• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John from DF: No raytracing on XSX at launch (Update: “Oh, maybe it will then...”)

FranXico

It's amazing that when I click Show ignored content on the list of threads a whole bunch of FUD anti-xbox threads appear by people that clearly are never going to buy an xbox lol. This thread, as usual, is embarrassing for OP.
Welcome to my experience with anti-PS threads for the last year or so. Some people, like Orky and friends, are at it 24/7 as if they make a living of it...

Last edited:
That shit was the deal! I had an Amiga from 1987 'till 1994 and it was a wonder to play and work with.

Said the fox to the grapes. You do get it that this is basically whining, don't you? I would get you if RT was forced and impacted performance, but since we are getting 4K60 modes, I would call RT a nice fidelity feature that a consumer can choose.

Sorry for cutting the quote, but I think I got the main points. Apologies if I didn't.

1) I agree that Sony went for a more balanced approach and isn't pushing pixels the hardest. It IS a 10.3TFlops machine, by numbers not the fastest.
2) MS if going for the "most power", but at the moment doesn't seem able to capitalise on that and deliver. Personally I don't agree with the statement about playing the entire library. It's not there yet, I doubt that it will ever be.

And finally, we go back to Cerny's talk: fast vs numbers. Sony wanted less CUs at a faster frequency to be able to always fed them. MS went with CU count hoping to better distribute workload. I am sure that were MS able to clock as high as Sony, they would not have any computing issues.
Ok but RT is coming anyways lol soooooo

Kumomeme

imagine if this is ps5

later we gonna have a poll thread popup about who cancelled their preorder or which one is most pro consumer whatsoever LOL

Last edited:

Garani

Ok but RT is coming anyways lol soooooo
Which proves my point: before it was something not needed, now that the news seems to have been debunked you are all happy. The fox and the grapes, the very same story.

Than again, Phil didn't talk all too good things about RT, did he?

Which proves my point: before it was something not needed, now that the news seems to have been debunked you are all happy. The fox and the grapes, the very same story.

Than again, Phil didn't talk all too good things about RT, did he?
I was never not happy nor sad. Any smart person knew it was coming eventually if it was at launch or not. I never once implied I thought it was never coming. If anything I was just being a troll to get people like you fired up about something so stupid.

sinnergy

And ? Most here said it was a resource hog and the differences aren’t that noticeable! So I would say it’s not really a problem. It will improve in the future .

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
All that shit talk on PS5 from start to finish, and it’s features. Even downplaying the whole SSD part, and now overhyping it because some youtubers can play with the box and show off the loading times. A little big karma if you ask me.

It’a like the big bully at school with his big mounth, but in reality fucking insecure. You can see that at their own twitter and how they try to counter every PS announcement.

Garani

I was never not happy nor sad. Any smart person knew it was coming eventually if it was at launch or not.

You either have HW RT or you don't have it. You have to bake it in the silicon. It's not like you can add it with a firmware update.

Different issue if the API sucks so much that you can't use it, but in that case it's a failing of MS and you have to take it with them.

If anything I was just being a troll to get people like you fired up about something so stupid.

So can I report you for trolling? I'd love to, since your objective was to get me "fired up". Oh, and you failed: I don't need to feel validated by you to like my plastic toy.

Last edited:
You either have HW RT or you don't have it. You have to bake it in the silicon. It's not like you can add it with a firmware update.

Different issue if the API sucks so much that you can't use it, but in that case it's a failing of MS and you have to take it with them.

So can I report you for trolling? I'd love to, since your objective was to get me "fired up". Oh, and you failed: I don't need to feel validated by you to like my plastic toy.
Go right ahead

Be a big man and report me. I could careless

Lysandros

I think that's mostly due to XSX's GDK's/API's being behind of Sony's. However, i did a bit of googling some time ago and found a research paper on RT stating that some implementations of RT can be especially dependent on cache performance. PS5 having an edge there, maybe this also helps a little.

Murdoch

I don't understand any of this console war mentality? People do realise that they can buy either console, even if one does appear more attractive/cheaper than the other 🤓

Shmunter

Makes me roll with my eyes, two fucking platform, such a massive deal. Wonder what PC devs has to endure. Not the mention someone like Dirt5 devs, this two platform shit is highly overblown.
Pretty sure not all pc games are targeting top end gfx features. Same deal.

Kdad

That shit was the deal! I had an Amiga from 1987 'till 1994 and it was a wonder to play and work with.

Said the fox to the grapes. You do get it that this is basically whining, don't you? I would get you if RT was forced and impacted performance, but since we are getting 4K60 modes, I would call RT a nice fidelity feature that a consumer can choose.

Sorry for cutting the quote, but I think I got the main points. Apologies if I didn't.

1) I agree that Sony went for a more balanced approach and isn't pushing pixels the hardest. It IS a 10.3TFlops machine, by numbers not the fastest.
2) MS if going for the "most power", but at the moment doesn't seem able to capitalise on that and deliver. Personally I don't agree with the statement about playing the entire library. It's not there yet, I doubt that it will ever be.

And finally, we go back to Cerny's talk: fast vs numbers. Sony wanted less CUs at a faster frequency to be able to always fed them. MS went with CU count hoping to better distribute workload. I am sure that were MS able to clock as high as Sony, they would not have any computing issues.
I had an Atari ST...remember spending days watching it render a similar raytraced loop 🤓

Kumomeme

Can imagine implementing raytracing on Xbox is not trivial compared to PS5. On PS5 you build once, on XsX you need to consider 4tf limitations and possibly implement 2 seperate solutions where performance is not adequate. Yes scalability etc, but that scalability takes extra work on the platform. Would not be surprising if many Xbox devs may build lowest common denominator then just increase LOD and Res sliders, done.

This is not a controversial take on matters, simple realities.
agree about this

there lot of people claiming that scalability and optimizing is 'easy' as reduce resolution and setting slider blahblahblah that certain console wont give trouble to devs, the devs kits will handle it yadayada and yet we here see an example of how much it could actually affected a game. if the rumours of troubled devs kit that lead to no next gen game running on xsx and no RT features at launch, imagine how much troubled for devs to make sure games running on 2 different sku.

and yet there people here believe its simple as flip of a switch. if it that simple, why this Ray tracing situation occur?

Last edited:

Hudo

Wait, did he say that he has seen the XSX run Minecraft with path tracing? Because if that is true, that is actually interesting. Or is he just using buzzwords that he barely understands?

reksveks

Wait, did he say that he has seen the XSX run Minecraft with path tracing? Because if that is true, that is actually interesting. Or is he just using buzzwords that he barely understands?

They saw it as part of the two day trip to Microsoft.

RT is currently merely a gimmick anyway, at least on consoles. Just look at the low quality RT in Spiderman, for example. It's like quarter the resolution at low details.

DavidGzz

Taking one dudes tweet as gospel. 9 pages deep. LOL

People getting wet for a feature that will be weak af on both consoles. It's like expecting 4k 60 on a Pro.

Last edited:

JimboJones

Taking one dudes tweet as gospel. 9 pages deep. LOL

People getting wet for a feature that will be weak af on both consoles. It's like expecting 4k 60 on a Pro.

People get so worked up about next generation hardware is coming out, gonna miss it once it's out and it's back to business as usual 🤣

How am i whining stating my opinion on a forum you dumb anime poster. Do you really think these 4k60 modes will be without framedrops? I would rather developers focus all their resources on a 4k60 mode instead of half assing both. i dont care about rt, i have said so before any of these two consoles became announced even.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's like the individuals who work there all have their own individual preferences and biases.

Shock, they are human after all.

Battaglia is full of shit to Sony fans, Jon is full of shit to XBox fans. Richard is full of tea, because he’s British, and wants none of your console warring bullshit.

Not for nothing though: the next time Battaglia does say something negative about Ps5... all of you guys here screaming at how Jon is wrong, and doesn’t know what he’s talking about?

Do shut the fuck up, eh?

Last edited:
Maybe Microsoft had disabled the RT in the chip and forgot to enable it back on like the Xbox One DRM thingie and thus a software patch is needed to take advantage of RT?

Orta

Banned
Who gives a toss. We're all likely going to be sick to the back teeth of RT in 12 months time anyway. It'll be saturated to the point we'll probably have the likes of Tetris: Ultimate RT Edition being pushed by publishers.

Max_Po

Banned
Maybe Microsoft had disabled the RT in the chip and forgot to enable it back on like the Xbox One DRM thingie and thus a software patch is needed to take advantage of RT?

cue5gawsirt41.png

rofl at bs

XSX has more CUs which means more TMUs which means more RT hardware, so it should in theory have better ray tracing
This is the exact same thing as for traditional rendering, not some more power differential.

More CUs less clock... ~18% difference.

The worst thing is that all demos of the Xbox series so far were lackluster to be nice about it.

yurinka

Power your dreams
200.gif

Remember Shuhei Yoshida said once: 'let them dream'.

LastOptimalBrant-small.gif

Regarding launch games, we know at least multi games like Watchdogs Legion, Call of Duty and Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition will (or should) feature raytracing on both PS5 and Series X, and these game release at launch. We only saw gameplay of the PS5 version of DMC5SE running RT, but Series X should have the same stuff.

Then we have the exclusives. As I remember at least Spider-Man Miles Morales, Spider-Man remastered, Demon's Souls and Godfall should feature RT in Sony's side, and the Series X version of Gears 5 too.

Last edited:

Redlight

The first few pages of this thread are a reality check for people who think that Sony fans aren't happy to roll around in FUD. Neither side is innocent, but the pile-on in this thread at the faintest smell of blood in the water (which later turned out to be chum) is very illuminating.

Very, very similar to the overheating bulltish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom