• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Job interview tomorrow . . . but I'M SICK!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyRocket

I have an interview tomorrow for a job at a new computer/gadget store that's opening up soon. I REALLY NEED A JOB, but I'm REALLY SICK. I haven't slept in days because I'm cannot breathe at all, but I was thinking . . . should I still go to the interview?

Maybe it shows like dedication, y'know? But it can also repulse my prespective employer. Or maybe I should call him and just tell him the truth. Like can you reschedule interviews? I'm not even sure about this, it's my first actual job.

Please help, I seriously don't know what to do. :(

SkyRocket

Just turned 20. Prior to this, I've been doing freelance web design. Figured it was about time for a REAL job since I really don't like web design. :lol

Dilbert

SkyRocket said:
I have an interview tomorrow for a job at a new computer/gadget store that's opening up soon. I REALLY NEED A JOB, but I'm REALLY SICK. I haven't slept in days because I'm cannot breathe at all, but I was thinking . . . should I still go to the interview?

Maybe it shows like dedication, y'know? But it can also repulse my prespective employer. Or maybe I should call him and just tell him the truth. Like can you reschedule interviews? I'm not even sure about this, it's my first actual job.

Please help, I seriously don't know what to do. :(
That's a tough situation. I haven't been through that myself, but here is what I would do:

Assuming you aren't going in there right at the start of the day, then I would wake up, shower, shave, get dressed, and otherwise prepare as if you were going in for the interview. As soon as they open or he is likely to get into the office, I would call and explain that you've been very sick, but realize that his time is valuable and let him know that you will still come in today for the interview if he would like. However, because you're not at your best and in the interest of courtesy -- no one wants to catch something! -- ask him if he would instead prefer to reschedule for another time. No matter what, you should reiterate your interest in the job.

On the other hand, if you can't talk directly to the guy (since part of the "sales pitch" will be sounding like shit on the phone) or if postponing an interview by a week might cost you the job since many people will be interviewing on the same day, then you need to suck it up, do your best, and try not to snot all over your future boss.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Man up, take a bunch of kleenex and make sure to act extra-sick for the sympathy factor. Then play it off like "it's no big deal, I didn't want to miss this opportunity" and apologize just ONCE for your sickness. Bam, extra points awarded.

Ferrio

Banned
I just went through the whole job looking process awhile ago.

Not sure what's the good answer. In one of the interviews I was sick, not to the point of being bedridden, but enough that I didn't really wanna interact with the world. I went anyways, and just told them upfront that I was ill. Whether that's the best thing or not... I don't know. (PS. I got the job, but turned them down. They offered me peanuts :( )

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Still go, they'll see it as a sign of dedication and that even if you're sick, you're still making an effort.

That, and they'll feel sorry for you.

d

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
-jinx- said:
Assuming you aren't going in there right at the start of the day, then I would wake up, shower, shave, get dressed, and otherwise prepare as if you were going in for the interview. As soon as they open or he is likely to get into the office, I would call and explain that you've been very sick, but realize that his time is valuable and let him know that you will still come in today for the interview if he would like. However, because you're not at your best and in the interest of courtesy -- no one wants to catch something! -- ask him if he would instead prefer to reschedule for another time. No matter what, you should reiterate your interest in the job.

Exactly my thoughts.

-jinx- said:
That's a tough situation. I haven't been through that myself, but here is what I would do:

On the other hand, if you can't talk directly to the guy (since part of the "sales pitch" will be sounding like shit on the phone) or if postponing an interview by a week might cost you the job since many people will be interviewing on the same day, then you need to suck it up, do your best, and try not to snot all over your future boss.

Do this.

SkyRocket

-jinx- said:

Great advice man. Thanks! :)

SkyRocket

Took the advice -jinx- gave me and called the guy . . . turns out he's an ass. Told him I was really interested in the position and that I'd be there at the interview, but warned him I was sick.

He got all pissed for some reason when I told him this, and said don't bother coming in. He also didn't want to reschedule.

In a way I'm glad I didn't get the job because he seems like he'd be a crap boss. Also, it's really cold here where I live, with a chance of snow, and I'm glad I didnt risk getting pneumonia for a minimum wage job with crap benefits.

bjork

See, I missed this thread. I would've told you to wear one of those SARS masks and go in anyway, and I bet he would've showered you with jewels and riches for your dedication.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Minimum wage job, we should have known this in the first post.

Aim higher!

Eitherway, good thing, better opportunities ahead!

Dilbert

SkyRocket said:
Took the advice -jinx- gave me and called the guy . . . turns out he's an ass. Told him I was really interested in the position and that I'd be there at the interview, but warned him I was sick.

He got all pissed for some reason when I told him this, and said don't bother coming in. He also didn't want to reschedule.

In a way I'm glad I didn't get the job because he seems like he'd be a crap boss. Also, it's really cold here where I live, with a chance of snow, and I'm glad I didnt risk getting pneumonia for a minimum wage job with crap benefits.
Ouch. I'm sorry that he cancelled the interview...but yeah, you might have dodged a bullet. Better luck on the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom