• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Staten helping on Scalebound, Crackdown, ReCore and Quantum Break

jbug617

Banned

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
He was the guy that had an awesome story for destiny and then left cause they butchered it?

Or am I spreading bs?

Monocle

I hope he's involved with Scalebound in a major way. He's a great writer, and writing is probably Platinum's weakest point.

I also hope he writes for Halo 6.

He was the guy that had an awesome story for destiny and then left cause they butchered it?

Or am I spreading bs?
Can't confirm or anything, but I think I read something along these lines.

I hope he's involved with Scalebound in a major way. He's a great writer, and writing is probably Platinum's weakest point.

God no. Props to Joe, but Kamiya's idiosyncratic way of story telling definitely should not be diluted or made to conform with someone else's narrative. Bad enough we're getting licensed music in Scalebound, already sounding like the most adulterated Kamiya game.

El Sloth

Banned
I can't imagine it was worse than what shipped. More generic Bungie, maybe.
People who saw bits and pieces of the old story say it was mostly a good thing it got scrapped. I remember the Penny Arcade guys saying the same in one of their posts.

Madness

Basically was the Creative Director/equivalent for Destiny and then left before release. Was creative director and writer on Halo 3 ODST and was one of the main writers for Bungie throughout Halo 2, Halo 3 alongside others. Also wrote the novel Halo:Contact Harvest and has another novella coming out. Glad to see he's helping out MS upcoming games with their stories in some fashion.

jacobeid

Banned
God no. Props to Joe, but Kamiya's idiosyncratic way of story telling definitely should not be diluted or made to conform with someone else's narrative. Bad enough we're getting licensed music in Scalebound, already sounding like the most adulterated Kamiya game.

It's also Kamiya's biggest game. He might want, or need, the help.

Peterpan

People who saw bits and pieces of the old story say it was mostly a good thing it got scrapped. I remember the Penny Arcade guys saying the same in one of their posts.
Links please, would love to read further into it, Google is failing me.

It's also Kamiya's biggest game. He might want, or need, the help.

True, I may be jumping the gun. Just a big Kamiya fan. I think Wonderful 101 is his best written game yet so I'm hoping for more improvement in Scalebound. Admittedly, Okami, his last "big" game, had serious pacing issues.

Flipyap

Crackdown 3 been in the oven for 4 years, and they still writing? No way it makes 2017
I don't think Crackdown 3 is going to be a particularly deep storytelling experience. All the "skills for kills" quips you need can easily be written at the last minute and the game could turn out A-OK.

Crackdown 3 been in the oven for 4 years, and they still writing? No way it makes 2017
FFXV has to be rewritten until a few months before release. I know it's not a good comparison but script modifications are still been made even late in the development. I hope it is some minor side content and not the core plot.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I have high hopes for Crackdown 3. Hopefully with all the time they've had they knock it out of the park.

blakep267

The only writing in Crackdown is the voiceover stuff for each crime boss tbh. There wasn't really any dialogue or anything

I don't see how it would have any bearing on the actual game development. It's basically just the Agent boss talking

Top Bottom