• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Johnny Depp wins US libel lawsuit against former wife Amber Heard

Draugoth

Gold Member
FUMNy7zXsAQVQX_

A Virginia jury awarded Johnny Depp $15 million in his defamation suit against Amber Heard on Wednesday, ruling in his favor on all three claims that he was defamed when Heard wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post in which she called herself a domestic abuse survivor. He was also mostly vindicated of allegations that he defamed Heard by calling her accusations a hoax.

Heard was handed a near complete loss in the case revolving around dueling defamation claims from her and Depp, prevailing on only one of her claims in a widely broadcast trial that came to symbolize the shortcomings of the #MeToo movement. Heard, who divorced Depp in 2016 after obtaining a domestic violence restraining order, has been dragged through two trails across two continents to substantiate allegations that Depp abused her.

A jury of six men and three women took nearly 13 hours over three days of deliberations to reach the verdict, absolving Depp of claims that he smeared Heard by claiming that she lied about being abused. Jurors concluded that Heard acted with the level of malice or recklessness necessary to meet the high standard for public figures to allege defamation.

Depp was awarded $10 million in compensatory damages and $5 million in punitive damages.

While Heard lost on two of her three claims, she won on one claim that a statement from Depp's lawyer was defamatory. In the statement, he said that Heard set up an "ambush, a hoax," referencing a visit from law enforcement to the couple's house allegedly initiated by Heard. She was awarded $2 million in compensatory damages but none in punitive damages

Statement from Johnny Depp:

Last edited:

BigBooper

I had to look up what the difference was. TBH I still don't know, just like before I searched. Good thing I am not a lawyer. :)
One is written. One is spoken. I don't remember which is which.

It's an amazing outcome. I haven't been following it closely, but I thought at best the jury wouldn't come up with a verdict.

BigBooper

That's libel and slander. Defamation is it's own thing (I think?).

Dude, I haven't even had an edible today. My brain is just fried from work I think.
Oh yea, you're right. Who knows? Maybe defamation is more of the international verbiage? I know defamation is a big deal in Japan, regardless of whether the allegation is true or false, if it hurts the person's reputation, you've committed a crime.

Fbh

Good. Can't say I have been following the case that closely but from everything I did read it seemed clear he was the one who was wronged.

So is this final or can Amber appeal?

Jaybe

Congratulations Johnny! Been seeing the headlines on this over the years and he always seemed to get the shit-end of the media stick. Glad the truth came out so vividly. I hope this changes the culture and conversation on abuse men are subjected to, and a mirror up to society and it’s ‘believe all women’ default lunacy that has play. On a side note, was on a date last week and her personality took a decidedly negative and mean-spirited turn 2 hours in. In the moment and with those Amber recording so recent exposed, I thought I’m in no way putting up with this. Got up, said I don’t have to deal with this, I’m out, and left the bar, her just sitting there.

Feminists everywhere are furious. :messenger_grinning:

Especially RadFems and TERFS

It's hilarious reading posts from these people on tumblr. They keep on bringing up the text messages and quoting them. I'm like words aren't violence cunts!!!!

It made me chuckle so much

I hope this starts to kill the #MeToo movement which has always been a man hating movement with a Sinister Agenda

Zeroing

Banned
Especially RadFems and TERFS

It's hilarious reading posts from these people on tumblr. They keep on bringing up the text messages and quoting them. I'm like words aren't violence cunts!!!!

It made me chuckle so much

I hope this starts to kill the #MeToo movement which has always been a man hating movement with a Sinister Agenda
Tumblr still a thing?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The majority are furious at her! She’s done so much damage! I was watching a live stream on YouTube and the female commentators were a bit angry at Amber…. One was someone who’s mother worked with abuse victims another was a criminal investigator!
They weren't furious until the shit hit the fan.

Top Bottom