• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker ReviewS: Masterpiece Level

Time kicked him in the nuts in their review. The movie looks very interesting however. From the time it was announced I never thought it could be done.

Time kicked him in the nuts in their review. The movie looks very interesting however. From the time it was announced I never thought it could be done.

Making this into an "incel" movie was probably not what the movie was about. Since I read that the Joker was even raped in his childhood in this movie it would explain a lot of "terrible performance". But I guess the Time already had their mind set up before even watching it.

Falcs

Banned
Does he end up actually looking like "The Joker" in the movie rather than just a generic clown?
Just curious.

Mistake

Sorry to derail a bit, but didn’t joker get something that made him immortal in the comics? Is that also in the movie? I’m behind The Great Firewall and can’t wiki it

sol_bad

Joker is always changing in the comics from what I have read. This film honestly just seems to be about a mentally unwell man, not necessarily really Joker but they called it that for marketing purposes. I haven't read any of the reviews though so I could be wrong and there might be actual real hooks into the Joker mythology and the Wayne's.

Does he end up actually looking like "The Joker" in the movie rather than just a generic clown?
Just curious.

How does he look like a generic clown? And what defines "The Joker"? Is it the scars? Or the constant smile?

His design is quite specific, and very clever, its similar to the infamous killer John Wayne Gacy, and theres quite a good reason to have this facepaint design, rather than any other, clowns stopped using designs with sharp edges, as most people would find those sharp edges (like the diamond shape on his eyes) very disturbing. Also, his design, most of the time, is quite asymmetrical, which is in direct contrast to our standards of beauty, and further explores his mental state.

SpiceRacz

Sorry to say but Time Burton seems to be a bit of a shit director these days. I haven't seen Big Eyes yet but apart from that, his last good film was Corpse Bride back in 2005.

Agreed. Though, Big Eyes is actually really good. Dumbo on the other hand was horrible.

Falcs

Banned
How does he look like a generic clown? And what defines "The Joker"? Is it the scars? Or the constant smile?

His design is quite specific, and very clever, its similar to the infamous killer John Wayne Gacy, and theres quite a good reason to have this facepaint design, rather than any other, clowns stopped using designs with sharp edges, as most people would find those sharp edges (like the diamond shape on his eyes) very disturbing. Also, his design, most of the time, is quite asymmetrical, which is in direct contrast to our standards of beauty, and further explores his mental state.

I think he looks generic because of the red nose, the eyebrows and the eye make up. The Joker generally doesn't have these.
If you had showed me that picture before I knew anything about this movie would never have guessed that's The Joker.
Personally I don't like the look, but it won't stop me seeing the movie. Maybe it'll change my mind.

I think he looks generic because of the red nose, the eyebrows and the eye make up. The Joker generally doesn't have these.
If you had showed me that picture before I knew anything about this movie would never have guessed that's The Joker.
Personally I don't like the look, but it won't stop me seeing the movie. Maybe it'll change my mind.

It is a new take on the character, but theres still a few traits that are similar to the original design, such as the green hair or the suit. I think the Heath Ledger joker, as fantastic as it is, is very very different than the original design, and jared leto's design (as awfull as it is) , is also quite different .

Im very excited for the movie, JP is one of my all time favourite actors, and looking at his take on the joker, on a more realistic and grittier way, is something I've been excited about for a long time. Im sure its gonna be amazing.

That's the intent I believe.

They're not trying to bring to life the character from the comics. If you want to mirror what's in the comics you go to Mark Hamill.

What's going on here is a potential real world version of a comic book character is being extracted, filtering out anything outlandish.

Batman will never exist in Todd Phillip's universe.

This is a movie about a real world man with a clown occupation who flies off the handle.

I'd look at that image and think the same. That doesn't look like the joker, but I'd also think "Damn, that's like a real world version of Joker".

sol_bad

To fight back woke reviews from Rottentomatoes, Joker movie use their outrage to mock them. Hilarious.

It's at 70 on Metacritic and 75 on Rottentomatoes. Masterpiece indeed.
That David Enrich reviewer sounds like a complete tosser. Says the film is aimed at incels, calls the director a glorified edgelord, mentions Marvel critics and calls the people who will like the film DC fanboys.
Jesus.

It's at 70 on Metacritic and 75 on Rottentomatoes. Masterpiece indeed.
That David Enrich reviewer sounds like a complete tosser. Says the film is aimed at incels, calls the director a glorified edgelord, mentions Marvel critics and calls the people who will like the film DC fanboys.
Jesus.

I just don't get these people. Do they think that no movie should allowed to be about bad people on the off chance someone could sympathize with them?

What even is this shit:

David Enrich said:
“Joker” is the human-sized and adult-oriented comic book movie that Marvel critics have been clamoring for — there’s no action, no spandex, no obvious visual effects, and the whole thing is so gritty and serious that DCEU fanboys will feel as if they’ve died and seen the Snyder Cut — but it’s also the worst-case scenario for the rest of the film world, as it points towards a grim future in which the inmates have taken over the asylum, and even the most repulsive of mid-budget character studies can be massive hits (and Oscar contenders) so long as they’re at least tangentially related to some popular intellectual property. The next “Lost in Translation” will be about Black Widow and Howard Stark spending a weekend together at a Sokovia hotel; the next “Carol” will be an achingly beautiful period drama about young Valkyrie falling in love with a blonde woman she meets in an Asgardian department store.

He makes "Lost in Translation" with superheroes like a bad thing. Exploring characters IS interesting. That is the kind of thing good movies do, regardless of what the character is. And wanting that is not "Snyder-esque", nor is liking a dark movie (which, you know, a movie about a psychopathic clown villain is probably going to be by default).

David Enrich said:
While “Joker” often plays like a beat-for-beat remake of “The King of Comedy,” that movie was about a talentless man who was convinced that he was special; this movie, by contrast, is about a talented man who swallows the red pill and becomes convinced that nobody is.

That is not what "red pill" means. That is called the "black pill" i.e. accepting nihilism.

David Enrich said:
But Phillips, stuck between reinventing the superhero movie from the ground up and throwing a cheap disguise on the same dumb origin story we’ve already seen 1,000 times, needs his Joker to be both the light and the dark, the yin and yang, the only sane man in a world gone mad.

I'm not even a comics guy, but I know that the origin of the Joker has never really been told. We got a story once about a failed comedian getting mixed up with the mob and that is basically it. This is not that story, so how has it been seen "1,000 times"?

Also, the Joker has been described as "super sane" in the comics:

Which basically means that he is reactive only to circumstances he finds himself in, rather than having any consistent prescribed notions of morality or cultural norms.

Last edited:

Stimpak

That's what I'm worried about. That it's a character study about a mentally I'll man and it doesn't actually touch on any of Jokers actual origins. Basically the films name could literally be anything, but they called it Joker for brand recognition.

Even if it's a great film, I'll still be conflicted if this happens.

This is how I felt about IT: chapter 2 for similar reasons. muschietti dips his toes in the waters of the source material, but then completely goes his own way by ignoring what makes pennywise unique.

sol_bad

This is how I felt about IT: chapter 2 for similar reasons. muschietti dips his toes in the waters of the source material, but then completely goes his own way by ignoring what makes pennywise unique.

I haven't read the book so didn't know this. I haven't read a novel in general for a long time actually. I have heard opinions say that the novel would be hard to translate faithfully to the screen.

If getting a 90 or above on RT means making safe tripe sign me up for movies under 80% from now on.

This is simply untrue, there are many unsafe films throughout the years that have had critical acclaim.

I haven't read the book so didn't know this. I haven't read a novel in general for a long time actually. I have heard opinions say that the novel would be hard to translate faithfully to the screen.

This is simply untrue, there are many unsafe films throughout the years that have had critical acclaim.

Depends on what you mean by "unsafe" I tend to find the real classics often don't get universal praise until time has gone by, with rare exceptions.

Ixiah

Banned
Dont worry about the bad reviews, the Moron Brigade thinks People are stupid and will use this Movie as an Instruction Video as how to rise up against them, so they are giving it bad reviews.
Kinda funny, that they believe Humans are THAT easily to manipulate, makes you think what it does say about their Propaganda material, i mean News....

Last edited:

HoodWinked

i'll admit when the teaser came out i was like WTF is WB/DC its like they're bungling an opportunity to have a cohesive DC universe. This Joker doesn't really fit in anywhere.

but maybe its just that WB/DC are simply incapable of following marvel's blueprint due to higher ups being so incompetent but despite that creatives are still fully capable of creating a film own. so maybe the lesson is WB/DC is just better off having disjointed films.

brap

Banned
i'll admit when the teaser came out i was like WTF is WB/DC its like they're bungling an opportunity to have a cohesive DC universe. This Joker doesn't really fit in anywhere.

but maybe its just that WB/DC are simply incapable of following marvel's blueprint due to higher ups being so incompetent but despite that creatives are still fully capable of creating a film own. so maybe the lesson is WB/DC is just better off having disjointed films.
Does it matter? Joker will easily be better than cartoon disney superhero movie for children #213

They made a press release stating they have no interested in an interconnected universe any more, they said all films can pretty much do as they please, this includes sequels to films not needing to care what happened last time. Look at Chris Pine being alive in Wonder Woman 84

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

DC is pure kino. We may have standalone films but if you want an expanded universe you got

- DC Animated Universe (Batman, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League)
- DC Animated Movie Universe (Justice League War, Throne of Atlantis, Judas Contract, Justice League DARK, Doomsday, e.t.c)
- Arrowverse (Green Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow)
- Young Justice

416Sc8Dz4pL.jpg

Feels good bros

sol_bad

Imagine unironically believing hampering the creativity of your writers/directors to fit into a bigger universe is a good thing.

Not sure why but doing a single cohesive universe seems to be complicated. Even the recent Hobbs and Shaw film is a bit "bleh" compared to the actual proper series. WB them selves have absolutely no direction either when it comes to their shared universe, with Jeffrey Wright being cast as Jim Gordon, the new Batman films are also separate from that shared universe.
I'm not saying that Joker and The Batman are bad things, it's good that the directors are being given creative freedom and if WB can't get their shit together it is best for them to stick to solo films and forget about their shared universe.

I'm more interested than ever to see what happens with Wonder Woman 84, Aquaman 2 and the Flash film that never gets made.
One thing I will say is weird is that Man of Steel and Batman V Superman started off in "darker" territory. Then with Wonder Woman, Justice League, Aquaman and Shazam they tried to copy the MCU formula. Then with Joker they have gone back to even darker territory. I don't understand why with the last 4 DC films they tried to be more light hearted. Why didn't they stick to their guns and stay with the "darker" tone throughout?

Regarding Joker specifically, I'll say what I said earlier in the thread. This film so far still feels like it could be about any random person with a mental disorder and they just slapped the name of Joker on for marketing purposes. We'll finally get to see it next week though, so excite.

I don't care much for that marketing argument, same could have been said about Tim Burton's film considering all the changes if we really want to go that far. It's especially weird attitude considering we're dealing with comic book films, comic books are rife with one-offs, alternate timeline stories, what if scenarios and various different versions of characters from different creative talents. There isn't one universe in the Marvel or DC comics but the movies should represent one? Why? Why do only comics get to have fun with all these absurd different takes? Some of the things exciting me about the Joker movie are elements that were they in a movie not called Joker it'd just be assaulted with complaints that it's ripping Joker off.

thequestion

They made a press release stating they have no interested in an interconnected universe any more, they said all films can pretty much do as they please, this includes sequels to films not needing to care what happened last time. Look at Chris Pine being alive in Wonder Woman 84

The Chris Pine being “alive”, is actually a nod to the old Wonder Women tv show. The first season of that show, takes place during WW2 and Steve Trevor is helping Wonder Women. The second season of that show, takes place in modern times and again, the same actor playing Steve Trevor is helping Wonder Women except he’s not the same guy - he’s a relative who just looks exactly his ancestor.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s what WB is doing with WW 84’.

The Chris Pine being “alive”, is actually a nod to the old Wonder Women tv show. The first season of that show, takes place during WW2 and Steve Trevor is helping Wonder Women. The second season of that show, takes place in modern times and again, the same actor playing Steve Trevor is helping Wonder Women except he’s not the same guy - he’s a relative who just looks exactly his ancestor.

I could be wrong, but I think that’s what WB is doing with WW 84’.

Could be, but like I said they have admitted publicly continuity isn't their main goal.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
But this movie is going to radicalize the children! Think of the children! Looks great though. Cant wait to see it. Hopefully I wont beat my lefty girlfriend afterwards. Pray for me.

Chittagong

Gold Member
just booked tix for myself and the mrs for next weekend.

buying whatever Era screeches about has proven a much better predictor of quality than any reviews - Catherine Full Body, Ion Fury, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and now, Joker

Grinchy

Banned
First, imagine how low the bar is set for someone to get a job as a writer for any website.

Then, stop putting any stock in reviews for anything.

GV82

So they are saying on social media that there’s metal detectors & bag checks for this movie in place just in case.

Man imagine being at WB or even being Stephen King right now and realise Penywise is not the most scariest clown this year in the Cinema.

The Joker has the USA shook.

Congrats Todd Phillips on making Warner Bros most Scariest Horror Movie of the year. Bill Skarsgard sorry buddy but it turns out your clown is tame next to Joaquin Phoenix.

sol_bad

Movie was damn good in every conceivable way. Sure as shit is beautiful to look at too. Not anywhere near as gruesome as that other thread about the leaked clips lead me to believe. Phoenix was damn brilliant too. And I love the soundtrack.

Speaking of which, does anyone have links to those leaked clips? I'm curious to see what they are now that I've seen the fil1m.

Top Bottom