• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionPride

Banned
Oh, he uploaded it to YouTube? Well, there goes my unsubscription then. I was hoping he'd separate his YouTube channel from this mess, but nope, so fuck him.
So it wasn't the actual racist comments, it was the uploading an unlisted video to his channel?

Can someone explain to me what people like JonTron believe White Culture even is?

Like, past all the obviously racist stuff. What do we have that's at such risk?

Destiny tried for nearly two hours to get him to expand on this argument on that stream. He never could come up with anything.

Codeblue

Yo, I forgot all my dog whistles during the debate, so let me clarify that I meant to use them.

You don't get to go back into the racist closet, Uncle Jon.

Toparaman

Banned
He basically did what Dan Olson parodied a couple days ago.
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/841884691452043267

lol

the guy should keep his political opinions to himself.
especially if you have 4M subs on youtube.
That is basically career suicide.

Nah I think it's impossible to be an apolitical entertainer. People need to realize the happy-go-lucky childlike YouTuber shtick goes hand in hand with a childlike world view. These are grown men who act like preteens for a living. Except it's rarely just an act.

I think it's a bit unfortunate that Arin from the GameGrumps doesn't react in any way to this. I mean yeah, he's an old friend of yours but that old friend of yours is going an extremely shitty way. Calling him out is the least you could do.

hbkdx12

It's funny because I just saw a video from appabend this morning defending Jon and painting destiny as a misinformed, terrible person. Dude literally said if you think JonTron is racist then you're being paranoid

Oh, ok. We're all paranoid.

Boke1879

So a white person saying that white people ruined America for voting trump, is equivalent to the same white person saying that black people ruined America for voting for Obama. Does this guy even know how to properly make analogies?

Of course not. A lot of people like him just say this shit among their community and they all think they sound smart, but when they use that same logic in what should be a factual debate. They fucking look stupid

Sai-kun

Banned
the fact that he had to do a jump cut 4 seconds into the video made me cackle and immediately turn off the video. fuck you bruh.

8n6ZStO.png
8n6ZStO.png

lmaooo

Dropped this guy months ago when he deleted all of his old video game related videos (you know, the ones he built his brand on). This double down just reaffirms my decision.

Huh? I thought he only deleted the shitty list videos. Which were pretty bad to be fair. Lists without meaningful discussion around them are just opinion confirmers/deniers with no real substance.

Kthulhu

It didn't have to be like this Jon. You made it this way, and your non-apology doesn't change shit.

And it's kind of a shame, he's actually pretty funny and really talented. I used to be a big fan and looked forward to his stuff, but I drifted a bit when he stopped uploading as frequently.

Kthulhu

I think it's a bit unfortunate that Arin from the GameGrumps doesn't react in any way to this. I mean yeah, he's an old friend of yours but that old friend of yours is going an extremely shitty way. Calling him out is the least you could do.

I can't really blame him. He probably doesn't want any of Jon's fans to go after him.

Plus if he didn't already know, he's probably devastated.

^ Also did not click the link.

Wait, am i missing something here? Nothing in that article expresses that...

"One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who’s married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided,” he said at a public hearing about the proposal, “we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy."

SilentRob

Here's what I posted as a comment (yeaaaah I know...couldn't help myself)

"I just want ALL americans to stand together, race doesn't matter!"

Interesting. Because a few days back you argued again and again and again that white people must fight against being turned into a minority, that the USA is a "white country" whos culture is being undermined by non-whites, that black people are simply more criminal and dangerous by default (you literally went with "just look to africa!") and that non-whites should slowly, carefully assimiliate into the white "gen pool" if they want to be accepted into society.

Yeah. Fuck off, dude. Don't you fucking dare to blame this on "the media" or on being misunderstood. You were VERY clear. Maybe you don't want to accept it, but you are a racist. Shame on you."

I truly hope he loses a lot of future business opportunities and deals because of this.

Tain

Strg+F Bee
"3 results"
been, been, been

Now what?

been, been, Bee, actually.

The article pretty clearly paints Jason Jones (Samantha Bee's husband) as being against integration and trying to stay out of the spotlight about it, offering absolutely no reasoning outside of "it's not racist, calling it racist is the true bad thing here".

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that Bee shares his views.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It didn't have to be like this Jon. You made it this way, and your non-apology doesn't change shit.

And it's kind of a shame, he's actually pretty funny and really talented. I used to be a big fan and looked forward to his stuff, but I drifted a bit when he stopped uploading as frequently.
Aren't his parents (at least his father) Iranian? Had that phenotype representation turned out a bit different, and he came out a shade or two darker, how likely would he be saying things like this? It reminds me of something my dad told me, that in the early 20th century when countries like the US opened immigration for all Caucasians, Arabs would come over and be told, "sure you're categorised as Caucasian, but you know you're not white white though. Sorry."

UrbanRats

Strg+F Bee
"3 results"
been, been, been

Now what?
One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who’s married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided,” he said at a public hearing about the proposal, “we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy.
Only mentions her husband tho.
---
Also yeah, fuck off Jon, sit down.

Nuu

Banned
Why is it a bad thing that white people are becoming a minority? (which they aren't)

Minorities in America, especially blacks and latinos, tend to come from disadvantage backgrounds and histories. Like most other demographics with such backgrounds in the world, this results in them and their communities being notably more likely to undergo struggles such as poverty, crime, lack of academic performance, etc. Now while the majority of minorities in America don't suffer from all or even one of these things, and they do exist in a spectrum, this isn't how people like JonTron see it.

To them they feel that the core issue with minorities, specifically blacks, latinos, and refugees from brown countries is that they have severe flaws in their culture that just can't be fixed. Due to this, they fear that if minorities keep coming, then by the time their grandchildren will come around America will be much like how they see a country like say Brazil, a nation where the minorities have become the majority and thus a large sum if not the majority of people are violent, lazy, and push crazy politics as well as a delinquent culture.

Where they have things wrong is that they both tend to hilariously exaggerate things and simply don't look at trends. They exaggerate things such as claiming that most black people are poor and on welfare (that number is well below 50%) or the percentage of refugees we take that are terrorists (it's like less than 1% or something). They also do not look at trends such as crime and teen pregnancy going down, or how business starts ups and graduation rates are increasing in these "basketcase communities".

Strg+F Bee
"3 results"
been, been, been

Now what?

Fix your browser?

One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who's married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided," he said at a public hearing about the proposal, ”we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy.

"One P.S. 452 parent speaking out against the move is comedian and former Daily Show correspondent Jason Jones, who’s married to Samantha Bee. "To portray any opposition as classist or racist is as bad as it can get," Jones told WNYC. And elsewhere: "We are not divided,” he said at a public hearing about the proposal, “we are absolutely united in wanting what's best for our children," then encouraged fellow parents not to talk to the press about the controversy."

That doesn't mean it has anything to do with minorities. I think people are inferring a little too much here and we're getting off topic.

kulapik

So it wasn't the actual racist comments, it was the uploading an unlisted video to his channel?
I didn't say that, I didn't like his racist comments at all, I was just hoping he wouldn't spread those politics to his channel, though considering it better, laughing with the stuff a guy that has said such dumb stuff probably wouldn't sit will with me.

PeterGAF

Banned
If Arin wants to do anything about it I imagine he'd talk to Jon directly instead of just putting him on blast on Twitter. That rarely accomplishes anything.

But Arin can't put Jon on blast anyways because they are both a part of Maker. As a part of their contracts they essentially can't talk shit about each other.

LionPride

Banned
I didn't say that, I didn't like his racist comments at all, I was just hoping he wouldn't spread those politics to his channel, though considering it better, laughing with the stuff a guy that has said such dumb stuff probably wouldn't sit will with me.

Just making sure, also not smart to use dumb when talking about pure racism. Saying DMC2 is a great game is dumb, saying immigrants will ruin American culture is fucking racist

Nuu

Banned
That doesn't mean it has anything to do with minorities. I think people are inferring a little too much here and we're getting off topic.

The article is about minorities moving to their school district and they do not want them to go to their school district...

Beartruck

Huh? I thought he only deleted the shitty list videos. Which were pretty bad to be fair. Lists without meaningful discussion around them are just opinion confirmers/deniers with no real substance.

Well, he did delete those, but he also deleted all of his Sonic Team videos plus several others. Basically half of his first 1-2 years of content are gone.

The article is about minorities moving to their school district and they do not want them to go to their school district...

Perhaps i'm not inferring enough, let me re-read it. I am very groggy. It really feels like we're taking the very little that was quoted out of context though - its not enough to know his stance.

Nuu

Banned
Okay, I read through the whole freaking article to confirm what you said and it's not even true. It's a half quote at the end where he says it's possible to be opposed to moving a school to a more diverse area without being classist or racist. He doesn't state his stance at all.

Come the fuck on.

"I'm not racist/classist, I just don't want these poor brown kids coming to my school district because of reasons!"

LionPride

Banned
So someone posted the article about Samantha's husband to throw the entire topic off?

Huh

Maybe make a topic about that if you want to. Just a suggestion.

SirNinja

I knew exactly what this this was going to be before I even clicked. Which I shouldn't have.

Non-apology, "I was misunderstood" (except I meant every last thing I said; I just didn't say it nicely enough), the media's attacking me unfairly, I believe I can handwave racism away by simply claiming I'm not racist, doubling down on everything, etc. It never, ever changes.

Someone give me a summary. Would not rather give him a click.

Well seeing as everyone I've seen summarizing this is hearing what they want to hear and not what he actually said, I would say you are better off actually watching.

I mean holy crap guys, I know he's been saying stupid shit as of late but I did not hear him saying anything all too unreasonable in this video. Unless I'm missing some big part of the puzzle?

Unless you are all meaning to say that any policy besides completely open borders is unreasonable?

Edit: just watched that fake game grumps clip... my god. I had heard some of his past statements but this is holy shit on a different level.... yeah that's straight up racist and can't defend that at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom