• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Wick 3 Review Thread

Kadayi

Banned
giphy.gif

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Keanu knows how difficult it is to put together trilogies, but I'm not sure it can top the original John Wick tho.

Fox Mulder

I didn't like 2 as much as the first, but that's a high bar and it made up for anything by going into the crazy lore.

Pumped for 3.

Just got back from seeing this. Solid flick overall, better than part 2. One of my complaints is that there is an action scene very early on in the movie that is shit your pants levels of incredible and it never really manages to top it, but I guess thats not the worst complaint to have.

A lot of people are gonna be surprised by Halle Berry in this movie. Her action scenes were really fucking legit and she obviously trained a lot. Big props.

Boss Mog

After all the hype Endgame got and being extremely disappointed by it, I'm a bit wary, but I don't really see how a John Wick movie could be bad. It's not like there's gonna be any SJW non-sense here, just Keanu laying waste to a bunch of guys for 2 hours straight, my kind of movie.

Typhares

Just got back from seeing this. Solid flick overall, better than part 2. One of my complaints is that there is an action scene very early on in the movie that is shit your pants levels of incredible and it never really manages to top it, but I guess thats not the worst complaint to have.

A lot of people are gonna be surprised by Halle Berry in this movie. Her action scenes were really fucking legit and she obviously trained a lot. Big props.

Just one question, you can spoiler the answer for others if they don't want to know: is the ending a real ending or does it set up a 4th movie?

Just one question, you can spoiler the answer for others if they don't want to know: is the ending a real ending or does it set up a 4th movie?
Just got back from seeing it....u already know the answer...it’s a franchise now

I liked the movie...first part of the movie had some amazing fight scenes ....a fight with knives...killing someone with a book..a horse.

The only gripe I had is the last part of the movie became a little too self aware of itself... you will know what I mean when you see but the fight choreography is some of the best I’ve seen in any movie for years but the clever story telling and mystery of part one sort of takes a back seat to flat out action

Bwesh

Just got home from watching. Watched it twice today since the wife liked it so much.

Some of the action scenes felt slower and too choreographed. We liked it better than Endgame though. Halle Berry is an amazing addition with her dogs.

Ending felt rushed but we can't wait for more Wick

trikster40

Saw it today. Definitely better than 2, but I agree with other sentiments in that everything felt a bit too choreographed sometimes. I do wish they had just wrapped everything up instead of setting up for yet another sequel. I love John Wick, but I’m not sure how much longer Keanu can do them, and fatigue is going to set in too.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Movie did a pretty good job, if they do this franchise without Keanu they got to go all in on the world building.

John Wick has got to be hurting after that fall

MB1

Banned
I'm just wondering if the majority will think that this is better than John Wick 2.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Definitely better than 2. It was a fun watch. The ninjalike guy was slightly annoying. Halle Berry was awesome in the movie and believable. I felt that the fist fights looked fake sometimes but the gunfights were fun.

Verdanth

Just watched.

What an awesome movie.

Loved every bit. Hardcore, violent and insane action sequences.

Somebody do a videogame of John Wick, like the one they did of Jason Bourne, please.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Just came out of seeing it.

So, great movie, but the pacing is a bit weird. It's done for obvious reasons (see spoiler). I got chills when he said the Matrix line, and his exchange with Halle before shit goes down? comedy gold. The fight in the antique store was fucking off the rails in the best possible way.

A lot of the pacing is done to set all his allies up for the fourth movie.

Outside of the Wayne’s World 2 desert soul searching malarkey this is a great film. I think I prefer number 2 honestly, but the confidence of that first half and all it’s action sequences is amazing.

I'm glad but not surprised that this reviewed well. The first two were incredible, and I'm saying this as someone who doesn't like most action movies and generally finds them stupid. I had planned to see this on one of the last two nights, but haven't gotten to doing so yet. Soon I will.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thumbs up. Doesn't come close to topping the original, but there are some sick set pieces (unfortunately peaking in the first act, but goddamn that antique weapons fight). Some of the climax fights are surprisingly slow and sloppy at times; Mad Dog and his twin have to slow down considerably or pause to wait for Old Keanu on several occasions. This should've been revised.. Overall they did what they could to mix up the action formula and for the most part it's successful. The plot reaches new levels of dumb (the desert sequence, lol) but that's fine.

Cool touch with the Sambo training room where John picked up his takedown skills.

pramod

Banned
Just came back from it. I'm someone who thought Part 2 was better than 1, and I think this one was at least as good as 2. It was a bit similar to 2 in that the "climax" was a bit underwhelming and the most amazing action scenes happen earlier in the movie. I really haven't liked Halle Berry in anything, and I was thankful she wasn't in this movie for that long. And I think Common was a better rival for Wick than this Japanese guy was.

kunonabi

Probably my favorite of the 3 and a huge step up from the 2 which I didnt like very much. I really liked the new characters this time around and despite being pretty down on Berry for most of her career I have to say I was very impressed with her here. You could tell she put the work in unlike Ruby Rose who was a complete waste in JW2. I'm not sure about doing JW4 but this was so good I'll give it a chance.

plushyp

Just came back from it. I'm someone who thought Part 2 was better than 1, and I think this one was at least as good as 2. It was a bit similar to 2 in that the "climax" was a bit underwhelming and the most amazing action scenes happen earlier in the movie. I really haven't liked Halle Berry in anything, and I was thankful she wasn't in this movie for that long. And I think Common was a better rival for Wick than this Japanese guy was.
I feel like each JW film has had an underwhelming climax. The stupid fist fight in the first film felt like a Call of Duty/Medal of Honor QTE where the henchman boss suddenly levels up and overpowers the hero just because.

Pejo

The dog scenes were definitely a highlight. And the horse and knife scenes were great too. There were definitely some spots in the movie where I became aware that a lot of the group battles were guys just waving their fists around and walking up to John to get punched, but overall it was a fun movie. The whole desert scene was pretty damn pointless for this movie, though. Might build something fun for part 4 if we get it. I wish the asian guys hadn't broken character and gotten all goofy, if I had one complaint.

Last edited:
Top Bottom