• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan lost the Mandate of Heaven and must be removed ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
It's a fucking baseball game. If anyone was a baseball fan they would have bought a PS3 or PS4 to play the franchise and likely go PS5. I doubt they are moving to XBox Series X/S because of gamepass day 1. I've zero interest in baseball but I'd rather non-exclusive sports franchises. I wish other sports groups were more active in protecting their video game franchise reputation and possible outreach.
It's Rounders, and a lot of Americans love Rounders, it was always going to be a big deal..

Me? I'd rather play sports for real and leave gaming to shooting Nazis or some shite. I just dont get sports games, or Guitar hero. I play the guitar and just see the time wasted playing Guitar hero as time spent learning it for real..

Meh, stuff.

When I say that "Jim must leave" I say with a bit of sarcasm. While he may be "the problem" in the present moment, just switching him for another person isn't the solution. The real problem and solution involves his policies, how the Playstation ship is being steered.
What I'm talking about and I'm concerned is not for the current profits and success, it's about long term brand strength, recognition, "prestige". He is weakening the Playstation brand and mindshare, others explained his failure very well with the MLB situation, he failed there. And not only with the consumers, with the developers also after the 180º turn they did with the small developers and indies mid gen. Imagine being invited to built the house just to be booted in the streets like Sony is doing with all those online-only games in the store the will be closed?

What's his goal? Turn Playstation into Xbox? Focus on services instead of games while abandons the Japanese market to Nintendo?
He is running the the game branch like it was a movie studio trusting the just two black busters a year will pay the bills.

Three

• Not treat owners of older consoles with digital capabilities with disdain - keep the PS3 and Vita stores running. I'm baffled that people are ok with this. It would be like Steam saying they will stop selling games that released prior to 2013/14 on their storefront, there would be riots. It's a zero respect move.
  • In relation to the first point, get PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP/Vita emulation on PS5 sorted out once and for all. Sony have a back catalogue that is up there with Nintendo's, use it. They can also use that opportunity to roll the PS3/Vita stores into the current one.
  • Scrap the first party cross gen games. They said they wouldn't do it, do as you say, don't bullshit people.
  • Price your games appropriately. Returnal for $70 is a joke and stinks of greed. They are setting it up to get destroyed in the press and sales due to that decision alone.
  • What's going on with VR? Yes it's niche but it's an area of innovation that differentiates you from your competitors, talk about it and use it to your advantage.
  • What's going on with their studios in Japan? For me the quirky Japanese titles are what made playstation, astrobot is a nice throwback to that but we need more, not less of that. If Hulst and Ryan can't see or don't recognise that then they probably aren't the right people to take playstation forward and Sony need executives that respect the roots of the brand.
And the big one:
  • Sort your fucking contracts out. They somehow turned what was once a position of strength with the MLB into a weakness. When the MLB said it needs to go multiplat or they won't allow Sony to develop it anymore how did they not think that in that situation it's more hassle and work for the MLB to go out there and find a new developer who will need to start from scratch than it is for them to continue their relationship with Sony? The conversion should have been "ok, we will continue to do it and make it multiplatform but what do we get in return?". Also realise that gamepass is the best thing your competitor has going for then so get something written in there that prevents the game you developed from appearing on the service. Them getting blindsided there tells everyone they don't have the correct mindset when approaching any of this. Don't be surprised if Kojima ends up in bed with Microsoft in the next few months.
The PS5 is currently living off the success of the PS4 (as the PS3 did in relation to the PS2 when it launched) but that won't last much longer if the current trajectory continues.
I agree with all this from a PR perspective but I think some of your points are conflicting from a financial one.

They are either focused on next gen or previous generations. Scrapping the previous gen entirely and making every single game next gen only would be a disaster for the studios and kill the previous gen stores even quicker. Part of why Japan Studios didn't make enough profit and restructured was because they released next gen only games. Astrobot which they gave to all PS5 owners for free and Demon's Souls. The PS5 install base is small. You would be setting yourself up for disaster if every single game you released was next gen only. They still have more next gen only games than anyone else though. The store for a console 2 generations old will close because they get little to no sales and keeping them up would cost them, that's the only reason. You can still download your games. In 2010 the same thing happened to the OG Xbox. If BC was a thing they focused on this may have been different.

I get the perception thing. I get the PR perspective. It's "bad news" for console wars but truly when was the last time you bought a PS3 game from the store?

The MLB thing sure is shitty too in terms of look but I imagine what they get out of it might be microtransaction sales. Don't know what the contract is like but it would kind of be a shitty move to block the game from other services especially if it means less money for your studio. Not sure how I would feel about that. It would be like MS blocking minecraft just for the wars.

I agree that Sony should invest in BC with PS3 to PS1 outside of PSNow just for the good will but their PR and their focus is moving people on to the PS5 while keeping their studios funded. Financially everything they are doing seems to make sense to me and they are funding the move to next gen more than others.

Last edited:

Aldynes

From reading most of the post here, it seems we got arrogant Sony back, it gives me flashback of the early PS3 era, that sucks especially when you came after the PS4, they mostly did an home run since 2013 with Microsoft fucking up big time with the Xbox One, now we're gonna see the bad side of Sony again, Microsoft tried the same back then just after the 360, the Xbox One was supposed to be digital only, DRM, always internet connected TV focused and kinect, now they are pushing the consumer benefits side more to regain their leader position, it's just this everywhere, politics, restaurants, business in general.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah just the like the PS3 era. They’ll keep pushing this failed idea and force it to work until it comes bite them in the ass later.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Replace Inafune's name with Jim Ryan:

AvsfC.png

longdi

Banned
From reading most of the post here, it seems we got arrogant Sony back, it gives me flashback of the early PS3 era, that sucks especially when you came after the PS4, they mostly did an home run since 2013 with Microsoft fucking up big time with the Xbox One, now we're gonna see the bad side of Sony again, Microsoft tried the same back then just after the 360, the Xbox One was supposed to be digital only, DRM, always internet connected TV focused and kinect, now they are pushing the consumer benefits side more to regain their leader position, it's just this everywhere, politics, restaurants, business in general.

Not just arrogant but ignorant.
At least with Kutaragi, he has a vision for tomorrow, just that Sony Corp dont have the resources to execute.
I have no idea what is Jimbo vision? Put all the budget behind big narrative games, and then spin off into TV movies? Meanwhile buy out short term exclusives deal with 3rd parties? Increase games prices and port older games to PC for extra revenue? 🤷‍♀️

So for Jim Ryan to be better, with these so called "fans" concerns, they should copy the strategy of their losing competitor who makes a third of their revenue and give up their formula that got them to this point? kay.

Last edited:
  • Not treat owners of older consoles with digital capabilities with disdain - keep the PS3 and Vita stores running. I'm baffled that people are ok with this. It would be like Steam saying they will stop selling games that released prior to 2013/14 on their storefront, there would be riots. It's a zero respect move.
  • In relation to the first point, get PS3/PS2/PS1/PSP/Vita emulation on PS5 sorted out once and for all. Sony have a back catalogue that is up there with Nintendo's, use it. They can also use that opportunity to roll the PS3/Vita stores into the current one.
  • Scrap the first party cross gen games. They said they wouldn't do it, do as you say, don't bullshit people.
  • Price your games appropriately. Returnal for $70 is a joke and stinks of greed. They are setting it up to get destroyed in the press and sales due to that decision alone.
  • What's going on with VR? Yes it's niche but it's an area of innovation that differentiates you from your competitors, talk about it and use it to your advantage.
  • What's going on with their studios in Japan? For me the quirky Japanese titles are what made playstation, astrobot is a nice throwback to that but we need more, not less of that. If Hulst and Ryan can't see or don't recognise that then they probably aren't the right people to take playstation forward and Sony need executives that respect the roots of the brand.
And the big one:
  • Sort your fucking contracts out. They somehow turned what was once a position of strength with the MLB into a weakness. When the MLB said it needs to go multiplat or they won't allow Sony to develop it anymore how did they not think that in that situation it's more hassle and work for the MLB to go out there and find a new developer who will need to start from scratch than it is for them to continue their relationship with Sony? The conversion should have been "ok, we will continue to do it and make it multiplatform but what do we get in return?". Also realise that gamepass is the best thing your competitor has going for then so get something written in there that prevents the game you developed from appearing on the service. Them getting blindsided there tells everyone they don't have the correct mindset when approaching any of this. Don't be surprised if Kojima ends up in bed with Microsoft in the next few months.
The PS5 is currently living off the success of the PS4 (as the PS3 did in relation to the PS2 when it launched) but that won't last much longer if the current trajectory continues.

Excellent points bro.

but ps4 store getting shut seems more probable than them following these.

Hmm

doesnt seem arrogant.

seems more like "let me lie there while you kick me after I fuck up" sort of.

It's just amazing how a bunch of forum warriors are actually better at running Sony than Sony themselves! Why won't they listen to the real experts 😢

Sony are doomed 💔

• Triggered
Reactions: GHG

quest

Not Banned from OT
So for Jim Ryan to be better, with these so called "fans" concerns, they should copy the strategy of their losing competitor who makes a third of their revenue and give up their formula that got them to this point? kay.
You mean treating customers who purchased products with a little respect instead of a piggy bank? The ps3 and vita store is messed up and if Phil did it you be first to jump on Microsoft for screwing paying customers.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
It's just amazing how a bunch of forum warriors are actually better at running Sony than Sony themselves! Why won't they listen to the real experts 😢

Sony are doomed 💔

You don't need to run a business to understand the difference between Shuhei Yoshida, Kaz Hirai, Shawn Layden, and Jim Ryan and what they've all brought to the table under their individual leaderships.

If you think you do, you haven't been paying attention.

You mean treating customers who purchased products with a little respect instead of a piggy bank? The ps3 and vita store is messed up and if Phil did it you be first to jump on Microsoft for screwing paying customers.
oh trust me, it sucks what they are doing. I spent a lot on the PSN store in the early days and even have a PSPgo with its proprietary charger and how they abandoned the MediaGo app for handling data. Fact is all these companies do it all for money, there is no good samaritan. Everyone knows the early days of PSN and PS3 how the hardware and network was stitched together and has never been on par with Xbox Live. So most likely they are getting rid of the mess of the early days to hopefully make an improvement on the store so these corporations can milk us more.

Keihart

I agree with all this from a PR perspective but I think some of your points are conflicting from a financial one.

They are either focused on next gen or previous generations. Scrapping the previous gen entirely and making every single game next gen only would be a disaster for the studios and kill the previous gen stores even quicker. Part of why Japan Studios didn't make enough profit and restructured was because they released next gen only games. Astrobot which they gave to all PS5 owners for free and Demon's Souls. The PS5 install base is small. You would be setting yourself up for disaster if every single game you released was next gen only. They still have more next gen only games than anyone else though. The store for a console 2 generations old will close because they get little to no sales and keeping them up would cost them, that's the only reason. You can still download your games. In 2010 the same thing happened to the OG Xbox. If BC was a thing they focused on this may have been different.

I get the perception thing. I get the PR perspective. It's "bad news" for console wars but truly when was the last time you bought a PS3 game from the store?

The MLB thing sure is shitty too in terms of look but I imagine what they get out of it might be microtransaction sales. Don't know what the contract is like but it would kind of be a shitty move to block the game from other services especially if it means less money for your studio. Not sure how I would feel about that. It would be like MS blocking minecraft just for the wars.

I agree that Sony should invest in BC with PS3 to PS1 outside of PSNow just for the good will but their PR and their focus is moving people on to the PS5 while keeping their studios funded. Financially everything they are doing seems to make sense to me and they are funding the move to next gen more than others.
You do realize that every gen , from ps1 to 4, had not a single one cross gen first party tittle?

Reactions: GHG

quest

Not Banned from OT
oh trust me, it sucks what they are doing. I spent a lot on the PSN store in the early days and even have a PSPgo with its proprietary charger and how they abandoned the MediaGo app for handling data. Fact is all these companies do it all for money, there is no good samaritan. Everyone knows the early days of PSN and PS3 how the hardware and network was stitched together and has never been on par with Xbox Live. So most likely they are getting rid of the mess of the early days to hopefully make an improvement on the store so these corporations can milk us more.

Sony has a great ps1,ps2 emulator those games don't have network hooks. They could bring those to the ps4,ps5 for those ps3 owners like us. I purchased ps1 games I'm still pissed about. I see no issues to do it for those games.

thelastword

Banned
That's pretty much what I'm reading. You have summed it up nicely....

Also, people comparing Steam to Vita/PS3.PSP are comparing apples to oranges, perhaps even disingenuously. Steam has always been a dedicated digital storefront, steam can't just close it's store. When you buy a console, there is a generation that comes with it for a reason, when a new generation launches, the old one eventually subsides. This has been the console DNA for ages, this is nothing new being imposed by Jim here. Interestingly, the same people who want no cross gen games for next gen are also entitled enough to demand that Sony allows them access to their older libraries on PS5. So you don't want crossgen games on PS5, but are demanding much older titles from much older consoles on it....There is too much inconsistency and lack of logic with the points and demands being made.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
This idea is probably being discussed on other topics already but I want to focus here, because I had to put this out and record a prediction.

Jim-Ryan-PS5.jpg

This man is putting Dom Mattrick to shame, remember him?
How can a person be so fucking wrong? The Playstation always strived and blossomed by it's variety, the mix of East and West, combining Nintendo and Microsoft strengths. But then the PS4 happens, it's a huge success, the western studios shine and this imbecile thinks, "oh, this is our strong point, lets put all our chips in this!" and goes off killing everything else. What he is doing with Sony Japan is a capital sin, the focus on big AAA "western-style" games is a mistake, no one can "survive" playing just games like that. And now destroying the online store... instead of taking advantage of the celebrated Playstation catalog and making a lot of money at least to compensate from getting rid of the eastern studios, no, he wants to erase that past! Is he insane?! How can anyone even think about that? It's his answer to the backwards compatibility? Getting rid of the older games?

The way I'm seeing things going I'm willing to bet that this generation will become one of the biggest and most spectacular downfall stories of our time.
Nintendo's momentum will not stop, Microsoft can only grow and they are actually putting the effort to make this happen.
Sony is doing nothing besides trying to kill itself.

For a "sony fanboy" like me will be sad to see, but it'll be deserved.
MZC7IvD.gif

Three

You do realize that every gen , from ps1 to 4, had not a single one cross gen first party tittle?
Not exactly correct (San Diego Studios continued to make crossgen PS3/PS4 games all the way up to 2016, MLB The Show) but you have a point nonetheless. we saw the shift this gen. Nintendo started porting Wii U games over to switch. MS stopped making first party next gen only games at launch entirely.
The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 was very popular at launch maybe even the most popular PS4 first party game. GT6 got lambasted for not being on PS4 but launching near the same time. We had Infamous SS, Killzone shadowfall, and Resogun. Now we have Demon's souls, Astrobot, Returnal, and Ratchet and Clank spread out. They are making PS5 only games and putting in more effort than most but not everything has to be PS5 only, whatever works for the studio.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
The fanboyism here is out of control.

My Xbox does certain things much better than my PS5 does. I've owned every Playstation since 1995 and have always supported the brand... but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend they're the best at everything. They aren't.

Sometimes when a brand is the underdog they fight a little harder.... and the effort Microsoft has made with Gamepass, backward compatibility, smart delivery, the cross save and game pass bonus for my PC, VRR on my C9.... They're doing a great job. I am WAY more satisfied with Xbox than I was 2 years ago. I'm less satisfied today than I was with Sony 2 years ago. If you're offended by that statement somehow then you're daft. There's nothing personal about it.

And my being a Playstation fan since 1995 is partly why I'm annoyed.... because when I think how great it would be to pop in a PS2 disc into my PS5 like I do a 360 game into my Series X... it's an example of Sony saying "Who cares? And Microsoft saying "We do".

GHG

Gold Member

They have made a shit ton of money from the PS4, peripherals, game sales and subscriptions. In light of that the only reason they would shut down the PS3/Vita storefronts and inappropriately price games is greed.

I still have my PS3 hooked up to the main TV for the odd occasion I want to play an older game in the living room because Sony have done a shit job with backwards compatibility. If they had done an adequate job in that area then that wouldn't be necessary and I could just play those games from my pro or PS5.

You persuade/incentivise people to upgrade and/or spend more time with newer hardware, not force them via forced obsolescence.

Yes the install base of the PS5 is small but since when was that ever a problem before when transitioning to new generations? We've always had a ton of 3rd party cross gen games and from the perspective of a 3rd party publisher that's understandable since selling their games is literally their only route to revenue. Platform holders on the other hand make money from every single game sold, regardless of whether they made it, the consoles, the peripherals, the subscriptions, etc. Quite frankly I don't care about them making extra money on cross gen games, I don't get bonuses based on them doing that. What I care about is them making games built around the hardware I purchase. That's the whole reason to buy new consoles - to progress. What next, they stop taking financial risks with their first party games like Xbox last gen when they were repeatedly pumping Halo/Gears/Forza?

If they don't do things that suit me from a PC/console owner point of view and I can't have any trust in them from a longevity standpoint then I'll stop wasting my time and take my money elsewhere. I did it before when they shat the bed with the start of the PS3 gen and I'll gladly do it again. The only thing they seem to have got right with the PS5 at the moment is the hardware. I've had a great time with Demon's Souls but in every other aspect they need to get their shit together. I don't agree with sticking by companies when they treat you poorly as a consumer and I disagree with anybody else who decides to do so in such circumstances.

Last edited:
Sony has a great ps1,ps2 emulator those games don't have network hooks. They could bring those to the ps4,ps5 for those ps3 owners like us. I purchased ps1 games I'm still pissed about. I see no issues to do it for those games.
all we can do is hope. If I have learned anything from the lead up to launch of this generation, doesn't mean that because MS is flooding the headlines as usual and Sony is keeping quiet that they aren't doing anything. Same cycle every time. That's why I never buy consoles at launch more so during a pandemic. Instead of worrying of missing features with current gen stuff, just recently Bloodborne clicked for me, and I don't care about anything PS5 till they do that game justice. :)) Wishlist would be if they could do something like some sort of AI upscaling and fixed FPS for all my old digital PSone games.

If anything they are going backwards instead of being forward thinking.

Give me one good reason why in 2021 they need to shut down a digital storefront.
Because almost nobody used those stores anymore that’s why. I can’t prove shit but I guarantee you and others that complain haven’t thought about or touched the ps3,vita or lol psp store in years or are just fanboys being fanboys.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Because almost nobody used those stores anymore that’s why. I can’t prove shit but I guarantee you and others that complain haven’t thought about or touched the ps3,vita or lol psp store in years or are just fanboys being fanboys.

I’ve earned trophies in 5 Vita games since 2020; Borderlands 2, Uncharted Golden Abyss, Fez, Rayman Legends & Hotline Miami.

I’m also working through my final God of War plat on PS3; Ghost of Sparta.

I’m still relatively involved in the PS3 scene, I sold the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy last month for £35 and bought Dragon’s Dogma; Dark Arisen for it. Keeping an eye out for Puppeteer but it’s a bomb.

I don’t understand why it’s hard to accept that some people still use these consoles, and why having access to the store is obviously important to them.

I have a PS4, Series S and Switch too, but just because the PS3 is old doesn’t mean it’s bad or irrelevant. Games don’t go bad with time.

What a pathetic thread man, the guy is doing a fine job, what is he doing to make you make this thread?? Please enlighten me.
And PS5 has been out for 5 months.

sad for this guy...he has to be the face of playstation right now and take all the hate for every negative story regardless of what he had to do with it.
No need to pity him. I'm certain he has and earns more money than everyone who posted in this thread and counting and if he wanted to do better he could just try and listen. He doesn't care and he is a bean counting sucker.

I think all these threads are ridiculous to a fault, as, if you can't do anything about it why bother. But it's true that he just doesn't get it and will probably shield himself with people who are the same as him. And it might just go well, I mean look at Tim Cook at apple, dude has zero vision, zero charisma and runs the company like he is playing age of empires on easy. But it still prints money even if most of the time they're effectively ripping someone off.
As for the overall topic on Jim Ryan, I find it to be interesting. So, PS5 is really the first system we can point at as "this is on you" and it's selling out. I think what has happened is, Jim Ryan isn't interested in having a foundational relationship with gamers. Instead, he just wants to make the most amount of money possible. Almost... EA like in a sense. People can hate on EA and their CEO, but there is no doubt they still churn out some really good games at times and that company knows how to shit money for breakfast. Jim Ryan is running their gaming side of things in a similar way.
Well, that's what people are reacting to.

EA strategy works because of yearly sports titles, but I can't think of something really good they published this generation without massive caveats like micro-transactions everywhere as they are focusing too much on money. I'm not sure it's a good position for a console manufacturer to be and it'll only get worse with time - it also doesn't have anything to do with vision. He will also ouster a lot of people from it's platform, just like EA did (at several points, EA actually had creators working for them), current EA is a conveyor belt, not somewhere you go to make a game with heart. A platform holder needs those titles to drive sales, not FIFA/Madden, and so on.

THAT SAID, he is not going anywhere soon, even if he was mismanaging the company (and financially he isn't, so what we are talking about while real is abstract and can't be easily put into words for investors and the like) gaming is seeing growth because of the pandemic. He either retires before next gen, or has to screw the PS6 launch.

AND, to be honest a few months ago Microsoft needed all the help they could get to get this generation underway for them. If this helps in the direction of a 50:50 marketshare between the both I think that's positive.

Great post by the way, I enjoyed reading it.

Last edited:

LastBattle

He is doing fine. Xbox has just been improving, that is why you feel this way. He launched a wildly successful console in the middle of a pandemic. If Horizon/God of War/Naughty Dog all fail with their next games then you might have a point but relax. I will say that the 70$ price point is a point of contention for me and a lot of other gamers, but just because the competition is improving doesn't mean he is doing a bad job
I agree, Xbox is kicking goals so far this gen. It’s just that OP is not used to healthy competition with the domination of Sony last gen. Hell, I made my mind up to purchase a PS5, especially after all the amazing PS4 exclusives. But Series X + game pass + EA Play + studio acquisitions was too good of a deal to pass up making me switch to buying a series X first. Phil Spencer is
Making all the competition look bad right now.

GHG

Gold Member

Nope, still have the PS3 hooked up for reasons already stated in this thread.

Hope you're looking forward to defending them in the same way in 5 years time when the PS4 store is shut down now that the precedent has been set.

Serengrad

Neo Member
Nope, still have the PS3 hooked up for reasons already stated in this thread.

Hope you're looking forward to defending them in the same way in 5 years time when the PS4 store is shut down now that the precedent has been set.
PS3 and Vita had been silo'd off from the jump, besides cross-buy games, which very explicitly entails you multiple discrete versions of the game.

Compared to PS4 games where I download the exact same data file and run it on my PS5. You don't see why people may not see it the same as bespoke marketplaces?

GHG

Gold Member
PS3 and Vita had been silo'd off from the jump, besides cross-buy games, which very explicitly entails you multiple discrete versions of the game.

Compared to PS4 games where I download the exact same data file and run it on my PS5. You don't see why people may not see it the same as bespoke marketplaces?

So do you not think the onus is on Sony to sort that out and potentially merge the stores rather than cutting the PS3 and Vita stores all together?

Are we talking about some small company here that lacks resources and money or are we talking about Sony?

Serengrad

Neo Member
So do you not think the onus is on Sony to sort that out and potentially merge the stores rather than cutting the PS3 and Vita stores all together?

Are we talking about some small company here that lacks resources and money or are we talking about Sony?
So do you not want to recognize that PS4 games that are playable on PS5 is a different matter than games that are only playable on systems that haven't been manufactured for years? Or do you want to try to put words in my mouth?

luffie

Jim just need to produce Bloodborne 2, Persona 6, GoW2 FF7R part 2 and they will win this gen again. Meanwhile, enjoy your Gears 6.

Jim just need to produce Bloodborne 2, Persona 6, GoW2 FF7R part 2 and they will win this gen again. Meanwhile, enjoy your Gears 6.

Considering that in order for Sony (Or Jim as you put it) to produce Persona 6 and FF7R part 2, it would mean Sony would probably have had to buy Sega and Square Enix, then yeah that would probably win them the generation, because it would completely change the entire gaming landscape.

Keihart

Considering that in order for Sony (Or Jim as you put it) to produce Persona 6 and FF7R part 2, it would mean Sony would probably have had to buy Sega and Square Enix, then yeah that would probably win them the generation, because it would completely change the entire gaming landscape.
Honestly, yes. Sega it's so fucking chad lately that if they somehow ended up in any of the big 3 as first party i would make that my home for most video games. Fucking SMT, Persona and Yakuza for starters, imagine the amount of fucking good games they would pump out with a little more financial stability.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Probs best not to engage with a weaponised fanboy like yourself; but, considering Sony have released 5 Uncharted games, 7 God of War games and 7 Gran Turismo games the mantle of sequel producer sort of sits with both companies equally now.

And literally out of the 4 games you mentioned, 3 of them aren’t even produced by Sony. Unless Atlus, From and Square Enix are now all Sony studios and I missed the memo.

luffie

Probs best not to engage with a weaponised fanboy like yourself; but, considering Sony have released 5 Uncharted games, 7 God of War games and 7 Gran Turismo games the mantle of sequel producer sort of sits with both companies equally now.

And literally out of the 4 games you mentioned, 3 of them aren’t even produced by Sony. Unless Atlus, From and Square Enix are now all Sony studios and I missed the memo.
Lol, I'm not a fanboy tho, but what is Microsoft doing? MS can always pay them to develop these games too no?

But MS didn't, 5 Uncharted later, 7 GoW later, 5 Personas later etc, and their best proposal is still Gears and Halo infinite. I could mention more great PS exclusives, but that would be overkill.

For all the money in the world, MS doesn't make good choices for developing games.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Lol, I'm not a fanboy tho, but what is Microsoft doing? MS can always pay them to develop these games too no?

But MS didn't, 5 Uncharted later, 7 GoW later, 5 Personas later etc, and their best proposal is still Gears and Halo infinite. I could mention more great PS exclusives, but that would be overkill.

For all the money in the world, MS doesn't make good choices for developing games.
Ori is the most original and high quality IP that I played last gen, Sea of Thieves is really fun too. Flight Sim, top class.

And what are MS doing? You might have somehow missed it but they’re buying studios, and Zenimax, like this;

give me christmas GIF by Target

I miss the days when Jim Ryan had to talk to the Metro Interviewer who used to grill him about the Vita and Jim Ryan had to make an awkward answer about Playstation Pets being a Killer App on the Vita. (even if he was joking)

Nothing against the guy myself but he shouldn't have dropped most/all of Sony Japan Studios. He could have got fresh blood in there (Ex-Nintendo/Konami/Capcom people) or something. At the very least keep the talented people on board and get them to make smaller games if they were going to shrink the Studio....feels very short sighted.

luffie

Sony doesn't have to, they are already producing those exclusives for Sony no? If they bought it then of course it will be insane acquisition.

MS could have paid FromSoft for just one Souls game but they didn't. If people truly enjoy Xbox's games then more power to them, but there's nothing uniquely great about the games/exclusives that they produce. If I'm unable to play Gears of Halo Infinite elsewhere, I'm not missing out, but I'm definitely I'm missing out when I can't play Bloodborne, P5, TLOU, Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima etc because they are great games that are unavailable elsewhere. Same goes for Nintendo.

Now the best case is probably Doom franchise, MS can make it exclusive and pc players will probably rage, but other than that Fallout & Elder Scrolls doesn't look promising after Bethesda's recent performance.

First of all, Sony is not at all involved with Persona, and their only involvement with FF7R is paying to keep it off other platforms (not paying them to develop it), and there's a good chance Persona will stop being a Playstation exclusive some time soon.

Also going forward Xbox will have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Wolfenstein, Starfield, Fable, Perfect Dark, The Outer Worlds, Everwild, Avowed, Hellblade, and possibly Dishonored and Prey (depends on what Arkane decides to make going forward). And that doesn't even cover half of the studios or include the Halo/Gears/Forza franchises (which are still very good). You are either a fanboy, working with outdated info, or have an incredibly specific set of video games you like where Halo and Gears are the only Xbox games you even have a vague interest in despite liking all the Playstation ones.

luffie

Ori is the most original and high quality IP that I played last gen, Sea of Thieves is really fun too. Flight Sim, top class.

And what are MS doing? You might have somehow missed it but they’re buying studios, and Zenimax, like this;

give me christmas GIF by Target
Hey, good for you if you are enjoying Ori, Sea of Thieves etc. But are they great experiences like Bloodborne, GoT, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Persona 5, that makes people think "damn, this is why Xbox/MS is so goodddd?"
The sales and reaction doesn't seem to indicate so.

Going by recent Zenimax records, it meant little.

When MS buys devs like From, Atlus or drop game changer games like BoTW, Animal Crossing & Mario Odyssey, then my heart will probably skip a beat.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Hey, good for you if you are enjoying Ori, Sea of Thieves etc. But are they great experiences like Bloodborne, GoT, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Persona 5, that makes people think "damn, this is why Xbox/MS is so goodddd?"
The sales and reaction doesn't seem to indicate so.

Going by recent Zenimax records, it meant little.

When MS buys devs like From, Atlus or drop game changer games like BoTW, Animal Crossing & Mario Odyssey, then my heart will probably skip a beat.
I mean, I platted Bloodborne but it’s a From game. I platted Demon’s Souls back on my PS3 in May 2014, according to PSN Profiles. The Last of Us 2 is dog shit in my opinion. I’d also say yes, Ori is equal to those experiences, I’d be interested to know if you’ve actually played either of them.

As for recent Zeni games;
Doom 2016 87 Metacritic
Doom Eternal 88 Metacritic
Wolfenstein 2 88 Metacritic
Fallout 4 88 Metacritic
Prey 84 Metacritic
Dishonoured 2 88 Metacritic

I’m not sure what point you’re tying to make as their record is as strong as it gets, unless you’re disingenuously using Fallout 76 as your sole metric of success?

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

The last few months have been very bad for Sony, I would not attribute it especially to Jim Ryan as some fanboys try to do, but rather with the long-term vision of the business, that is why for the first time in my life I am closer to buy an Xbox Series X than a PS5.

- The most recent indication is the closure of the PS Store and the disappearance of classic PS1 and PS2 titles
- The problems with the Dualsense controls
- I have to have 4 consoles to be able to play the vast collection of digitals that I have
- Cbomb
- PS now, after 8 years, it is still no better than Gamepass that came like, i don't know, 3 years? and it is not even available worldwide.
- Japan Studios closure
- Exclusives at 70 dollars, in some countries, the exclusives have a cost of 100 bucks
- PS5 does not have remote play enabled yet
- PS5 does not have an update of what that internal SSD can be used.

Seriously Sony, I got bored of you

ReBurn

Gold Member
Personally I like the idea of Sony first party coming to PC day 1. I think it's some Jim Ryan could do right.

Sure, it may mean some people won't have to buy a console to play first party games, but it will increase access to awesome games for more people. Since software is where most of the money is made it makes sense. It also increases the incentive for developers to release software sooner since software sales won't be limited by the size of the console install base. I'm having a hard time seeing the downside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom