• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John from DF: No raytracing on XSX at launch (Update: “Oh, maybe it will then...”)

I haven't seen a company show so little care for their hardcore fans (who defend them till death if need be and promote the brand). At this point it's an abusive relationship.

There are really no words to describe this. I've described MS with all civil words possible in the English vocabulary.

Last edited:

theHFIC

cFR8qNc.jpg

-Arcadia-

Banned
Between this and the late showing for software actually on it, I completely believe the development environment is currently having some issues.

That said, I wouldn’t make too much out of it. I’d expect Microsoft to make short work of fixing all of this, and it does resemble typical launch console struggles.

Still, every bit counts. If the same games on PS5 have a little bit more flash to them because of ray tracing, that’s an unnecessary victory for Microsoft to concede.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yikes, what about Watch Dogs Legion? I thought that was going to have ray tracing?
this and cod were the two next gen games with ray tracing. we will see at launch what happens.

All we know for sure is that DMCV wont have RT on the xsx so far. John probably knows more than we do and is likely referring to CoD and Watch Dogs.

Papacheeks

Banned
Power your dreams............

Power your old Games...........

Waiting for this to become a meme at some point.

Is getting really weird. I like BC, but 99% of the time they speak about that.

It's telling that, they know they have to hammer that home because nothing is ready.

No halo,

No ray tracing,

No new first party games

Your buying a $500 gamepass machine to play old games and inferior "looking" third party.

Also is the reason they are talking so much about that auto-HDR and high frames. The system will play the games at much higher frames because it wont have RT on.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
To say the dev tools are to blame I assume he means the Devkits. I seem to remember something about XSX's RTX to be a bit more advanced than PS5's. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. Balancing better RTX for XSX on minimally more powerful hardware. I would think it would just work, but what do I know.

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Microsoft knew this shoe was going to fall. That's why they've been so proactive about looking pro consumer and they go out and do a big flashy acquisition. They don't want the narrative to be focused on the fact that they have no first party games at launch and now no ray tracing. Also most of their studios aren't releasing anything for years. That Hellblade 2 trailer could potentially become one of the biggest moments of dishonesty from a gaming company if it doesn't deliver.

Papacheeks

Banned
Is getting really weird. I like BC, but 99% of the time they speak about that.
To say the dev tools are to blame I assume he means the Devkits. I seem to remember something about XSX's RTX to be a bit more advanced than PS5's. I wonder if that could be part of the problem. Balancing better RTX for XSX on minimally more powerful hardware. I would think it would just work, but what do I know.

I've heard their behind, and it has more to do with the re-write going on for Direct X-12 ultimate this past year.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's not more advanced, there's just 17% more RT performance to use (scales with the overall GPU power).

JimiNutz

Banned
343 really fucked them. Halo Infinite was supposed to be like Halo CE - the reason that you had to buy the new Xbox day one. Must have software that showed off the power of your new console and got people talking (for the right reasons).

I'm surprised that they didn't try to have Forza ready for launch as well - that would have no doubt been a nice graphical showcase for the console.

It's a shame because MS seem to be doing everything right.... Other than software.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
I mean....they havent shown any next gen games people or next gen first party games...they have been relying on back compat to show their new console aka old games. Why are we surprised here?

Three

That Bethesda purchase is looking more and more like a huge bandaid on a very troubled launch. Funny thing is it will only staunch the blood loss two years in. MS has squandered yet another gen.
You think that's true? it will help launch sales because a lot of xbox fans have been living on hopes and dreams of future things to come for the entire gen. This industry is driven by hype not products it seems.

Knightime_X

FFS it's just delayed
People acting like it isn't going to ever happen.
>_>
<_<

These people and their flailing titties are clearly out of control.

Top Bottom