• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT| Get back, Stand up

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Favorite Stands: Killer Queen, Echoes, Oh! Lonesome Me
Favorite Protagonists: Joseph Joestar, Gyro Zeppelli (he counts, screw y'all)
Favorite Antagonists: Yoshikage Kira, Wham (whichever section he belongs in), Dio
Favorite Sidekick: Bruno, Speedwagon, Stroheim (????), Benimaru Nikaido
Favourite Side-Villain : Ringo Roadagain
Parts Ranking: Battle Tendency > Duwang is Unbreakable > Steel Ball Run > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood

Never finished V and VI; waiting on the duwang-free part IV translation first before finishing them off along with it, though they'd probably end up between SC and PB.

Yonafunu

Reading Part VIII, I'm struck by how a lot of this feels like Part IV done 'right'; I loved Part IV, but it was never really much of a mystery, especially to the reader who sees the villain relatively early on.

(Not really sure I need to spoil this, but better safe than sorry).
The mystery of the protagonist of VIII is much, much more well done in comparison, and gels well with the usual crazy Araki twists. I think this has the potential to be the best part yet, assuming it doesn't start falling apart (which it could do, it's not like we're far in).

I agree, Part 8 has great potential so far, but I don't feel like it can be compared to Part 4 that easily.

Part 4 was much more of a slice-of-life than any other Part, without much of an all encompassing plot. Who is Kira? was never a mystery or the theme of the story. It was more about people leading their lives and meeting up. The Kira-stuff was there, but it wasn't always the focus. The focus was (everyday) life in the beautiful Duwang. But when Kira did in fact cross paths with the others, in turned into a tense cat-and-mouse game, with, interestingly enough, Kira as the mouse. A lot of people, like myself, enjoyed this approach, while others didn't.

Part 8 is very obviously a mystery. It's about what happened in Morioh, what the Wall Eyes are, and who the Protagonist is. It's all very clear. It's awesome because we haven't had a blatant mystery-based Part yet.

Whoa, a thread for Jojo's?

x9NccmCl.jpg

I'll enlist in the ranking wars, too.

Favorite Stands: Hand, Killer Queen, Cream, Kiss
Favorite Protagonists: Joseph Joestar, Jotaro Kujo, Josuke Higashikata
Favorite Antagonists: The Pillar Men, Kira, Funny Valentine
Favorite Sidekick: Speedwagon, Polnareff, Gyro Zepelli, Okuyasu Nijimura, Guido Mista
Favourite Side-Villain : Hol Horse, D'arby, Weather Report
Parts Ranking: Battle Tendency > Steel Ball Run > Stardust Crusaders > Diamond Is Not Crash > Vento Aureo > Stone Ocean > Phantom Blood

I've got high hopes for Jojolion, too.

I agree, Part 8 has great potential so far, but I don't feel like it can be compared to Part 4 that easily.

Part 4 was much more of a slice-of-life than any other Part, without much of an all encompassing plot. Who is Kira? was never a mystery or the theme of the story. It was more about people leading their lives and meeting up. The Kira-stuff was there, but it wasn't always the focus. The focus was (everyday) life in the beautiful Duwang. But when Kira did in fact cross paths with the others, in turned into a tense cat-and-mouse game, with, interestingly enough, Kira as the mouse. A lot of people, like myself, enjoyed this approach, while others didn't.

Part 8 is very obviously a mystery. It's about what happened in Morioh, what the Wall Eyes are, and who the Protagonist is. It's all very clear. It's awesome because we haven't had a blatant mystery-based Part yet.

I agree wholeheartedly; I was going to post a similar response, but you covered the points I would have attempted to make much more thoroughly.

The episodic nature of Part 4 is why I like the bridge between Parts 4 and 5 so much; coming off of Part 4, it's just another weird incident, but it snowballs into a catalyst for Part 5.

Yonafunu

I agree wholeheartedly; I was going to post a similar response, but you covered the points I would have attempted to make much more thoroughly.

The episodic nature of Part 4 is why I like the bridge between Parts 4 and 5 so much; coming off of Part 4, it's just another weird incident, but it snowballs into a catalyst for Part 5.

MY MAN

The bridge between Part 4 and 5 was great, I agree! It really it such a shame Part 5 wasn't better than it turned out. I was really looking forward to it, especially in the beginning. It had such a great concept, not to mention potentially the most interesting Jojo. It really didn't do it for me though, unfortunately. I guess that's why it's last on my ranking.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that Part IV wasn't in the end, but it seemed in the early parts to be heading in that direction (the arc of the guy with the fake doll stand whose name escapes me, and the short-lived mystery of who RHCP's user was). Oh well, it was still pretty great!

laaame

Favorite Stands: Killer Queen, Echoes, Oh! Lonesome Me
Favorite Protagonists: Joseph Joestar, Gyro Zeppelli (he counts, screw y'all)
Favorite Antagonists: Yoshikage Kira, Wham (whichever section he belongs in), Dio
Favorite Sidekick: Bruno, Speedwagon, Stroheim (????), Benimaru Nikaido
Favourite Side-Villain : Ringo Roadagain
Parts Ranking: Battle Tendency > Duwang is Unbreakable > Steel Ball Run > Stardust Crusaders > Phantom Blood

Never finished V and VI; waiting on the duwang-free part IV translation first before finishing them off along with it, though they'd probably end up between SC and PB.
You mean J.P Polnariff!

Favorite Stands: Killer Queen, Echoes, Weather Report, Star Platinum
Favorite Protagonists: Joseph Joestar, Josuke Higashikata, Jolyne Kujo
Favorite Antagonists: Yoshikage Kira, Dio.
Favorite Sidekick: Bruno, Mista, Speedwagon, J.P Polnariff, The entire main cast of parts 4 & 6
Favourite Side-Villain : Pet Shop, Vanilla Ice, Secco
Parts Ranking: Battle Tendency>Stone Ocean>Diamond is Not Crash>Stardust Crusaders>Vento Aureo>Phantom Blood(I really still like part 1, unlike most people)

Still haven't read 7 or 8.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Nice to see we finally have a Jojo thread. It deserves it.

I'm reading Diamond is Not Crash (yes, I call it that because it is awesome), and the pacing, while weird and more episodic than arcs before it, is really charming.

At the same time,I'm reading Jojolion, which is actually probably the most intriguing Jojo arc I've ever read. Great art, great mysteries, and it's suitably bizarre, perhaps moreso than other arcs.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Dude! Duwang is not Crash is the best and craziest part in the series.

Good post.

Beckx

Started the Blu-Rays last night.

"My name is Robert E. O. Speedwagon" is the greatest character introduction of all time. Ever.

Also, using Yes' Roundabout for the end titles caught me offguard and made me laugh out loud. It's glorious.

LProtag

I'll just rank the parts for now:

7 > 2/5 > 6 > 4/3 > 1

Steel Ball Run is just too good. Battle Tendency has the best protagonist and some great fights. Vento Aureo has some of the best fights in the series, so very very brutal. Plus, Bruno is amazing. Stone Ocean: dat ending. Stardust Crusaders is really kinda stand of the week, and Diamond is Not Crash has too much random stuff thrown in that doesn't seem to fit with the main plot. Phantom Blood has Dio being a complete asshole.

Kiryu

I'd join in the ranking wars, but I have too much trouble ranking parts and characters because I love them all D:

I wonder if any of the anime only people picked up on this.
I didn't know that... I only watched all of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012 (up to 20)
I never read manga at all because I know it's second longest series to run. I can say it's awesome for first two of JoJo's Arc.

Tizoc

Was reading on Part 6 characters over on TVTropes and I wonder if Araki made more shit up on the fly while writing Part 6, than he did in any other part, lol.
It also confirmed something I was wondering, as Diver Down's ability was different the first time it was used than it was during a later fight.

Part 6 spoilers down here, avoid if you're currently reading it~

EDIT: Speaking of Part 6, what do you think of the JoJo's wikia explanation on the name change for Pucci's Stand-
http://jjba.wikia.com/wiki/Stairway_to_Heaven_(Made_in_Heaven)

The original name of this stand was based on the song Stairway to Heaven, by Led Zeppelin, but later in the tankōbon release, it was changed to Made in Heaven, the name of a single by Freddie Mercury and an album by Queen. The reason for this was probably that Made in Heaven, with such lines as:

I'm taking my ride with destiny
Willing to play my part
Living with painful memories
Loving with all my heart

or

When stormy weather comes around
It was made in heaven
When sunny skies break through behind the clouds
I wish it could last forever,

fits the story of Part VI more than Stairway to Heaven does.

fertygo

Was reading on Part 6 characters over on TVTropes and I wonder if Araki made more shit up on the fly while writing Part 6, than he did in any other part, lol.
It also confirmed something I was wondering, as Diver Down's ability was different the first time it was used than it was during a later fight.

Really? I thought his power always same, store his stand in space that he wanted.

Lirlond

^Brilliant!

That reminds me...wtf is Tusk's ability per Act?

Act 1, shoot nails. Act 2 shoot nails with golden rotation, tears a hole in space which persists and jojo can travel through. Takes a long time for nails to grow back. Act 3 utilises the horses rotation to tear a hole in reality. The only reason Valentine survives so long is because he can keep swapping himself out, is otherwise sure kill.

Defuser

I still don't quite understand Johnny's Tusk Act 4 works and how it managed to stop Valentine and his D4C. And I see some of the Stands they have in the jojo universal is so damn imba it makes Cars looks like a small fry. Heck even D4C could probably take out cars.

fertygo

And I see some of the Stands they have in the jojo universal is some damn imba it makes Cars looks like a small fry. Heck even D4C could probably take out cars.

Stand user just in whole another level, even the weaker-mid tier ones.

I still don't quite understand Johnny's Tusk Act 4 works and how it managed to stop Valentine and his D4C.

Its travel around parallel world, Valentine so hax because he hiding in those world, act 4 spin can "chase" him to cause damage.. CMIIW

Time to re-read again lol, its so hard to remember shit in jojo after the stands got so hax..

Tizoc

Act 1, shoot nails. Act 2 shoot nails with golden rotation, tears a hole in space which persists and jojo can travel through. Takes a long time for nails to grow back. Act 3 utilises the horses rotation to tear a hole in reality. The only reason Valentine survives so long is because he can keep swapping himself out, is otherwise sure kill.

Wait aren't Act 2 and 3 basically the same then? It allows Tusk's Spin to create a crack in reality, unless Act 3 can allow Johnny to use it for teleportation?

All I know about Act 4 is that it's a Spin that'll chase you til the target is dead.

Lirlond

Wait aren't Act 2 and 3 basically the same then? It allows Tusk's Spin to create a crack in reality, unless Act 3 can allow Johnny to use it for teleportation?

All I know about Act 4 is that it's a Spin that'll chase you til the target is dead.

I labelled them a bit wrong. Act 2 is just stronger nails, act 3 is teleportation, act 4 is holes in reality. That spin until you die.

Tizoc

I labelled them a bit wrong. Act 2 is just stronger nails, act 3 is teleportation, act 4 is holes in reality. That spin until you die.

Oh OK then that sounds reasonable. Just wish Tusk didn't look so...lame...I mean Act 4 is different than what you'd expect for the main character's form and I give it credit for it but...it just looks...lame.
Araki should've given him an Act 5 that looks much cooler IMO =P

That's from the narrator right?

In those first two pics it was Smokey talking. I'm guessing it's something that Erina must've been telling him while Joseph wasn't paying attention because it feels weird that Joseph of all people wouldn't pick up on that detail.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dude! Duwang is not Crash is the best and craziest part in the series.

Good post.

Yeah, I'm really liking it. Yoshikage is pretty awesome, and interestingly, as I'm reading Jojolion and Diamond is Not Crash at the same time, I'm seeing a lot of the parallels between them (like the jars of finger nails, for instance, which I don't think are ever explained in Jojolion, but assume you would get its meaning from reading DINC.)

Yonafunu

Yeah, I'm really liking it. Yoshikage is pretty awesome, and interestingly, as I'm reading Jojolion and Diamond is Not Crash at the same time, I'm seeing a lot of the parallels between them (like the jars of finger nails, for instance, which I don't think are ever explained in Jojolion, but assume you would get its meaning from reading DINC.)

Well, it's both Yoshikage Kira, so I guess it doesn't need explaining if you've read DINC.

Having DINC as a favorite part makes reading Jojolion even cooler.

Kurtofan

Well, it's both Yoshikage Kira, so I guess it doesn't need explaining if you've read DINC.

Having DINC as a favorite part makes reading Jojolion even cooler.

It makes the wait for a new chapter much longer.

I feel like it's been ages since the last one, is Araki on a hiatus?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
In those first two pics it was Smokey talking. I'm guessing it's something that Erina must've been telling him while Joseph wasn't paying attention because it feels weird that Joseph of all people wouldn't pick up on that detail.

Knowing Joseph, that's probably the case.

Tizoc

Of all the Engrish JoJo series has, 'Diamond is not crash' is the worst IMO...unless it's intended as a music reference...otheriwse Diamond is unbreakable sounds much better.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was discussing Jojo earlier on another board and all the shortcomings of Part 5 seems to be a popular thing, I can let most of them go as do as a lot of Jojo fans but thinking about Bruno I never really understand his situation after him meeting KC.
It was that he was dead the entire time but refused to accept or believe he was dead
was it not?

Kurtofan

I was discussing Jojo earlier on another board and all the shortcomings of Part 5 seems to be a popular thing, I can let most of them go as do as a lot of Jojo fans but thinking about Bruno I never really understand his situation after him meeting KC.
It was that he was dead the entire time but refused to accept or believe he was dead
was it not?

Golden Experience's life energy power was keeping his soul from leaving his dead body, but as time went on the life energy power diminished and he lost sight etc...

Tizoc

lol, poor kid XP.

So GAF, which do you prefer calling Pucci's Stand as?
Made in Heaven
or
Stairway to Heaven

I just call it Heaven for simplicity's sake =V

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Yeah, Stairway to Heaven's my personal choice too. Just fits perfectly imo.
Reading the Scary Monster chapters of SBR at the mo. God, Araki's art is already godlike, and I haven't even reached the pinnacle yet! The amount of detail he puts into every panel is insane, as well as the character designs. Hoping Diego makes All Star Battle, which he should. Do you think they'll give him the same voice as Dio though?

I think Cars could take most stand users, wasnt his specialty to evolve and adopt to the situation in which he is fighting? Plus if he was to ever show up again he is almost certainly getting a stand.

Yeah, I'm of the opinion that if Ultimate Cars ever showed up again, he could only ever be beaten by the most broken stands, and maybe not even then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom