• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

foltzie1

http://steamcommunity.com/games/ArtOfStealth/announcements/detail/690574607309027725 (login not required)

Concerning Art of Stealth
January 17 - Jason
We (Valve) have identified unacceptable behavior involving multiple Steam accounts controlled by the developer of this game, Matan Cohen. The developer appears to have created multiple Steam accounts to post a positive review for their own game. This is a clear violation of our review policy and something we take very seriously.

For these reasons, we are ending our business relationship with Matan Cohen and removing this game from sale. If you have previously purchased this game, it will remain accessible in your Steam library.

Baalzebup

There sure is some fascinating commentary over there from the "devs." I found this particular snippet extra hilarious:
Indie_Brotha_Man said:
Many corporate bastards like Jim Sterling (Whose abusive video will be taken down soon enough) earn good money from roasting and dissing Art Of Stealth and are ruining the fruits of our labor.
You hear that, Jim! You're corporate now, to go with all your other faults :D

Jim Sterling hasn't even written a collision detection class and he has the audacity to critique video games.

I've always "loved" this comeback.

If you call a terrible movie, book, or meal terrible, nobody cares whether or not you've made a $120 million movie, written so much as an MLP slash fanfic, or spent years in a culinary institute.

But call a terrible video game terrible, and it's "LEARN TO MAKE A GAME OR STFU". Also seems to apply to awful webcomics, funnily enough.

They're basically saying "I admit it's shit, but you're not allowed to say that!"

I guess it's because bad wecomics and asset flip video games are made for/by the lowest rung on the intellectual ladder, so that's what comes running to their aid.

If I was a game dev I'd purposely make a crap game, release it on Steam, pray that he review it, and then sue the living pants off of him just so I can meet him one day in court, look him in the eye, shake his hand, and say, "Thank God for Jim Sterling."

Steroyd

The game is also not on sale any longer, wow, Valve actually doing quality control?

I'd like to think that the whole digital homicide and CSGO thing lit something under Valve's ass, there's going to be a whole mountain of corpses laying below Jim's feet if they keep doing shady shit and none of them learn from other's mistakes.

KDR_11k

Given that the judge told them to get a lawyer if they want to try again at that lawsuit, what's the chance Romine will just get told off/held in contempt for filing more shit without getting a lawyer?

foltzie1

Nothing in the proposed amended complaint addresses the judges order w/r to entities (in this case Digital Homicide) having to be represented by an attorney. I dont see where this avoids being dismissed around 2/10 for failing to comply with the judges order.

Furthermore, Romine admits (in section 14 and others) that there are several other companies that were created to use for future DH style business including some sock puppet like accounts that wouldn't be attached to the Romine name. I dont know if those companies were properly created with the relevant state agencies (to actually create a company).

Sid Alpha kindly provides links to the documents if you wish to peruse yourself. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FG7o2HBZWlUUpXSEhnNUxSNDA

Szadek

Nothing in the proposed amended complaint addresses the judges order w/r to entities (in this case Digital Homicide) having to be represented by an attorney. I dont see where this avoids being dismissed around 2/10 for failing to comply with the judges order.

Furthermore, Romine admits (in section 14 and others) that there are several other companies that were created to use for future DH style business including some sock puppet like accounts that wouldn't be attached to the Romine name. I dont know if those companies were properly created with the relevant state agencies (to actually create a company).

Sid Alpha kindly provides links to the documents if you wish to peruse yourself. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6FG7o2HBZWlUUpXSEhnNUxSNDA
Thanks, I reposted what you said as a commnet under the video so that everyone can see it.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
So continuing to not listen to judge, admitting they tried to "rebrand" Digital homicide, are basically committing fraud, and then crying that Jim brought that to light is the update. What morons. They're so hanging themselves in that updated complaint. Oh yea we're using a fake name for support and then changing our name but damn Jim he caught us. Meanwhile going oh hey Judge we know you told us to get a lawyer but fuck you here is an update to our complaint.

So continuing to not listen to judge, admitting they tried to "rebrand" Digital homicide, are basically committing fraud, and then crying that Jim brought that to light. What morons.
I've only been following this loosely, but it seems like a big time case of when not just taking the L goes wrong.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I've only been following this loosely, but it seems like a big time case of when not just taking the L goes wrong.

It is. You can't get more blatant then going oh yea we set up a new company and are using this name as the person behind it and doing it's support. If I was the judge I'd point blank go so you say you're trying to commit fraud and he called you out on it?

KDR_11k

It is. You can't get more blatant then going oh yea we set up a new company and are using this name as the person behind it and doing it's support. If I was the judge I'd point blank go so you say you're trying to commit fraud and he called you out on it?

I wonder if they'll end up like Prenda Law after this...

Jim Sterling has responded to the continuation of the lawsuit via twitlonger - source
@JimSterling said:
As some of you know, the lawsuit against me is continuing. James Romine amended his complaint to comply with the judge's request that he either seek a lawyer to pursue a suit against me on behalf of Digital Homicide, or amend the lawsuit so it is not about the LLC he tanked by attempting to sue hundreds of anonymous people on the Internet.

Romine has taken the latter option, and continues to not only accuse me of libel, but of directing criminal harassment against him. Such evidence of this "direction" includes Operation Cleanlight, a program I instated to highlight good games on Steam Greenlight and talk about why I find them appealing. It also includes The Steam Cleaner, a comedic vigilante alter-ego in a leather plague doctor mask that I introduced while talking about underhanded cottage markets in Steam's Greenlight community.

It is my personal opinion that - of those portions of the amended lawsuit we may deem comprehensible - the charges are convoluted and possess such an intense degree of flimsiness, no word currently exists to convey quite how flimsy they are.

According to what one can yank from the tangled mess of words of poorly scanned images, James Romine wants $15,326,000. All I'll say to that is this:

When this is all over, I'll consider reimbursing you the $1.00 a month you claim to give me on Patreon in order to "prove" I do business in Arizona.

lome88

He's trying to get $15.3 million from Jim?

What fucking world does this guy live in?

America, presumably. My sister got into a fender bender with another guy who then sued her for roughly double what the damage was to his vehicle, on top of money he thought he was owed for missing a day to go to the doctor's for "whip lash". He won't get anywhere near that kind of money, but he will get a larger portion than what would have normally been owed.

The same is true here, I suspect. These guys are suing for 15.3 million not because they think they'll get it, but probably a large enough portion to justify the cost of lawyers and other legal fees.

He's trying to get $15.3 million from Jim?

What fucking world does this guy live in?

Imaginationland13.jpg

The same is true here, I suspect. These guys are suing for 15.3 million not because they think they'll get it, but probably a large enough portion to justify the cost of lawyers and other legal fees.

Romine has been doing self representation this entire time, so there are no lawyers involved. Also this is radically different from a fender bender because the charges are entirely made up, there is no real documentation, and most of it is coming out of whatever Romine can pull from his ass as "justification" for the damages.

If you listen and follow this entire adventure, he genuinely believes he's going to get this money and he's doing it to defend other developers of shlock.

When this is all over, I'll consider reimbursing you the $1.00 a month you claim to give me on Patreon in order to "prove" I do business in Arizona.

Wait ... so he is a patreon follower of jim just so he can try to pin him in a court case ?

I'm ..just ...
Wow ...
Some people are stupid , but he's at another level

EDIT : Wait it's a claim , so he might not be a follower after all . Maybe it's just another lie on top of that giant cake of bullshit

Romine has been doing self representation this entire time, so there are no lawyers involved. Also this is radically different from a fender bender because the charges are entirely made up, there is no real documentation, and most of it is coming out of whatever Romine can pull from his ass as "justification" for the damages.

I'm sure the real goal in suing for $15 million was to scare Jim with such an outrageous amount that he'd settle out of court. But Jim called his bluff, and now he's beating around more bushes than the US Botanic Garden.

Primus

Leonard French, a copyright attorney with his own YouTube channel, has also been following the Sterling v DigiHom debacle closely. His thoughts on the latest development are here.

He does spend a lot of time (a bit too much, IMHO) reading parts of the filing verbatim, but you can really see how exasperated he, as an actual practicing attorney in this field, is at Romine's antics.

Lanrutcon

Leonard French, a copyright attorney with his own YouTube channel, has also been following the Sterling v DigiHom debacle closely. His thoughts on the latest development are here.

He does spend a lot of time (a bit too much, IMHO) reading parts of the filing verbatim, but you can really see how exasperated he, as an actual practicing attorney in this field, is at Romine's antics.

I follow this guy. He gives a down to earth breakdown of events as they unfold.

The latest DH case activity sounds like desperate flailing.

Oh hey, somebody at The Escapist (who in turn was referring to somebody from Reddit) pointed out that there's a very familiar stamp on the top of the latest filing.

I'm also curious about something; if legal documents are supposed to be printed on 8.5x14-inch paper, but Romine kept printing them on 8.5x11-inch pages, why weren't they being immediately rejected?

Cheerilee

Oh hey, somebody at The Escapist (who in turn was referring to somebody from Reddit) pointed out that there's a very familiar stamp on the top of the latest filing.

I'm also curious about something; if legal documents are supposed to be printed on 8.5x14-inch paper, but Romine kept printing them on 8.5x11-inch pages, why weren't they being immediately rejected?

The court system is likely a little bit softer on the truly incompetent.

Like if a real lawyer stands up and says "Your honor, I forgot my briefcase in the bathroom", the judge is going to get really upset with that lawyer.

But if someone like James Romine says it, the judge will facepalm and say "Of course you did. Please go and get it. We will wait."

Bluenoser

The fact that Romine is upset that Jim references Digital Homicide when talking about his newly re-branded company is hilarious.

He thought he could just start up a new company name, use an alias, and be back in business? Not on Jim's watch. Perhaps if he wasn't up to his old tricks, and turned a new leaf under the new company, Jim would have ignored it, but the fact that he took games from the DH library to sell under his new company sealed his fate. What a fucking moron. (oh wait, fuck, can he sue me for that?)

The fact that Romine is upset that Jim references Digital Homicide when talking about his newly re-branded company is hilarious.

He thought he could just start up a new company name, use an alias, and be back in business? Not on Jim's watch. Perhaps if he wasn't up to his old tricks, and turned a new leaf under the new company, Jim would have ignored it, but the fact that he took games from the DH library to sell under his new company sealed his fate. What a fucking moron. (oh wait, fuck, can he sue me for that?)

I'm sure he believes he can. Tread lightly.

foltzie1

Youtube reviews of video game related cases. That isnt a bad idea. I'll consider something similar assuming I pass the bar this summer.

Berordn

This shit is still going on? I'm surprised the DH is capable of such lasting effort considering their games.

At this point the man is going to ruin himself forever, despite having every opportunity to cut his losses and move on. He's got absolutely nothing left and he still acts like he's about to get a hefty payday if he stays the course.

It's like a car accident, I feel so bad for everyone involved but I just can't look away.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!

That's not a thing.

To clarify, the only time I've submitted anything to a court in 8.5 x 14" paper (i.e., "legal" sized paper) was in relation to estate and real estate work. Pleadings, motions, etc. in civil cases are almost universally required by courts to be on 8.5 x 11" paper (i.e., "letter" sized paper). Romine has made several missteps in this litigation, but the paper size he's chosen to submit his filings on is not one of them.

Youtube reviews of video game related cases. That isnt a bad idea. I'll consider something similar assuming I pass the bar this summer.

Please do, love your posts.

At this point the man is going to ruin himself forever, despite having every opportunity to cut his losses and move on. He's got absolutely nothing left and he still acts like he's about to get a hefty payday if he stays the course.

It's like a car accident, I feel so bad for everyone involved but I just can't look away.

that bit in the Jim interview where he mentions he has children...

foltzie1

That stamp is not referencing an issue with the paper size. Paper size is covered under LRCiv 7.1(b)(1) and is required to be 8.5x11 inches.

The rule in question is LRCiv 7.1(d)(1) which basically asks that you not include the same attachments in multiple filings. Once an attachment is on a court record you as supposed to just cite the attachment on record instead of reattaching it to subsequent filings.

Also, while courts have rules that you have to follow for formalities such as paper size and formatting. They do not exist to automatically disqualify cases before they are heard on their merits.

The rules exist to encourage ease of case management by the courts. Just imagine trying to file paperwork that didn't follow some sort of standards. Regarding paper size most courts have moved on from the old 8.5 x 14 to just using regular 8.5x11.

Note: While I indicated a court would likely not dismiss an improperly formatted document, the clerk could refuse to accept (though with the stamp in question I assume thats not this courts policy), or they could reject the document (which is what the stamp says here).

The court system is likely a little bit softer on the truly incompetent.

Like if a real lawyer stands up and says "Your honor, I forgot my briefcase in the bathroom", the judge is going to get really upset with that lawyer.

But if someone like James Romine says it, the judge will facepalm and say "Of course you did. Please go and get it. We will wait."

Indeed and I think you are seeing it by not rejecting the documents that do not conform to the rules.

There are actual trial practicing attorneys on this thread who can speak to this better, but generally you will get some amount of leeway as a pro se litigant. However, the amount and how harshly that leeway breaks is very judge dependent.

That's not a thing.

To clarify, the only time I've submitted anything to a court in 8.5 x 14" paper (i.e., "legal" sized paper) was in relation to estate and real estate work. Pleadings, motions, etc. in civil cases are almost universally required by courts to be on 8.5 x 11" paper (i.e., "letter" sized paper). Romine has made several missteps in this litigation, but the paper size he's chosen to submit his filings on is not one of them.

I do love that real estate documents seem to hang onto that 8.5x14 style.

An oddity for anyone still reading. The US Supreme Court has very specific rules regarding formatting requiring most documents to be submitted in bound booklets.

That's not a thing.

Ah, I had read elsewhere that courts only work in 8.5 x 14" paper.

(Great, is Romine going to come sue me for defamation?)

That's the really troubling thing about all this - do they really think they're going to win? Like, surely any judge worth a fuck is going to very quickly rule in favour of Sterling and say "tough shit; I'm not going to punish a critic because you feel he was a meanie", and then the Romines will be liable for court costs, right? They've sunk their business because of this batshit vendetta, and there's no payday or pot of gold at the end of it.

They put more effort into this lawsuit than they ever did any of their games.

This is 1000% true. Their priorities are so fucking baffling.

Top Bottom