• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being sued by Digital Homicide

foltzie1

Quote from Jim on Twitter:
Seeing some speculation about this - no talks that may be happening have entertained the notion of me paying money to any accuser. None.

For anyone who is concerned that a settlement means Jim loses I can only say this, choosing the parameters of the end result via settlement can be favorable even if you are about to "win".

It is correct that Romine was about to have his case dismissed in a manner that would have prevented him from refiling on these particular claims. This wouldn't necessarily be a "win" for Sterling.

For example, it wouldn't have prevented Romine from refiling on different claims and it wouldn't mean that Sterling would have been awarded anything. Neither of those outcomes are great for Sterling.

For anyone who is concerned that a settlement means Jim loses I can only say this, choosing the parameters of the end result via settlement can be favorable even if you are about to "win".

It is correct that Romine was about to have his case in a manner that would have prevented him from refiling on these particular claims. This wouldn't necessarily be a "win" for Sterling.

For example, it wouldn't have prevented Romine from refiling on different claims and it wouldn't mean that Sterling would have been awarded anything. Neither of those outcomes are great for Sterling.

So Jim has a lawyer, pays him, and in the end he's just going to settle after all this time?

Buckle

Really hope Jim continues to stand his ground. Give that parasite an inch and it'll just embolden him and others in the future.

foltzie1

So Jim has a lawyer, pays him, and in the end he's just going to settle after all this time?

Did you read what you quoted? I did and found a typo which had been fixed, so uh thanks.

Romine was about to have his case dismissed for not filing via an attorney. This is not the same thing as Sterling "winning" on the merits of the case.

I certainly understand that some folks thinks a settlement means Sterling will have lost in some fashion. But remember he was not about to "win" either at least not in a way some seem to think he may be sacrificing by negotiating with Romine.

Fat4all

Banned
What happened?

The case was started as person(Romine) vs person(Jim), but the plaintiff framed all their complaints/arguments as Digital Homicide LLC vs. person(Jim).

The Judge gave them many chances to get their shit together, but it all fell apart.

The real kicker: They both had to pay for their own attorney fees.
I have a feeling this was the real goal, just to waste Jim Sterling's time and make him pay out of pocket for it.

I think Jim may counter-sue for compensation for his legal fees, but for nothing more. He'd get it, too. He's got a great lawyer.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I have a feeling this was the real goal, just to waste Jim Sterling's time and make him pay out of pocket for it.

That's my feeling too. In that case they probably succeeded. Bet Jim now has a pretty nice legal bill as a result.

mr_nexus

Banned

At least Jim can go back to shitting on them again without fear of being sued. Hopefully other jackass developers will think twice before attempting something similar.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
tumblr_m5o74m7QWC1qdq5u6.gif

Floody

Happy it's all over for Jim, shame he's gonna have to pay, but at least those parasites won't be taking anymore of his time or putting any unnecessary stress on the man. Think I'll support his Patreon for a few months.

Arttemis

Happy it's all over for Jim, shame he's gonna have to pay, but at least those parasites won't be taking anymore of his time or putting any unnecessary stress on the man. Think I'll support his Patreon for a few months.

Will he? Can't he file a counter suit to make the plaintiff pay for for the legal fees he caused?

And all at the cost of the complete dissolution of their company and their income. Good job, guys!

Floody

Will he? Can't he file a counter suit to make the plaintiff pay for for the legal fees he caused?

As of now he does, certainly a possibility though, be a nice outcome if Jim gives them a good spanken for wasting so much of his time.

Edit: As Cheerllee as said, it's also likely DH won't even have the money to pay, Jim will probably be merciful on them.

Cheerilee

I think Jim may counter-sue for compensation for his legal fees, but for nothing more. He'd get it, too. He's got a great lawyer.

Blood from a stone. If Romine/Digital Homicide is broke as shit and his kids can't afford shoes because their daddy's an idiot who threw his livelihood away because his pride won't allow anyone to call his cheap cash-in shit "cheap cash-in shit", then it's possible for him to sit in a courthouse all day and cause trouble for everyone by filing random documents, but you can't extract fair compensation from him because he has no money to give. The most you can do is blow even more of your own money on lawyers for the satisfaction of delivering a Mortal Kombat-style financial fatality.

Lamptramp

Thank the lord for Jim Fucking Sterling Son.

Its nice to know he can continue on work without the fag faff of dealing with this nonsense.

[edit]

American English is not the one true language guys "fag" wouldn't have even made sense had I been using it in a derogatory sense, which I don't as a non American.

Mifec

It's obv a typo, why are you people freaking out? It makes no sense in the context of their post.

on topic: Glad this shit is finally done and I hope Jim sues for lawyer fees.

Gattsu25

Banned
Congrats on this ending, Jim.

It's a shame that you had to spend so much to get to this resolution, however.

This entire process seemed to be designed to harass you and waste your money.

Thank God Jim was able to get the ending out of this. Digital Homicide deserved to be kicked in the teeth for all the shit they've pulled.

Case has run its course, ending the only place it ever could.

I guess it's time DH changed their name again.
Virtual Manslaughter incoming with their hit game "The Homicide Zone"?

Joe T.

Glad this worked out for Jim.

It's obv a typo, why are you people freaking out? It makes no sense in the context of their post.

It does, though. It's the context that had me Google it to be sure 'cause I don't think I've ever seen it used that way. Learn something new every day.

oni-link

Glad that Jim won, and I'm looking forward to any video he makes on the subject, but at the same time, as deluded and borderline insane as the Digital Homicide guys are, I hope their pursuit of this insanity doesn't cause any long term financial hardship for them or their families

Top Bottom