• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan PS4 will get exclusive AAA games and "remain engine of engagement" until May 2022. Streaming will be a Mainstream Business Model for Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonJorginho

Banned
Some people on GAF are ridiculous. Why can't they just accept that MS is going in a non-traditional route? Why they gotta try to lump Sony in with it too. PLUS......PSNOW is at least 4 YEARS OLD!!!!! We know PS has a streaming platform.

Facts right here, this thread makes me feel like I have entered ResetEra.

CeeJay

Yeah, well a Tesla car has 4 wheels, an engine, doors, mirrors, radio.... so it must be the same strategy of Ford gas powered truck right?

Yes, Sony has been in streaming for basically 13+ years. They've also been selling BR players and digital downloading for 13 fucking years.

The strategy is not the same which is why Microsoft is bailing.

You're about to go on my ignore.

There is reason why Microsoft says Sony is no longer a competitor, that is MS that is saying that. Sony isn't giving up their hardware business its services or bust for MS at this point.
Like I said, no mention of streaming as mainstream for PS4 even though as you rightly point out it has been there a long time. It points to Sony pushing their streaming services more front and centre.

ethomaz

Banned
The OP seems misunderstand the slides.

PS4 have exclusives (not on PS5) still to come: Death Stranding, The Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima.

Stuart360

No problem, I was just musing over possible reasons for some cross-gen and some exclusive.

I think however that there is a distinct difference between the cross-gen games previously and the ones we will see coming next gen. The system architectures have been significantly different in previous gen transitions (MS and Sony) whereas this time we are going to see incredibly similar architecture that will be able to use the same codebase across the old and new gen devices. There is a very good chance that when you download a next gen game for PS5 or Xbox you will be downloading the exact same package to install on your machine and then when it does the install it will determine what will be enabled very much in the same way as it works in the PC space. Cross-gen games previously had completely different code and quite often even developed by different developers.
Exactly. It will be no different than 2 people buying a PC game, one with a high end PC, and one with a low end PC. High end PC will play the game at high resolutions, framerates and setting, while the low end PC will play low rez, low framerate, low setttings.
And it will be the same with XB1 and Series X, and PS4 and PS5 if Sony decides to do similar.

Aion002

Agreed. It would make no sense to create games exclusively for the PS4. Do we know if there will be PS5 exclusives at launch or is Sony going the MS route of releasing games as cross-gen in the first year or two?
Weren't we just shitting on Microsoft for this? I'm not fan of them myself but let's not be hypocritical.

That being said, the PS4 is still showing incredible power all these years later and I wouldn't be mad for extended support since I honestly don't see an immediate upgrade as I have the pro.
Tell me which xbox one exclusive is being made?

This is completely different of what ms is doing.

Sony is saying that she will keep supporting ps4, ms said that series x doesn't have exclusives.

For me this is just like last gen, GT6 and tlu on ps3, while the 360 was completely abandoned by ms.... Now series x is the one abandoned... Because it doesn't have exclusives.

If sony says that ps5 wont have launch exclusives, I will agree with you, otherwise... Nope.... This narrative some are trying to push is completely disingenuous.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Well yeah, what you say is all correct. I think that the reason for this thread is to point out that Sony are doing what a lot of the hardcore Sony guys have been slating Xbox for.

Just because it's from last year doesn't make it null and void. Also WTF are you on about giving up hardware business, neither is Xbox!

Ppl talk shit about Microsoft for a myriad of reasons, biases of course play a part in it but others are warranted. Sony has had streaming for years but as an option not as a center focus while still offering PSVR and new and highly reviewed exclusives. Xbox just wants to mainly focus on streaming when thy hvnt even rolled it out yet and put all their games everywhere which is OK but when your not focusing on bringing AAA exclusive gaming experiences and talk more about streaming, than ppl start feeling a certain way. Thy are trying to correct tht with a few b tier acquisitions but have a long way. I won't get into the lockhart scenario bcus thts not confirmed but thts another issue regardless of scaling.

Again many of these things Sony actually initialized but didnt make front and certain and I like tht approach.

Another thing we are all grown and in another thread I outlined what both companies and Nintendo copy from eachother. Only idiots think no one copies from others. Ppl follow trends and give consumers what thy want if not thy fail, plain and simple.

DonJorginho

Banned
Exactly. It will be no different than 2 people buying a PC game, one with a high end PC, and one with a low end PC. High end PC will play the game at high resolutions, framerates and setting, while the low end PC will play low rez, low framerate, low setttings.
And it will be the same with XB1 and Series X, and PS4 and PS5 if Sony decides to do similar.

Unless this whole post from OP is a lie and is just spliced from an older presentation regarding the final year of PS4 AAA exclusives, and we still are yet to hear anything from Sony on their exclusives for PS5?

Let's face it, OP is lying to gain traction.

DanielsM

Banned
Like I said, no mention of streaming as mainstream for PS4 even though as you rightly point out it has been there a long time. It points to Sony pushing their streaming services more front and centre.

Wishful thinking is what it is, which is what I said in my OP.

good luck on all the streaming stuff

It doesn't matter who's doing it, its a loser business.

Last edited:

CeeJay

Ppl talk shit about Microsoft for a myriad of reasons, biases of course play a part in it but others are warranted. Sony has had streaming for years but as an option not as a center focus while still offering PSVR and new and highly reviewed exclusives. Xbox just wants to mainly focus on streaming when thy hvnt even rolled it out yet and put all their games everywhere which is OK but when your not focusing on bringing AAA exclusive gaming experiences and talk more about streaming, than ppl start feeling a certain way. Thy are trying to correct tht with a few b tier acquisitions but have a long way. I won't get into the lockhart scenario bcus thts not confirmed but thts another issue regardless of scaling.

Again many of these things Sony actually initialized but didnt make front and certain and I like tht approach.

Another thing we are all grown and in another thread I outlined what both companies and Nintendo copy from eachother. Only idiots think no one copies from others. Ppl follow trends and give consumers what thy want if not thy fail, plain and simple.
To the bolded; Sure but they don't see it as mainstream until next gen? That indicates a change in strategy which probably means going to a similar model that Xbox is planning to use.

I read a lot of the stuff posted on this forum by a small minority that is all very pro Sony, anti MS and I just like to point out the hypocrisy in a lot of the arguments that they make.

Of course they'll support PS4 even after the release of PS5, just like every other PlayStation console.
I just doubt they'll release games of TLOU or God of War level in 2021 on PS4.
The Show released on PS2 until 2011, and on PS3 until 2016. I'm sure that we'll have a PS4 version in 2022.

CeeJay

Wishful thinking is what it is, which is what I said in my OP.

It doesn't matter who's doing it, its a loser business.
So, do you agree or not with my statement that Sony are planning to offer more comprehensive streaming options going forward and bringing it more front and centre in the same way that Xbox are?

I know your thoughts on it been a loser business, you have made them known on numerous occasions. Regardless of what you personally feel about it though, it's not stopping these businesses from going after that market segment whether it's profitable in the long run or not.

Klayzer

I can feel your pain, but you reap what you sow. Fanboys have been shitting up numerous threads over this subject for weeks now. They never learn.
And if this is all true, its a GOOD thing for Sony to do. No point missing out on those 100mil PS4 owners. Same with those hundreds of millions of PC gamers, and thats next on the agenda i feel.
I don't get your pain though. Why do you want to silence criticism of Microsoft's vision for Xbox? It needs to discussed (gasps) on a game discussion board. Can you take your blinders off for a sec, or are they permanently glued to your face.

Now go ahead and pretend about something else to save internet face.

Gamernyc78

Banned
To the bolded; Sure but they don't see it as mainstream until next gen? That indicates a change in strategy which probably means going to a similar model that Xbox is planning to use.

I read a lot of the stuff posted on this forum by a small minority that is all very pro Sony, anti MS and I just like to point out the hypocrisy in a lot of the arguments that they make.

I mean there is hypocrisy everywhere, don't let it get to you. But Sony has usually had a first step in most things its their steps in solidifying stable ground when and if those types of things go mainstream. I mean we all know eventually streaming will be the go to medium in gaming as internet gets better and more viable, Sony has known this well before Microsoft stepped in with streaming talk, which is my point. Same as with them and being the only console maker with VR.

I like the different approaches, it gives me a reason to own more than one console if I decide to.

Stuart360

Unless this whole post from OP is a lie and is just spliced from an older presentation regarding the final year of PS4 AAA exclusives, and we still are yet to hear anything from Sony on their exclusives for PS5?

Let's face it, OP is lying to gain traction.
But it says for the next three years, which would be end of 2021, if this is really from 2018. And that surely means PS4 will still be getting first party games in 2021, or they wouldnt of said that.

Plus this bit 'Will provide the early adopter gamer base critical for next gen success', i'm not exactly sure what that means, but its said under the PS4 section, which makes me think they are talking about cross gen games on next gen.

DanielsM

Banned
Some people on GAF are ridiculous. Why can't they just accept that MS is going in a non-traditional route? Why they gotta try to lump Sony in with it too. PLUS......PSNOW is at least 4 YEARS OLD!!!!! We know PS has a streaming platform.

It was the same with Microsoft's other consumer products when Satya came in, at least with gaming they're just switching directions (one in which I don't think works i.e. streaming)... technically not abandoning it yet. Windows Phone forums were some of the best, I mean it was funny and sad at the same time.

Microsoft is all-in on services.

So, do you agree or not with my statement that Sony are planning to offer more comprehensive streaming options going forward and bringing it more front and centre in the same way that Xbox are?

I know your thoughts on it been a loser business, you have made them known on numerous occasions. Regardless of what you personally feel about it though, it's not stopping these businesses from going after that market segment whether it's profitable in the long run or not.

I would say Sony will continue to experiment with PS Now like they have done for the last 6 years, I don't think that will change. I don't think it amount to much either way, a girl can wish. Many of the subscriptions are a dream.... wishful thinking... and I doubt Sony sacrifices their traditional money making business for a new one that doesn't.

I look at PS Now as a small revenue stream like EA Access for rentals and streaming, doubt there will ever be real money made in that business... alternative small revenue stream.

You mean Microsoft has been taking the same approach as Sony. Sony has had streaming in their system for years and Microsoft has finally decided to catch up and just yell louder.
Also no different to ps3 approach where thy supported the consoles well into two years after the new console was released.

It's what Sony does.

Just wow.

"Outstanding roster of exclusive AAA games still to come"

Jim Ryan meant at the time of this DATED presentation btw, Death Stranding The Last Of Us 2 and Ghost Of Tsushima you clown OP.

Tag this post as Clickbait imo.
OP just came out of a ban for being an aggressive Xbox Lover, so I'm not surprised by this awful and desperate thread to smear Xbox.

In the meantime, check out my Sony Power Move thread where I articulate as to why leaving E3 was an incredibly effect industry move.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
We see what you are trying to do OP. You're not slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom