• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling is being threatened by Digital Homicide devs with doxxing

(I sent this to you on Ask.fm, but it kicked me to the login page when I clicked Send and I didn't want to resend it in case you got the first one and I'd just be glutting your inbox, so I apologize if you've seen this before)

Robert said he had three kids, right? Have you ever wondered what kind of household those kids are in, having this whackjob for a father?
I wouldn't want to speculate. I've no intention of bringing any of their families into it.

Matty77

I wish they'd both just shut up and move on. I don't agree with Doxxing, but then I don't really find Jim's constant poking and prodding at Digital Homicide to have helped either.
Jim is not "constantly poking or prodding". He is probably the closest thing to a consumer advocate this industry has and pointed out that their games are not good enough to play if they paid you. He does this with many others, from many bad games on steam greenlight which he has a series for, all the way up the industry to Konami and most recently the Payday guys.

Out of all those people and corporations DH are the only ones that took criticism personally. Initially they kept it going up till Jim gave the interview, now they are doing this. The whole time Jim has kept what he's saying about their shit quality and deceptive business practices. This isn't a both sides are bad issue and don't try to make it that because you don't want to hear it. If that's the case just avoid videos and threads about the subject.

Jim is not "constantly poking or prodding". He is probably the closest thing to a consumer advocate this industry has and pointed out that their games are not good enough to play if they paid you. He does this with many others, from many bad games on steam greenlight which he has a series for, all the way up the industry to Konami and most recently the Payday guys.

Out of all those people and corporations DH are the only ones that took criticism personally. Initially they kept it going up till Jim gave the interview, now they are doing this. The whole time Jim has kept what he's saying about their shit quality and deceptive business practices. This isn't a both sides are bad issue and don't try to make it that because you don't want to hear it. If that's the case just avoid videos and threads about the subject.

It takes two to tango.

I wish they'd both just shut up and move on. I don't agree with Doxxing, but then I don't really find Jim's constant poking and prodding at Digital Homicide to have helped either.

He really hasn't made that many videos about them. Besides, simply don't watch those videos if you're not interested. Personally, I have no problem with them being called out for all their shitty practices. They haven't been enough yet, or they'd have stopped.

It takes two to tango.

Right... if he wouldn't have called them out for their shitty-non-game-asset-flips they wouldn't have gotten pissed off and gone all crazy. I can totally see how in any way shape or form this is Jim's fault. Totally.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Goddamn, these scumbags just won't stop. Stay safe, Jim.

It takes two to tango.
I think he's made more videos about their games without knowing who they were made by because they used different names than he has calling them out specifically. Besides that, he just makes fun of them putting out low quality products. They've threatened him legally multiple times and now they're challenging his privacy and home. Not even in the same stratosphere.

Right... if he wouldn't have called them out for their shitty-non-game-asset-flips they wouldn't have gotten pissed off and gone all crazy. I can totally see how in any way shape or form this is Jim's fault. Totally.

He didn't have to interview "them".

If you think it was solely for the purpose of being fair and constructive, I don't know what to tell you.

Just ignore them and they will go away.

I listened today to Jim's interview with the guy and I found it quite bizzare. There seemed to be a lot of resentment there and he didn't seem very coherent in what his actual problems or potential grievances are apart from being pissed at some of Jim's audience giving him shit on forums. He come across a little strange.

Reminded me a little of the way some people used to despise and rant at Jim on here for his reviews on destructoid, just rambling on without understanding it was the mans opinion on something they hadn't even played yet.

kadotsu

Banned
I wish Jim that this fire gets put out quickly and that any legal action is successful.

BTW your recent Genesis Online video is monetized. Did it get content claimed by the devs?

bottleknight

Neo Member

If you think it was solely for the purpose of being fair and constructive, I don't know what to tell you.

Jim was creating entertainment, and really all of this is entertainment until the threats. Blaming Jim even 1% for this is absurdly misplaced judgment.

This has been going on for nearly a year, and I've seen at least 3 videos from Jim about Digital Homicide over the course of the year too. There's been other videos where he's referenced them and their games, as well. I'm not trying to defend Digital Homicide here, but at the same time I don't feel like Jim Sterling is a saint in all of this.

I often enjoy his videos, but I've grown tired of this never ending saga that seems to keep coming around due to one party or the other stirring it back up.
As for Jim's videos on Greenlight Games, I kind of wish that would stop now too as it's grown as lazy as the very games he slates there's no real constructive critcisim to them, just 5 minutes of listing things he doesn't like, hate, thinks is shit. I tend not to watch those ones any more, but I guess other people still enjoy them. So whatever works for him, I guess.

Anyway, like I said the Doxxing thing is stupid and creepy, but at the same time it's been proven that Digital Homicide will react (over react) so I don't see the point in keep provoking them to do so? I'm sure we all know they make bad games by now. Would this be happening if seemingly constant shout outs, call backs and references weren't made about them?

I don't know, I'm just sitting here utterly bemused at how this entire thing is still on going.
However, it seems others are enjoying it, so perhaps I shouldn't have spoke up. Who knows. All I know is it'd be nice to see Jim Sterling go back to doing videos that were quality and informative, sadly it's one of the few things that have suffered since his switch to YouTube. I appreciate this is an entirely subjective view.

Momentary

Banned
Wow. I hope Valve at least takes down their games from their storefront. This is down right creepy. There's got to be some kind of consequence for this on Digital Homicide's end. This has go to stop soon. I've watched too many shows on Investigation Discovery to know how situations like this usually end if not rectified immediately.

Stay safe Jim.

Yeah, he should have known interviewing them would turn into this, of course. And he should stop talking about a subject he finds important, because, again, he should have known talking about a game dev would escalate to this insane level.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I'm sure the address they uncovered was 10 completely different addresses slapped together in no logical and coherent fashion (but it sounds good, you cannot deny its sound is good)

Mr Jim Fucking Sterling Son,
C/O Buckingham Palace
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Cardiff
County Colombia,
Asgard
N9879 XH78
Hollywood
Somewhere in America
Etc.
I got lazy.

Aroll

In a way, I almost wonder if this is purposeful. That they continue to keep this saga going, getting Jim to mention them, mention their games, give them all this negative press... because they are seeing tangible returns on the sales thanks to it. Reverse psycology their way straight to profitability. Making shit games that get covered by Jim, because Jim covering them causes some to buy them just to see how shit they are.

I know, this would actually make sense and be based on logic - something DH seems incapable of doing... but then again, this is DH. Maybe they know exactly what they are doing.

RevenWolf

In a way, I almost wonder if this is purposeful. That they continue to keep this saga going, getting Jim to mention them, mention their games, give them all this negative press... because they are seeing tangible returns on the sales thanks to it. Reverse psycology their way straight to profitability. Making shit games that get covered by Jim, because Jim covering them causes some to buy them just to see how shit they are.

I know, this would actually make sense and be based on logic - something DH seems incapable of doing... but then again, this is DH. Maybe they know exactly what they are doing.

I thought so too but surely now with refunds available this would work even less?

Matty77

This has been going on for nearly a year, and I've seen at least 3 videos from Jim about Digital Homicide over the course of the year too. There's been other videos where he's referenced them and their games, as well. I'm not trying to defend Digital Homicide here, but at the same time I don't feel like Jim Sterling is a saint in all of this.

I often enjoy his videos, but I've grown tired of this never ending saga that seems to keep coming around due to one party or the other stirring it back up.
As for Jim's videos on Greenlight Games, I kind of wish that would stop now too as it's grown as lazy as the very games he slates there's no real constructive critcisim to them, just 5 minutes of listing things he doesn't like, hate, thinks is shit. I tend not to watch those ones any more, but I guess other people still enjoy them. So whatever works for him, I guess.

Anyway, like I said the Doxxing thing is stupid and creepy, but at the same time it's been proven that Digital Homicide will react (over react) so I don't see the point in keep provoking them to do so? I'm sure we all know they make bad games by now. Would this be happening if seemingly constant shout outs, call backs and references weren't made about them?

I don't know, I'm just sitting here utterly bemused at how this entire thing is still on going.
However, it seems others are enjoying it, so perhaps I shouldn't have spoke up. Who knows. All I know is it'd be nice to see Jim Sterling go back to doing videos that were quality and informative, sadly it's one of the few things that have suffered since his switch to YouTube. I appreciate this is an entirely subjective view.
I still differ in opinion, but thanks for the thought out well stated response, it's nice to know sometimes these things can provide actual exchange of viewpoints and rational discourse, that brightens my day.

Matty77

Yeah, he should have known interviewing them would turn into this, of course. And he should stop talking about a subject he finds important, because, again, he should have known talking about a game dev would escalate to this insane level.
As I said in every post I have made in this thread, he calls out everything he thinks is bad from shovel ware to triple a publishing houses in the same manner. DH are the only ones taking it personally, that in itself should say something about blame. Unless the people blaming Jim are corporate apologists or the type that think people should not be allowed to criticize.

Really depends on price. There are likely plenty of people unwilling to go through the process just to get $5 back.

I disagree, I don't think people who aren't invested enough to request a refund would ever buy something like this. For the vast majority of steam users they just stick to well recognized games. When you're far enough down the rabbit hole that you're coming across stuff like Digital Homicide games you have to be pretty well versed with Steam and know the ins and outs of getting your money back when a game sucks.

Adnor

Banned
Stay safe, Jim! I hope you can corroborate who really are making those threats so you can use the full force of the law against them <3

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I know that. That's why I was proposing to make this further differntiation between indipendent developers, to distinguish between those who run there business professionally and those who don't. I never made any assumptions about quality or budget of their product. But the fact the financing of the development is self organized removes the entry barrier to become a game developer.

The term indipendent (e.g movie, band, or in this case gamedev) is usually used to differentiate oneself from the mainstream industry, where a few players have a huge influence over what gets made and what not. But compared to becoming a developer in a classical publisher - dev relationship, becoming an indipendent game developer has much lower entry barriers. As the classical developer has to enter a relationship with an established publisher, which will require a certain level of professionalism from the the developer, as an assurance to do proper business.

For indipendent developers this assurances doesn't exists. So while it is safe to assume that all classical developers exhibit a certain level of professionalism, we cannot say the same about indipendent developers. And this why I propose to distiniguish, on an linguistic level, between the indipendent developers who operate by a professional code of conduct, and those who don't.

Youngfa pls

it's "independent" - it just hurts my eyes seeing it misspelled six times in a row like that. For the rest of it, well, you've been called out a lot already, but if you think indies are a joke because of the action of these particular assholes, I'm just going to assume that you are looking too hard for confirmation of an already firmly established prejudice.

I don't want to sound like a neanderthal, but my dad used to tell me that some people can't be reasoned with. He told me that those people only understand when the shit's getting kicked out of em.....I think Digital Homicide falls under this category. They don't deserve civil debate unfortunately; they've already been granted that privilege and just used it to make asses out of themselves. All they deserve now is a visit from some guy named Joey who lives round the block.

Yes, and Joey will have surely a good time in prison after that.

Sounds not like neanderthal, sounds more like psychopath to me. Perhaps worse than the DH devs.

You now... you can ignore people you dont like, you don't have to "kick the shit out of them".

Akibared

Yes, and Joey will have surely a good time in prison after that.

Sounds not like neanderthal, sounds more like psychopath to me. Perhaps worse than the DH devs.

You now... you can ignore people you dont like, you don't have to "kick the shit out of them".

That's what I feel the legal system is there for, if someone is up your ass and you can't ignore them get the proper authorities involved.

Faabulous

So what that Jim has been doing this for a year? He could have been calling Digital Homicides games shit for 10 fucking years and it still woudln't justify the threats.

Keep it up Jim!

Youngfa pls

it's "independent" - it just hurts my eyes seeing it misspelled six times in a row like that. For the rest of it, well, you've been called out a lot already, but if you think indies are a joke because of the action of these particular assholes, I'm just going to assume that you are looking too hard for confirmation of an already firmly established prejudice.
Oh shite you guys didn't know? We are all insufferable little cunts that get offended when negativity is thrown out way.

Nana Nana boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

And the saga continues. Honestly, if they spent half the energy they're wasting on this on game development they might make decent games.

I'd call them idiots but that is an insult to an idiot. Like you said, if they put this effort into making a good game then perhaps Jim could cover it and say positive things about it.

3U52ftw.png

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/666025002022674434

https://twitter.com/JimSterling/status/666025240493977600

Huh. That's an interesting turn of events. I like how somebody on Twitter suggested that Jim and DH team up to get the weirdos away from Jim and clear DH's name.

So enemies team up to defeat a common foe and eventually find common ground? Jim's life has officially become an anime.

Terrell

It's times like this where I wish we could request involuntary psych evaluations as part of crime prevention. There's enough evidence to indicate that SOMEONE has potentially lost their mind over at DH and has potentially threatened a criminal activity to harm another, after previously invoking legal action, because that totally seems like something a perfectly sensible and together human does. This would be the time I'd like a medical professional to step in, for sure.

But if the statement is true and the doxxing is coming from outside of DH's influence... wow, who has to be so broken that they would DEFEND them without being a part of their ragtag organization?

Top Bottom