• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker ReviewS: Masterpiece Level

Astral Dog

It was solid but not even the best Clown movie coming this week according to Rotten
images

Wrinkles has it in the bag

oagboghi2

Let's not start that shit in this thread but is that video really trying to sting the MCU?
Congratz WB/DC on finally making a great film 11 years after The Dark Knight? It took you some time but you finally got there.
Interesting that 11 years and billions of dollars later Marvel has yet to make a movie as good as the Dark Knight. I guess that what happens when you have a director who wants to make compelling art versus a roller coaster

Interesting that 11 years and billions of dollars later Marvel has yet to make a movie as good as the Dark Knight. I guess that what happens when you have a director who wants to make compelling art versus a roller coaster

i'll take a pile of decent to good movies over the shit that DC has been putting out since Bale left the Batman franchise

but i digress, on vacation this week and can't wait to see this

Let's not start that shit in this thread but is that video really trying to sting the MCU?
Congratz WB/DC on finally making a great film 11 years after The Dark Knight? It took you some time but you finally got there.

The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Batman V Superman (director's cut), Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Joker is maybe the best since Nolan was doing these flicks but not the first great film in 11 years and I'd argue when it comes to GREATNESS MCU has far fewer offerings especially percentage-wise. Their films are often far messier even when they near greatness, like how Civil War could have been great without bad stuff like the airport nonsense and honestly... the Civil War itself... a film about Cap, Bucky and Iron Man would have been leaner and better.

You said let's not start that shit in this thread but you know... you kinda said some shit that can't be ignored. It's the "PS4 has no games" of comic book movies to pretend DC only has TDK for great films.

oagboghi2

The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Batman V Superman (director's cut), Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Joker is maybe the best since Nolan was doing these flicks but not the first great film in 11 years and I'd argue when it comes to GREATNESS MCU has far fewer offerings especially percentage-wise. Their films are often far messier even when they near greatness, like how Civil War could have been great without bad stuff like the airport nonsense and honestly... the Civil War itself... a film about Cap, Bucky and Iron Man would have been leaner and better.

You said let's not start that shit in this thread but you know... you kinda said some shit that can't be ignored. It's the "PS4 has no games" of comic book movies to pretend DC only has TDK for great films.
Man of Steel, Batman V Superman (director's cut), Wonder Woman and Aquaman are not great films either. Argubably worse than mcu movies

Man of Steel, Batman V Superman (director's cut), Wonder Woman and Aquaman are not great films either. Argubably worse than mcu movies

I'm all about arguing, though and that's exactly what I'd do for each of those films. The worst of those for me is Aquaman and I'd take it's visual splendor any day over dull films like Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
My sister and I went to see it on friday, and we were expecting a big line. But the theater was almost empty. After I was done seeing the movie I understood why. The acting is superb, but it's not a good movie imo. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings by saying this. Artistically it's brilliant. I'm not gonna be watching it again.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
My sister and I went to see it on friday, and we were expecting a big line. But the theater was almost empty. After I was done seeing the movie I understood why. The acting is superb, but it's not a good movie imo. Hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings by saying this. Artistically it's brilliant. I'm not gonna be watching it again.

NO GIRLS ALLOWED

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
The biggest problem with the MCU movies is they seem to think the more characters they throw at you the better it makes the movie.

Paracelsus

SpiceRacz

How is it not a good movie in your opinion? I think in almost every measurable way, it's a good film. The only major complaint I really had with it is that it's pretty slow.

Cato

Banned
Since everyone is posting spoilers. Here goes.

There is a very important scene towards the end that will shape all of what later happens.
While the encounter is not canon, when it happens they SHOULD have included a short 2-3 second clip where some pearls are bouncing on the pavement and then falling through the grates into the sewer.
That part is VERY important to later story arcs.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I thought it was great. As much as I loved Ledger's Joker, I immediately became attached to Joaquin Phoenix's take on the role in Arthur Fleck. My heart broke for him through every torment...especially his emotional and physical struggle while dealing with Pseudobulbar affect.

The acting, the pace, the soundtrack, and the rest of the cinematography were all fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite films of the year.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
How is it not a good movie in your opinion? I think in almost every measurable way, it's a good film. The only major complaint I really had with it is that it's pretty slow.
For me the slowness is part of the appeal. It’s the literal opposite of the ADHD filmmaking we’ve seen ever since The Matrix. It’s a patient film that treats you like a grown up. I love it for that.

For me the slowness is part of the appeal. It’s the literal opposite of the ADHD filmmaking we’ve seen ever since The Matrix. It’s a patient film that treats you like a grown up. I love it for that.
Todd Phillip's said in an interview that there was a lot of footage that ended up not being used because he prefers a tighter film. But I hope he releases an extended cut because I'd love to just simmer in Arthur's world for another extra hour or even two.

VulcanRaven

There were some things I didn't like. Spoilers:

I think the Wayne family appeared a bit too much. The movie would have worked well without them too. It looks like this won't be connected to the future Batman movies so the scene near the end could have been cut.

Last edited:
People who call names to the ones who loved the film are beyond full-retard.

Joker is a masterpiece. Not a "hero movie" , though. It's a drama / tragedy based on a fictional comic book character. Best movie of the year, best performance and best direction.

Deal with it, haters.

mcjmetroid

Agreed me too.

The only part that I thought was odd was
The part with his lady friend. I feel like a few scenes were deleted from. I feel like if they pushed their fake relationship a little more, had a few more emotional moments together then the reveal of her being imaginery would have had more impact

Woo-Fu

Banned
At this point you could cast Joaqim as the role of a turd and critics would still praise him/the movie. When will we fucking move on from this metacritic/RT critics bullshit? They're never ever what the general audience prefers.
The general audience prefers a never-ending stream of Michael Bay blockbusters. You don't need critics, or a metacritic to tell you that. You might want a metacritic to let you know how something performs across all audiences, though.

There really is no moving on from what metacritic does. Everything is connected now. If there are critics there is going to be a metacritic. As far as the industry using it, they did that before metacritic existed, they just ran the numbers themselves.

Teslerum

Aquaman was good and Shazam was fantastic.

Thought it was pretty great. Only thing I really didn't like was when it's revealed that he's not really dating the black chick - the flashbacks were really unnecessary. Her dialogue was enough, but I guess test audiences were too retarded or something

But yeah, I'd love to see Joaquin as Joker again, he was awesome.

Agreed me too.

The part with his lady friend. I feel like a few scenes were deleted from. I feel like if they pushed their fake relationship a little more, had a few more emotional moments together then the reveal of her being imaginery would have had more impact

this gives you some insight about the thing you mentioned
anyone who didn't see the movie don't watch this yet

Doczu

Agreed me too.

or they could just make it look like their relationship would go from before the movie starts. Or if they cut the passionate kiss scene. This one was way obvious something is wrong

ZQsfELS.jpg

Seeing this in 1 hour myself with my brother, no GFs allowed.
I took my unborn son to see this masterpiece, am i a good father figure? 🤔

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
The biggest problem with the MCU movies is they seem to think the more characters they throw at you the better it makes the movie.

I think that is kind of true for a decent chunk of the audience though.

If Marvel is releasing 2 or 3 movies per calendar year and a big focus is on diversity and representation then they have to include as many characters as possible across as many movies as possible. Otherwise there are rumblings that the movies "aren't doing enough" in that regard.

The aim of Marvel movies and the recent Star Wars movies literally seems to be to provide a little something for everyone.
The only way to really do that is to have tons of characters in tons of different scenarios.

I really thought that The Last Jedi, and Avengers Endgame were WAY too lighthearted considering the pretty heavy subject matter.
The studios kind of painted themselves into a corner though where they have to be aware of who is getting screen-time and dialogue and if the story is "problematic" and so on.

People are going to those movies looking to see "people like me" up on the screen or, for the straight white American majority, to bask in the feel good factor of seeing "minorities given their chance at last". So it follows that we need to fill the screen with different characters to satisfy that demand.

To be honest it's the only way I can wrap my head around the negative backlash to Joker.
It's a movie about a straight white male villain and he's pretty much the only character in the whole thing.
Therefore it's a movie FOR people like that.

Like some already pointed out the things i didn't like were:

The imaginary girlfriend flashback. Her dialogue was enough. But i know even with flashbacks some people won't get it.
The other thing was Bruce's parents being killed. Did we really need to see it again? And joker being partially to blame similar to 89's batman?

Loved the movie. I'd love to see what happens next but at the same time i hope it's a one and done.

Is Joker supposed to be way older than Batman?
I think it doesn't matter. Joker wasn't supposed to be a regular guy with make up either. This is more of a else world scenario.

Anyway i think i remember reading theories that the joker Jared Leto played was actually Jason Todd. Joaquin's joker could have been the original who tortured and drove Jason insane.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

This was a similar feeling both me and my wife had. I directly asked her if she'd see it again but once you've experienced it, is there more to experience? It's one very sad and dark rabbit hole with no happy conclusions.

Amazing to watch one time but there's nothing feel-good about this story.

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member
Normally no, he's not that older. He could be even younger, depending on the arc 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's probably for the best no one thinks of the Joker as person, he's more of an entity. He basically possessed Robin to be reborn in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Top Bottom