• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

JonTron Releases a Statement

Status
Not open for further replies.
MV5BMTY2ODkzMzk4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTc3NDI0._V1_UY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

It's coming, don't worry.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
"I'm not racist/classist, I just don't want these poor brown kids coming to my school district because of reasons!"
That's not what's happening though. The school itself is being moved, and certain parents don't want the school moved.

Well seeing as everyone I've seen summarizing this is hearing what they want to hear and not what he actually said, I would say you are better off actually watching.

I mean holy crap guys, I know he's been saying stupid shit as of late but I did not hear him saying anything all too unreasonable in this video. Unless I'm missing some big part of the puzzle?

Unless you are all meaning to say that any policy besides completely open borders is unreasonable?

I look forward to seeing this post shredded apart.

Gator86

Well seeing as everyone I've seen summarizing this is hearing what they want to hear and not what he actually said, I would say you are better off actually watching.

I mean holy crap guys, I know he's been saying stupid shit as of late but I did not hear him saying anything all too unreasonable in this video. Unless I'm missing some big part of the puzzle?

Unless you are all meaning to say that any policy besides completely open borders is unreasonable?

tumblr_inline_o58r6dmSfe1suaed2_500.gif

Tain

So someone posted the article about Samantha's husband to throw the entire topic off?

Huh

Maybe make a topic about that if you want to. Just a suggestion.

yeah, as much as I think that deserves a lot of attention, this thread should stick to JonTron

LionPride

Banned

You don't see the problem with not only not giving an apology for saying racist, prejudiced things, but also using Brietbart as a source, being wrong in general, and just saying "The media is being mean to me, you all misconstrued my racist thoughts, they sound better in a vacuum anyway"

He does make one or two good points that don't apply to his stupid recent comments, but sadly he doesn't even apologize for one single thing he did lately and that's bad.

That said JonTron, like PewDiePie, is just another example of someone who just shouldn't have said anything politics-related at all in their life, because they clearly don't understand what they say.

Kirye

I think it's a bit unfortunate that Arin from the GameGrumps doesn't react in any way to this. I mean yeah, he's an old friend of yours but that old friend of yours is going an extremely shitty way. Calling him out is the least you could do.

It's rare for Arin to acknowledge JonTron on regular stuff, I don't see him being okay with talking about this on GG or Twitter. He'd probably prefer to distance himself.

LionPride

Banned
Do Arin amd h3h3 have an obligation to call his shit out?

I think h3h3 should say something, but hasn't and likely won't

I don't know if Arin can legally say anything or would want to. Watch old GG stuff, Jon says racist shit for teh lulz constantly, thankfully Arin has grown as a person. Seems Jon just attaches himself to anything that makes him feel intelligent for 15 seconds

Kthulhu

No one is calling for open boarders. Jon is opposed to immigration from pretty much anywhere that isn't majority white.

Don't believe anything he said in this video. He made it cuz he's feeling the backlash and he wants to try and look good while still rationalizing in his head that he's not a bad person.

I think you do not know about the contents of his 2 hour long interview. You should read about it

Gunship

He comes across as being extremely juvenile and insincere, this video is pure damage control. His nerves and constant grinning say a lot about his authenticity, or lack of.

NotLiquid

They won't. They're on the same network as him and Maker has a policy on infighting from what I understand.

Having said that it's kind of telling that people like h3h3 came out swinging in their defense for PDP... but haven't bothered saying anything about this. Even Boogie and TB couldn't say anything in Jon's defense without jumping onto the "but journalism!!!" straw man.

You don't see the problem with not only not giving an apology for saying racist, prejudiced things, but also using Brietbart as a source, being wrong in general, and just saying "The media is being mean to me, you all misconstrued my racist thoughts, they sound better in a vacuum anyway"

I guess I missed these new developments.... yeah that shit is indefensible.

"I'm not racist/classist, I just don't want these poor brown kids coming to my school district because of reasons!"

The article was about the school being moved away from where some rich parents had purchased apartments to send their kids to this exceptional school. It's an integration issue for sure, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to have other motives than race for opposing moving the school.

Why not focus on the guy who is trying to figure out whether he supports ethnic cleansing on a livestream debate rather than derail things with this?

Fury451

Banned
Very disappointing, as he's incredibly talented as a humorist and content producer, but he sounds even more absurdly ignorant every time he talks about these things. Now he's pulled the "the media is twisting my words and out to get me card".

Free speech and all, but you can't expect people to not call you out and shut down your nonsense, or to have it affect your product, so he asked for this.

Boem

The article is about minorities moving to their school district and they do not want them to go to their school district...

No, that's not what the article is about. It's about relocating schools to different areas to increase diversity in schools. While I definitely think you should call out someone like Jason Jones if he really opposed diversity in schools, that's not necesarily what's happening here. The quote even links to another site to clarify his quotes: http://www.wnyc.org/story/idea-solve-overcrowding-receives-emotional-response-upper-west-side/

The issue here seems to be that parents would have to drive an extra 16 blocks to get their children to school every day, not the diversity. That's why he mentioned opposition to the proposition isn't necessarily racist or classist, which is a comment against people who (like you) take comments like that out of context. It's about moving the school their kids are going to to an entirely different neighborhood, not a more diverse crowd of children moving to those schools.

Edit: Oh he's banned.

jdmonmou

That's a straw man argument if I ever heard one. No one is suggesting completely open borders. JonTron said some really racist things by defending Steve King's comments about we can't build our nation with "other people's babies." That comment was widely condemned as racist, Nazi ideology. We all know that they mean white people need to procreate more with other whites and we don't want too many black and brown babies in our society. This goes way deeper than border control.

Sushi Nao

That doesn't mean it has anything to do with minorities. I think people are inferring a little too much here and we're getting off topic.

And really, worst case scenario is that yes, gentrification occurred, no it's not an overtly racist act, yes it an underlying - perhaps even unconsciously - motivated racist occurrence.

Which goes against right insistence that only overt racism is racism worth calling out, so it's not even a good diversion.

The only counter-argument is "hypocrisy", which is becoming overused as an argument-winner and has ceased to be intimidating.

On topic: I'm pretty left, but I really enjoyed Jon's work. The views which have been inculcated in him are deeply unfortunate and I have a tough time separating artists from their work, especially for fundamental rights issues. Can't follow him after this.

Nanashrew

Banned
Not even surprised. I can't be surprised after all that transpired. JonTron is a completely and utter loser, racist, and all-around idiot.

I don't understand these white people who justify their racism with "well a mean black person called me racist so now I want them out of my country". I'm white and benefit from white privilege in my country and having my racism challenged by non-white people didn't turn me into a white supremacist or whatever. Like I'm sorry your fee-fees got hurt because someone criticized you for making a racist comment but this is bigger than your feelings.

Same with white people/culture jokes actually. They bothered me until I realized non-white people have it so much fucking worse than me that they're allowed to let out steam every once in a while. Never turned into a white supremacist because of them.

Gator86

Y'all gotta stop engaging these juniors man.

Same thing every thread.

I generally don't junior shame because it's dumb, but man, the influx of sub-50 post juniors popping up everywhere with some "actually it's not bigotry, lack of liberal tolerance is the real issue - all hate is bad" is off the charts right now.

Seesaw15

Arin? No. Game Grumps is silly game commentary and his twitter is just filled with fan art so I wouldn't expect him to go out of his way to make a comment.

H3H3? Yes. Well they should since they make their bread and butter from pointing out hypocrisy and commenting on Youtube drama. But they won't.

That's not at all what I said but OK. Hate breeds hate, even if it's in different forms.

While I do think he was a little unapologetic, I don't feel he should be crucified or anything. Nor do I think he should be simply forgiven.

But let's not build people up to start sending death threats.

I don't want to cause any troubles here, so I'll remove myself from the thread.
Oh, shut the fuck up. Oh wait, I guess you already did.

O_Atoll

Fuck JonTron self hating self. I'm surprised he still has a platform but then again just look at how thing are in America right now. So nothing surprise me anymore.

Apdiddy

Unsubscribed.

JonTron doesn't put out videos for months, deletes older content, and now is a diet racist then delivers a half-hearted 'apology' without understanding why people were upset in the first place.

EDIT: There's nothing diet about it. He is racist. Thanks for clarifying this for me.

LionPride

Banned
Unsubscribed.

JonTron doesn't put out videos for months, deletes older content, and now is a diet racist then delivers a half-hearted 'apology' without understanding why people were upset in the first place.

What's diet about saying "Come on, we both know why black people commit more crime than whites"

joe2187

Banned
"Im just another person in a long line of innocent people who are caught up in the corporate media conspiracy to use the words I said without provocation or cause against me and hold me accountable for my own actions...it's unfair and me and all the other Youtubers who've said things horrible and terrible shouldn't be held the same standards as normal people...we're different...also Im going to smugly repeat my statements and shove my fans up my own ass because I can and any criticisms against me are just part of cucked SJW outrage culture mob by sent to attack me by the media"

Why would you defend what he says if you have no idea what he said?

I thought this was in reference to some earlier things he had said that had seemed to be misconstrued, but now I see I'm just behind on all of this.

I apologize.

Can we not be assholes to each other?

I've already posted three times saying in light of hearing his newest comments, he is indefensible.

I thought this was in reference to some earlier things he had said that had seemed to be misconstrued, but now I see I'm just behind on all of this.

I apologize.

Can we not be assholes to each other?

I've already posted three times saying in light of hearing his newest comments, he is indefensible.

I saw your edit, it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom