• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being threatened by Digital Homicide devs with doxxing

info here

Jim Sterling said:
If Digital Homicide or any other number of "indie developers" with a grudge think this is fucking intimidating, they can think again.
This is of course a very thinly veiled threat, the line about indie developers "finding" me makes that quite abundantly clear.
Maybe one of these cowardly fucks can actually make good on the legal threats they're always promising, or better yet, actually come knockin' right on my front door. I'm clearly easy to find, and I'd love to have a nice face-to-face chat. Something tells me I'll never actually *see* the face of one of these craven little shits, though.
This is alarming, most definitely. The level of obsession exhibited by the makers of these anonymous Tumblr blogs (which were pretty much confirmed to be James and Robert Romine after they exposed themselves on Twitter) is creepy and unsettling. But they're dumber than I thought possible if they think this'll stop me covering their shit little games.
I'm still waiting for that cease and desist letter, Mr. Romine.

Fuck these assholes.

Dio

Banned
This is the weirdest little saga they have going here. Everyone would have forgotten about these assholes a very long time ago if they didn't keep doing this shit, but they've amplified themselves beyond 'just another group of people pushing shit games onto Steam.'

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One day wants to interview with him, a few months later wants to threaten doxing.

I'm sure this will win you over good business. Though after the interview, I can't say I'm surprised. The guy seemed kind of... Well, unstable. I have my suspicions this idea wasn't of his own design, I wouldn't be surprised if some... 'people' tried to get in contact with him after all of these shenanigans.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
They claim they can find his address from one image of a generic neighborhood (okay what state he lives in is public knowledge). Color me skeptical they actually have his address

Regardless though, real threat or bluster, fucking disgusting. Assholes

DrArchon

I follow most of Jim's Youtube work, and I might be forgetting something, but I don't think Jim has mentioned DH in a while. No Greenlight vids, no gameplay vids, his last vid on them was his Jimquistion on them which was at least a couple of weeks ago. They had no reason to threaten Jim now and put the spotlight back on them.

The only thing I can imagine is that DH actually likes this spat with Jim. They love the fact that people know who they are. They're internet famous in a weird way. They gotta stoke the fires everytime they start to die down so people don't forget about them.

Zubz

Banned
So, what are they hoping to gain from threatening to share his address over the Internet if it's so easy to do based on that one screencap from his Halloween video? Honestly, I feel more pity towards these guys than I feel worried about them, but this little joke has gone on for way too long. I really hope they don't end up harming Jim or his loved ones, but at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if Jim should take some sort of legal recourse?

Dio

Banned
So, what are they hoping to gain from threatening to share his address over the Internet if it's so easy to do based on that one screencap from his Halloween video? Honestly, I feel more pity towards these guys than I feel worried about them, but this little joke has gone on for way too long. I really hope they don't end up harming Jim or his loved ones, but at the same time, I'm starting to wonder if Jim should take some sort of legal recourse?

Doxxing isn't just posting someone's home address. Sometimes it can include everything from social security numbers to personal bank account information to passwords. It's a vague term to be sure but 'doxxing' allows for the imagination to fill in the gaps. They know this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So... uh, for those of us just tuning in: What the hell is going on? Why the beef? Why the threat to doxx?

I follow most of Jim's Youtube work, and I might be forgetting something, but I don't think Jim has mentioned DH in a while. No Greenlight vids, no gameplay vids, his last vid on them was his Jimquistion on them which was at least a couple of weeks ago. They had no reason to threaten Jim now and put the spotlight back on them.

The only thing I can imagine is that DH actually likes this spat with Jim. They love the fact that people know who they are. They're internet famous in a weird way. They gotta stoke the fires everytime they start to die down so people don't forget about them

I'm guessing a combo of this and just being general shitheels.

What games do these guys make?

Dio

Banned
So... uh, for those of us just tuning in: What the hell is going on? Why the beef? Why the threat to doxx?

Digital Homicide makes extremely shitty Steam games made out of pre-made assets that other people created and badly photoshopped Google Image Search result images. Jim has a series where he posts videos of bad Steam games and he touched on some of their products. They retaliated.

Dusk Golem

Reading it, this almost sounds like the definition of needing outside blame. Your games can't be badly regarded just because they're bad, but because of Jim Sterling. It can't be me, it has to be that man.

Outside of creepily trying to locate his home for... Who knows what reasons (doxxing, I guess?), the whole, "Jim is making his first game, he'll become one of us, what will you put it on Steam Greenlight?," whole bit is a mixture of being kind of silly and very petty.

I just think this person keeps digging his own grave, and the level it's gotten too reminds me of certain online 'groups' which I'm just all-too tired of. Some people who seem to think they're so cool digging up whatever useless information that makes them come off as complete creeps, trying to ruin certain people's lives and whatever depraved things. They remind me of those childish groups that want to be in control, and find their control in some little sad corner of the internet where they paint things in some black and white way that fits whatever 'agenda' they want to complete, though in reality it's just them fixating and obsessing over something in a way that seems to lack any sort of tact or social awareness, or just social maladjustness mixed with maliciousness.

I just am kind of tired of it, it's becoming a louder noise in gaming circles these last few years, and while its quieted down a bit more recently, it's literally one of my least favorite things. I don't want to ignore it, I just am hoping some sort of resolution comes to help take care of these situations so people who have some persona online stop being targeted.

It's really the story that keeps on giving. I'd almost think the whole thing was fake but you can't make up stuff like that interview. These guys really should just fade into obscurity already.

Stay safe, Jim.

Satch

Banned
wtf this is that same guy from the interview where he was trying to get jim to say something nice about the gun sounds?

The only thing I can imagine is that DH actually likes this spat with Jim. They love the fact that people know who they are. They're internet famous in a weird way. They gotta stoke the fires everytime they start to die down so people don't forget about them.

Nail, hit, head, etc.

Lowlives like these simply crave attention, and piggybacking on a popular youtube personality is pretty much a publicity goldmine for a cardboard box studio that gets by on 2 second asset flips. I gotta say, they're really testing the limits of how far "no such thing as bad publicity" goes, but I guess they have nothing to lose.

VariantX

Jim made a video talking about one of their games, which is just a bunch of stuff bought off the unity asset store and slapped together with no cohesive style in a barely functioning shell of a game. DH didn't like getting called out for it, and started a one sided feud with Jim. Every time we forget about them they do stuff like this apparently.

Dusk Golem

He's posting peoples real names bases on there online alias for his fanbase to attack, just like the fake steam reviews and all the other brigading

you know doxxing

The guy did it himself, not the other way around. The interview was demanded by from the guy at Digital Homicide, and it's there he gave his name and information. Jim didn't dig it up or reveal it, the guy in question did it himself.

Hylian7

Digital Homicide is a developer historically known for pushing out utter shit and Unity store asset flips on to Steam Greenlight, some of the games even getting onto Steam itself! Jim covered these games, and of course not in a positive light, and pointed out how they were asset flips, and utter garbage. A few months back Jim did an interview with the Digital Homicide guys on his podcast, and they basically made themselves look like utter tools. They still keep pumping out shit games, even under different developer names. There was one time they used a developer name already used by a European mobile game developer, who was alerted and of course raised hell about their name being slandered like that.

Fast forward to now, these guys are nuts and are threatening to doxx Jim over this because they claim to have figured out his address knowing what state he lives in, and by the parts we have seen of his home from some parts of Jimquisition episodes.

It's doubtful they actually have the address, and unlikely they are even close.

These guys are fucking assholes. Congrats, you got famous because you put baby's first game on steam for a profit and rightfully got called out on it. I'm pretty sure the likes of EA or Activision will surely hire you.

Hylian7

He's posting peoples real names bases on there online alias for his fanbase to attack, just like the fake steam reviews and all the other brigading

you know doxxing

Let's say I had a Twitter account that was different from my GAF name, and it was a Twitter for myself as a game developer using my real name. Now let's say my game is bad and a Unity store asset flip, and then here on GAF I were to use this account throwing all these accusations at people for criticizing my game. Then DetectiveGAF figures out that I'm actually the developer. Is that Doxxing?

I would be using an alternate identity to cover up bad things on my real identity. Think of it how people don't like astroturfing.

Digital Homicide are the gaming dev equivalent of a dumpster truck on fire.

Fuck the garbage they put out on steam.

Long live Jim Fucking Sterling son.

Nokterian

What the fuck? They're fucking nuts what a utter shitheads why are these guys not arrested yet because this is straight harassment and threatening jim.

That's horrible. I love Jim Sterling. This developer sounds like he has some serious problems. Hopefully he realizes how terrible this is and backs off and gets some help.

Digital Homicide makes extremely shitty Steam games made out of pre-made assets that other people created and badly photoshopped Google Image Search result images. Jim has a series where he posts videos of bad Steam games and he touched on some of their products. They retaliated.

Yeah, and they have gone under multiple different developer names so they can continue to abuse the Steam Greenlight/ early access system and rip people off. What they do is technically not illegal or breaks the Valve TOS. But it is still abuse of those systems.

Their attack on Jim is really coming off as desperate. Accusing Jim of Doxxing himself by showing the street where he lives and accusing him of "flipping assets" with a "#FucKonami" t-shirt that was commissioned by another artists. It's like they want to stay in the public eye by continually prodding Jim.

you know doxxing

Before you dig a big hole you can't climb out of... Read everything between Jim and these asshats again.

These guys are absolute scum. I hope their revenues have dried up after Steam started offering refunds.

If there's any good that came out of them, it's that reading up on the whole shitstorm they started directly led to me instantly becoming a fan of Jim. They really need a reality check because their stunts only help Jim in the end.

poodaddy

I don't want to sound like a neanderthal, but my dad used to tell me that some people can't be reasoned with. He told me that those people only understand when the shit's getting kicked out of em.....I think Digital Homicide falls under this category. They don't deserve civil debate unfortunately; they've already been granted that privilege and just used it to make asses out of themselves. All they deserve now is a visit from some guy named Joey who lives round the block.

Top Bottom