• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Nolan adapting Isaac Asimov's FOUNDATION for HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

I doubt that this show would be very successful. Too much of the action is just a few people in a room talking to each other. While Foundation is very famous, it's not a very visually stimulating series.

This is why I think it might be really cool as a show. All the specifics in the books are totally glossed over, which means an adaption could really delve in and go much deeper, and render the material in a whole new light.

I'm hoping they don't even try to be especially faithful to the narrative structure of the books. The story in the books is so compressed they sometimes cover several years in a couple of pages. In the show, those years could stretch out over several episodes, or even several seasons..

They should just use the basic storyline and the vibe of the universe as a framework and build character drama on top of the bones.

Seanspeed

Banned
Interesting.

Will keep an eye out on it. Although I read Foundation(just the first book) and found it pretty forgettable. Maybe it was better for its time?

Interesting.

Will keep an eye out on it. Although I read Foundation(just the first book) and found it pretty forgettable. Maybe it was better for its time?

No, it might just not have been for you. I read it first in the 90s and still loved it.

I thought the Ender series after Game and Shadow and the Dune series after Dune ranged from mediocre to shit. Just a matter of taste.

Kuraudo

Banned
So Science Fiction Deadwood

Nah, Deadwood also had people standing around talking to themselves.

Weird choice. If not for the recent movie, Ender's Game would have been a much better fit. Or if HBO are just looking for a new genre show to replace Game of Thrones once it ends, Hyperion would have lent itself pretty well. Still a new scifi show with HBO's production values will be something to behold.

eot

Banned
Interesting.

I think so, even though I like it for the most part. A lot of old sci-fi is that way in my opinion (not Dune though!). It's worth reading the triolgy though, the books aren't very long.

massoluk

Banned
Interesting.

I can see how the Foundation may not have aged very well. I read it because it's a landmark Scifi series more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom