• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job Interview Hints and Tips

jdforge

Banned
I have interviews this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. I haven’t interviewed in about 10 years. I took a year out and now I’m heading back into the forary of full time employment but I’m totally out of practice when it comes to interviewing.

What hints and tips have any of you picked up along the way if you’ve been interviewing? What works? What’s a big no no?

These are senior management positions.

Last edited:

Mochilador

I heard that asking for the position's budget helps with salary negotiation. You might get an idea of how much they are willing to pay.

Gander

Banned
Be prepared, it always shines that you did your research on the company and know what they are about.

Find the place early even if you get there an hour early go grab some lunch or breakfast and come back but you never want to have to look for the place or manage the parking situation last minute.

When they ask the Why should we hire you question, answer with training, work experience and life experience that has prepared you. Leave pay towards the end of the conversation. Ask about the company culture, growth, and giving back to the community.

Last edited:

Mohonky

Be early. Well dressed / groomed. Confident but not arrogant. Polite. Enthusiastic. Sell yourself / skills and how you can benefit the workplace or business.

highrider

Banned
Be early. Well dressed / groomed. Confident but not arrogant. Polite. Enthusiastic. Sell yourself / skills and how you can benefit the workplace or business.

Yep. And wear a nice watch. It sends a subliminal of reliability. Remember, you technically have nothing to lose lol.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
never discuss salary openly : get over the line first, the salary can come later with the exception if they -do- ask you for a salary, give them a range. Explain why you think you are worth that sort of money too but set the low end above your expectation, you can always negotiate down but always keep it reasonable.

the usual question will be "what do you expect from this role?" never go "oh about $28k a year!" - go with "opportunities to train and learn new disciplines, the ability to build a network etc"

Where do you expect to be in 5 years? "i want to have establish myself in the firm as a key resource - it's my belief that to truly understand the operation of a firm you must see it from as many angles as possible. etc etc"

Be honest on the "what is your biggest weakness?" - "i'm a perfectionist" is a grade A duff argument. Instead go with "well, i have previously had issues with <a> but i have since taken the following <b> actions to resolve this. As a result - i've noticed that my performance in this area has become vastly improved. However, it's something i am mindful of and i take time to ensure that i'm developing skills in this area"

with one interviewer - try to maintain a friendly eye contact.
with two+ - do the "shallow W" movement so as you are talking to people you are literally talking to everyone. Just be calm with the headmovement or you'll look crazy.

"Tell me about a time you failed" - obviously - if you burnt down the HQ of your last firm maybe not a great idea to tell them about that without a lawyer present, but you can be vaguely honest here. Again - the key is to ensure you learned something you didn't know before. Were the safety rules that were followed? did you feel you didn't push back enough? etc - just explain what happened, what you did, what you thought of that action, why you thought it went badly, how you would improve it... etc - key is to have taken something away from a failed project, no matter what it is.

Be aware what you are doing with your hands - don't keep them on your lap, don't wave them in the air like you just dont care. The cross fingered fold is a good look, and look attentive when the interviewers are speaking. The odd nod of the head in agreement helps when they are discussing items about the job or the role.

if asked about Hobbies : look - just don't mention vidya. I'm serious. I interviewed here in Japan with people i knew were into vidya but it's just best left alone. Go with one of your other hobbies. Whether we like it or not, there's a stigma - even in Japan. Go with Music/exercise etc.

Always have at least one question : what do you see as the major challenges for the firm in the next 5 years? What do you see as the contributions i can bring to the firm to help resolve those issues?

and the ultimate "i was reading on your website that you are looking into <thing> , can you explain a little more about this to me please? etc etc.
Infact - always read the corporate website of wherever company you are approaching - and check the news to see if they are involved in -anything- in the past few months. Certainly you should try to be familiar with the "Mission Statement" of the company at the very least. Because the first thing you will likely be asked "what do you know about us?" - if you can throw back their corporate profile to them then they know you have the initiative to go look before the meeting.

It's all good though - there's no real right or wrong way to do an interview (bit of a lie....) but the core thing is to be yourself. Relax. In the end you are selling your time to them, not them buying you. So you need to keep that in mind. Some Jobs just won't be for you - and you just have to say no. This isn't a one way street, it's a conversation. You have something they want, they have something you want. Treat it that way. I'm not saying "HAGGLE!!!" i'm just saying relax, a lot of candidates tend to be so worked up and that's not what an interview is.

And most of all - Good luck!

oh and in all cases have EXAMPLES. The usual follow up is "explain to me how you resolved this issue?"

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
As someone who interviews people constantly (this is the tech industry mind you, so maybe somewhate skewed):

- Be confident, and be clear. I appreciate people being themselves and having a more relaxed demeanor, but if I ask you a question...I don't want to hear a textbook answer. I want to hear something that shows me you truly understand what you're talking about given your experience, and not some general details that are related to what I asked. Your previous job responsibilities don't make you a good candidate...what you did within your previous job responsibilities makes you a good candidate. What made you better than the person next to you at your old job? What do you bring that others don't? Having a role that sounds good doesn't mean you were any good at it. Tell me what made you good, not what anyone else who had your role would have done.

- Don't takeover the interview by answering for hours, but don't answer in single sentences. Be as concise with information as you can, but don't shy away from specifics. If a specific question warrants a long response, give a long response...but if EVERY SINGLE ANSWER is long...or EVERY SINGLE ANSWER is short...than it just completely kills the interview. It shows that you either can't regulate what's important to share, or you don't have much to say.

- Have questions based on what you heard/learned from the interview or previous interviews. If someone just generically asks me "so what did you think about X product" it's a pretty pointless question to ask me. I'll happily share my perspective, but it doesn't help me learn anything about you, and it doesn't help you learn anything about the role.

- Know as much about the company/role as you can before you show up. You aren't expected to know everything about us before you show up...but at least be familiar with our major products.

- Know why you want to work for that company specifically, or at least specifically in that role. While I'm interviewing people I want to see that somehow this company or this job specifically matters to them. Why it excites them. Even if you're not asked about this directly, having your motivation clearly understood beforehand can help guide your answers.

Last edited:

greyshark

I would ask them what success looks like for the role they are hiring. It will give you a good idea of how much they have their act together regarding the new position and (hopefully) a better understanding of what they are looking for.

bigedole

So I currently work at a big high tech company and love my job. I got scouted through LinkedIn by an even bigger high tech company and decided what the hell, let's just see where it goes. I eventually travelled for an on-site interview, my first in over 6 years. I was confident I knew the ins and outs of my job super well, and I didn't stress out too much about what kind of technical questions they'd ask since if they asked stuff I just knew nothing about then clearly the position was not a good one for me based on my experience. Instead, I focused on 3 things: Be positive, never say anything negative about your current job/co-workers. Never react negatively to a question or an interviewer, always smile and go with the mindset that you'll do your best. If you stumble over something or aren't sure, try to frame it in a positive light. Next, Be Outgoing: Nobody wants to hire a debbie downer onto their technical team. I'm naturally a very cynical/negative person, so these first two points were really important for me to internalize. I smiled a lot, laughed when appropriate (especially at myself) and generally just tried to seem very down to earth, approachable and reasonable. Both of these points assume you have the knowledge portion down well, assuming the role is a good fit for you. The last thing I focused on was Be Confident and Assertive. It's a fine line to walk, you need to balance positivity and being outgoing with being assertive. It's better to say the wrong thing with confidence than the right thing with uncertainty. As long as you can be reasonable, no interview ever expects you to just know everything they're going to ask. They're really trying to see how you think and what kind of person you'd be to work with.

I got the job and accepted the position as it comes with an almost 50% increase in total pay and I'll be starting next month. It definitely helped that I was fortunate to not need the job, so it took a lot of pressure off the situation, but I really credit those 3 mantras I kept repeating to myself: Be Positive, Be Outgoing, Be Assertive in that order.

44Forever

If they offer you a coke do not accept it.

Very unprofessional to be sitting there slurping your coke during an interview.

That is all I have. Good luck!

Eye contact is a major point of strength. Humor has helped me a ton. Being too rigid I think can go either way. Being too relaxed the same. Be charismatic. Be well spoken. Take your time on answers. Don't talk too fast and stumble through a sentence or stutter. Be prepared to ask them questions. I always ask them about how they personally like the environment. I try and find a current event or some detail about the job and ask about it so they know I'm interested and engaged.

jdforge

Banned
So interviews all done. I’m quite positive that I’m going to have 2 offers on the table within a couple of days.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So interviews all done. I’m quite positive that I’m going to have 2 offers on the table within a couple of days.
You end up taking any of the advice in here to heart or did ya just wing it when you got there?

Just curious, not judging or taking offense regardless of the answer. Always just wonder if people asking for this kind of advice end up reading it and considering it or just glancing over it.

Hope you get the offers man, that confidence hopefully showed in the interviews!

Super Mario

Banned
Straight from a hiring manager:

- Your experience is your biggest asset. If you have experience in the field you are applying for and can articulate your proficiency, you will stand out. If you don't have the "right kind" of experience, highlight your abilities, skills, successes, etc.

- Answer the damn question they asked you. You'd be surprised.

- Rehearse. Go online and look up the most common questions asked. Have a bunch of well-thought out responses.

Dark Star

I work in supply chain department for oil and gas industry leader.

eye contact, good posture, firm handshake

don't be greedy, mention salary later

don't use overly-large vocabulary to appear intelligent, let your resume and experience speak for itself (likewise, keep your answers and questions clear and concise)

jdforge

Banned
Genuinely read every response in the thread and took as much of it onboard as I could. But I think I just allowed myself to be myself, I was honest, upfront and remained positive and respectful.

I spoke calmly and confidently and did not try to bullshit at all.

Cato

Banned
I have interviews this week, Tuesday and Wednesday. I haven’t interviewed in about 10 years. I took a year out and now I’m heading back into the forary of full time employment but I’m totally out of practice when it comes to interviewing.

What hints and tips have any of you picked up along the way if you’ve been interviewing? What works? What’s a big no no?

These are senior management positions.

If it is a technical interview, do not lie or make things up if you do not know the answer.
Assume that the interviewer knows the subject a whole lot better than you do and will spot made-up-bs a mile away.
Just say you are not familiar with the topic and move on.

No one wants to work with someone that makes shit up or have them on their team.

jdforge

Banned
Job offer was made today. Just a couple of things to sort out and I’ll be accepting.

Coming from a complete breakdown caused by extremely unethical and unlawful practices at my previous employer I honestly can’t believe this is happening. It’s been a long road.

If I learned one thing it’s this.

Keep the faith.

If that’s in God, your partner, your family or friends but most importantly in yourself. Never let anyone or anything doubt how fucking awesome and amazing you are.

Caayn

Congrats Op.
If it is a technical interview, do not lie or make things up if you do not know the answer.
Assume that the interviewer knows the subject a whole lot better than you do and will spot made-up-bs a mile away.
Just say you are not familiar with the topic and move on.

No one wants to work with someone that makes shit up or have them on their team.
I've found this to be one of the golden rules for an interview. Being humble and acknowledging that you don't know everything rather than making things up is often considered a plus.

Top Bottom