• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being threatened by Digital Homicide devs with doxxing

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
At first it was great that Jim kept doing videos on them, so as not to let them off the hook for their actions. Now it just seems that they like it, maybe he should start ignoring them. Although whether he keeps going or not, they will declare themselves winners either way.

This is almost definitely illegal, right? Why the hell are making it so obvious it's them publicly stalking and posting his public information?

It's not like they have anything resembling a fanbase or defense force.

takriel

I hope Digital Homicides games won't sell better because of the repeated coverage Jim grants them. Doesn't matter if he shits on them, once the games are "famous" for being especially bad, people might buy them to check them out for themselves.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I hope Digital Homicides games won't sell better because of the repeated coverage Jim grants them. Doesn't matter if he shits on them, once the games are "famous" for being especially bad, people might buy them to check them out for themselves.

AFAIK, they have multiple developer alias's on Steam.

YoungFa

I'm sure companies like Lab Zero, Yacht Club Games, Larian or WayForward appreciate the sentiment of your post.

Do you see why generalizations are bad?

I know it's bad generalization. Just some people can spoil it for all. Maybe there should be a finer terminology to distinguish professional indipendent game developers and those clowns.

barit

This reaches new criminal traits. Not that DH tries to scam customers with their 10+ garbage games on Steam every year, no now they try to threat the only person who calls them out. What a shitty company. Someone should sue them until they are gone for good. Fuck that I hate injustice.

People like this is why I think indies are a joke.

Comments like this are why I think you're a complete idiot.

I imagine shitty low-quality devs like these guys have been hit the hardest by the Steam Refunds thing. They probably got increased interest because of their coverage by/feud with Jim, but once refunds went active I imagine a fair few people bought their games out of curiosity but then after seeing how shite they were sought refunds immediately.

Digital Homicide are decades late to proving that. There's this guy called Derek. He has a PhD.
Sounds like he's Smart.

I know it's bad generalization. Just some people can spoil it for all. Maybe there should be a finer terminology to distinguish professional indipendent game developers and those clowns.
There's a difference between dev's who spend years of proper planning, design, programming, art, etc. work to make a game and a dev who just keeps using pre-bought Unity assets to throw together a barely playable piece of programming in a few days. Lumping them both together because they're both technically 'independent' is more than unfair.

This is getting beyond a joke now. Digital Homicide are seriously one of the worst developers in gaming, if not the worst. Bunch of shits.

OmegaDL50

Indie has nothing to do with the quality of one's work.

You do understand that Indie means developers that develop and raise money entirely on their own a majority of the time without an external publisher on board, right? Hence a shorten term for Independant.

It has nothing to do with the quality or budget of a game. That is only distinction between Indie and AAA, basically developers who handling their own dev costs and publishing versus large corporate funded projects such as EA, Activision, Square, Capcom, etc.

Indie is not a subset term under a small umbrella of games determined by small budgets or low quality. Even large multi-million dollar projects such as Star Citizen technically qualify as indie on the basis that it's independently published without a large company funding it's development.

NeonBlack

Makes sense, you can either put effort into your games or dox the person letting everyone know how bad you are. Doxing is obviously the correct answer. There are no negative side effects, especially if you announce it before hand.

YoungFa

Indie has nothing to do with the quality of one's work.

You do understand that Indie means developers that develop and raise money entirely on their own a majority of the time without an external publisher on board, right? Hence a shorten term for Independant.

It has nothing to do with the quality or budget of a game. That is only distinction between Indie and AAA, basically developers who handling their own dev costs and publishing versus large corporate funded projects such as EA, Activision, Square, Capcom, etc.

Indie is not a subset term under a small umbrella of games determined by small budgets or low quality. Even large multi-million dollar projects such as Star Citizen technically qualify as indie on the basis that it's independently published without a large company funding it's development.

I know that. That's why I was proposing to make this further differntiation between indipendent developers, to distinguish between those who run there business professionally and those who don't. I never made any assumptions about quality or budget of their product. But the fact the financing of the development is self organized removes the entry barrier to become a game developer.

The term indipendent (e.g movie, band, or in this case gamedev) is usually used to differentiate oneself from the mainstream industry, where a few players have a huge influence over what gets made and what not. But compared to becoming a developer in a classical publisher - dev relationship, becoming an indipendent game developer has much lower entry barriers. As the classical developer has to enter a relationship with an established publisher, which will require a certain level of professionalism from the the developer, as an assurance to do proper business.

For indipendent developers this assurances doesn't exists. So while it is safe to assume that all classical developers exhibit a certain level of professionalism, we cannot say the same about indipendent developers. And this why I propose to distiniguish, on an linguistic level, between the indipendent developers who operate by a professional code of conduct, and those who don't.

Seriously, can Valve just make an executive decision and boot them off the Steam service?

Not on the basis of any service violation or legal nonsense, but just on general moral principle.

How many boundaries do these guys have to cross before they get some pushback on the business end?

OmegaDL50

I know that. That's why I was proposing to make this further differntiation between indipendent developers, to distinguish between those who run there business professionally and those who don't. I never made any assumptions about quality or budget of their product. But the fact the financing of the development is self organized removes the entry barrier to become a game developer.

The term indipendent (e.g movie, band, or in this case gamedev) is usually used to differentiate oneself from the mainstream industry, where a few players have a huge influence over what gets made and what not. But compared to becoming a developer in a classical publisher - dev relationship, becoming an indipendent game developer has much lower entry barriers. As the classical developer has to enter a relationship with an established publisher, which will require a certain level of professionalism from the the developer, as an assurance to do proper business.

For indipendent developers this assurances doesn't exists. So while it is safe to assume that all classical developers exhibit a certain level of professionalism, we cannot say the same about indipendent developers. And this why I propose to distiniguish, on an linguistic level, between the indipendent developers who operate by a professional code of conduct, and those who don't.

You are saying this entirely with the premise as if AAA devs always act professional themselves, this isn't always true.

There will ALWAYS be a case by case basis for all things, I mean look at the recent 30 FPS tweets by Pete Hines for Fallout 4 for example.

takriel

Comments like this are why I think you're a complete idiot.

I imagine shitty low-quality devs like these guys have been hit the hardest by the Steam Refunds thing. They probably got increased interest because of their coverage by/feud with Jim, but once refunds went active I imagine a fair few people bought their games out of curiosity but then after seeing how shite they were sought refunds immediately.

That's a fair point. I hope that's the case.

YoungFa

You are saying this entirely with the premise as if AAA devs always act professional themselves, this isn't always true.

There will ALWAYS be a case by case basis for all things, I mean look at the recent 30 FPS tweets by Pete Hines for Fallout 4 for example.

I dont say they always act professional, I say there is good reason to expect professional behavior from them. Also we have to distinguish between the actions of members of an organizations and the actions of the organization as an entity. But I'm inclined to say that there is an industry wide cultural problem in regards to professional behavior of individual developers/artists.

FyreWulff

And people wonder why developers don't like the fact that their home address is forcibly exposed if they have anything on Google Play.

That's very close minded.
Kinda how racist think.

Exactly my point with my earlier post.

You know in another thread someone questioned why I'm so bothered that complete garbage can make it onto Steam. Well, these guys' shit made it onto steam and the fact they keep popping up is why Jim keeps covering them. Think about that for a bit and get real sad.

This insane anything goes market place they've set up allows for these kinds of borderline completely anonymous fucks to just get any asset flip crap they can slap together onto greenlight and possibly with enough troll votes onto the actual marketplace.

As an aside, I think it's hilarious Jim is actually making money from the phrase they coined. (At least, I assume he's getting the majority of the profits from the T-shirt sales.)

Wil348

Can't DH get themselves into legal trouble for this? I don't think seeking out somebody's personal details out of malice would be considered by authorities to be 'acceptible'.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Wish they could be sanctioned and have all their games (oh wait...their only game) frozen from sales. This sort of shit shouldn't be tolerated full stop.

poodaddy

Gold Member

I hate to be this guy but..... *independent. Spell check is your friend.
Oh and your attitude towards independent developers is moronic and offensive
. :)

Top Bottom