• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimmy Kimmel calls out deceptive Republicans over Graham-Cassidy Obamacare repeal

FStubbs

I'm glad Jimmy did this. Health care is an incredibly important issue and it is not getting the attention it deserves. I've seen people slowly coming to the realization of what the Republicans are doing, and they are in disbelief that it could actually happen.

And yet they'll continue to vote for Republicans at every level of government because of racism.

andthebeatgoeson

giphy.gif

We just maintain our purity.

besada

Banned
That’s pretty hilarious, but simultaneously if we’re going to start banning people for being dismissive as a result of a failed purity test, there’s gonna be many casualties.

We often ban people for shit posting in threads with single word dismissive posts. The user in question was fully aware of this, given they'd had similar bans in the past.

Also, next time you'd like to comment on moderation, send a PM to a mod, rather than violating the ToS by discussing it in a thread.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Listened to that corpulent rage quitter Chris Christie yell (literally) "KIMMEL IS NOT A SERIOUS PERSON ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO HIM. I'M NOT LISTENING TO FALLON ON THIS."

Just fuck off Christie. Literally everyone hates you, you suck, you failed, you're Trump's bitch and you're lucky Greenpeace didn't try to push you back in the water during beachgate.

Draper

We often ban people for shit posting in threads with single word dismissive posts. The user in question was fully aware of this, given they'd had similar bans in the past.

Also, next time you'd like to comment on moderation, send a PM to a mod, rather than violating the ToS by discussing it in a thread.

That's fair.

I'll be honest, I'm kinda confused by this thread.

People are applauding the ban on the 'yawn' post...

...but then turning right around and giving the thumbs up to Jason Isaacs where he basically says exactly what that one poster was saying, albeit with a few more words -- Sean Spicer should not be celebrated or accepted by the mainstream in any fashion.

Why is one banned and the other quoted like he's a hero? Because one is seen as disregarding Kimmel's healthcare point or something? I mean was that even what that one post was really doing?

...but then turning right around and giving the thumbs up to Jason Isaacs where he basically says exactly what that one poster was saying, albeit with a few more words -- Sean Spicer should not be celebrated or accepted by the mainstream in any fashion.

Why is one banned and the other quoted like he's a hero? Because one is seen as disregarding Kimmel's healthcare point or something? I mean was that even what that one post was really doing?

Read the mod's post as to why.

Also purity tests are a path to fucking nothing getting done, if we whittle our side down to almost no one for it.

Listened to that corpulent rage quitter Chris Christie yell (literally) "KIMMEL IS NOT A SERIOUS PERSON ABOUT THIS SUBJECT. WHY SHOULD I LISTEN TO HIM. I'M NOT LISTENING TO FALLON ON THIS."

Just fuck off Christie. Literally everyone hates you, you suck, you failed, you're Trump's bitch and you're lucky Greenpeace didn't try to push you back in the water during beachgate.

By his logic, no one in politics should ever touch health care because they're not serious people about this subject. Time to keep this to doctors, nurses, health care workers etc.

Christie is an idiot lol.

reKon

Banned
I love when Republicans claim that people just don't understand or say that liberals are being stupid, yet they NEVER adequately explain what they're not understanding about certain issues.

jonezer4

It's almost as if Kimmel taking a selfie with Sean Spicer at some point in the past doesn't completely invalidate the myriad of excellent points he's making about healthcare today.

It's almost as if Kimmel taking a selfie with Sean Spicer at some point in the past doesn't completely invalidate the myriad of excellent points he's making about healthcare today.

Wasn't the 'yawn' post more about the hypocrisy of these talk shows in general lately -- like make Spicer seem like a lovable duffus and give him the national spotlight for ratings -- even take selfies with him! -- but then have these very serious monologues where you rip into things Spicer was basically tasked with defending.

I get that 'purity tests' are not cool, I just didn't think that's exactly what this was. Calling out bullshit doesn't invalidate the other good things someone does, but I guess that's not necessarily clear here or something. But I'll refrain from discussing it further, though.

"My first video got 11 million views"

"Call volume remained the same"

for fucks sake America, this is how we ended up with Trump. Republicans must be masturbating at such inactivity right now.

I think it's cause he's preaching to the choir. Those who don't agree with him are already not watching him. Sure, you may get some people here and there that didn't have strong feelings either way, but how many left wingers do you know that consistently consume Limbaugh or Hannity? Those who don't agree or like him already aren't watching.

Fuck Chris Christie and the fox people. Nothing makes me face palm harder than idiots dismissing actors, comedian, Hollywood personality opinions not realizing they voted for a fucking game show host for president. Fuck those people in particular.

Good on Kimmel. Keep fighting the good fight.

massoluk

Banned
Fuck Chris Christie and the fox people. Nothing makes me face palm harder than idiots dismissing actors, comedian, Hollywood personality opinions not realizing they voted for a fucking game show host for president. Fuck those people in particular.

Good on Kimmel. Keep fighting the good fight.
Yup, so said the network that seek Ted Nugent and one trick pony ex-SNL member's opinions on the latest political issues.

I love it when the Republicans act like it is unfair for funny or creative people to pick on them. There's nothing stopping Republicans from learning how to tell a joke or play a song. I mean, aside from being dead inside.

Each Bill gets worse and worse. If this bill passes it's the death of the Republican party.
No it won't. Their own constituency, even if it will hurt them, will still stick with them because every right wing news organization is a propaganda mouth piece that acts like democrats are the legion of doom.

weekev

Banned
So how many Gaffers in Republican states have called their senators to voice their opposition to this shit? Don't be worn down by these assholes who are trying to take money from poor people to protect insurance companies at the expense of the lives of you and your loved ones. Please do as Jimmy says and call your senators.

Cassidy trumpeting about how any healthcare reform needs to pass the Jimmy Kimmel Test only to turn around and personally write and attach his name to this garbage is one of the grosser things to happen in politics this year, and that's a pretty high fucking bar to clear at this point.

All it shows is that folks like Ted Cruz, Graham, McCain, Paul Ryan and so on that people hold up as "good", "smart" and "serious" are scummy con men. They'll lie to you in a heartbeat and couldn't care less about you. At the end of the day, Pres. Trump will sign any bill that repeals and replaces Ocare. So why can't Congress produce something that's better? A bill that puts the US on a path to paying the health care sector what it's actually worth as opposed to paying far more than what you should.

weekev

Banned
Wasn't the 'yawn' post more about the hypocrisy of these talk shows in general lately -- like make Spicer seem like a lovable duffus and give him the national spotlight for ratings -- even take selfies with him! -- but then have these very serious monologues where you rip into things Spicer was basically tasked with defending.

I get that 'purity tests' are not cool, I just didn't think that's exactly what this was. Calling out bullshit doesn't invalidate the other good things someone does, but I guess that's not necessarily clear here or something. But I'll refrain from discussing it further, though.
I don't think it is hypocrisy to have someone you don't agree with on your show. Having only people you agree with creates the echo chamber that Republicans create with things like Breitbart and Fox News. I don't know what the Sean Spicer interview was like but in my opinion what he should do is make these people defend their viewpoints using facts and probing questions so that they show their true colours.

Colbert brought Spicer onto the Emmy awards as a surprise and used him to poke at Trump.

It wasn't a great idea and it was fairly tone deaf. It was also one moment in 10 years of Colbert going in on Republicans and helping to educate young viewers on politics. Some people have decided to say, "Fuck Colbert," based on one decision they disagreed with, as if he went Bill Maher on everyone.

I generally agree with what Jason Isaacs said in his Instagram post but I also don't think it's that big of a deal in the long run. Certainly not enough for me to jump to "fuck Colbert." I don't expect perfection, I expect people to generally do the right thing and he does, 95% of the time.

The ease at which liberals can tell people who are on their side to "fuck off" because they do one thing disagreeable is really depressing and needs to change if we want to make legitimate pushes forward in 2018 and 2020. Look at their entire body of work, not singular moments.

For example, Kimmel having Spicer on just last week and taking a selfie doesn't make the impact of his multiple monologues on health care any less impactful.

The democrat purity tests are the same as republicans calling people RINOs. It's ridiculous and extremely unhelpful. Republicans always hand together, democrats seem completely willing to throw their own people under the bus for "purity" reasons.

Eidan

Seriously, senators are moved by calls from people in their states. If your live in one of those states of a Republican senator, you need to call them.

All it shows is that folks like Ted Cruz, Graham, McCain, Paul Ryan and so on that people hold up as "good", "smart" and "serious" are scummy con men. They'll lie to you in a heartbeat and couldn't care less about you. At the end of the day, Pres. Trump will sign any bill that repeals and replaces Ocare. So why can't Congress produce something that's better? A bill that puts the US on a path to paying the health care sector what it's actually worth as opposed to paying far more than what you should.

It's because the republican platform for the last 20 years has been telling people government doesn't work and then doing their best to break the government. You can't go from that to saying "The government should control or help with healthcare". It's the same reason why they'll never work with democrats. They've spent the last 20 years shitting all over the other side, acting like they are the enemy. You can't take that stance and then go work with the enemy. Especially not with a base that favors what they do. Compromise is surrender to them.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I called my Republican senator (Wisconsin) and his mailbox was full. Something tells me that people are calling now.

Top Bottom