• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Drake leaves (was laid off from?) Harmonix, looking for new work

Sucks for Drake and on a lesser note, sucks for the kickstarter backers who ponied up the big tier money to party with the hmx crew or visit the office. I'm sure the expectation of hangtime with Drake was part of the appeal for those tiers.

Zero315

Banned
Man, that sucks, he always had the best travel stories. Best of luck to him. I have no doubt he'll land somewhere good, he's probably the best PR guy in the industry.

Does he have a GB chat emote? If so, he must be GB's new hire.

You thought the new hire was Dan, but it was me, Drake!

Pyccko

Aw shit, I love John Drake. Probably the coolest PR guy in the business. Time to go chug a diet coke and listen to a Main Drag CD in tribute.

Well, I hope someone snatches him up quick. He'd be nothing but an asset to whoever hires him.

border

Well that sucks -- he's become one of my favorite personalities on Giant Bomb.

Was he just PR for Harmonix or did he have a role in development? This leaves me a little worried about Amplitude.

sub_o

Well I do that right now, but it'd be nice to see Drake more often for sure.

Tell me if you ever need a Software Developer in Computer Vision in Germany. I'm still waiting for my prospective employer to decide whether to hire me.

Skab

Layoffs suck, man.

A friend in the business they pass judgement on. Regardless, I get that he is their friend but but his name comes up a whole lot on the podcast. They're in love with him.

No more than any of their other friends. In fact I would say less.

Zomba13

dude harmonix must be in dire straits. doesnt seem like very long ago when rock band was huge.

I believe a new Rock Band for current gen could work. I say this as someone who has no idea on the costs of licensing songs or the production of plastic instruments and as someone who really, really wants more Rock Band.

Spaghetti

if he got laid off the person who did it is really a gigantic moron, john drake was the forward-facing public image of harmonix. dude was prolific in promoting the company.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
This is weird. That's like Harmonix leaving Harmonix. The dude is Harmonix.
I have nothing but the utmost respect for him since they did they Ryan Davis Livestream.

JimmyBoy

He has a fantastic resume. He's like the frontman for your company. I expect his inbox to be overloaded with offers.

Layoffs suck though, regardless.

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Sucks for Drake and on a lesser note, sucks for the kickstarter backers who ponied up the big tier money to party with the hmx crew or visit the office. I'm sure the expectation of hangtime with Drake was part of the appeal for those tiers.

If anyone who donated at this tier wants to party with Drake, they'll get to party with Drake, his schedule permitting. And knowing him, if he's doing something on the moon that morning, he'll come down to Earth to party in the afternoon. Because he's a boss.

Mikey Jr.

That sucks. He busted his balls turning around that Amplitude kickstater which is the only good thing the company has right now.

Harmonix is really not in a good place.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Btw, how the shit do you layoff John Drake? No disrespect to anyone else, but there must be people you can layoff before him, no?

hamchan

That's crazy if he was laid off. He really was the face of Harmonix to me. One of the best PR men I've ever seen.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Harmonix seems to be in an weird spot lately, since they put their music game bets on Kinect and that just got completely marginalized by Microsoft. They had an utterly brilliant concept with GH and RB, I'd hate to think that they just keep churning out the dance games and don't break out of that mode.

yatesl

He was the sole reason I backed Amplitude.

Screw this industry. First Vinny going east, then Gametrailers being stripped, now this.

Why can't things stay the same

Deadstar

He was the sole reason I backed Amplitude.

Screw this industry. First Vinny going east, then Gametrailers being stripped, now this.

Why can't things stay the same

Imagine a world where Garnett Lee, John Drake and the gametrailers crew start a new thing.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Top Bottom