• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John from DF: No raytracing on XSX at launch (Update: “Oh, maybe it will then...”)

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm just sayin'. Halo was gonna launch without it too, you may recall.
Yes, sadly, I do. It does lend some credence to it being a problem that spans both Microsoft and 3rd party devs. I'm not quite convinced yet that this is the full story. Besides, we both know Halo has way more problems than just raytracing. That's why I've been saying, just wait for release. A lot can change in a month.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Also wouldn’t this be a developers issue not Microsoft’s lol.

It depends, MS provides the SDK and if it doesn't have the functionality for ray tracing, then there's not much developers can do.

BTW, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just the forum in general has been insufferable for months, mostly due to FUD coming from Xbox fans imo, so it's interesting to see.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I dont trust DF or anything they say.
Shill who chat nothing but FUD, id rather here what Cherno has to say about this than these crooks.
Obviously they have been paid off and will say anything that shines a good light Microso.................ohh.

On Topic.
Isnt WatchDogs a launch title? I coulda sworn WD:L was a launch title.
I think he is talking about first party titles specifically.....of which MS has err none so makes sense that of those none none of them have Raytracing.
But titles for the console as a whole WatchDogs has RT.
dHBSXeY.jpg

Hardware on point but nothing that says buy me now!
This is actually the first generation where no title is begging me to buy it at launch.
Im legit most looking forward to enjoying previous gen games at 4K60HDR more than any one title from either company.
Im not a Demon Souls fan, and Spiderman doesnt sell me the console, The Series X literally has no exclusives and everything else doesnt look anywhere near as attractive as to make me want to shell out for a console.

Thank god Nvidia didnt do a price hike on their GPUs gen on gen.
AMD where you at, show me dem shits! Bring dat heat at an even lower pricepoint.

October 29th. USA.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Isnt WatchDogs a launch title? I coulda sworn WD:L was a launch title.
Game is released on Oct. 29th. The Series X version is available via Smart Delivery on Day One of the console launch.

Last edited:

FritzJ92

Talking to Wired, Spencer said “I think 8K is aspirational technology. The display capabilities of devices are not really there yet. I think we’re years away from 8K being—if it ever is—standard in video games.”

Series X chip:
scarlett_soc.jpg

Have not seen PlayStation push this 8K narrative like Xbox.

Why would you hype 8K that is years off from being console standard technology.

Xbox is all over the place.

Thats not what the final chip looks like, I'm pretty sure MS is working on another chip personally...
YhDn4jU.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody really cares about Ray tracing. Let's be honest. It's just something gamers are latching to this gen because there ain't much else.

It's good for a " let's look into a puddle" or a glass window moment.

No we need to focus on performance. And new interesting game styles, better AI etc.

I hate that this is the direction games are going in.

I mean did ye guys check out Alex from Digital Foundry's latest 40 minute video on Ray Tracing? 40 minutes of looking into puddles.et for

I just... Don't get the excitement on Ray Tracing.

I don't get the excitement for RT in its current state either. Even more so than native 4K, it strikes me as a waste of your performance budget. That said, it's funny to see how the tables have turned, PS5 seems to be diving head first with RT and Series X might just have one game at launch with any sign of it.

Maybe, each console has a different implementation of it. Unlikely, but you never know.

It depends, MS provides the SDK and if it doesn't have the functionality for ray tracing, then there's not much developers can do.

BTW, I wasn't talking about you specifically, just the forum in general has been insufferable for months, mostly due to FUD coming from Xbox fans imo, so it's interesting to see.
Yea that actually makes sense.

Hahaha yea fair enough I find most of these threads to be pretty insufferable at times. I’ve learned that one must be the troll or sit back and watch the trolls for for the crack pipe. But I’m never a troll who shares false information.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

This is all I could find on DMC 5's supposed Ray tracing debacle, but it says it won't be available on PC, but will come to both PS5 and XSX. I've seen multiple people claim it won't have Raytracing for XSX at launch as well.

I'm not saying this isn't true, I just can't find an article on it.

I just want the truth. Too many fanboys claiming things without links.

Last edited:

Rukfarimus

Neo Member
How can you fuck up to have no first party launch games and then the biggest new gimmick isn't working. I have no clue how they could manage this...
The fact that they were the first to show their consoles you'd think they have all their shit ready but alas

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Narrator: it's one game.

One game with the shittiest raytraced reflections I've ever seen. So bad in fact using screen space reflections instead is an actual improvement. If you can't even do raytraced reflections on the level of what was done in Battlefield then don't even do them. That goes for any of these games doing RT reflections. If people haven't figured out by now using it for reflections is low hanging fruit.

Last edited:

Concern

I really can't keep up with this shit lol. "It does, it doesn't, it does". "Plenty games need a patch". "Its one game". 😂

Two df threads ago, they were in the sony teams good graces, then last df thread were shills and on Microsofts payroll, and now we're here where their word gospel again cuz its negative Xbox lol.

Someone has the best avatar to describe most the people warring. It reads something like "we don't love our console, we just hate yours" lol.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
MS haven't shown a game running on xsex let alone RT.
We already have threads on Yakuza 7/Dirt 5 XSX gameplay and more will come soon. As for RT

DMCVSE is the only know game to have RT on PS5 but not on XSX at launch. But these have been confirmed to have RT at launch
  • Man Eater
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Observer: System Redux
  • Watch Dogs: Legions
  • CoD: Black Ops Cold War

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Did you miss the Dirt 5 vids yesterday?. And Phil wasnt talking about XSX RT when he said the 'spotty' remark.
I read it as there just aren't a lot of games that have supported raytracing since the 20 series Nvidia GPUs came out. This is not downplaying. This is stated fact.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
Lots of games are going to have post launch patches it seems. Real mess of a launch but both Xbox and PlayStation seem to be making the most of the hands they've been dealt.

I wouldn't consider this new "news" though. We've know the launch line ups for these consoles for a few weeks now. Who was under the impression that there would be a ton of games with RT at launch?

I wasn't expecting much after they showed Halo and said RT post launch. The RT show in Minecraft back in March had nice visuals at the expense of performance.The RT in Spidey isn't exactly earth shattering either.

It is going to be a minute before we really see what these consoles can do with RT. Even then I don't expect this to be the huge paradigm shift that the fanboys and marketing departments are making it out to be. 4K-60FPS-RT you aren't going to see all three on the big "meaningful" and ambitious AAA releases. We're going to see a lot of RT applied in a limited capacity but fanboys talking these console capabilities up beyond what ultra powerful PCs are doing are going to be disappointed. Consoles are a commodity. We're going to have a lot of great games to play but best to leave the Holodeck fantasies behind.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
False Alarm people.
dHBSXeY.jpg

But it was fun to see who was who while the thread lasted.

The updated WatchDogs: Legion page still has Raytracing, so I think its safe to assume its going to have it for now.

Im actually pretty sure WatchDogs: Legion is everyones most anticipated title.....its the first title where we will get a chance to benchmark these machines against each other and against PCs.

Let the War begin then and only then.
The Teraflop war is useless, the SSD speed war is useless, the looks department war is useless, the controller war is useless......Game on Game Benchmark is what we are waiting for.
And WatchDogs Legion will be the first true test (Fuck Fortnite)
All hail the pig!

Stuart360

I read it as there just aren't a lot of games that have supported raytracing since the 20 series Nvidia GPUs came out. This is not downplaying. This is stated fact.
Of course but people see what they want to see, this very thread is proof of that.

Just so I’m clear on this,

We’ve got a guy who’s just come back from a ban for warring,

Making a thread based on a comment from a guy who’s part of DF that OP and his mates have been calling MS shills for various reasons,

Where the comment in question is pointed out as being false and the DF guy himself says “oh yeah, maybe you’re right” which, be definition of him saying maybe, means he doesn’t actually know if what he said originally is true or not,

And like flies to a corpse, the usual suspects have swarmed the thread, ignored all evidence to the contrary as well as the follow up retraction from the commenter the entire post is based on, and are just felating themselves on the war-bait. But we’re to believe you guys act like rational human beings IRL?

Like holy fuck, guys. Get some fresh air and contemplate your mindset. The lengths people go to to fight about this inane bullshit.

Nobody really cares about Ray tracing. Let's be honest. It's just something gamers are latching to this gen because there ain't much else.

It's good for a " let's look into a puddle" or a glass window moment.

No we need to focus on performance. And new interesting game styles, better AI etc.

I hate that this is the direction games are going in.

I mean did ye guys check out Alex from Digital Foundry's latest 40 minute video on Ray Tracing? 40 minutes of looking into puddles.

I just... Don't get the excitement on Ray Tracing.
You claim you want new art styles in a post dedicated to shitting on a tool devs could use to create new art styles. So tired of people disliking things on here because they can't afford them. You want performance, buy a damn pc. The people hyping up the consoles this gen for their performance are fools. It's going to be the same damn story as last gen. Consoles get horribly outpaced and stop offering choices in settings as they reach their limits in a year and you are saddled with whatever the devs chose for you. At the end of the day, these consoles are low cost, entry gaming machines and if you honestly care about performance it's time to stop being a casual.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Making a thread based on a comment from a guy who’s part of DF that OP and his mates have been calling MS shills for various reasons,

Where the comment in question is pointed out as being false and the DF guy himself says “oh yeah, maybe you’re right” which, be definition of him saying maybe, means he doesn’t actually know if what he said originally is true or not,

And like flies to a corpse, the usual suspects have swarmed the thread, ignored all evidence to the contrary as well as the follow up retraction from the commenter the entire post is based on, and are just felating themselves on the war-bait. But we’re to believe you guys act like rational human beings IRL?

Like holy fuck, guys. Get some fresh air and contemplate your mindset. The lengths people go to to fight about this inane bullshit.
I suspect the Ban page will have quite a few updates when i wake up tomorrow. Some people just cant help themselves.

False Alarm people.
dHBSXeY.jpg

But it was fun to see who was who while the thread lasted.

The updated WatchDogs: Legion page still has Raytracing, so I think its safe to assume its going to have it for now.

Im actually pretty sure WatchDogs: Legion is everyones most anticipated title.....its the first title where we will get a chance to benchmark these machines against each other and against PCs.

Let the War begin then and only then.
The Teraflop war is useless, the SSD speed war is useless, the looks department war is useless, the controller war is useless......Game on Game Benchmark is what we are waiting for.
And WatchDogs Legion will be the first true test (Fuck Fortnite)
All hail the pig!
Medium has that logo removed on xbox site . Does it mean medium doesnt have RT anymore ? Or the website is not that accurate . U better wait and see if it makes it to launch or patch later

Mister Wolf

Like throwing corn in a pigpen. Im guilty of this behavior as well. These consoles need to release so we can all get this out of our system. Scorn also needs to be shown this month like they promised as I believe it will be the showcase next gen Xbox exclusive.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

preview

Somebody actually seeing this thread for what it is?

Last edited:

The update is in the op. If u dont like to hear it , it doesnt mean it can not be reported here and discussed. U simply can just ignore the thread but you cant censor things u don't like

The update is in the op. If u dont like to hear it , it doesnt mean it can not be reported here and discussed. U simply can just ignore the thread but you cant censor things u don't like
Who said anything about censoring? You’re the one who’s basing the entire thread on what someone originally said, but even despite that same person backtracking and people showing evidence to the contrary you’re still replying to said evidence with “maybe, guess we just don’t know”. If we don’t know then the entire thread is pointless FUD, no?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think this may be more about you being a bit overzealous to point out a potential flaw of the console opposite to your preference, Bob.

I mean it sucks to be wrong, I get it.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Medium has that logo removed on xbox site . Does it mean medium doesnt have RT anymore ? Or the website is not that accurate . U better wait and see if it makes it to launch or patch later
Bloober Team then contacted Jez Corden and XboEra that The Medium has Ray Tracing despite the website error. The Xbox website may sometimes not mention all available features but it does not do the reverse.

Who said anything about censoring? You’re the one who’s basing the entire thread on what someone originally said, but even despite that same person backtracking and people showing evidence to the contrary you’re still replying to said evidence with “maybe, guess we just don’t know”. If we don’t know then the entire thread is pointless FUD, no?
No one has any evidence untill these are released . I have put all three comments he has made about the subject and this thread is about his comments as someone who has hands on wirh xsx and making tech video content and talks to devs all the time .

U dont like his comments ? Dont come and participate . Simple

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

You claim you want new art styles in a post dedicated to shitting on a tool devs could use to create new art styles. So tired of people disliking things on here because they can't afford them. You want performance, buy a damn pc. The people hyping up the consoles this gen for their performance are fools. It's going to be the same damn story as last gen. Consoles get horribly outpaced and stop offering choices in settings as they reach their limits in a year and you are saddled with whatever the devs chose for you. At the end of the day, these consoles are low cost, entry gaming machines and if you honestly care about performance it's time to stop being a casual.

How did you get any of that from my post?

I said "game styles" not "art styles"

And I was talking about the direction of games in general.
Focus more on performance in general. Especially for consoles.

And I didn't like I disliked Ray Tracing. Better IS better after all. I just don't give a shit and neither do a lot of people.

At least not yet.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bloober Team then contacted Jez Corden and XboEra that The Medium has Ray Tracing despite the website error. The Xbox website may sometimes not mention all available features but it does not do the reverse.

Because some people need the link...there ya go.

No one has any evidence untill these are released . I have put all three comments he has made about the subject and this thread is about his comments as someone who has hands on wirh xsx and making tech video content and talks to devs all the time .

U dont like his comments ? Dont come and participate . Simple
Why is is that every time you guys get called out for the bullshit threads or posts you make, your go-to non-defence is “don’t like it, move along”. Can’t even defend your weak AF arguments. Here’s some logical thinking for you; if someone makes a statement, you believe it to be true. They then walk about that statement and say “what I said before, it’s now a maybe”. That makes it neither true or false; it’s now effectively a rumour. So you would agree that your entire war-bait post is based entirely on a rumour? Yes/no?

Why is is that every time you guys get called out for the bullshit threads or posts you make, your go-to non-defence is “don’t like it, move along”. Can’t even defend your weak AF arguments. Here’s some logical thinking for you; if someone makes a statement, you believe it to be true. They then walk about that statement and say “what I said before, it’s now a maybe”. That makes it neither true or false; it’s now effectively a rumour. So you would agree that your entire war-bait post is based entirely on a rumour? Yes/no?
No.its 100% not a rumor .he is hands on. He has connection and he knows much more than you and i.he might nit be sure about WD but he is sure of many other games he has seen and made the comment about .

Anyways u r clearly upset and take this too seriously . Its end of our conversation.catching some fresh air might help . Cheers

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

The developer said itll have RT so im inclined to believe them.

The Medium isnt a launch title anyway so that doesnt even matter to the topic at hand.
But thanks for point that out.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
No.its 100% not a rumor .he is hands on. He has connection and he knows much more than you and i.he might nit be sure about WD but he is sure of many other games he has seen and made the comment about .

Anyways u r clearly upset and take this too seriously . Its end of our conversation.catching some fresh air might help . Cheers
Rumors come from the "connected" all the time. That pretty how we get 99% of our rumors.

Do you understand what he said at all? Saying “there is none” and then being given an example of one of said thing disproves “there is none”. Others in this thread have pointed out examples of
RT games that will be there at launch you just flat out ignore it cause it doesn’t fit your narrative. Me calling you out clearly doesn’t either as you’re.l bailing without proving your point even slightly. Shitty defence #2: calling your opponent “upset”. Maybe grow a pair while you’re out getting fresh air and come back with some logical arguments like a big boy.

Top Bottom