• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jimquisition: Nintendo - A Shit Distributor And Fuckheaded Toymaker (Nov. 28, 2016)

It's so weird that Nintendo doesn't have a single clue how much anticipation there is for their products. But oh well, it's typical Nintendo. Can't say I'm surprised.

At best, they're utterly incompetent; however, I believe they're aware of what they're doing.

Bulzeeb

I dont live in the U.S so I rarely have access to LE and when they do send items I dont have that much of a problem getting them (unlike the U.S the NES mini is still in stock on some stores). So, I want to know if he touches the issue of scalpers?, I guess Nintendo wants to avoid LE staying in the shelves for more than a month or a week even, but it seems that is quite easy to camp in front of a store and buy all the stock to resell it later on ebay.

Looking forward to watching this tonight, NOA is a kind of fuckery that gets me curious since it's so absurd. Does Jim go into anything about NOA intentionally underestimating sales?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Inwas alays under the impression here mngaf that preordering is a no-no, but that is in relation to games
Consoles are a dfferent matter then?

Of course the consoles are a different matter. Any kind of new device these days gets pre-orders. Especially the ones that are untested market wise. Like Pixel phones. Like PSVR. Or Oculus. Or Vive. Or any type of console, really.

Current gaming culture demonizes pre-orders. I have a feeling they do not represent demand accurately any longer.

They do represent the situation accurately if the pre-orders are selling out though. That means that you largely underestimated the demand.

Memory

It's not a myth when there are practically no pre-orders, the exact thing that could help a company get a grip on the demand well in time to organise the process in the best way.

Which brings me to the point that the pre-orders for Switch will open at best roughly two months before release which gives very little time to balance things in case of estimated scarcity.

8 years in marketing & advertising (more studying) and I have never seen anyone actually do this in the way people claim Nintendo does.

If you was to actually do this tactic its easy enough to pretend you have 'low stock' or 'temporary sold out', you can strategically release product and maximize the effectness of such a campaign without losing many sales. This isn't what's happening with Nintendo as stock shortages drag on too long.

Everything I've seen in regards to Amiibo, CE/LEs and the NES mini doesn't point to an effective tease and release campaign. They point to low production likely due to low faith in product or short production runs in timed factories.

Nintendo are no way generating enough interest via low stock to make up for all the lost sales.

Either they have a really shit marketing team or they have a very cautious approval board, who only allows them to produce in limited quantities incase of product failure (poor sales). I believe its the later.

I'm not saying they are not shit with distribution, I'm saying they are not doing it on purpose to drive sales.

I do agree that it's very unlikely that they intentionally create manufactured scarcity, but as others have pointed out- a lot of these problems can be solved by opening up pre-orders very early to gauge actual demand.

It's likely a combination of very conservative manufacturing/shipping and ignorance of consumer demand, especially on social media. I think it's more an indication of how Nintendo is very conservatively run, where NCL might not understand or care what's been seen on social media in NA. But early pre-orders would solve a lot of these problems.

pretty much this. Nintendo is still a dinosaur company in many ways.

There has to something about that pog case.....has to be....

Somnid

Oh c'mon, if Nintendo knew this would sale well. They just had to look around social medias to see people were excited as hell for the thing.

Are there reliable social likes to sales ratios? Like do you look at Twitter and decide you're going to sell hundreds of thousands or millions? I feel a lot is predicated on "There's gotta be a tweet to sale ratio, these are smart companies" which in not so much analyzing but just kinda pulling stuff out of our rears to justify our pre-formed arguments. What does it mean to be a sure-fire hit in retro miniture consoles? 500K? 1 million? 5 million?

I mean, I preordered six days after the uk nintendo store opened them, and they were open for a while after that. I don't think they knew how big the uk demand would be based on the uk preorders for sure.

Kyzer

Banned
You guys act like it's so obvious what they should have done. They're incompetent for not knowing ahead of time that the product would be more successful? They released the freaking Wii U as the successor to the Wii. Hindsight is 20/20. You guys didn't know better than Nintendos logistics, you just know now. It's called confirmation bias

When you are at the 3rd and last place in the market, you become overly conservative and afraid of even the slightest possibility of overstocking. That's just nature, especially when you are a small little cautious company named Nintendo.
Which is why they should accept preorders to gauge interest so that you can at least satisfy the demand of those who wanted one in advance! It's not rocket science.

You guys act like it's so obvious what they should have done. They're incompetent for not knowing ahead of time that the product would be more successful? They released the freaking Wii U as the successor to the Wii. Hindsight is 20/20. You guys didn't know better than Nintendos logistics, you just know now. It's called confirmation bias

They're incompetent for not gauging interest with preorders.

MUnited83

For you.
Proven huh? Where's that proof you've seen? You understand that things selling out + product being successful does not = they did it on purpose, right?
If it isn't on purpose, then Nintendo is really, really shitty at business and have no idea how the market works. Which seems unlikely considering how long they've been doing this.
It's on purpose.

8 years in marketing & advertising (more studying) and I have never seen anyone actually do this in the way people claim Nintendo does.

If you was to actually do this tactic its easy enough to pretend you have 'low stock' or 'temporary sold out', you can strategically release product and maximize the effectness of such a campaign without losing many sales. This isn't what's happening with Nintendo as stock shortages drag on too long.

Everything I've seen in regards to Amiibo, CE/LEs and the NES mini doesn't point to an effective tease and release campaign. They point to low production likely due to low faith in product or short production runs in timed factories.

Nintendo are no way generating enough interest via low stock to make up for all the lost sales.

Either they have a really shit marketing team or they have a very cautious approval board, who only allows them to produce in limited quantities incase of product failure (poor sales). I believe its the later.

I'm not saying they are not shit with distribution, I'm saying they are not doing it on purpose to drive sales.

It's been said that NOA executives do it on purpose for personal gain within the company and to get higher bonuses, lately by Itagaki in an interview with Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/features/201...-and-future-of-tomonobu-itagakis-devils-third

they always underestimate the sales performance. This way, when they sell over the low estimated sales, they can claim a higher percentage over estimated sales and request a bigger bonus accordingly. There is a typical tendency for this to happen. That's a fact, and it's a flaw in U.S. sales strategy.

Not going to watch but people need to let go of the manufactured scarcity myth.

No one is doing this on purpose in 2016, there are a number of other complex factors that affect supply and demand. Failure to meet demand costs money and the 'free marketing' it gets is not worth loss of sales.

When a store (not ma and pa store, part of a franchize, Target) only gets stocked 5 OF THEM... (FUCKING FIVE! THINK ABOUT IT! FIVEEEEEEEEEE) something is shady

NewDust

Crazy idea, but maybe Nintendo based demand on VC numbers? I can see that giving skewed numbers due to price of the base hardware needed, availability and pricing of titles and quality of emulation.

jjasper

Proven huh? Where's that proof you've seen?

Proven in supply and demand? or proven from Nintendo? Cause the former is the basics supply and demand. Low supply creates high demand.

The later: Way too many to list. I mean shit they made Mario Kart Wii hard to find for like a month or 2.

andthebeatgoeson

When you are at the 3rd and last place in the market, you become overly conservative and afraid of even the slightest possibility of overstocking. That's just nature, especially when you are a small little cautious company named Nintendo.

Have the cleared Wii U stock yet?

Proven in supply and demand? or proven from Nintendo? Cause the former is the basics supply and demand. Low supply creates high demand.

The later: Way too many to list. I mean shit they made Mario Kart Wii hard to find for like a month or 2.
The followup to the Wii, one of the most popular consoles of all time, hasn't cleared 15 million consoles. It launched with 3rd party games, a mario game. Has some of the best games ever made. These basics of supply and demand don't seem basic.

While I will make no guesses as to the actual reason(s) that Nintendo has gained a penchant for understocking its cheap but popular goods, I do suspect they have a pretty big precedent which they can use to justify this practice to themselves and retailers, whether or not it strictly makes sense to do so.

The Wii U.

Nintendo lost money for the first time in decades in part because of the inability to sell the Wii U at a rate that offset the costs of the units they'd already paid for. It stands as proof for them that overstocking products can potentially hurt them financially, so if they have to make a decision on how much of a product - be it amiibo or the NES classic - to make, they can point to the Wii U and say that they should go with the low estimate, just to be safe.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The newest 3DS really illustrates this. If you're not perched on your F5 key at a certain time and beat a relatively small pool of people out in the initial minute, you're not going to ever have a chance at it? I refuse to dance like that.

Dude. They weren't even accepting preorders! And even when they do like with the Fire Emblem Fates LE they still fail to meet initial demand time and time again!

Nintendo continues to be a shit distributor. Especially NoA.

random25

Joke post? How much could B2 sell on a system that did not sell to the point retailer could as well offer free blowjobs to each customer? How are the two situations even slightly relevant?

While Wii U has a lackluster hardware sales, it still had some pretty successful software sales on a good number of games. Bayonetta 2 had far more internet awareness (and outrage) and media coverage than any other Wii U games that's not Mario or Smash games but it still bombed.

Tizoc

Of course the consoles are a different matter. Any kind of new device these days gets pre-orders. Especially the ones that are untested market wise. Like Pixel phones. Like PSVR. Or Oculus. Or Vive. Or any type of console, really.

They do represent the situation accurately if the pre-orders are selling out though. That means that you largely underestimated the demand.
Fair enough thx for clearing that up
I was unaware the new clAssic was so scarce in the us at least

Kyzer

Banned
If it isn't on purpose, then Nintendo is really, really shitty at business and have no idea how the market works. Which seems unlikely considering how long they've been doing this.
It's on purpose.

They're just weird and conservative, it should not be very confusing considering they do shit that baffles us all the time in favor of an extremely cautious approach

Lothars

And you know that now because they didn't meet demand. That's confirmation bias. They should have could have would have, easy to say now.
Nintendo has proven time and time again in the last 5 years to be incomptent with shipping products from Amiibo, special edition of games to the nes classic especially with the amount of interest in the Nes classic before it launched. It's not confirmation bias when they keep doing the same thing.

andthebeatgoeson

Didn't the pre-orders sold out though? Not immediately, but still. That should point out that that the demand is there.

But the common logic on Nintendo is that they don't meet demand and won't meet demand for a year. Wii sold better than any other console in history for 18 months and people claimed Nintendo was intentionally holding back. They meet demand at launch and people will just move the goal posts and still claim they are holding back.

I'm at the point that it could be true but the logical leaps people use make me skeptical.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I sincerly believe that what happened with Amiibos was a result of them being really cautious and going with bigger shipments of the "sure hits" characters: it was a brand new venture for them, there were some uncertainties about its actual sales potential, and we have NPD press releases stating how around 700,000 figures were shipped for the launch weeks, which is not a small number as a whole. But, of course, it was reached by shipping far bigger amounts for more famous characters, while treating smaller characters with extreme (now we can say excessive) caution. It surely took some time for them to solve the availability problem for the least shipped figures.

However, for NES Mini, the situation is a bit different: yes, we don't know how much they shipped yet. And the Japanese debut numbers (far higher than what I was expecting) tell me that it's possible Nintendo shipped big quantities as a whole for the launch (yes, I know you addressed this point in your video, Jim, but it still is valid to desire to see actual numbers to get a better idea of the situation), so that's something we don't exactly know yet. However, in the end, NoA's move (the NES Mini was available for pre-orders in both Europe and Japan) to NOT allow pre-orders for the NES Mini turned out to be something that made several customers anxious and furious when they couldn't get it in the launch rush, I fear much more than increasing the desire for the object, surfing the Holidays spending histeria. This goes more into the "manufactured scarcity" thing that Jim mentioned in his video, right because people couldn't pre-order it.

Nintendo has stated there will be more shipments in these weeks, hopefully things improve fast enough and like they should (like, finally reaching 10 units in stock at the Target store that Jim visited, at least XD ).

And you know that now because they didn't meet demand. That's confirmation bias. They should have could have would have, easy to say now.

No, it's the standard practice for new hardware releases. You gauge interest by taking preorders. You don't need hindsight to know this.

NewDust

But what would the reason be to not allow pre-orders? Being afraid not to be able to meet demand and pissing of people who pre-ordered too late? In the end the result is the same.

But that unit is "limited"

It would not be a "limited edition" if it was always available.

Yes, but it should not be limited within 2 minutes of it going up online, and 2 minutes of the store's opening.

I should not have to stay up until midnight on Wednesday to get this thing. And FUCK Amazon for putting them up early without any notice.

Inwas alays under the impression here mngaf that preordering is a no-no, but that is in relation to games
Consoles are a dfferent matter then?
Hardware preordering is an entirely different matter, yes.

In this day with digital downloads there's no problem of scarcity for games so preordering is stupid. But hardware is often needed and encouraged.

And Nintendo sucks at that too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Gauging interest with pre-orders is not some new technique just discovered. You don't "know that now". It was something known all along. People kept asking when they will start the pre-orders in NA. It's not hindsight, it's something that it's a standard in industry and they actively choose to not do.

Haven't watched the video yet, but does Mr. Sterling speak about the challenges of forecasting and global supply chains from personal experience working in those fields in some capacity?

Or is this a "Nintendo shouldn't have conservative policies" discussion from a consumer's point of view?

AkumaNiko

Yes, but it should not be limited within 2 minutes of it going up online, and 2 minutes of the store's opening.

I should not have to stay up until midnight on Wednesday to get this thing. And FUCK Amazon for putting them up early without any notice.

you can blame scalper bots for that. they are doing it to the NES classic whenever it went online at walmart and to those hatchimal things.

Kyzer

Banned
Nintendo has proven time and time again in the last 5 years to be incomptent with shipping products from Amiibo, special edition of games to the nes classic especially with the amount of interest in the Nes classic before it launched. It's not confirmation bias when they keep doing the same thing.

So you think it's just as simple as like sending an email like "Amiibos are actually doing well!, let's actually produce 5million instead of 500k!" and then the next week those Amiibos be in Stock?

I get what you guys are saying but it kind of really makes sense for a company like Nintendo who just failed miserably with the Wii U to be extremely conservative in their spending and projections. So Idk. Incompetence seems like a shortsighted conclusion to reach

LordRaptor

No, reduced supply moves the price-per-unit higher to those who most demand a product, based on price elasticity of demand.
It doesn't create demand.

If Nintendo aren't using flexible pricing - eg they're not selling via auction - they gain literally zero benefit from third parties charging a higher price than they do, and being unable to sell units at the fixed price they have chosen.

Haven't watched the video yet, but does Mr. Sterling speak about the challenges of forecasting and global supply chains from personal experience working in those fields in some capacity?

Or is this a "Nintendo shouldn't have conservative policies" discussion from a consumer's point of view?
I've not watched the video but common sense dictates that more than say, 3 3ds units is needed per store on Black Friday.

Aikidoka

How does everyone still not get this? Here, let me break it down for you.

Look at amiibo. First group of amiibo come out, Nintendo has it's initial shipment. It underestimates demand, and people get pissed. Bad.

So, Nintendo decides to try to fix the issue with Animal Crossing amiibo. .

What kind of logic is this? "Oh people really want a Mario Amiibo. Let's give them an abundance Animal Crossing amiibo instead!". What could possibly go wrong?

Kyzer

Banned
But what would the reason be to not allow pre-orders? Being afraid not to be able to meet demand and pissing of people who pre-ordered too late? In the end the result is the same.
I don't know I don't work for Nintendo, it's much easier to believe they had some sort of fiscal reasoning than believe they are wildly incompetent or don't even want to maximize their profits, you know? Maybe it had something to do with a prenegotiated manufacturing deal, maybe it had something to do with the way they approve things based on potential for profit, I have no idea.

andthebeatgoeson

Wait, Nintendo was supposed to manufacture a ton of consoles that is basically a limited emulator? That you can't upgrade or add games to?

Aren't there a ton of nostalgia fans that secretly wanted one of these things, let alone the people who want it for their kids?

Sephzilla

So you think it's just as simple as like sending an email like "Amiibos are actually doing well!, let's actually produce 5million instead of 500k!" and then the next week those Amiibos be in Stock?

I get what you guys are saying but it kind of really makes sense for a company like Nintendo who just failed miserably with the Wii U to be extremely conservative in their spending and projections. So Idk. Incompetence seems like a shortsighted conclusion to reach

When it came to stuff like Amiibos or the 3DS BF bundle, it's incompetence. When you put out so little product that your product sells out in seconds there's no way you can hide behind the veil of "we were being conservative". No, that's incompetent because you didn't even put forth any effort to gauge interest levels in your product.

That being said - I don't think the NES Classic or the Wii shortages are incompetence. I believe that's a very deliberate thing they're doing.

PSFan

SWITCH is gonna be sold out for months, calling it now, lol.

Really starting to feel that way. You don't get Wii-like buzz by shipping a ton of consoles at launch...

Yeah, I don't think so. It's hilarious how some people are comparing the launch of a nostalgia toy released in the holiday shopping season to a major new platform launch that will release way outside that shopping season in March.

The Black Friday N3DS can't be compared either because it's just a Limited Edition version of a product that's readily available in other versions. And it was also released for holiday shopping season.

No, confirmation bias dictates cognitive error in memory after the fact. There is no memory here, no pre order research was done. Its a fuck up through and through.

Nintendo marketing need to go back to business school and take product development courses. They may as well take operations management courses while at it because artificial scarcity no longer works in a connected market.

Top Bottom