• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John DiMaggio goes off at the Gears 5 panel when a audience member asks what Kait's sexual preference is

SonGoku

I don't know if it was a troll question or not but the question itself seemed pretty innocuous, the dude just asked if the main character has a love interest in the game
Many devs make a big deal out of this cough*ND*cough cough*Blizzard*cough

Speaker came across as an obnoxious, the jacking off part was funny though, I'd give him that. In all fairness Coalition just wants to distance itself from the baggage/drama in today's climate. If she's straight the libs will go nuts on ree/twitter if she's is lesbo they'll go broke.

edit: at the 15sec mark what did he say? i can't tell
"maybe she is a twitch hater"?

Last edited:
My favorite part of this is the guy who asked the question laughing along with the answer. And it seemed to be genuine laughter, not a nervous response.

CuNi

At least some dev with a sense of humor left, even though he maybe got into the joke too much. People really need to stop asking these kind of questions.
It's not a Bioware game where you may be able to romance a character so the question is just there for personal taste or fanfictions. I mean isn't it even better when such questions stay unanswered? Both sides can imagine the character having their preferred orientation and everyone gets to be happy.

Dacon

Banned
That was super cringy tbh. John looked like a fool. While I'm in the camp that a character's orientation isn't really important, but maybe that guy was just a fan of Kait and wanted to know more about her?

IDK that just rubbed me the wrong way, the response was totally disproportionate to the question.

Quality response

The funny thing about that exchange is depending on your perspective, both the question and the answer could have come from a "pro-SJW" or "anti-SJW" stance.

Paraphrased, of course.

Pro: Can you tell us about the sexual orientation of the character, because diversity is important.
Pro: It doesn't matter who she wants to have sex with. She's not here for your male fantasy even if she is straight. She's a solider.

Anti: Are you guys going to make this character gay or bisexual? Because I'll consider that pandering if you do.
Anti: Who cares if a character is gay or not? What matters is if they're well-written, not keeping score on some diversity checklist.

Pro: Can you tell us about the sexual orientation of the character, because diversity is important.
Anti: Who cares if a character is gay or not? What matters is if they're well-written, not keeping score on some diversity checklist.

Anti: Are you guys going to make this character gay or bisexual? Because I'll consider that pandering if you do.
Pro: It doesn't matter who she wants to have sex with. She's not here for your male fantasy even if she is straight. She's a solider.

Either side of this conversation could have come from either perspective. Neither person went into the detail of WHY they were asking that question, or WHY they thought that was a bad question. Sure DiMaggio did make that hand gesture, but he also said "who gives a fuck," and I think a LOT of rather vocal game journalists give a fuck.

That whole clip seemed like a Rorschach test to me.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
At least some dev with a sense of humor left, even though he maybe got into the joke too much. People really need to stop asking these kind of questions.
It's not a Bioware game where you may be able to romance a character so the question is just there for personal taste or fanfictions. I mean isn't it even better when such questions stay unanswered? Both sides can imagine the character having their preferred orientation and everyone gets to be happy.
Well that's the voice of Marcus Fenix, he dun give a shit.

Virex

Banned
Just a question to OP. Can you show me where he "went off" on the person asking the question. He was just being straight forward to bullshit with his answer. So please give me a time exactly on the video where he "went off". I'd really like to see that part because I can't find it.

The only people who will attack him are the bellends that he is addressing. And why would he be humiliated? He's only saying what most normal minded people are thinking.

I should have clarified who I'm referring to. I'm referring to the guy who asked the question because the dude on stage eviscerated him.

Shmunter

The question had to be asked, because it’s all about identity these days. Have to pigeon hole everyone. And some pigeon holes score more points than others in the War of the Woke.

Riven326

Banned
I remember people asking the same question about Lara Croft when they rebooted it. The writer wanted to make her lesbian, because of course. The devs basically ignored her sexuality throughout the entire trilogy.

Daylife

Banned
That was super cringy tbh. John looked like a fool. While I'm in the camp that a character's orientation isn't really important, but maybe that guy was just a fan of Kait and wanted to know more about her?

IDK that just rubbed me the wrong way, the response was totally disproportionate to the question.
Both the question and the answer were fucking retarded. End of story.

Top Bottom