• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Romero Comments On Clip Showing Doom Being Controlled by Rotary Phone

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Over the years, fans have discovered odd things that can run the FPS, but recently, someone has managed to make it possible to control Doomguy using the dial on a rotary phone. A brief clip was uploaded to Twitter recently, which shows the user controlling Doom in a rudimentary way, with the phone's numbers relating to specific functions, such as turning, moving and shooting. Not only that, but the game's co-creator, John Romero, made a comment about the amusing video.

Retweeting the clip himself, the famous developer made the following light-hearted comment in response to user Yoshino's post: "Hello operator? I'd like to report a Cacodemon." Others in the thread also commented similar phone-based puns, with others impressed at how the original poster was able to make the game playable through this method. Given that ex-id Software employee John Romero is something of an influential figure, his words have no doubt caused many Twitter users to investigate the original clip.

Stuart360

Not far from the Atari Jaguar gamepad to be fair, and they got it working on that.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF
Untitled.png

Over the years, fans have discovered odd things that can run the FPS, but recently, someone has managed to make it possible to control Doomguy using the dial on a rotary phone. A brief clip was uploaded to Twitter recently, which shows the user controlling Doom in a rudimentary way, with the phone's numbers relating to specific functions, such as turning, moving and shooting. Not only that, but the game's co-creator, John Romero, made a comment about the amusing video.

Retweeting the clip himself, the famous developer made the following light-hearted comment in response to user Yoshino's post: "Hello operator? I'd like to report a Cacodemon." Others in the thread also commented similar phone-based puns, with others impressed at how the original poster was able to make the game playable through this method. Given that ex-id Software employee John Romero is something of an influential figure, his words have no doubt caused many Twitter users to investigate the original clip.

Ha this is rad. I don't think I've ever seen a game controlled via rotary phone before. I wonder how long until someone speed runs the game with it?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I made it to 25 seconds and I want my time back
Give me $35 via PayPal and I will give you an NFT that is visually representative of the time that you wasted on this.

Act now and I will also throw in an NFT of a potato for free.

Top Bottom