• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan on PS5's Response to Game Pass: "There Is News to Come, But Not Today"

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i personally dont think Playstation can manage subscription service.
In order to grow subscription service model, you need to have a lot of games on it.

Sony does not have the budget to do that.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Bo Hazem is hitting new levels of ps now dillusion, it's nowhere near the level of gamepass and to say so is pure fantasy.

Thankfully, Sony knows this and is prepping a real competitor that includes new first party games, and a better overall value than the crap that's currently being ignored by most playstation customers. It's a win for gamers.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Psvr2 news blew my hair back. Not sure what could top it.

Just keep rolling quality into ps+ and we’re sitting pretty.
What news is that?
I tired a Oculus Quest 2 a few days ago and I’m 100% into VR now, PS5 and XSX isn’t worth calling next generation gaming, VR is where it’s at!

What news is that?
I tired a Oculus Quest 2 a few days ago and I’m 100% into VR now, PS5 and XSX isn’t worth calling next generation gaming, VR is where it’s at!
Console VR will NEVER come even close to PC VR. Never. On console it’s just not the same. On console really feels like a gimmick.

Kagey K

Banned
Console VR will NEVER come even close to PC VR. Never. On console it’s just not the same. On console really feels like a gimmick.
On Pc it’s a gimmick. It fun for a couple hours and then you are done.

These people that call it the next gen, haven’t been through the process yet.

Shmunter

What news is that?
PS5 PSVR2 coming.

Inside out tracking, no need for cams, full room scale. New controllers with finger tracking and the sensational haptics from Dualsense. Love my PSVR, and looking forward to the next gen offering.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Haven't you tried VR before?
Yeah years ago and I have kinda put it all on ignore since I get motion sick enough from just regular first person games. But then a coworker brought a Quest 2 to work and set it up and I was completely blown away. Might be because I haven’t realized things has improved over the years I guess, it had great picture, was super responsive, had no cables, and most importantly I felt no motion sickness on the game I played. Felt awesome!
I’m guessing roller coaster games would still make me puke in seconds but devs seems to have learned a lot of what works and don’t work now.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I’m sorry but no. AstroBot in VR is a revelation. Res Evil 7, is down right incredible in VR.
VR places you in to these worlds rather than being a voyeur so to speak.

PSVR2 can’t come soon enough.

Fredrik

PS5 PSVR2 coming.

Inside out tracking, no need for cams, full room scale. New controllers with finger tracking and the sensational haptics from Dualsense. Love my PSVR, and looking forward to the next gen offering.
Cool! I’ll keep my eyes on that. Might be my jump in moment on PS5.

pasterpl

You mean the pioneers of cloud gaming? PS Now has a massive value over GamePass, both in quantity and quality.
Gamepass have more higher rated games than ps now (metacritic), also gamepass have newer games or sometimes even the latest eg. Outriders,
90% of the stuff on Netflix is low budget crap.

If Microsoft is going the Netflix route then expect the majority of games to be Shovelware filler with the odd AAA title chucked in.

Otherwise it's unsustainable with all 23 studios making high budget AAA titles.
Look at my comment above
You can already get a year of PS Plus and PS Now for like $50 on CD Keys, by buying year long subscriptions separately. Gamepass on the other hand is like $120/year or something ludicrous if you use a loophole (i.e. convert 4 x 12 month EA Play membership codes to one year).
Love when people are comparing a full retail price of something vs the cheapest method you can get something. FYI you can get eg Brazilian gold subscripotion for $120 for 3 years then you can upgrade it for an extra 1 usd to gpu so you can get gamepass ultimate for 3 Years for 121 usd so it works out cheaper than psnow and it actually gives you the latest games eg. Outriders

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Gamepass have more higher rated games than ps now (metacritic), also gamepass have newer games or sometimes even the latest eg. Outriders,

Look at my comment above

Love when people are comparing a full retail price of something vs the cheapest method you can get something. FYI you can get eg Brazilian gold subscripotion for $120 for 3 years then you can upgrade it for an extra 1 usd to gpu so you can get gamepass ultimate for 3 Years for 121 usd so it works out cheaper than psnow and it actually gives you the latest games eg. Outriders
GhostOfTsu GhostOfTsu taught me if it’s more than a Starbucks coffee it’s not worth it.

longdi

Banned
How about not charge 80 euros day 1
That would be a cute fucking start 🤣

how old is jim?

feels like he is out for the finale money shot(aka profits -> bonuses), and he is off, retired comfortably in Euroland

the development he is setting in place for the future of Playstation seems lacking, bleak even.

Last edited:

saintjules

Psnow is not a substitute for game pass...fixing the shit bc support is ...until they do that any sort of Sony like gamepass is going to be like window dressing to an empty house

I agree. Gamepass has a library of games across the entire universe of Xbox. We're seeing Sony close up shops on old games and want to embrace mainly on future titles. How can Sony have a version of gamepass of their own when they can't let us have access old old stuff aside from PSNow?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I agree. Gamepass has a library of games across the entire universe of Xbox. We're seeing Sony close up shops on old games and want to embrace mainly on future titles. How can Sony have a version of gamepass of their own when they can't let us have access old old stuff aside from PSNow?

Only on xbox consoles. And gamepass for pc kind of blows. Even with added EA titles. You have to use a separate app from EA which is in beta to install games from EA on gamepass. It's a shit system and a huge turn off.

For console owners gamepass is a tremendous value and worth it for access to new titles and the back catelog from older gens. But their whole initiative of having xbox be agnostic platform to me is still shit. So unless they let you play xbox titles locally on pc, I don't care.

Even with that, I find myself playing new titles.

But this narrative is ridiculously just so knee jerk about jim ryan. I mean I wish more games came from japan. But I'm not losing sleep when I see games like stray, kena from indie devs that look AAA in their assets/quality.

I go for quality, something Microsoft has issues with in their premier studios like 343.

Guess soon we will see what Microsoft has coming soon.

Zeusexy

Well, I guess they're gonna give you a monthly supply of fresh soy, meticulously cultivated in commiefornian fields.

Trogdor1123

i personally dont think Playstation can manage subscription service.
In order to grow subscription service model, you need to have a lot of games on it.

Sony does not have the budget to do that.
They already have one. Psnow. It's not as good but it is 1/2 the price. It also has way more games.

They also have a HUGE catalog of games to pull on if they ever pulled their head out their asses.

Adam_802

EyBHCHCWEAAah6f

kiphalfton

Look at my comment above

This is BS. I was comparing a deal to a deal. Read my comment again. If you want to extend your game pass ultimate subscription, well you're fucked and are going to be paying quite a bit in comparison to extending PS Plus and PS Now, as you can only do the $1 deal once, so gtfo with that argument. So better make the most of it, cuz after that they're probably going to kill it.

Btw full retail for game pass ultimate is $180. So you're wrong on multiple accounts.

Also lol at using a third party game (outriders) as an argument point. Game has a 6/10 on steam.

Also I would love for you to back up that first comment, about Gamepass games being higher rated than what is on PS Now. You do realize PS Now has most of Sony's first party stuff dating back to the PS2? So I have a really hard time believing that [made up] claim had in your post.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
The only model Sony's built for is to make $100 million games and sell them for $70 a copy. They're afraid to do anything else. They blew Microsoft out of the water by playing it safe with the PS4 and it worked out more than wonderfully for them. For their sake I hope it still works out for them.

Consumers are fickle and can go another direction on a dime. Just look at how their gamers complained about all digital games and always online at the beginning of the generation but by the end, 60% of them were buying digital.

Last edited:

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It’s gonna be difficult for Sony to respond in this current environment since every dev is woefully behind schedule due to the pandemic as it is and PS3 games aren’t exactly easy to port to the PS4/5 architecture.

Plus it’s not like Microsoft is even working on continuing BC efforts at this time.

reinking

Gold Member
As of right now Game Pass has made Microsoft zero dollars in profit. It is currently a money sink to get subscribers. It will be fascinating to watch when the gold conversion goes away and subs start expiring. I AM NOT SAYING GAME PASS IS NOT A GOOD DEAL BECAUSE IT IS but a lot of the people that preach about it, preach about it with the "$1" price of admission.. I am sure Sony is watching and will adjust if/when they need to. If they start bringing Sony games to PS Now day one that would be a huge step in the right direction.

Top Bottom