• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Cena speaks speaks on Nintendo and The Switch, gives praise

cordy

Banned
Cena talked about how he's an old-school NES gamer:

”I am a certainly a child of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES, as the gamer Hall of Famers attribute it," said Cena. ”That eight-bit graphical interface has truly stood the test of time, and now you see so many vintage designs and content available in eight-bit. I grew up with the start of the original eight games licensed from Nintendo—Donkey Kong, Mario Bros., which was before Super Mario Bros., then Super Mario Bros., Ice Climber, Urban Champion, Gyromite with the robot. You name it, I had it. I grew up through all that."

”I love Super Tecmo Bowl, that was definitely my favorite game," said Cena. ”I loved Baseball Stars, which is a title by a now obsolete company called SNK. That was my wheelhouse. The thing that attracted me most was you could go as far into the games as you wanted. You could sit down and read the instructions, and this is how geeky I get, you could subscribe to Nintendo Power, which was before the internet cheat sheet. Famous games, like Punch Out, even without the code, Contra, the Metal Gears of the world, even Kung Fu, one of the original eight-bit titles, you'd get to a certain level but you couldn't get past it without buckling down and putting some hours into the game. That's what I find has been recreated with the Switch."
And what he thinks of the Switch:

”I'm floored by the technology of the Switch, and the versatility of the console is second to none," said Cena. ”It really is a home console that you can take anywhere. I've seen situations where home consoles can be transported, and it's like a big over-the-shoulder carry-on bag, but the versatility of this thing is groundbreaking. When you undock the Switch from its home console and go into handheld, the controller feels the same, it is the same, and it reacts the same. The screen on the undocked handheld system is big enough to be its own world, but small enough to carry anywhere."

”I was in this confined living room space where you got lost in the game ‘cause I'm playing on this 60-inch TV, and then you undock and continue to play the game," said Cena. ”They had this molecular glass, which dropped and revealed I was in the middle of the desert. I never once knew the change in environment. It's truly, truly tremendous. In typical Nintendo fashion, I was playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Now I haven't played Legend of Zelda since the gold cartridge eight-bit versions, so I just needed to pick up and start going, and I did. The go-anywhere aspect of the game is incredible, and I know for fans of the Zelda franchise, they're going to flip. I know for fans of Nintendo, they're going to go crazy. Everyone is speculating about how good the game actually is—it's going to exceed expectations and, for a dude like me, a 40-year-old [in April] who hasn't played Zelda since the gold cartridge, I sat down and was hooked. In a matter of 30-minutes, I didn't want to put it down."
http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/02/27/john-cena-aj-styles-rock-nintendo

Big Match John doing what he does best.

sanstesy

john-cena-wwe-superstar-hosts-nintendo-switch-in-unexpected-places-picture-id644584858

shandy706

Cena is the person and meme I don't get...because I know nothing about him or wrestling..

...heh

Someone explain the "can't be seen" stuff I see.....is it just a play on his name?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Cena is the person and meme I don't get...because I know nothing about him or wrestling..

...heh

Someone explain the "can't be seen" stuff I see.....is it just a play on his name?

His slogan is "You can't see me"

Hasney

...heh

He just says you can't see me a lot and saves his hand in front of his face.

cordy

Banned

...heh

"You can't see me" is a phrase that means "you can't fuck with me" or "you can't touch me" (which goes back to a line in his theme song that says "I'm untouchable but I'm forcing you to feel me").

It basically means you can't fuck with him in what he does.

Gestault

He's literally a paid promoter for the platform, isn't he?

Much respect in general for Cena, but the context makes this feel empty. His specifics on his experience with the NES era is rad, though.

In general I am always impressed with John Cena and his communication skills. At the very least he put in the time and effort to be able to be an effective spokesperson beyond the stunt or gimmick that he was taking part in.

I was going to be like "paid spokesperson says nice things" but now I want to know what his GAF username is. Cena seems to know his 8-bit games.

Still, paid endorsement.

The Big N

Banned

...heh

I'm right there with. Haven't watched wrestling since Hulk Hogan, Sting, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and the Rock were in their prime. With that being said, I know my Cena memes thanks to the internet.

Koyuga

I haven't watched any pro wrestling since I was like 14 but I love John Cena. He's really sweet, and I guess a huge nerd apparently.

foltzie1

If anyone is curious John Cena is referencing the GAEMS carrying case when he referenced the gaming things other wrestlers carry around.

It's rather bulky, but when you're on the road the way the WWE guys (or other athletes are) its probably a worthy trade off.

I'm curious to see what kind of legs the Switch has with that audience.

Hasney

If anyone is curious John Cena is referencing the GAEMS carrying case when he referenced the gaming things other wrestlers carry around.

It's rather bulky, but when you're on the road the way the WWE guys (or other athletes are) its probably a worthy trade off.

I'm curious to see what kind of legs the Switch has with that audience.

AJ Styles had his 360 with a travel screen and all that stolen, so he might be in the market for one.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I will always respect cena when I learned he put in the time and effort to learn mandarin

HvySky

Ah yes, a fellow child of the original Nintendo Entertainment System, or NES, as the gamer Hall of Famers attribute it.

Top Bottom