• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" Manga Has Printed 100 Million Copies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Official now.

The official website for 56-year-old Japanese manga artist Hirohiko Araki today announced that, as of the release of the 14th volume of the current 8th arc JoJolion next Monday, his long-running Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga series has printed 100 million copies in Japan. The saga started with the 1st arc Phantom Blood in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump in 1987, and the eight arcs have released a total of 117 tankobon volumes so far.

The current arc JoJolion has been serialized in the publisher's Ultra Jump monthly magazine since 2011. In commemoration of reaching the 100 million mark, the next January 2017 issue of the magazine, which will be released on the same day with the 14th volume, will feature the manga on its cover.

Araki has posted his comment on the record as below:
"The serialization of Jojo began in 1987. It is a very happy thing that the series reaches the 100 million copies mark at the timing of its 30th anniversary. And I have nothing but gratitude for the people who have gotten this series and characters in their hands during this 30 years. But this is not a goal. We are preparing various plans for 2017, the 30th anniversary year. So I am hoping people will enjoy Jojo in the future as well."

Firehead

WlF9vfm.png

So the 100 million list is now:
  1. One Piece
  2. Golgo 13
  3. Dragon Ball
  4. Naruto
  5. Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo
  6. Case Closed
  7. Pokémon Adventures
  8. Oishinbo
  9. Slam Dunk
  10. Astro Boy
  11. Doraemon
  12. Fist of the North Star
  13. Touch
  14. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Will probably pass Astro Boy next year.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So the 100 million list is now:

Will probably pass Astro Boy next year.

Oh man, but how could it ever pass Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo, though? "Jojo's Bizarre Adventure" doesn't roll of the tongue as well.

Awsome! Makes you wonder why no one else ever tries to imitate such a successful formula. Genre hopping and clean slates do wonders in preventing stress and burnout. Also I would like to buy the rest of the series in English pls k thnx bye

NevaNopa

Well deserved. I just recently got into the series, and while I'm not usually a big fan of anime or manga, it's become one of my favorite pieces of entertainment. Araki is a fantastic artist and storyteller.

Awsome! Makes you wonder why no one else ever tries to imitate such a successful formula. Genre hopping and clean slates do wonders in preventing stress and burnout.

Creators and/or publishers are incredibly nervous of shaking up these series too much for fear of driving off readers, hurting merch sales, and the like.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Awsome! Makes you wonder why no one else ever tries to imitate such a successful formula. Genre hopping and clean slates do wonders in preventing stress and burnout. Also I would like to buy the rest of the series in English pls k thnx bye
Because they could just well create a new manga. The pro's of the jojo method is you keep the brand the negatives are the consistency issues which Araki never really had a lid on.

Matsukaze

JoJo is hands-down my favorite manga of all time. I hope it continues to sell tremendously because Araki deserves all the success in Za Warudo.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Now he's going to have a character whose stand grows more powerful for every copy of the manga that has sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom