• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joker ReviewS: Masterpiece Level

Doczu

It's probably for the best no one thinks of the Joker as person, he's more of an entity. He basically possessed Robin to be reborn in Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
it's prolly not wise to think of him as an entity, he's human all the way through

we're all arthur fleck, everyone in this thread is capable of ultra violence

Well even one batman comic storyline confirms there are (were) more than 1 Joker, each with their own mindset, which even works well with tue different type of Jokers in the movies.

Panda1

Banned
This should never have been called Joker. Its basically an update on Taxi Driver / Kings of Comedy.
There was absolutely nothing that could have not made this a standalone movie - but it would not get any hype and made a art house style box office. The movie was great - but not many people would watch it if it was not DC Joker branded.

Also WOW I REALLY NEEDED TO SEE THE WAYNES SHOT AGAIN HOW CLEVER!

At the end of the movie he becomes the joker - but thats like saying Star Wars ROTS is a darth vader movie. There was no actual Joker stuff - no master criminal or any plot.

If it was called something else 4/5 Starts
Joker Movie - 2 / 5 stars and the 2 is for the JP acting.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
What did you guys think of the writers leaving the fate of Arthur's love interest and her child unknown?

Panda1

Banned
What did you guys think of the writers leaving the fate of Arthur's love interest and her child unknown?

Completely irrelevant. It was just showing he was having hallucinations, there was nothing suggested that he would kill or harm them, but that he was confused and left the flat. It does not make much sense in the context of the film that he murders her randomly.
I think it was more about that he imagined for himself the support he is not getting

JimiNutz

Banned
Completely irrelevant. It was just showing he was having hallucinations, there was nothing suggested that he would kill or harm them, but that he was confused and left the flat. It does not make much sense in the context of the film that he murders her randomly.
I think it was more about that he imagined for himself the support he is not getting

I didn't think that he killed them either but my gf said that there was blood on him when they showed him leaving the flat?
I certainly didn't see any and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else so I think she's mistaken.

daveonezero

Banned
It was a good movie but I lost interest in jokers origin story pretty quickly.
There were some big flaws that took me out of the movie. 7 shots to kill the three guys, “Wall Street is in Gotham? And something else but those were elements that were overlooked

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member
It was a good movie but I lost interest in jokers origin story pretty quickly.
There were some big flaws that took me out of the movie. 7 shots to kill the three guys, “Wall Street is in Gotham? And something else but those were elements that were overlooked

But it was his first time using a gun to kill and he also just learned the proper meaning of a beat down (by three adults simultaneously, anyway), if he was flawless it would be unrealistic, and Gotham was a nickname for New York before Batman even happened
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/gotham-metropolis-nyc-best-nicknames-article-1.2556511

sol_bad

This should never have been called Joker. Its basically an update on Taxi Driver / Kings of Comedy.
There was absolutely nothing that could have not made this a standalone movie - but it would not get any hype and made a art house style box office. The movie was great - but not many people would watch it if it was not DC Joker branded.

At the end of the movie he becomes the joker - but thats like saying Star Wars ROTS is a darth vader movie. There was no actual Joker stuff - no master criminal or any plot.

As amazing as the film is, I can agree with what your saying.
Remove the final scene with the Waynes, give Thomas Wayne a different name and change Arthur's tick to something else other than a maniacal laugh and all "identity" and "relations" to Joker are gone.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

That's right Jay!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The media won't stop going after this film, and it's clear to see why. It's just the next thing they can use to promote their agenda against the straight white male.

Like some already pointed out the things i didn't like were:

The imaginary girlfriend flashback. Her dialogue was enough. But i know even with flashbacks some people won't get it.
The other thing was Bruce's parents being killed. Did we really need to see it again? And joker being partially to blame similar to 89's batman?

Loved the movie. I'd love to see what happens next but at the same time i hope it's a one and done.

I think it doesn't matter. Joker wasn't supposed to be a regular guy with make up either. This is more of a else world scenario.

Anyway i think i remember reading theories that the joker Jared Leto played was actually Jason Todd. Joaquin's joker could have been the original who tortured and drove Jason insane.

I have a feeling we will see more Batman villain stand alone movies. I am hoping for "Riddler" and "Penguin".

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I can't stop thinking about it. Im going to have to see it again. That performance and character transformation was stunningly chilling. My only disappointment was in myself, by spoiling some great scenes that would have been better left unwatched until first viewing.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Remove the final scene with the Waynes, give Thomas Wayne a different name and change Arthur's tick to something else other than a maniacal laugh and all "identity" and "relations" to Joker are gone.
And the movie would only make a quarter of the profits.... if that.

sol_bad

And the movie would only make a quarter of the profits.... if that.

Yes, which is very unfortunate.
It's depressing that people complain about there being no original films but at the same time they don't support those original ideas at the cinema.

I mean, yeah, that’s true. This is a character study concerned with mental healthcare, not a comic book movie. It basically uses the Joker as frontman for the real issues the movie is trying to “talk about.”

I want to see this movie, but the seemingly divided love/hate makes it feel like a 50/50 camble as to whether or not I'll enjoy it. I don't go to the movies often...except for marvel movies. Yes I love some like a good deal tolerate some and hate a few, but some of them are gems that shine radiantly upon my comic book filled heart. I do go for movies that will have a good chance of winning me over me over with a strong and well written plot, excellent scene imagery and amazing actors who are passionate about their roles and bring them to almost literal life with their unbelievable performances. The problem is, I don't remember the last time I went to a potential trifecta film that landed and just pulled me in from start to finish.

My main feeling of being grabbed from start to end is having my attention glued to the film and be almost immune to every kind of external stimuli drawing my attention away from my experience. It almost feels like a trance state. The Godfather, probably overly done with the praise it receives just sucks me in every time I watch it. Im probably at about 65 viewings of Godfather.

I want to see this movie, but the seemingly divided love/hate makes it feel like a 50/50 camble as to whether or not I'll enjoy it. I don't go to the movies often...except for marvel movies. Yes I love some like a good deal tolerate some and hate a few, but some of them are gems that shine radiantly upon my comic book filled heart. I do go for movies that will have a good chance of winning me over me over with a strong and well written plot, excellent scene imagery and amazing actors who are passionate about their roles and bring them to almost literal life with their unbelievable performances. The problem is, I don't remember the last time I went to a potential trifecta film that landed and just pulled me in from start to finish.

My main feeling of being grabbed from start to end is having my attention glued to the film and be almost immune to every kind of external stimuli drawing my attention away from my experience. It almost feels like a trance state. The Godfather, probably overly done with the praise it receives just sucks me in every time I watch it. Im probably at about 65 viewings of Godfather.

This thread hasn't been 50/50 at all, you should trust us above filthy critics.

This thread hasn't been 50/50 at all, you should trust us above filthy critics.
Yeah I saw splashes of that whole divide shtick pop up regarding Joker. That's why the seemingly is in there. I was skeptical about it being a split. It is kind of sad that rock solid and well constructed and thought out reviews for cinema (like MCU movies which are cinema. :messenger_halo::messenger_smiling_horns:) titles is a rarity. Bias can be an infectious and nasty thing. Movie reviews are consistently ruined by an overbearing amount of personal bias on the critic's part. Obvious positive traits seen in a film seem to be outright ignored sometimes.

kunonabi

Joker's script is pretty weak so you can scratch that right off. It tries to do a lot but it doesn't really put in the work to really achieve what it wants. Its visuals are mostly strong and Phoenix's performance is great but the role is pretty underwritten so even that starts to fizzle out near the end despite his best efforts to save it. Nobody else gets anything to work with though. However, if some Marvel movies are an example of your trifecta than Joker should match up well enough.

Yeah I saw splashes of that whole divide shtick pop up regarding Joker. That's why the seemingly is in there. I was skeptical about it being a split. It is kind of sad that rock solid and well constructed and thought out reviews for cinema (like MCU movies which are cinema. :messenger_halo::messenger_smiling_horns:) titles is a rarity. Bias can be an infectious and nasty thing. Movie reviews are consistently ruined by an overbearing amount of personal bias on the critic's part. Obvious positive traits seen in a film seem to be outright ignored sometimes.

It's pure cinema, makes MCU look like the product it is. It might not doing anything groundbreaking for dramas, nothing it does is exactly revolutionary in the context of films like Taxi Driver, A Clockwork Orange and King of Comedy existing... but for comic book movies? Easily the most transcendent entry and it will totally change the face of comic book cinema. This is like if they came out with a Transformers movie that was as good as Terminator 2.

Joker's script is pretty weak so you can scratch that right off. It tries to do a lot but it doesn't really put in the work to really achieve what it wants. Its visuals are mostly strong and Phoenix's performance is great but the role is pretty underwritten so even that starts to fizzle out near the end despite his best efforts to save it. Nobody else gets anything to work with though. However, if some Marvel movies are an example of your trifecta than Joker should match up well enough.

Nah. Marvel movies dont hit the trifecta. Those just sometimes, hit the mark in terms of complimenting my 30+ years of reading marvel comics and the entertainment I got out of them. Hehe, Im never going to peg a marvel move for having fantastic writing. or strong and memorable performances by actors.

Shame about the joker script being on the lower quality side. I was hoping this would be one I would be able to enjoy and not get distracted. But hey. Who knows. Maybe some of the movies that do nail that trifecta have great writing or great acting in my eyes, but are legit shit in either or both categories. Good thing is one can't rely on the opinion of others and have a 100% solid idea of how he/she will feel about the movie and how much he/she will like it. I'm just gonna go see it and hope for the best.

Moses85

Such a masterpiece! Incredible movie!

OST reminds me of The Last of us.

Hopefully Terminator Dark Fate will deliver also!

Just saw it last night. Really brilliant movie 4/5 imo. JP deserves an oscar for his performance no doubt about it. One of my favorite parts was how chilling and haunting the musical score was. I couldn't help but feel bad for Arthur through most of the movie but I strangely felt that some of his murders didn't bother me. What I think is most powerful about this film is its stance on our society how we often turn a blind eye to people down on their luck and as Arthur says you would never think about a person like me dying on the street, yet three rich white boys murdered gets the media in an uproar. I think the main message of the film is about treating our fellow humans with decency because we never know what is going on in that person's life.

If you look at the cases of many mass shooters most are victims of abuse from their parents and society, which leads them to commit such horrible acts of violence. I remember watching a TED talks about how a guy almost shot up his school but the only reason he didn't was because one friend showed him the compassion he needed, even when he didn't deserve it. Really powerful stuff the speech was. This movie could not be more relevant at this time.

it's prolly not wise to think of him as an entity, he's human all the way through

we're all arthur fleck, everyone in this thread is capable of ultra violence
Perfect

I hear things like "that's when he stops being Arthur and starts being joker"

Oh "that's when joker is born"

No

He was consistently Arthur all throughout

When he does what he does at the end, that's still Arthur

He's pushed over the edge but he's still Arthur

This was a truly adult treatment of the character

Mahadev

The movie was good but worse than I expected and my main problem with it was that it often lacked subtlety. The first half or 2/3 of the movie is just bad things happening to the character with a couple of very expected surprises and a Joker having no control over what's happening, it wasn't subtle at all or imo very interesting, just one incident after another. The last part though is where the movie and the character truly shine, I just wish the editing and pacing was better before that. I don't say it often but what this movie really needs is a sequel, it managed to tie all those things that happened at the beginning of the movie together into a great character that unfortunately didn't exist in most of the movie.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Today I saw the movie, my honest opinion is that it is a good movie, but it should not be seen as a Batman movie, but it is of the category "art film", I liked it and I give it a 9, to be honest " It is not a movie that you have to leave the movie theater "It is violent and shows the inhuman form of civilization yes, there are death scenes that are strong, that is an adult movie, so neither for children or adolescents.

What they say "I have to leave the cinema for how grotesque it is" or they are exaggerating or trying to get attention.

Last edited:
Saw it today, loved it.

The curse of the neverending stream of shitty DC movies has finally been lifted, and they did it without Christian Bale

Couple unanswered things for me, will post them later in spoiler tags to see what others thought

royox

Phoenix's acting was 10/10 no doubt but the movie was boring and very predictable. If it wasn't called JOKER nobody would give a f*ck about it here.

MayauMiao

Media still butthurt by Joker success as they constantly write shitty articles about it but little do these fools realize they actually help to promote the movie with their virtue signalling outrage.

VulcanRaven

Phienix was very good as Joker. I don't think any other comic character has had this many great performances: John Nicholson, Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix.

Last edited:
Top Bottom