• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT PART 2| How many threads have you opened in your life?

cntr

Banned
They also got Matthew Mercer (Jotaro) to voice Star Platinum, rather than Patrick Seitz (Dio).

...though we won't properly hear his ORA until next week.

Tizoc

Y'all remember that one time Jotaro got so bored he got paperclips on his clothes?
jojo-introduction-panel.jpg

Also that chain
0fe2e75c5e49c61a8a8513466857b82ee5320929_hq.jpg

Something about the way "bitch" is delivered in English makes me pause. Maybe it's because it's my native language, or maybe it's the way Mercer delivers it, but it comes off as less amusing this time around.

Luckily it only happens two more times (although the anime made the plane scene come off worse than it did in the manga.

cntr

Banned
It's mostly the disconnect you get from reading it in subtitles over actually hearing it in your native language, yeah. It's usually worth trying to watch a show in dub if it has a good one for that reason, heh.

I've always thought it was about Jotaro being literally a rebellious teen delinquent, since that's the kind of shit they do.

That I get, it'll just take a bit to adjust.

And is it one of those situations where Japanese is super contextual so "bitch" is being used when Jotaro is just aggressively saying woman or something?

caliph95

That I get, it'll just take a bit to adjust.

And is it one of those situations where Japanese is super contextual so "bitch" is being used when Jotaro is just aggressively saying woman or something?
Considering how I understand that Japanese doesn't have any real swearing unlike English it's possible

caliph95

He's literally saying "Shut up, woman!", but saying that on its own is quite rude in Japanese, so while 'bitch' might be a bit too harsh as a translation...it's pretty close.

(The usual neutral word is a compound that literally means 'female human', if you're wondering.)
Pretty much a common localization thing from what I understand since Japanese has a lack of swearing and a lot of the characters are just being rude they tend to use harsh language as an easy replacement since it conveys the same from what I understand

cntr

Banned
Japanese doesn't have swears in the sense that English has phrases like "Fuck you, Dio!", but you can phrase things in a way that basically is swearing.

So it should be translated that way, anime and manga just tend not to because official translations are usually toned down and fan translations are usually too literal.

edit: ...and probably doesn't help that a lot of fan-translations don't understand context and add too much swearing.

caliph95

Japanese doesn't have swears in the sense that English has phrases like "Fuck you, Dio!", but you can phrase things in a way that basically is swearing.

So it should be translated that way, anime and manga just tend not to because official translations are usually toned down and fan translations are usually too literal.

edit: ...and probably doesn't help that a lot of fan-translations don't understand context and add too much swearing.
Probably due to fan translations prioritising speed and "adult" over accuracy

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
They're not going to risk trying to ask Steely Dan (the band) for permission. They're very stingy about that I've heard. Like Prince stingy.

I'm still curious if King Crimson will remain when Vento Aureo is finally adapted, since Robert Fripp knows about it (and loves it)

Grexeno

They're not going to risk trying to ask Steely Dan (the band) for permission. They're very stingy about that I've heard. Like Prince stingy.

I'm still curious if King Crimson will remain when Vento Aureo is finally adapted, since Robert Fripp knows about it (and loves it)
It couldn't hurt to just go straight to him and ask.

Been reading SDC again for the anime.

How the hell did he crank these out on a weekly schedule? Oh sure there's some cut corners, wonky as shit anatomy, and a lot of deliberate close ups, but as a whole it's remarkably detailed. Avdol vs Polnareff in the Garden for instance has some beautiful panels.

Boo Dan of Steel and not Steely Dan
Donald Fagen would legit sue and Dan of Steel is legit.

He even knows how it works. Regarding Steely Dan...I don't think the band itself cares...it's Donald Fagen that's the problem...actually the band itself rotates in and out, I think it's mostly two main people.

cntr

Banned
The best part is that the whole scheme was named "Operation Savage Garden", implying they named it after the pigeon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Anyone's Rightstuf order get updated? I noticed they finally put the order on my account & they charged me for the Blu-ray, plus it says they have it in stock & my status is "processing shipment"

Grexeno

Anyone's Rightstuf order get updated? I noticed they finally put the order on my account & they charged me for the Blu-ray, plus it says they have it in stock & my status is "processing shipment"
Mine did too. Of course they tried charging my old card.

Vol 4 of Jojonium is arriving today and I just realized my horrible mistake, I'm going to have to shift my whole damn manga bookshelf for it. That row right now is all of HxH and all of Jojoniums, there is no more room anywhere for another manga let alone the bulky Jojonium.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Status is now "billed" & I even got a tracking number, seems they shipped yesterday. Now I just hope I get it by the end of the week.

Top Bottom