• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling rumor: Deus Ex MD sequel in development [Up: Schreier says probably not]

AHA-Lambda

Update:

I don't think this is true. As far as I know, Eidos Montreal is currently working on Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Guardians of the Galaxy as well as helping out with Crystal Dynamics' projects.

Deus Ex's art director agrees that this is unlikely as well:

kKEoqGc.png

---

Info from latest episode of his podcast, at 54 mins in.

Basically describes the previously rumoured information (from past Jimquisition episodes) of a MD sequel being developed in conjunction with MD, and that would be part of a potential trilogy.

Apparently some staff from that team got pulled to working on MD in order to get that finished, and so slowed down the MD sequel's development.
But the last he's heard is that the MD sequel is still being worked on.
However, that said there's no indication how recent that info may be, but I thought it best to put the info out there.

http://www.thejimquisition.com/podq...-could-crush-you-from-the-testicles-outwards/

Lock if old.

I would love if this is true. I feel like the story took a huge shit towards the end of HR and never recovered, but these games are still so much fun to play.

It's been repeated ad nauseum on GAF, but MD is truly one of this generation's hidden gems.

Bl@de

I believe! My game of the year 2016. Very underrated immersive sim and a great sequel to the franchise.

Interesting. The running theory was that the third game got scrapped when Montreal was shifted to a Marvel title, correct?

I wonder if they decided​ to just wrap up the trilogy with a smaller budgeted sequel, so they can at least end things on a better conclusion. If they can get out a sequel without too much backend work on the engine, it seems like easy profit. Mankind Divided might have only felt like an underperformer relative to how much time had passed from Human Revolution.

HariKari

They should just blend MD in with this sequel and give you the option to skip to the new content, but otherwise have it as one package.

fritzo

I would love if this is true. I feel like the story took a huge shit towards the end of HR and never recovered, but these games are still so much fun to play.

It's been repeated ad nauseum on GAF, but MD is truly one of this generation's hidden gems.

Agreed. I wasn't upset at the ending of MD at first because I assumed and heard that the sequel was being developed. But then when it was announced that it may be on hiatus for a while, it made me hate how it left us hanging. So I hope this is true.

Interesting. The running theory was that the third game got scrapped when Montreal was shifted to a Marvel title, correct?

I wonder if they decided​ to just wrap up the trilogy with a smaller budgeted sequel, so they can at least end things on a better conclusion. If they can get out a sequel without too much backend work on the engine, it seems like easy profit. Mankind Divided might have only felt like an underperformer relative to how much time had passed from Human Revolution.

I think MD sold under a million copies which seems like a death sentence for what Sqaure Enix expects from one of their higher budgeted games these days.

BigBoss

Great news, if true. I need to know whats up with (massive Mankind Divided/MGSV spoilers, maybe?)
Venom Jensen

duckroll

All assets already done probably being reworked into a cyberpunk city world you visit in Marvel™'s Guardians of the Galaxy™ from Square Enix™.

Vibranium

Banned
Please Jim, don't be screwing around on this one. We need a conclusion to Jensen's story and to get more Illuminati antics. Deus Ex needs to continue.

Also, please make takedowns either real-time or allow actual melee attacks, thanks Eidos.

I don't believe this is true, unfortunately.

Judging by this tweet from the executive art director of Mankind Divided a few months ago.

kKEoqGc.png

Vibranium

Banned
They pretty much perfected the gameplay with MD, now I just want more hours of story and side missions.

I don't know, the melee system could still use work (revamp takedowns) and enemy AI could be a little more complex like MGSV in terms of communicating and waking up. And the lack of swimming like the original game kind of sucks. But yeah, Mankind Divided still played pretty great.

Not happening, sorry but it is the reality of the situation. Publishers need to keep their sales expectations in line with reality and not millions of copies. At least the team is still working and being supported while they work on whatever else they are doing.

Boss Mog

They're still selling Day One Editions of Mankind Divided and the game has been dirt cheap for the last 6 months. I can't imagine it met SE's expectations.

Arklite

I don't believe this is true, unfortunately.

Judging by this tweet from the executive art director of Mankind Divided a few months ago.

kKEoqGc.png

Man I hope things changed since then. Though if parts of the team did move to Tomb Raider it'd be interesting to see Deus Ex art director take on it.

I don't know, the melee system could still use work (revamp takedowns) and enemy AI could be a little more complex like MGSV in terms of communicating and waking up. And the lack of swimming like the original game kind of sucks. But yeah, Mankind Divided still played pretty great.

I guess I should have mentioned, but I pretty much stealth my way through the entire game so I don't actually know if the gameplay is actually perfect from a hostile perspective XD

I definitely agree with you on AI.

Vibranium

Banned
I guess I should have mentioned, but I pretty much stealth my way through the entire game so I don't actually know if the gameplay is actually perfect from a hostile perspective XD

I definitely agree with you on AI.

Yeah, I stealth too haha!

I think it's just a little too easy to go pure stealth, when Deus Ex eventually comes back I'd love to see a harder challenge.

Top Bottom