• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'John Wick 3' Brings Back Writer Derek Kolstad

Link.

Derek Kolstad, who penned the Keanu Reeves hits John Wick and John Wick: Chapter 2, will keep the bullets flying.

The scribe has been tapped to pen the screenplay for the third installment of the action franchise, John Wick: Chapter 3, for Lionsgate and producer Basil Iwanyk.

Chapter 3 is being fast-tracked to start production this fall with Reeves expected to reprise his role of beleaguered hitman John Wick. Chad Stahelski, who co-directed the first movie with Derek Leitch and sat solo behind the camera for the second one, is working with Kolstad and developing the project with an eye to direct it.

The two Wick installments have made over $250 million worldwide while being smartly and modestly budgeted. The movies, which took audiences deep into a worldwide society of assassins, have also been a hit with critics.

Bringing back Kolstad is seen as keeping the creative team intact and not messing up a winning combination.

Kolstad wrote the original Wick on spec; it was originally titled Scorn. The writer is keeping a handle on his creation’s activities outside the movies, having also written the VR video game, John Wick: Chronicles (currently available on Steam), and is consulting on the John Wick comic book series, coming out later this year.

Lock if old.

I always wondered how writers go about writing set piece action fights in terms of direction for the screen and how much input they actually have

is it like; Jon Wick then walks into the hotel lobby, quickly ducks behind a pillar loads up his sweet ass desert eagle and expends five rounds from cover into the security, before running up behind the last guard and he executes a sweet attack.

Or does it just go; Then John Wick strolls into the hotel lobby, [insert choreographed fight scene here in dealing with security]

Not totally surprising but welcome news nonetheless. The writing in both movies is quite strong in capturing a very cheesy style of humour which works well with the world they've created and the style of movie it is, so it's welcome to know there'll be consistency in that regard. While the overarching plot of the third movie is pretty clear from how the second ends, I'm looking forward to how they expand the very interesting world they've create even further.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I always wondered how writers go about writing set piece action fights in terms of direction for the screen and how much input they actually have

is it like; Jon Wick then walks into the hotel lobby, quickly ducks behind a pillar loads up his sweet ass desert eagle and expends five rounds from cover into the security, before running up behind the last guard and he executes a sweet attack.

Or does it just go; Then John Wick strolls into the hotel lobby, [insert choreographed fight scene here in dealing with security]

Probably more...

(Keanu kicks ass.)

Scripts probably only thirty pages long.

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

ALL THE WICK, ALL THE TIME, STRAIGHT TO MY EYE-VEINS [PLEASE].

modern action movies done right, nothing compares.

poodaddy

Gold Member
The most important news here is that there is a John Wick video game. I didn't know that....is it any good?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

ALL THE WICK, ALL THE TIME, STRAIGHT TO MY EYE-VEINS [PLEASE].

image.php

dosh

Given how Stahelski, Kolstad and Leitch decided that Chapter 2 was the opportunity to dive deeper into the world they created instead of the usual bigger/bolder direction a lot of sequels go for, I'm super excited by this news.

They seem to fully understand what made John Wick a success in the first place.

Give me that Wick/Cassian team-up.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the second film was stupid with his bulletproof suit. I'd like to see more but turning into a dumb superhero was a bad choice.

theWB27

Depends on the writer. I like to write mine out. Or you can write kick punch and move along.

I'd imagine wick is just....shots to the knee. .. head shot and repeat.

It's all gonna build up to a scene where he finally
dual wields his pistols. You think he's dangerous with just one gun, naw dude you dun fucked now.

Would be the ultimate Matrix call-back.

Zetta

I can't wait for more, bring it on.
It's all gonna build up to a scene where he finally
dual wields his pistols. You think he's dangerous with just one gun, naw dude you dun fucked now.

Would be the ultimate Matrix call-back.

As cool as this would be I hope they don't. I don't know what it is about his shooting but I just want more of the same, so damn good. That last fight sequence was heaven for me.

Newlove

It would be interesting to see what the JW2 script looks like for those long killing spree scenes.

the second film was stupid with his bulletproof suit. I'd like to see more but turning into a dumb superhero was a bad choice.
Lol really? Did you even see the first movie? It's overwelmingly clear that it takes place in it's own heightened hyper-real universe.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
The best part about this is, hopefully, it means he can wrap up his story. The end of the second movie left an awful lot open so at least having the person back who penned it should, hopefully, mean that he knew where he was going when he wrote it. And he, therefore, can take the story to it's conclusion in decent enough fashion.

I've always wondered this myself too.

The John Wick movies are basically comic book adaptations of a comic book that doesn't exist. It meant to be a stylized heightened reality that isn't trying to be realistic.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The John Wick movies are basically comic book adaptations of a comic book that doesn't exist. It meant to be a stylized heightened reality that isn't trying to be realistic.

yeah I know but there's stylized action then there's running up the street using your jacket to protect your face and deflect bullets. To me it just tipped over from fun dumb into dumb.

not saying it can't be cool or I don't want more but I didn't like the second one nearly as much as the first. I still think it needs that grounding to make his actions seem more spectacular.

overcast

Sounds awesome. 2 was probably even better than the first.

I hope they make it a trilogy and end it but I doubt that for some reason.

Nameless

Makes sense to fast track this. Wick is hot right now, Keanu is in shape, and he's not gonna get younger. No matter how Chapter 3 turns out it'll go down as his best trilogy.

Yeah, I love how the first movie let viewers know this fairly early on when the cop shows up at John's door and, after seeing the group of dead bodies in the house, just shrugs and is like, "I thought you retired."

Geist-

Keanu is a serious contender for greatest action star of all time. 2 felt like the same movie at times, but the action sequences are so good I don't care. As long as Keanu keeps doing shit like this they can make as many movies as they want.

J1tMUAq.gif

BumRush

The action in the first 2, plus the fact that Keanu seems like the most likeable star ever means that any news regarding JW3 is welcome

BHK3

Banned
I was fine with 1, thought it was OK. 2 adding some world building was my favourite but it turning into a video game where pedestrians don't hear, see or care about anything was a big detraction. Also that really weird gunfight in the subway where they are quietly SHOOTING GUNS at each other while strolling was just not something I liked.

I'm looking forward to JW3: John kills the world though

I remember walking out of the first film and googling around for the comic book the movie was based on. There are so many neat little world building touches that I was sure it was an adaptation.

theWB27

yeah I know but there's stylized action then there's running up the street using your jacket to protect your face and deflect bullets. To me it just tipped over from fun dumb into dumb.

not saying it can't be cool or I don't want more but I didn't like the second one nearly as much as the first. I still think it needs that grounding to make his actions seem more spectacular.

I don't think you caught the fact that the first movie was wick wearing #45 and wick 2 is full On #23.

jett

D-Member
John Wick 2 was great fun, a solid improvement over the first one. Excellent action direction and choreography. If falters with plot and characters, but I can give it a pass on that.

Keanu is a serious contender for greatest action star of all time. 2 felt like the same movie at times, but the action sequences are so good I don't care. As long as Keanu keeps doing shit like this they can make as many movies as they want.

J1tMUAq.gif

Nobody is ever going to beat Arnold, man.

The original screenplay, titled 'Scorn', had a very different feel in terms of tone and pacing. There was also a lot more dialogue (most of it bad), and what is in the film is either a remix of the original dialogue or greatly scaled back (for the better).

I was kind of shocked when I read it. Felt like it was a different movie entirely.

The original screenplay, titled 'Scorn', had a very different feel in terms of tone and pacing. There was also a lot more dialogue (most of it bad), and what is in the film is either a remix of the original dialogue or greatly scaled back (for the better).

I was kind of shocked when I read it. Felt like it was a different movie entirely.

Thank god someone realized that the movie would work much better as a fast-paced, kinetic action film with a protagonist that barely speaks.

Theres going to be a third film?

Well, the second one was very successful and ends on a huge cliffhanger, so... ya?

Top Bottom