• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on PS5's Response to Game Pass: "There Is News to Come, But Not Today"

JLB

Banned
More than 10 games a month that usually last a year vs 3 a month that last 3 months.

The entire EA subscription.

Arguably a better quality selection. I know there was a metacritic list floating around a few months ago.

Reduced prices on games.

It's not just first party games day and date. The Last of Us ps3 is streamable,but the Remastered version is not in Now.

Now is good, but it's not even in the same league as Gamepass.

And PC gamepass.
And Xbox Live.
And Xcloud.

But you know, the same ones that said that Gamepass is bad for the industry, and not sustainable, incompatible with Sony strategy, bla bla will flip flop in a second.

Stuart360

Gold Member
This is just the way gaming is going, like most entertainment.
Subscription services, then adding cloud gaming to that sub service, then over time more and more poeple will start using cloud gaming, until a high enough percentage of gamers use it for Microsoft and Sony to stop making consoles.
Its just a shame it always needs Sony doing it before people accept it.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
In any case, it's Microsoft who has to continue copying and learning stuff from Sony. As an example, to stream games to consoles, because MS has 0 subscribers streaming games on console as of now and Sony has beed doing it since 2014.
Let's be honest with ourselves here. The only reason Sony has added game downloads to PS Now is because of game pass. It didn't become a worthwhile subscription until that was possible. And nobody is excited about streaming old games to consoles. There's literally no reason to stream if all of the games on the service can be installed and played locally. PS Now can't do that.

That said, PS Now offers more downloadable games than game pass. So it not a bad value. But Microsoft's promise of day 1 releases of first party games is going to keep that service out in the forefront of consumer value mindshare, especially once the first party titles start to drop. It will be interesting to see how long it takes Sony to catch up there.

SaucyJack

So, Sony must clearly have well over the 15 million Gamepass Subscribers having launched into open beta long before? 20 million subscribers or so, right? Maybe 30 million?
I mean, if Sony only had 2.2 million or so subscribers for their streaming service, that would be pretty darn embarrassing, given the lead time. Doubly so given Ryan’s original comments dismissing Gamepass.

Or, have Sony botched the messaging and been entirely non-committal on the service, leaving them three years behind were Gamepass is today?

They’ve also not been giving it away for $1. Maybe that’s a factor too 🤷‍♂️

Dabaus

Banned
Jim really knows how to throw cold water on any sort of hype. I’ll give Phil credit for this, he knows what his audience wants to hear.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Did Jim Ryan take a NyQuil before these interviews? PS Now is the competitor. You can download PS4 games and play natively and in that regard it is exactly the same as GP.

even if they do have a better replacement coming (doubtful unless they are bringing full PS3/PS2/PS1 BC to PS5), why not skip this dumb tease and wait until you can show something.

Last edited:

Duchess

Would be good to get all the first party PlayStation Hits permanently added to PS Now. Would certainly up the appeal to some.

I recently got PS Now and, for me, it's a better deal than PS+. We know about the game downloads, but you can also multiplayer the PS Now games with someone else without needing PS+.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My intuition is that Ryan is being somewhat coy because they have to wait to make a joint announcement with a key strategic partner or partners.

It could be any number of things because what this is all about from Sony's perspective is leveraging the Playstation brand as a competitive advantage within the streaming and service space. A potentially valuable and appealing partner for other parties wishing to compete against MS.

See when it comes to Microsoft exclusive AAA to PlayStations exclusive AAA Sony definitely focuses more on the single player aspect but Microsoft does a mixture of single player, multiplayer. with that Microsoft can do game pass with their games day one because they have microtransactions in their game which if you guys remember right Activision alone made more money in a quarter than they ever do selling call of duty for the whole year.

Ozrimandias

Gamepass is available almost everywhere. And it was announced like in....maybe 2018?

PS now is available only in 17 countries and it was announced in 2013.

No PS Now in Latin America yet.....

"Big news but not today" (like Not ever.....)

LordCBH

Considering you can download PS4 compatible games to your PS4 (and PS5? I haven’t used it on PS5) with PS Now, it wouldn’t be too difficult for them to adapt PS Now to make it more mass market appeal.

iHaunter

Gamepass is available almost everywhere. And it was announced like in....maybe 2018?

PS now is available only in 17 countries and it was announced in 2013.

No PS Now in Latin America yet.....

"Big news but not today" (like Not ever.....)
It's not so simple as that. Microsoft has it everywhere because they licensing rights in literally every country because of their Business division. It's not as easy as flipping a switch. They already have their hands in almost every country with O365 and other Microsoft business products.

Kerotan

It will be a very long time if ever before Sony put their block busters on a sub costing just €10 a month. They are worth so much more. If their output was trash and not selling they'd probably consider it.

Bungie

I could see Sony's gamepass being more like how EA Play is, with it's feature to play their new releases for 10 hours & then they will eventually come to PS Pass once they aren't considered new.

jaysius

Banned
Another nugget to roll into a shitsnowman, why of all the “jumping at shadows” rumours and barely legitimate rumours are they almost all from the Sony camp? Is the buyers remorse that strong that you need to create shit to feel good about your purchase?

Go play some fucking games already.

I heard that the PS6 is going to be powered by a small nuclear reactor, I’ve got it from a GREAT SOURCE some insane guy on the subway uttered it then some guy tweeted it. I lost the link, but there are MORE SURPRISES THAN EXPECTED!

Some people bought a Ford Fusion(others a Ford Focus) while some people bought a Chevy Malibu, stop trying to trick yourselves into thinking you got a Chevy Impala, no matter how many more cup holders your Malibu has or maybe Chevy put some “special grease“ somewhere, you‘re never going to have a Camaro so stop kidding yourself. Both cars drive good, but neither are luxury sedans, they’re respectable in their class but that’s it.

Last edited:
Gamepass is likely at 20 million plus subscribers now If Sony don't improve their PS Now offering they will be left in the dust so smart move to prepare for the future.

Jim "Flip-Flop" Ryan strikes again...

GZpxYmD.jpg

jaysius

Banned
Gamepass is likely at 20 million plus subscribers now If Sony don't improve their PS Now offering they will be left in the dust so smart move to prepare for the future.
They’re even tiering up Plus now, just they’re charging the same amount, yet PS5 owners are getting more value while PS4 owners just get shit. So they’re fucking up their own shit themselves.

So, Sony must clearly have well over the 15 million Gamepass Subscribers having launched into open beta long before? 20 million subscribers or so, right? Maybe 30 million?
I mean, if Sony only had 2.2 million or so subscribers for their streaming service, that would be pretty darn embarrassing, given the lead time. Doubly so given Ryan’s original comments dismissing Gamepass.

Or, have Sony botched the messaging and been entirely non-committal on the service, leaving them three years behind were Gamepass is today?
PSN revenue is more than Xbox and Nintendo combined.
PlayStation are in no hurry to bring a direct competitor to GamePass when you look at the sheer numbers they have over Xbox in the digital realm.
Anyone can argue pioneering this or that.
In the end that don't mean shit. PSN is killing it.
The numbers don't lie.

Lol no. Just no.
Ninty and Xbox are in PlayStations dust here. PS already have a huge advantage here.
If Sony comes with a true GamePass competitor the numbers would skyrocket I can 100% guarantee you it would. PS user base is expanding at a rapid rate. So there is upwards of 110 million users for Sony to pitch their GamePass idea to.
The digital race is already lopsided in favor of PS currently. God help Xbox and Nintendo when Sony gets serious with a GamePass type service.

Gamerguy84

Already a member of both. Was letting my year of NOW expire for a while because I've played so much on it the past 11 months.

Well see what deal they have whether its a good price bundle, maybe something for long time subscribers(lol thats just a joke), or whatever they come up with to see if I'm buying it again.

Pretty sure they are opening bandwidth and let us stream at 1080. Its a good service though, like I said I've used it a bunch.

ZehDon

PlayStation are in no hurry to bring a direct competitor to GamePass when you look at the sheer numbers they have over Xbox in the digital realm.
Anyone can argue pioneering this or that.
In the end that don't mean shit. PSN is killing it.
The numbers don't lie.
Ok? No one arguing against PSN figures.

Iced Arcade

And like that the gamepass model will switch from terrible to amazing.

Will be a win for gamers and I'm sure Sony will enjoy a steady monthly revenue stream from it.

All they need to do is allow all those Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 ports that were released on the PS4 and all PS4 games within the first 4 years to come onto the ps5 as a service.

I dont think they should ever release any new games before at least two years after release.

That way they cater to fans who want this kind of service, while still maintaining their stand that exclusives and first party games shouldn't have their value partly diminished (having to recoup costs through MTX and DLC) through a game pass type service.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
All they need to do is allow all those Playstation, Playstation 2, Playstation 3 ports that were released on the PS4 and all PS4 games within the first 4 years to come onto the ps5 as a service.

I dont think they should ever release any new games before at least two years after release.

That way they cater to fans who want this kind of service, while still maintaining their stand that exclusives and first party games shouldn't have their value partly diminished (having to recoup costs through MTX and DLC) through a game pass type service.

PlayStation Universe(TM) ;).

Last edited:
Hahaha this thread is fucking funny, many of you went on for years how gamepass was the worst thing ever, but this will obviously be the best thing since sliced bread, and it will be 100% sustainable and goooooood for the industry no worries there am i right???

Also streaming is shit, xcloud ps now and onlive, i actually was a part of onlive back in the day

lm4PQjB.png

Also tried out PS NOW, it was a total shitshow of a service until they followed in gamepass footsteps and allowed for SOME downloadable titles, no one with any self respect wants to stream games.

Thats why gamepass is better, every game on there is available for download, pluss it has a PC gamepass with its own titles, its great if you have both a console and pc. "B..but sony supports pc toooo you can streeeeam" fuck off no one wants to stream games, the latency makes it utter trash.

Only way Sony can compete is if they reboot the whole service and put out their games day 1, in fact i would say its even to late to compete.

Exactly what I thought.

How can Microsofts 23 studios all make AAA titles just for gamepass.

Financially not viable unless they are multi platform.

My belief is most Microsoft studios will churn out shovelware for gamepass with the odd AAA title.

Gamepass will be no different to Netflix. Quantity and hardly any quality.
Because you silly goose, these games are still buyable outright and come with a 10% discount for being a GP subscriber.

That last line is a good laugh though, GP has many quality titles. Resident Evil 7, Titanfall 2, all of EA access, FF7, 8, 9, Forza Motorsport 7, Destiny 2 + all expansions, FH4, PUBG, Sea Of Thieves and so on so fourth.

It will soon have all playable Bethesda games too and I don’t care what anyone says about Netflix because the content it offers is way beyond what shitty television packages or any other streaming service can offer.

If you seriously believe all these studios would just give up their creativity and hard work to be turned into GP fillers then you’re wrong, most of them would simply walk away.

ANIMAL1975

You know PlayStation Now is Gaikai and Onlive fuse together right? You know the actual pioneers of Cloud Gaming.
You know nothing, do you know what games Gaikai and Onlive were streaming? What infrastructure and server farms are needed to stream pc games? Playstation now in the beginning was a platform to stream ps3 games, ps4 later. Gaikai was bought in the end of 2012 (no, you don't decide to make a worldwide cloud service, buy pc farm servers company and turn its infrastructure into a ps3 based one in one year) and Onlive was bought in 2015, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that were acquisitions to invest and expand on the service.

IDappa

A
Except for first party games releasing day and date on gamepass.. what is gampass offering that ps Now isn’t offering?
A good service

All hail Sony the company that can do no wrong, now that they are starting to actually get serious about a game service it is the best idea on the block. You guys remember how they bought into their own game streaming service and then failed to do anything with it and now it is the best thing in the gaming realm. Sony are going to revolutionise the gaming industry by charging people top dollar for their 6-12 month old releases and it's going to be great because sony's third person action games are awesome and have never been done before. Mark my words it is the second coming of Christ..

Last edited:

silentstorm

People don't fear the subscription model?

Seriously, you have Netflix example, increasing prices overtime. Besides more developers will want to create their own GamePass. So we will have multiple subscription model for playing 3 different games.

Besides games are rotating, so if the game is not anymore in gamepass/psnow you cant play.
You can...still buy the games, many games are there with discounts even, and first party games won't go out, and you can still buy those if you really want to own them.

Game Pass is a way to let people with little money play a ton of games, and think of them as really big demos that pratically give the games away if you beat them before they are rotated out, and if you buy them afterwards, you still keep your saves and progress.

No one is saying you can't buy the games on Game Pass, if anything, Microsoft still expects people to buy them after playing on Game Pass, apparently it has worked for some developers, with gamers trying games, liking them and then buying them, Inxile said they were pleasantly suprised with what happened to Wasteland 3.

Sure, many will just play the games and not buy anything...but they will still be able to talk about the games and generate word of mouth.

Top Bottom