• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling : Screw Apple, Screw Google, And Screw Epic Games

Jose92

[Membe

Screw the lot of them. Yes, Apple and Google need taking down from their high towers. Yes, Epic Games has a point as it sues to keep Fortnite on mobile devices. But absolutely all of them are as bad as each other. Epic Games is currently trying to mobilize fans into an embarrassing sort of freedom force. The company deliberately broke terms of service with Apple in order to manipulate a situation in which Fortnite's removed from the App Store and Epic positions itself as a rebel icon. Fortnite started trying to see virtual currency directly, ignoring the mandatory payment processes that give Apple and Google their cuts on iOS and Android. It's a gigantic fight over money that Epic has more or less staged, and while Apple and Google take huge cuts from developers, there is no way Epic should be seen as a hero - especially with the tasteless way in which it's performing said "heroics."

Dr Bass

Meanwhile, people who have worked in the industry for decades and are thinking about the state of software freedom ...

This has been a problem since the launch of the app store. You need to be able to install whatever software you want on your own personal computing device. That's what needs to come out of this battle. And that's why Epic is suing for ... zero dollars.

Dane

Meanwhile, people who have worked in the industry for decades and are thinking about the state of software freedom ...

This has been a problem since the launch of the app store. You need to be able to install whatever software you want on your own personal computing device. That's what needs to come out of this battle. And that's why Epic is suing for ... zero dollars.

Hardware-OS makers are not obliged to do thing, at best the only legit cause is that anyone should be able to mess with their indiviual owned hardware, phone or console, but that also means that the maker shouldn't have give any support for that.

Screw Jim Sterling.
IckyAgileGreatdane-size_restricted.gif

Silvawuff

Great video. Even if you don't like his shtick, he made some great points about current events. I think this video actually had more focus than his usual offering of long-winded industry slams.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Mr Sterling often makes good points, but his far left political leanings rather undercut those points at times. The non stop war on capitalism is tiring, as is his misogyny regarding trans rights. But I often find myself agreeing with him on his video game opinions.

The guy’s smart, he’s just bought into the far left ideology too much.

Stuart360

Mr Sterling often makes good points, but his far left political leanings rather undercut those points at times. The non stop war on capitalism is tiring, as is his misogyny regarding trans rights. But I often find myself agreeing with him on his video game opinions.

The guy’s smart, he’s just bought into the far left ideology too much.
If you watch a lot of his early vids from years ago, he was very anti SJW, and probably more right than left, at least with some subjects. I just think when you're in the public eye, you have to conform, or get cancelled.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If you watch a lot of his early vids from years ago, he was very anti SJW, and probably more right than left, at least with some subjects. I just think when you're in the public eye, you have to conform, or get cancelled.

Yeah, agreed. This seems to happen to everyone trying to maintain a public profile, and a living, by talking about video games. Jim always used to be a centrist / slightly left wing kinda guy, but sensibly so. Pro gay rights, pro choice, etc. But now he’s fully down the rabbit hole of SJW thinking, largely I suspect because he’s constantly and only surrounded by those types of people. A victim of groupthink if ever there was one.

The lad should come home and get a dose of British middle of the road sensibleness. Would do him the power of good. America has done him no favours. See also Alanah Pearce.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

He had me most of the video, but he lost me when he said people should stand with BLM instead.
Video started off shaky too with the unmarked police cars comment, unmarked police vehicles are nothing new.

The BLM comment at the end was dumb too but I don't see how that invalidates the points he brought up before.

Lethal01

Great video. Even if you don't like his shtick, he made some great points about current events. I think this video actually had more focus than his usual offering of long-winded industry slams.

Video makes it seem that Epic winning against apple would be great for the industry as a whole.

zeorhymer

Didn't he gush all over Epic for breaking out of the Steam shackles or something? Been so long that I seen or heard him.

radewagon

Without presenting a viable alternative. Just like every other person who thinks like him.

I don't think Jim's problem is with something as general as capitalism (though he often frames it that way). Jim seems to be perfectly fine with lots of what capitalism brings to the table. His problems usually stem from issues where capitalism is misused to take advantage of people. If we are just talking about a fair exchange of currency for goods and services, Jim doesn't really attack it. If we are talking about companies treating their workers well so that they can retain the best talent, again, crickets from Jim's critical pen.

Jim doesn't present an alternative to capitalism because his problem isn't just capitalism. It's the extremes to which the game industry sometimes abuses capitalism that are what he lashes out at.

I, for one, am glad he's here to do it. He may be overly critical and I may not always agree with him, but it's good that there's someone out there in games journalism that is openly addressing some of the really messed up things that those in the industry have done to mistreat their employees and fleece their customers.

TriSuit666

Banned
I don't think Jim's problem is with something as general as capitalism (though he often frames it that way). Jim seems to be perfectly fine with lots of what capitalism brings to the table.

Like receiving a free console, then going on to completely and utterly and continually disparage the company concerned.

If he was truely living up to his Communist ideals, he'd have given the console away.

Kokoloko85

Is he still anrgy at everything? He hasn;t made good arguements in years. Ill skip this too by the sounds of it
If he's as left leaning as people think, then that's no surprise.

Nicolás Maduro with Opal Tometi (right), co-founder of Black Lives Matter, in Harlem, Manhattan, December 2015.
maduro-black-lives-matter-linked-1024x682.jpg

You have to be out of mind to want a photo op with this guy and smiling.

And Tometi’s partner in founding of Black Lives Matter, has publicly admitted to being “a trained Marxist”.

Im surprised there standing with A man when they have quotes like this on there website.

”We build a space that affirms Black women and is free from sexism, misogyny, and environments in which men are centered.”

“We are self-reflexive and do the work required to dismantle cisgender privilege and uplift Black trans folk, especially Black trans women who continue to be disproportionately impacted by trans-antagonistic violence.”

This was brought up to me by a straight female friend of mine and how BLM actually doesn’t support Black Straight men much.

Fuck Jim Sterling lol

Ulysses 31

Like receiving a free console, then going on to completely and utterly and continually disparage the company concerned.

If he was truely living up to his Communist ideals, he'd have given the console away.
So because he got free stuff, he shouldn't say bad things about it? :lollipop_grinning:

Yeah that's totally not gonna make it look like he's been bought off. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom