• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Pie - OUTRAGE in Paradise!

Typhares

Latest video released by Jonathan Pie about how people's outrage follow the news cycle but nothing ever change.

What are GAF thoughts about this?

Personally old GAF used to make me feel unwelcome in part because I never get 'outraged' by almost anything and seeing everyone (on some topics) just commenting 'gross', 'fuck this' or 'fuck that' I felt like an outsider.

It is something I have always wondered about myself though, is my ability to feel detach from events making me a bad person? I mean I feel quite cynic I guess. The world is unfair but I have no intention to fight against it either.

lifa-cobex

It is something I have always wondered about myself though, is my ability to feel detach from events making me a bad person? I mean I feel quite cynic I guess. The world is unfair but I have no intention to fight against it either.

Nope. You're fine.
Spit balling here but I would guess you might be an average person going about your day to day life.

Past few years people have become very wrapped up in headlines and suddenly everyone is an expert in the debate.
I'm sure news company's love it and would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Keep calm and carry on. :)

Dude Abides

Banned
Guy upset about people being outraged about things instead of "taking action" decides to do something about it by...making a youtube video.

Old-gaf is gone despite a few crusty dingle berries still hanging on. Ignore their screams of whatever is popular to be upset about until all their idols are proven to be hypocrites

tkscz

Guy upset about people being outraged about things instead of "taking action" decides to do something about it by...making a youtube video.

Doing more than most of old GAF ever did.

I like Jonathan Pie, but I always felt I could never post him on old GAF because he focuses on the logical side of politics rather than the emotional side. He doesn't care how you feel about it, and is willing to actually take responsibility for things, even if he isn't personally responsible. For him it was about what logically makes sense and what logically can be done, rather than just yelling about it. I just like his opinions, but I couldn't see old GAF liking the guy very much.

Absinthe

I like Jonathan Pie, but I always felt I could never post him on old GAF because he focuses on the logical side of politics rather than the emotional side. He doesn't care how you feel about it, and is willing to actually take responsibility for things, even if he isn't personally responsible. For him it was about what logically makes sense and what logically can be done, rather than just yelling about it. I just like his opinions, but I couldn't see old GAF liking the guy very much.

I like him as well because of this.

His video almost exactly 1 year ago about Trump winning was spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs

Typhares

Nope. You're fine.
Spit balling here but I would guess you might be an average person going about your day to day life.

Past few years people have become very wrapped up in headlines and suddenly everyone is an expert in the debate.
I'm sure news company's love it and would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

Keep calm and carry on. :)

I mean, I know you're right, I think I would be miserable if I took everything 'wrong' or 'sad' thrown at us in an emotional way. But still sometime I have a bit of self doubt.
I don't think we are equipped to be hyper aware of things happening all around especially when 99% of it is focused on negative events.

llien

As a somewhat older person (41) I sometimes feel surprised by reaction of (allegedly) younger people, but it's because things are changing. We are moving into "more things are problematic". Check this chart:

final1.jpg

Sexual harassment, how genders and generations see it (yougov.co.uk) (it is rather unfortunate that men are the only perpetrators in the study)

lifa-cobex

I mean, I know you're right, I think I would be miserable if I took everything 'wrong' or 'sad' thrown at us in an emotional way. But still sometime I have a bit of self doubt.
I don't think we are equipped to be hyper aware of things happening all around especially when 99% of it is focused on negative events.

Yea.
It's not like everyday good general things get reported. example (nurse does 48 hour shift and wants to crack open a cold one at the end).
You might just be more aware that this is normality and its not shocking you.

You're probably more normal than you relies.
It's been well established the posters who have gone off to another forum, would make a mountain out of a mole hill.
It did my head in.

As a somewhat older person (41) I sometimes feel surprised by reaction of (allegedly) younger people, but it's because things are changing. We are moving into "more things are problematic". Check this chart:

final1.jpg

Sexual harassment, how genders and generations see it (yougov.co.uk) (it is rather unfortunate that men are the only perpetrators in the study)

It's really odd. I think people in general need tasks, issues or problems to tackle in their daily lives.
I'm only 30 but I'm well aware that my generation has it far easier in general living standards.
I tend to focus on work and trying to get back into collage to better my life.
I think that's why these "issues" don't phase me in the slightest.

I like him as well because of this.

His video almost exactly 1 year ago about Trump winning was spot on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
This was the first video I saw of him. Good shit.

Dude Abides

Banned

Why are you so obsessed with “old GAF.” Seems like a weird personal issue for you.

Nothing says the “logical side” rather than the “emotional side” like ranting about nothing at the top of your voice. Dude’s nothing but virtue signaling clickbait. But he got your view so good play by him.

lifa-cobex

Why are you so obsessed with “old GAF.” Seems like a weird personal issue for you.

Nothing says the “logical side” rather than the “emotional side” like ranting about nothing at the top of your voice. Dude’s nothing but virtue signaling clickbait. But he got your view so good play by him.

I think by "old gaf", he means the users that went off to restarerea.

MastAndo

Gold Member
How is "asking someone out for a drink" not at 0%, holy shit.
The saddest part is that 10% of men 18-24 think that of that as sexual harassment, while only half of women in that age group do. It's a sign of the time, I suppose.

I'm also really not sure how 60% of the population thinks looking at a woman's breasts is harassment, unless looking means staring. Any heterosexual male is going to glance (i.e. look quickly) if cleavage is within eyeshot.

The saddest part is that 10% of men 18-24 think that of that as sexual harassment, while only half of women in that age group do. It's a sign of the time, I suppose.

I'm also really not sure how 60% of the population thinks looking at a woman's breasts is harassment, unless looking means staring. Any heterosexual male is going to glance (i.e. look quickly) if cleavage is within eyeshot.

If you ask a girl out for a drink then you are basically asking to rape her, because if she drinks she can't consent.

/s

LordRaptor

I used to think millennials had it easy with Tinder being basically easy local fuck buddies, but if 1 in 10 men are scared to approach someone and invite them for a drink because they think that could be considered sexual harrassment.... daaaaaaaaaamn.

gohepcat

Banned

Hate this dude....HATE him.

To me it just exemplifies pseudo-intellectual garbage. Right up there with Stefan Molyneux.

It's just so slickly packaged and ridiculous.

tkscz

Whoa man calm down. Just back in the day, it was hard to post someone like pie without being afraif of being dog piled just for agreeing with the guy. old gaf is just what i call it cause i couldn't think of a better name.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Something always hilarious to me how people are outraged about outrage. He's not even saying anything all that insightful or intelligent unless I'm missing what's so clever about purposefully mixing up the Panama and Paradise Papers. Not too mention his points don't even stick as if nothing's changed because of outrage explain the MeToo campaign and everything around it and what's coming out because of it. But you know, he's talking impassioned and making hot takes left and right, he's gotta be onto something right?

Typhares

Something always hilarious to me how people are outraged about outrage. He's not even saying anything all that insightful or intelligent unless I'm missing what's so clever about purposefully mixing up the Panama and Paradise Papers. Not too mention his points don't even stick as if nothing's changed because of outrage explain the MeToo campaign and everything around it and what's coming out because of it. But you know, he's talking impassioned and making hot takes left and right, he's gotta be onto something right?

I don't think most people are outraged about outrage, personally I'm just tired of it and I try my best to stay clear of it.
I also don't think the whole point of the video is to be so clever or bring out any deep meaning. He's just voicing through a persona what imo a lot of people think too.
Even if we agree that the MeToo caimpaign brought change which I am not convinced of; yes some heads are rolling but is the toxic hollywood environment gone? There are still dozens of example of things simply rolling by. So many stories and scandals that show that politicians/elites are just screwing everyone whenever they can that we should have none of them still in place and yet...

Hate this dude....HATE him.

To me it just exemplifies pseudo-intellectual garbage. Right up there with Stefan Molyneux.

It's just so slickly packaged and ridiculous.

Can I ask who you enjoy listening to?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The fact that people think taxing the rich will do anything is crazy. The rich don't pay taxes so by raising them all you do is fuck over the middle class.

Like, I see actual economists ignore this all the damn time on tv, its infuriating.

All this video (and the Paradise papers) do is remind us again, that the rich don't pay their fair share. But yes, lets raise taxes so everyone can go to college. I mean, the rich can afford it right??!! Ohh its the middle class getting fucked? Oh well, fuck them too.

llien

This kind of deserves new thread, but since newgaf is moving rather slowly, I think it's appropriate to post it here.

An interesting (and quite unusual) take by a women:
http://dailym.ai/2hBFnx6

The way she acted would probably not be possible, if people turtle down, scared by #metoo scandals, so she, in a way, has stakes in it.

One of her points: the current narrative "casts all women as helpless".

She probably wrote it in response to knee touching incident.

Dude Abides

Banned
I just have to credit Mr. Pie for being the first person to think of the brilliant idea of issuing a subpoena for Trump’s tax returns. Truly novel and sublime notion, that one.

LordRaptor

This kind of deserves new thread, but since newgaf is moving rather slowly, I think it's appropriate to post it here.

An interesting (and quite unusual) take by a women:
http://dailym.ai/2hBFnx6

The way she acted would probably not be possible, if people turtle down, scared by #metoo scandals, so she, in a way, has stakes in it.

One of her points: the current narrative "casts all women as helpless".

She probably wrote it in response to knee touching incident.

I'm pretty sure regular daily mail links are banned here because the daily mail is such a shitrag of a so called newspaper, so you should probably be aware of that when reading literally anything it publishes.

gohepcat

Banned
Can I ask who you enjoy listening to?

PBS newshour. NPR. BBC.

Boring shit. The truth is usually pretty boring, or at the very least nuanced.

The real people making public policy are wonky nerds. Most big "democrats" I know are super pragmatic realists working on huge problems like healthcare and the economy. Obama and Hillary were a fucking godsend to these people. They were super smart and could understand complex issues with subtle solutions.

Trump and Sanders were populists. I have no idea how Bernie would have governed, but he was not going to be able to do what he was promising.

Typhares

PBS newshour. NPR. BBC.

Boring shit. The truth is usually pretty boring, or at the very least nuanced.

The real people making public policy are wonky nerds. Most big "democrats" I know are super pragmatic realists working on huge problems like healthcare and the economy. Obama and Hillary were a fucking godsend to these people. They were super smart and could understand complex issues with subtle solutions.

Trump and Sanders were populists. I have no idea how Bernie would have governed, but he was not going to be able to do what he was promising.

I also read 'boring' news outlet. I just don't see why can't both coexist as they seem to have different purpose. One just present hard facts (most times) and the other tries to make some kind of social commentary using an over the top persona.

llien

I'm pretty sure regular daily mail links are banned here because the daily mail is such a shitrag of a so called newspaper, so you should probably be aware of that when reading literally anything it publishes.

Ouch, thanks for the warning.

Wow, physician heal thyself!

It's ironic that he's doing a video about quickly-forgotten 'outrage' when his schtick is to make videos where his character gets outraged at whatever this week's dominant news story is, while offering no solutions and returning to 'business-as-usual' at the end.

I quite like Jonathan Pie as a comedy sketch, but I hate that people seem to use his videos as an intellectual/logical argument or some sort of 'gotcha' that justifies whatever Corbyn's position is.

Fuz

Banned
(it is rather unfortunate that men are the only perpetrators in the study)

Was about to post this same thing.

"A man requesting sexual favours"
A man. Because it doesn't go both ways and women never take pleasure from sexual "favors".

Top Bottom