• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John from DF: No raytracing on XSX at launch (Update: “Oh, maybe it will then...”)

7Cxeizn.jpg

He then follows up by saying ms doesn't have much ready for launch.

0B5ttaQ.jpg

It is a bit weird after all that talk about RT and RDNA2 there will be no actual game releases to show for it.

Hope it gets patched in later.

Update:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mister Wolf

Doesn't Watch Dogs Legion have raytraced reflections or is that a PC exclusive feature. This article is reporting that ubisoft confirmed raytracing for the Series X. Last time i checked Watch Dogs is a launch title.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Look it's disappointing and I feel bad for Xbox Owners, and I am pretty sure MS will get this all sorted out and Xbox will have the best versions of games for the rest of the generation, but this is karma at its finest.

After all the nonsense about the PS5 having software RT than shadows only RT being spread by xbox fans, this should be a cautionary tale to every wanna be fanboy on this forum... Sony, Nintendo, PC, that Stadia fanboy Voost Kain..... Dont be that guy because Life is a motherfucker.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not even sure how many games are expected to have it period? Like...is there any multiplat games where it will have raytracing on PS5 but not XSX? For example...Cyberpunk?

I guess my point is it would seem that since the Xbox SX isn't coming out with any 1st party games at launch and Sony is...wouldn't this sort of explain things to some extent?

The games I know of with Raytracing on PS5, is Demon's Souls (I consider Blue Point 2nd party), Spiderman and MM and Ratchet n Clank (?) right? Obviously none of those are on XSX...so what I'm saying is that this may be more of an issue with 3rd party devs than with Microsoft Devs. Microsoft Devs have another entire issue going on where they simply don't have games ready yet.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Now all of these people suddenly care about raytracing when weeks ago they said it was pointless and stupid, lmao.

Shame that they're behind, but I wouldn't be surprised with all the covid stuff this year. But hey, at least it's still coming. A console launch is a big deal, it's impressive both Sony and Microsoft were able to still move forward on it with everything.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Look it's disappointing and I feel bad for Xbox Owners, and I am pretty sure MS will get this all sorted out and Xbox will have the best versions of games for the rest of the generation, but this is karma at its finest.

After all the nonsense about the PS5 having software RT than shadows only RT being spread by xbox fans, this should be a cautionary tale to every wanna be fanboy on this forum... Sony, Nintendo, PC, that Stadia fanboy Voost Kain..... Dont be that guy because Life is a motherfucker.

When the XSX was first unveiled, when DF first wrote about it, they spent a lot of time talking about RT (muh 25 teraflops if you recall).

But since Craig Infinite we've seen nothing about new games, everything about BC, and now no RT on launch? Again I remain really flummoxed by what MS is doing here and why anyone is buying this thing right now. Say what you will about Sony, and I've made fun of the ugly and huge PS5 many times... they're delivering new games that use new features on the console.

I'm not even sure how many games are expected to have it period? Like...is there any multiplat games where it will have raytracing on PS5 but not XSX? For example...Cyberpunk?

I guess my point is it would seem that since the Xbox SX isn't coming out with any 1st party games at launch and Sony is...wouldn't this sort of explain things to some extent?

The games I know of with Raytracing on PS5, is Demon's Souls, Spiderman and MM and Ratchet n Clank (?) right?
Yea dmc5 , watch dog legion and call of duty cold War are confirmed to have it at launch on ps5 for multiplatform games

GreyHand23

Now it makes sense why Halo Infinite was going to have raytracing added later in a patch. It really looks like the software and hardware aren't quite ready for XSX. That's given the developers much less time to actually get ray tracing into those versions at launch. Might be why there is a commitment for some games to have raytracing added in a patch in early December.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When the XSX was first unveiled, when DF first wrote about it, they spent a lot of time talking about RT (muh 25 teraflops if you recall).

But since Craig Infinite we've seen nothing about new games, everything about BC, and now no RT on launch? Again I remain really flummoxed by what MS is doing here and why anyone is buying this thing right now. Say what you will about Sony, and I've made fun of the ugly and huge PS5 many times... they're delivering new games that use new features on the console.
Yeah, I do recall the 25 tflops figure and to be fair, they did have path traced Minecraft running on the xsx back in March.

I think whats happened here is the same thing that happened last gen. CBOAT famously called all the issues Xbox one was having and we saw a bunch of 720p games at launch. it took them almost a year to get those issues sorted out and AC unity had parity with the ps4 and ran at 900p like the rest of the gen. I suspect the way MS builds their tools is flawed. BF4, CoD, Watch Dogs and Titanfall were all 720p iirc.

Papacheeks

Banned
Sounds like Rumors were true then, and one of the reasons on top of bad management halo had issues build wise.

Sounds like they were juggling Direct X 12 ultimate development along with implementing it into the console.

All of sony's first party was showing some form of ray tracing. Shows how far along they were tools wise.

anaphase

Ohh this is bad. The good will they've built up can probably float them for a while, while they get this shit sorted.

Not a good look at all.

Edit: no concern trolling here. I have 2 on preorder. I know it'll come but to not launch with it after all the RT boasting... C'mon

Last edited:
Top Bottom