• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: "We remain absolutely on track. We're going to launch this holiday, globally." Pandemic not impacting price.

Speaking with GameSpot sister site CNET, PlayStation boss Jim Ryan confirmed that there has been no interruption to Sony's plan to launch PS5 worldwide later this year. "We remain absolutely on track," he said. "We're going to launch this holiday, we will have a global launch. And we're greatly looking forward to it. And we very much want the gaming world to look forward to it, too."

"Right now, we're not seeing anything saying to us there's going to be problems with quantities or we won't be able to launch the way we want," Ryan told CNET, matching up with what the company had indicated earlier this year.

In an interview with the BBC, Ryan also noted that the ongoing pandemic has not impacted a decision regarding PS5's price.

-----------------

On Price

PS5 Price Will “Provide the Best Possible Value Proposition” – PlayStation CEO

SIE chief Jim Ryan adds he doesn’t “necessarily mean lowest price.”

“I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can,” Ryan said. “I don’t necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games… all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”

Last edited:

Nankatsu

la0eLGX.gif

dorkimoe

oh yay short supply, Just let me pre order please.

I wish places would let me order even if its sold out and out of stock, and just ship when its back.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
"Pandemic not impacting sales" well if you say so...

Edit: Forget how to read...

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Hate to be that guy but I'm sceptical. I expect a fast out of stock

If they enable pre-orders after June 4th, yap, pretty sure the stock will fly in an instant.

Anyway, I'm not worried, I still have a ton of games to play on PS4, and I'm not planning on getting the console right at launch.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
He is really putting himself out there with these predictions. Will Sony not be affected by the problems Nintendo is having?

I hope he's right!

PS5 Price Will “Provide the Best Possible Value Proposition” – PlayStation CEO

SIE chief Jim Ryan adds he doesn’t “necessarily mean lowest price.”

“I think the best way that we can address this is by providing the best possible value proposition that we can,” Ryan said. “I don’t necessarily mean lowest price. Value is a combination of many things. In our area it means games, it means number of games, depth of games, breadth of games, quality of games, price of games… all of these things and how they avail themselves of the feature set of the platform.”

Last edited:

NickFire

Oh gosh the hype is getting out of control and they've barely said anything. If their stream opens with Kevin Butler sipping coffee people are going to fall down from excitement. This is fun.

GameSpot headline says "PS5 might be in short supply" but his actual quote is "Right now, we're not seeing anything saying to us there's going to be problems with quantities"

what?

I think they were trying to say it's gonna be flying off the shelves and sold-out, but the wording is not the best as it seems to imply something else

sublimit

Banned
Not affecting price.

Ok great, so whats the price??
IMO the fact that he says that the pandemic is not affecting the price sounds like he is confident about their pricing.

Otherwise he wouldn't have said anything and he would have used the pandemic as an excuse for a high price.

REE Machine

Banned
If they enable pre-orders after June 4th, yap, pretty sure the stock will fly in an instant.

Anyway, I'm not worried, I still have a ton of games to play on PS4, and I'm not planning on getting the console right at launch.
Same, learned the hardway with ps4, there was nothing enticing to play on it for twoish years. With TLOU2 and GOT coming out so close I'll be busy with those until I buy one prob a year in

REE Machine

Banned
I wish I had your patience.
The fact that TLOU P2 and GOT are coming out so close is why, if they didnt have two absolute bangers at the end of this cycle id be on board. My thing was when I bought a ps4 at launch it really had nothing to offer me until a year and a half in. I played killzone and its multiplayer prob everyday, granted it was fire but still

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am preordering. Getting one of these consoles in 2020 is going to be tough.

Vognerful

I will go wild and say they will price above 500. I feel they will aim for an image similar to iPhone and that “this is the actual next generation console”. Sony has a huge base from this generation and I think they might be able to sell even with higher price.

in fact from the reaction of strong Sony fans, I don’t think they mind paying 600.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just had a bad thought. Is it possible they would open up pre-orders, but make you put an absurd percentage down? Like...half.

I mean i have a grand sitting aside for both consoles so it wouldn't affect me, but if the laws of equivalent exchange mean anything these days...something's got to give.

A lesser supply seems the likely culprit and the scalpers are going to have a field day with this.
Sorry to quote Full Metal Alchemist. I love that series.

Hostile_18

Banned
I just had a bad thought. Is it possible they would open up pre-orders, but make you put an absurd percentage down? Like...half.

I mean i have a grand sitting aside for both consoles so it wouldn't affect me, but if the laws of equivalent exchange mean anything these days...something's got to give.

A lesser supply seems the likely culprit and the scalpers are going to have a field day with this.
Sorry to quote Full Metal Alchemist. I love that series.

Places like Amazon won't change their pre order policy I don't think.

ZywyPL

Banned
In the very beginning I thought 599 was in play, but I have come to think that 499 is the ceiling. We will see though. A lot of great tech in both boxes. Not sure how the pricing will play out

I think most customers wouldn't be happy seeing a 200$ jump vs previous generation, if it was 499 back in 2013 and 599 now, no one would bat an eye, but 399 vs 599 would be too much for many to swallow, especially with current situation/economics. Besides, who know better than Sony how such price ends ;)

plip.plop

This thing is not going to be less than $499. I personally believe it will be $549. This is why they emphasized components that are not only exclusive but leaps above anything that can be found in the PC realm. Sony currently makes the fastest SSD and that R&D to include keeping it cool cant be cheap.

Top Bottom