• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on PS5's Response to Game Pass: "There Is News to Come, But Not Today"

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I've got a feeling you could be a fanboy, but can you back this up with numbers?

First hand experience from this guy, jump in:

Last edited:
First hand experience from this guy, jump in:

So an online quote from some guy, without any evidence is your answer to the question: Can you back that up with NUMBERS?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So an online quote from some guy, without any evidence is your answer to the question: Can you back that up with NUMBERS?

erro-faz-com-que-banner-do-playstation-now-apareca-na-psn-brasileira-137513.jpg

ZehDon

Gold Member
Why would they care much when PSN overall produces more money than the entire Xbox Division? Wait until you hear about the debts of that gamepass, lol.
So, you want me to believe that Sony didn’t try and better monitise PSNow during a time frame when Sony was bleeding money and looking at bankruptcy, because... PSN made some money?
What “debts” has Gamepass created, and why should anyone other than Microsoft’s shareholders care when, as I highlighted above, you didn’t seem to care about the debts of Sony as a whole when you misrepresented Sony’s treatment of PSNow?
Are you always this dishonest?

Tumle

What evidence are you looking for?
The 350 games that can be downloaded, the amount of games included in ps now?
They are all available on PlayStation’s webpage to go through..
I’m sorry I’m just not sure what evidence you want him to show on this particular request..

Mmnow

Except for first party games releasing day and date on gamepass.. what is gampass offering that ps Now isn’t offering?
More than 10 games a month that usually last a year vs 3 a month that last 3 months.

The entire EA subscription.

Arguably a better quality selection. I know there was a metacritic list floating around a few months ago.

Reduced prices on games.

It's not just first party games day and date. The Last of Us ps3 is streamable,but the Remastered version is not in Now.

Now is good, but it's not even in the same league as Gamepass.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I thought game pass was bad and people were happy to pay 70USD for remasters.

Well, they have a lot of value that they could realize with PSNow, perhaps a service focusing on the Playstation history. It doesn't need to be a direct competitor with game pass.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
To all the butthurts:

Download or stream
Stream over 800 PS4, PS3 and PS2 titles from a wide range of genres to your PS4 or Windows PC. Play as much as you like, save your progress, and continue playing on either device. Or pick from over 300 PS4 games to download to your PS4 console and they’ll be ready to play, in up to 4K resolution if you’re playing on PS4 Pro.

Whether you stream or download, your PS Now subscription includes full access to all available online multiplayer modes.

What evidence are you looking for?
The 350 games that can be downloaded, the amount of games included in ps now?
They are all available on PlayStation’s webpage to go through..
I’m sorry I’m just not sure what evidence you want him to show on this particular request..
He states something as a fact, but I just don't believe somebody because he says so. In a good discussion somebody who states something has te back it up with facts. I'm gonna read into it and I did see that revenue is high with PSN, but not PSNow per se.

But again I'm gonna read into it, but when MS is not releasing numbers around Xbox Live revenue, it's hard to really make a good comparrison.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So, you want me to believe that Sony didn’t try and better monitise PSNow during a time frame when Sony was bleeding money and looking at bankruptcy, because... PSN made some money?
What “debts” has Gamepass created, and why should anyone other than Microsoft’s shareholders care when, as I highlighted above, you didn’t seem to care about the debts of Sony as a whole when you misrepresented Sony’s treatment of PSNow?
Are you always this dishonest?

BTW, PSN: PlayStation Network.

Last edited:

fermcr

If Sony releases a Playstation "Gamepass" with PC versions of their biggest games, and, with new games, then I'll be interested.
If it's streaming service with old games, then they can keep that crap.

vkbest

I think a Sony gamepass with their exclusives could be an amazing move, allowing anyone to experience some of the best games of the last generation at a low price.

However it would be another example of Jim Ryan flip-flopping in a short space of time.

People don't fear the subscription model?

Seriously, you have Netflix example, increasing prices overtime. Besides more developers will want to create their own GamePass. So we will have multiple subscription model for playing 3 different games.

Besides games are rotating, so if the game is not anymore in gamepass/psnow you cant play.

EDMIX

Just merge plus and now for one low low price.

Might as well. PS Now (to me anyway) is just pointless. I get streaming like if someone is playing a demo and wants to know quickly if they'll like a game or something, but I don't see me playing a game long term using it.

In order to even get on the level of what Gamepass is they'd need to be able to get all PS1, PS2 and PS4 games downloadable on top of streamable with PS3. They either need a better pricing model or add in a back catalogue of all their old content or something. Regardless I don't see me ever using something like Gamepass or PS Now, but I say this for those who'd want to rent games or pay for a service or something like that.

Just cause I don't use it, doesn't mean I don't see its issues as I don't really need to use it or care for it to understand the things many bring up about PS Now sound to be very valid.

ZehDon

Gold Member

BTW, PSN: PlayStation Network.
... did you actually read the link, or just pick one at random because the click bait headline fits your ridiculously biased PR campaign? It doesn’t say what you think it does. It’s 5 months out of date, and it’s been superseded several times as recently as two weeks ago by Phil Spencer.
So, the answer to my question is: yes, you are always that dishonest.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
... did you actually read the link, or just pick one at random because the click bait headline fits your ridiculously biased PR campaign? It doesn’t say what you think it does. It’s 5 months out of date, and it’s been superseded several times as recently as two weeks ago by Phil Spencer.
So, the answer to my question is: yes, you are always that dishonest.

Not following what's happening with Netflix, Disney+, etc as it seems. But continue with what you wanna believe.

Tumle

He states something as a fact, but I just don't believe somebody because he says so. In a good discussion somebody who states something has te back it up with facts. I'm gonna read into it and I did see that revenue is high with PSN, but not PSNow per se.

But again I'm gonna read into it, but when MS is not releasing numbers around Xbox Live revenue, it's hard to really make a good comparrison.
I have no idea about the revenue of each system.. just perplexed about him having to show evidences about the number of games that are in pa now subscription..
I don’t think the revenue of ps now is bigger than gamepass because Sony took there sweet ass time releasing it in other territories.. and still is 😊

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have no idea about the revenue of each system.. just perplexed about him having to show evidences about the number of games that are in pa now subscription..
I don’t think the revenue of ps now is bigger than gamepass because Sony took there sweet ass time releasing it in other territories.. and still is 😊

Guys here are mixing PS Now with PSN. PSN is PlayStation Network services as a whole, and yes it's bigger than Xbox division as a whole.

Except for first party games releasing day and date on gamepass.. what is gampass offering that ps Now isn’t offering?

All content on Game Pass is available to download locally, rather than have to be streamed as many of the games (particularly gen 9) on PS Now do.

Speaking of Gen 9, since PS Now was originally a workaround for PS4 not having BC, a plurality of the games on there come from that generation - so most games are streaming only.

Game Pass has more "recent" games and, within that, generally gets the big third party hitters earlier and for longer.

Price wise it's roughly the same, with Game Pass Ultimate being more expensive but that cost being mitigated by the 3 years $1 sale which has been around since launch.

Those are all big deals in their own way, but just having day in date releases for first party games on its own pushes GP above tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Scott

Might as well. PS Now (to me anyway) is just pointless. I get streaming like if someone is playing a demo and wants to know quickly if they'll like a game or something, but I don't see me playing a game long term using it.

In order to even get on the level of what Gamepass is they'd need to be able to get all PS1, PS2 and PS4 games downloadable on top of streamable with PS3. They either need a better pricing model or add in a back catalogue of all their old content or something. Regardless I don't see me ever using something like Gamepass or PS Now, but I say this for those who'd want to rent games or pay for a service or something like that.

Just cause I don't use it, doesn't mean I don't see its issues as I don't really need to use it or care for it to understand the things many bring up about PS Now sound to be very valid.
If Sony got all the PS1 through PS4 games on their Gamepass like service then that's approaching or exceeding 10,000 games. They would destroy gamepass with that much content.

ikbalCO

yeah, no. without figuring out PS1 PS2 PS3 BC and implementing any form of BC that rivals gamepass, their offering won't match what Microsoft is offering.

when you look at the games in gamepass, you see almost half the library is filled with 360 games. it not only satisfies the subscriber in game count perspective, but i'm pretty sure it is also helps them financially since the older games wouldn't cost them that much to keep.

but if sony put older games to their subscription service and you get to play MGS IV 4k/60 fps, now that alone would give them edge in the competition.

Alphagear

Exactly what I thought.

How can Microsofts 23 studios all make AAA titles just for gamepass.

Financially not viable unless they are multi platform.

My belief is most Microsoft studios will churn out shovelware for gamepass with the odd AAA title.

Gamepass will be no different to Netflix. Quantity and hardly any quality.

Alex Scott

Sony is likely creating a GamePass like service, but they are not going to put their 1st party games on it day one.
PS+ collection will likely compete with GamePass as time goes on. Maybe a year later they would have two tier PS+. One with collection and one without. Sony is testing right now if people are willing to pay for PS+ collection at a higher price.

Concern

If it's not incoming first party games on day one, I don't know what other "answer" they'd come with. Pricing is already about the same.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Not surprising really. Everyone expected it.

As long as MS and Sony don't start locking exclusive games behind a subscription paywall. That would be a big turn off for me.

yurinka

So I guess it did make sense lol.
To put AAA on launch day for free in the subscription is what doesn't make sense. But to put a ton of old PS4, PS5 games inside that can be downloaded is something that over time will happen.

Regarding the news to come, I think it's to announce an speed improvement in servers, to support more countries, up to 4K support for PS5 and PS4 Pro games (up to 1080p for the others), many PS4 games to be included and also that Stadia-like idea of allowing people to buy games for streaming outside the subscription targeting people who don't own the console and play PS Now on PC or mobile.

We saw it mentioned on a PS Now next gen plans from a Sony IR meeting and saw some PS3 PS Now games in the PS4 shop at a cheap price. It means that if people buys new PS5 AAA games at a proper price for PS Now there wouldn't be any problem for devs to put them day one, because it would be profitable for them, unlike putting them in the subscription day one.

I believe they won't put their flagship games day one, just third-party and old titles, make sense.
New AAA games on the subscription day one doesn't make sense for both 1st and 3rd party. But they can put AAA on PS Now day one, both 1st and 3rd party, outside the subscription if you buy it paying full price like in Stadia. Purchasing the game for streaming.

To make it more appealing for players, would be nice that you could download these games if you have a PS console: to merge games bought for PS Now with digital games for PS4 and PS5. It would be a big win for players but would be a big increase in server costs for them.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hey it it means I won’t have to pay to play shit like Last of Us2 I’m game

CAB_Life

They’re never going to catch up then. MS, Amazon and Google are already in the same space and at best they’ll be relegated to a boutique streaming provider like HBO Max. Not a terrible position to be in, mind you, but no market leader as they are with consoles. If they don’t have a compelling digital offering in the next six months (and no PS Now is not compelling, and the numbers speak for themselves) then they might as well not even bother and just continue the course with PS Now.

Which is a terrible service btw, aside from the recently added download option. Even with a gigabit LAN connection I was getting major artifacting, ghosting and stutter in PS3 games. Whereas I can play x-cloud seamlessly on an s7+ tablet and it’s a nigh indiscernible experience from playing on an xbox other than the smaller screen. The geriatric and anemic library leaves a lot to be desired too, and this will be exacerbated once MS starts dropping their 2021/22 1st party roster on their competing service.

Sony have a ton of catching up to do and not a lot of time in which to do it.

bxrz

Exactly what I thought.

How can Microsofts 23 studios all make AAA titles just for gamepass.

Financially not viable unless they are multi platform.

My belief is most Microsoft studios will churn out shovelware for gamepass with the odd AAA title.

Gamepass will be no different to Netflix. Quantity and hardly any quality.
Except Netflix has had quality. They've had multiple critically acclaimed movies up for multiple oscars

Jadsey

Please for the love of god....NOOO!

I fucking detest Game Pass and it that it stands for. It's a breeding ground for mediocrity and you end up with a shitty, lowest common denominator library to play like Xbox.

Give it five years and it will mean they death of outstanding titles and original IP

This is a fucking disaster as far as I'm concerned. And yes..... I am extremely fucking 'triggered'.

Guess I'll be playing Switch in the future.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Sony doesn’t really have a choice. In three years time, when MS is releasing lots and lots of first party stuff onto Gamepass and Sony is still charging £70 for a single title, the comparison will become even more stark.

See. This is why you need competition.

Warnen

Prob wouldn’t be a good idea till they get the ssd storage issues and external drive stuff sorted. PS5 OS seems to be a finicky lil thing at the moment.

That 600 GB would fill up quick with them golden oldies.

Ev1L AuRoN

To put AAA on launch day for free in the subscription is what doesn't make sense. But to put a ton of old PS4, PS5 games inside that can be downloaded is something that over time will happen.

Regarding the news to come, I think it's to announce an speed improvement in servers, to support more countries, up to 4K support for PS5 and PS4 Pro games (up to 1080p for the others), many PS4 games to be included and also that Stadia-like idea of allowing people to buy games for streaming outside the subscription targeting people who don't own the console and play PS Now on PC or mobile.

We saw it mentioned on a PS Now next gen plans from a Sony IR meeting and saw some PS3 PS Now games in the PS4 shop at a cheap price. It means that if people buys new PS5 AAA games at a proper price for PS Now there wouldn't be any problem for devs to put them day one, because it would be profitable for them, unlike putting them in the subscription day one.

New AAA games on the subscription day one doesn't make sense for both 1st and 3rd party. But they can put AAA on PS Now day one, both 1st and 3rd party, outside the subscription if you buy it paying full price like in Stadia. Purchasing the game for streaming.

To make it more appealing for players, would be nice that you could download these games if you have a PS console: to merge games bought for PS Now with digital games for PS4 and PS5. It would be a big win for players but would be a big increase in server costs for them.
Sorry I didn't mean first day third-party titles. Just old third-party games was well as the first party stuff.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Am interested to see where this goes, with so many people on here who are anti gamepass and pro Sony. Will be interesting to see their take on it when Sony does it

Unknown?

If it has all their exclusive titles and is a cheap price it should be commended and you could argue the quality of games would be better overall than Gamepass but this is an Xbox innovation through and through and they deserve the full plaudits.
Sega Channel says hello!

yurinka

So, Sony must clearly have well over the 15 million Gamepass Subscribers having launched into open beta long before? 20 million subscribers or so, right? Maybe 30 million?
I mean, if Sony only had 2.2 million or so subscribers for their streaming service, that would be pretty darn embarrassing, given the lead time. Doubly so given Ryan’s original comments dismissing Gamepass.

Or, have Sony botched the messaging and been entirely non-committal on the service, leaving them three years behind were Gamepass is today?
PS Now is a game streaming and downloading service, and Gamepass not. Gamepass is a game download subscription, like Gold and PS Plus. Out of the 3, the biggest one is PS Plus.

The game streaming isn't included in Gamepass, it's included in Gamepass Ultimate. Which as of now doesn't stream to consoles. We don't know how many Gamepass Ultimate subs are out there, and even considering that, we don't know how many of them are real subcribers paying a full subscripition.

The 2.2 million of PS Now are real subscribers who pay a full subscription, not people who paid $1 for 3 years or got some months of free Game Pass with Discord and so on. If you want a huge number of subscribers look at PS+, who has the biggest one.

Sony gets a way bigger revenue from their game subscription services compared to Microsoft. Same goes with selling games, both 1st and 3rd party, and consoles. This means Sony doesn't need to mimic any MS strategy because the current Sony gaming strategy is way more profitable and successful, even if we only compare their game subscriptions in their financial reports.

In any case, it's Microsoft who has to continue copying and learning stuff from Sony. As an example, to stream games to consoles, because MS has 0 subscribers streaming games on console as of now and Sony has beed doing it since 2014.

Sony said last year they had mid term plans to improve PS Now for the next gen, like to upgrade resolution to 1080p and beyond, support more counties, to improve the content quality, tweak pricing, improve servers and more. We saw some of these things already happening since then, so it's fair to think the other ones will also come in the following months.

Last edited:

Warnen

Seems to be a when and not an if any more for sure. Game industry in trending that way. Biggest question who folds 1st Sony or Nintendo...

ManaByte

Gold Member
PS Now isn't a GamePass competitor. Its just a half-ass attempt at some type of backwards compatibility by Sony.

Yup. Streaming PS3 games isn't the same as playing them natively or enhanced.

I have PS Now and played Sonic Generations on the PS5 last night. Streaming the PS3 original just isn't the same as the enhanced BC version you can play on the Xbox.

Top Bottom