• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Sterling "Shenmue is The Waterworld of Videogames"

fuck you jim
waterworld was an amazing movie :messenger_pouting:
715H1Q5HVPL._AC_SY400_.gif

The Postman is better. :messenger_smirking:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Shenmue was and always will be Yu Suzuki's passion project. He got the greenlight because he made Sega billions of dollars in the 80s and 90s, and yea, it wasn't that popular, and we have all made fun of it in one way or the other. I was playing the remaster over the weekend and I still chuckled every time I asked about sailors. But Suzuki was Gunpei'd twenty years ago and cares about the story so much that he figured out a way to keep it going. At this point why not just let him do his thing.

The Postman is better. :messenger_smirking:

Death Stranding is The Postman of videogames though.

Last edited:
The comparison is fitting. Shenmue and Waterworld are niche works that have been unfairly judged by the larger population and repeatedly get dunked on by imbeciles who didn't even give them a legit chance in the first place.

Pidull

It was a boring ass video, but he'll get clicks from Shenmue fans that disagree.

I love Shenmue and fault no one for hating it. I had more fun replaying Shenmue one this weekend than I did playing Death Stranding.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Didn't Waterworld only go massively over budget due to all its expensive sets being destroyed and needing to be rebuilt during production, and even then despite its hefty price-tag it actually ended up turning a small profit in the end?

Honestly I'm struggling to see any relevance with Shenmue, which simply was a madly ambitious game for its day.

Pimpbaa

The Shenmue and Yakuza games are like apples and oranges.

More like oranges and tangerines. There is a greater focus on fighting in Yakuza and less of that god awful QTEs, but you are still doing adventure shit around the city with tons of minigames.

stranno

More like oranges and tangerines. There is a greater focus on fighting in Yakuza and less of that god awful QTEs, but you are still doing adventure shit around the city with tons of minigames.
True Crime also had similar combat mechanics, while the rest of the game being way more influenced by Grand Theft Auto series, of course.

I can see those Yakuza-Shenmue similarities. But Yakuza handled the fighting-exploration flow infinite times better, Shenmue was just a free roaming Virtua Fighter and that shows.

Its like Panzer Dragoon Saga, you can give Panzer Dragoon Zwei RPG elements and you can make it more open, but in the end it will be Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
waterworld is one of my favorites, possibly top 5 depending on my mood

yeah i said it, the fan edited ulysses cut is so good that it's being officially released

imma pray for all the haters out there

Doom85

Okay, I do think Waterworld sucks as a movie.

BUT, the Waterworld stunt show at Universal Studios is fucking cool. Even to those who don't like the movie, if you ever get the chance to check the show out, do so, it's a fun time.

Last edited:

Banned
Let's be completely frank here, the Shenmue games are not good games... I would position them right at average, at best,
BUT it is very easy to see why people love them, they have a lot that is lovable about them.
but also there is a lot of filler and for the most part the game mechanics are extremely limited/dull aside from the fighting.

for me, a flawed game that at least tried to be something special is immensely more interesting than yet another 3rd person game with shooter, stealth and crafting elements *cough* The Last of Us *cough* Tomb Raider Reboot *cough* every fucking Ubisoft game *cough*
OH IT IS SO FUN SITTING IN A BUSH AND STEALTH KILLING AN ENEMY WITH A BOW AND ARROW... FOR THE 300th TIME... WITHING THE LAST HOUR...

True Crime also had similar combat mechanics, while the rest of the game being way more influenced by Grand Theft Auto series, of course.

I can see those Yakuza-Shenmue similarities. But Yakuza handled the fighting-exploration flow infinite times better, Shenmue was just a free roaming Virtua Fighter and that shows.

Its like Panzer Dragoon Saga, you can give Panzer Dragoon Zwei RPG elements and you can make it more open, but in the end it will be Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

True Crime's fighting mechanics are absolutely god awful tho... they became half way decent in Sleeping Dogs (which was originally True Crime 3)

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It depresses me that so little of the mystery was solved within Shenmue III's story, AND we ain't getting Shenmue IV...

It is really quite disturbing for any fan of this series..

Last edited:
Anyone else catch the single throw away line that the whole kickstarter backer/Epic fiasco? Jim has eviscerated companies for pulling far less than that bait and switch bullshit. Mother fucker has no consistency on certain topics.

Spaceman292

Banned
No fucking way does this many people actually like Waterworld. I get that it's sometimes fun to be a hipster but there must be limits.

Shrap

He made a good point - Shenmue 3 hasn't evolved with the times and it's dedicated fans are cool with that, but because of this it will not expand its core audience and the fanbase it has is way too small to support more large scale games getting made. The game has completely flopped in sales and Suzuki has likely burnt bridges with all the companies that helped him bring Shenmue 3 to life (Deep Silver, Sony, Epic, Sega(?)) which leaves him in a tough spot. He can try for crowd funding again but will need to be far more modest in his budget requirements otherwise the series is dead for sure.
It depresses me that so little of the mystery was solved within Shenmue III's story, AND we ain't getting Shenmue IV...

It is really quite disturbing for any fan of this series..
I find it arrogant and self indulgent. The story development in 3 and even 2 was infuriating; everything was just a distraction from the main story and next to no real progress was made. It reminds me of those anime shows I watched when I was young like pokemon where the journey is indefinitely long and you realise most episodes are filler to keep it going for as long as it continues to get viewers.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
And he’s the Fat Bastard of gaming journalism... what a hack with his clickbait, no skill gaming bullshit.

images

how am I supposed to take this fat fuck seriously when he sounds like he’s goingto suffocate on his own fucking saliva.

shenmue is probably the closest experience he’s had to an actual social life

Last edited:

TheContact

i refuse to watch the video because i don't like him, but is he comparing it to waterworld where it will be a failure commercially but a cult classic game?

He is saying the game (series) cost so much to make and it under performed, it's nothing to do with the quality of either product. (Shenmue was the most expensive game at the time and so was Waterworld when it come out)

once again title warriors.. he's not saying Waterworld is shit in anyway what so ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom