• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John from DF: No raytracing on XSX at launch (Update: “Oh, maybe it will then...”)

skneogaf

First time seeing this thread, erm..... Why does it exist? Ray tracing is on at least watch dogs so the thread is fud.

Ray tracing is used in crysis and gears of war 5 which both work on xbox series x and gears of war 5 is optimised too.

"Next Gen"...

EDfufo6DvHrPCMCM7SvtCfi0EN5abiSv0ZHruB2Ugq7GjF3h-aKuHjVNYVFqRfLOA1ynLqnBTQhNmZjz7A4k7gO5m4DvjNMEjPf7HjaF8DOPQTZbtDOCF1-X7YAsbe0K9WcOO4k

MastaKiiLA

RT is currently merely a gimmick anyway, at least on consoles. Just look at the low quality RT in Spiderman, for example. It's like quarter the resolution at low details.
I think this loses the plot. How detailed are reflections in the real world, outside of mirrors? Now actually put those reflections in motion. There's an upper bound to the practical amount of detail that needs to be provided in any reflection, beyond which returns diminish rapidly. It's not a gimmick in that it closes some of the gaps in a scene that normally reduce realism. So it helps the overall visual fidelity of a scene, but there's only so much performance you should be allocating to it. Much like bump maps added to the visual quality of scenes, but was so demanding early on, that it didn't need to be applied to everything. As tech gets better, we'll start seeing RT being used with the same level of ease as bump maps and point source lights. However, that's not likely to be this generation.

All visual effects have a starting point. You don't wait until the hardware can do it flawlessly, before you use them. You use them sparingly at first, learn all the tricks on how to be efficient with them, and then once the hardware can ace it, you will be able to get amazing results.

Kdad

If you're gonna redirect, maybe, just maybe, don't try to say that John is Digital Foundry as a whole.
I don't pay attention to pixel counting sites so I don't know the players involved...it IS pretty typical however that if you work for a firm and make public comments, those comments reflect on your firm. Perhaps DF needs to have a look at its staff's use of social media then?

I work for a bank...if i make ANY statement on social media that is financial in nature I have to post a disclosure that these thoughts are my own and not the firms...perhaps DF needs a similar approach so people can discern personal opinions from DF opinions.

Closer

I don't pay attention to pixel counting sites so I don't know the players involved...it IS pretty typical however that if you work for a firm and make public comments, those comments reflect on your firm. Perhaps DF needs to have a look at its staff's use of social media then?

They could try it but wouldn't stop people trying to spin everything to fit someone's narrative. There should be no anger to be felt, but here we are trying to "redirect anger" somehow.

Kdad

They could try it but wouldn't stop people trying to spin everything to fit someone's narrative. There should be no anger to be felt, but here we are trying to "redirect anger" somehow.
I used the 'redirect' wording as people were swiping at the OP when all the OP did was post a real tweet. I agree that OP could be updated with the followup mea culpa but the OP didn't post a 'lie' as some have posted...the source of the issue is a DF employee not the OP.

Last edited:

Md Ray

RT is currently merely a gimmick anyway, at least on consoles. Just look at the low quality RT in Spiderman, for example. It's like quarter the resolution at low details.
It's also AMD's first gen (attempt) at hardware-accelerated RT. So yeah, I don't expect it to be as performant as NVIDIA's latest. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't mean this to sound snarky but I'll only be interested in ray tracing when I'm not sacrificing frames for it. I'm not obsessed with framerates, but I can definitely appreciate 60 over 30.

I used the 'redirect' wording as people were swiping at the OP when all the OP did was post a real tweet. I agree that OP could be updated with the followup mea culpa but the OP didn't post a 'lie' as some have posted...the source of the issue is a DF employee not the OP.
I even updated the op with the followup tweet that WD might have it and he is not sure on that one and thread title was adjusted accordingly. Some people rather censor things they don't wanna hear. So I gave up responding to insults

Lysandros

There are patents and techniques, look up LOcal Ray tech for FP16 for ray tracing. I believe they have 32 patents.
Yes, i am aware of Local Ray, i saw earlier discussions about it on these forums. Of course FP16 will/can be used, i am not downplaying it. I only find the statement '25TF of RT power' a bit exaggerated/misleading since i don't think all the compute power can be dedicated to RT in real gaming scenarios.

Last edited:

So basically John wasn't aware, but now we have a 10-page thread of nothingburgers because he was misinformed and there's legions of people running with bad information? :pie_thinking:

Also at least OP did add this tweet to their post. I just doubt most people even bothered to look :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

Lethal01

1. His eyes.

2. Ubisoft.

3. Microsoft.

All three say Ray Tracing on WD: Legion.

What's really impressive here is we're seeing this on the Xbox Series S. A machine able to output at 1440p, while doing things like RT and auto-HDR, on next gen games, with the usual Xbox benefits like Game Pass, for £249 (cheaper than a Switch) is remarkable.

Cool, makes sense. It's weird to act like NX Gamer is the one "confirming" it though but I guess that's just a joke.

Rolla

Banned
Is there a list, definitive or otherwise of raytracing on XBSX next gen games?

I get that current gen games can do it but there is a building narrative on social media and other gaming forums that at launch, besides WD L, series X doesn't have RT in it's games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well Yakuza according to DF dropping to 24fps at 4K, dropping to 51fps at 1440p, needs 1080p to secure 60fps. I mean, imagine using raytracing above all of that.

Last edited:

Banned
Well Yakuza according to DF dropping to 24fps at 4K, dropping t 51fps at 1440p, needs 1080p to secure 60fps. I mean, imagine using raytracing above all of that.

the Dragon engine is absolute trash, using that awful engine to assess performance capabilities of any system is absolutely ridiculous.

next you gonna use a Unity engine game to judge current gen systems...
the PS4 pro can't keep Fall Guys at a steady 1080p60 and it's running on almost the lowest PC settings too.

JTCx

Now we get an excuse for MMS under delivering.
The excuses are always a joy to watch.

Let's not forget the Craig Infinite where apparently the build is months old when the game has been in 5 year dev cycle and the game will get a graphic overhaul within a few short months of November release lmao

or how there's no gameplay of next gen games running on the hardware because....because.........:lollipop_anxious_sweat::lollipop_anxious_sweat::lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The this is mixed up, checked from my PC and cellphone both show RT on the US website:

Screenshot.png

But Microsoft website does not:

Last edited:

llien

Welp, Minecraft is path traced they say.

RT is an overhyped gimmick at this point anyhow.
Even UE5 demo isn't using it.
And it looks fantastic.

Top Bottom