• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid (Mutant Mudds) wants to do Sonic Mania on 3DS

https://twitter.com/JoolsWatsham/status/756690849145040896

@sonic_hedgehog If you're looking for a team to bring this stellar looking game to 3DS, please drop me a line.

I posted this in the Sonic Mania thread but for the heck of it I think a separate one couldn't hurt.

Jools has volunteered to do 3DS ports before (specifically Mighty No. 9... I would think he's changed his mind :p). Mutant Mudds was fun when I played the demo. And it got great reception so I think he'd be a great fit to do a 3DS port if Sega allowed it.

Renegade Kid also did Xeodrifter which is a lot of fun but VERY short.

Who's into this idea? I'm hoping this happens! :D

Menitta

Sonic games on handhelds are the best. I always treated them like a fighting game. A quick car trip? I'll play Chemical Hill Zone. I hope this happens!

Zubz

Banned
In most cases, I'd say they'd seem covered, but all of these studios are pretty small, so there's a chance that resources are the only things stopping them. I hope they take that offer!

Sonic games on handhelds are the best. I always treated them like a fighting game. A quick car trip? I'll play Chemical Hill Zone. I hope this happens!

I know that's a typo, but Chemical Hill Zone sounds like a great stage idea.

MacTag

Banned
i wonder if 3DS can handle it or not.
i want it also on Vita,but i am fine with PC version.
Christian Whitehead already revealed that the Retro Engine ran 100% fullspeed on New 3DS via homebrew. And this was back in the days of userland exploits like Ninjhax so not even full system resources.

Presumably Sonic Mania should be a pretty easy port then, not to mention the enhanced versions of Sonic 1, 2 and CD.

Yes yes yes.

This needs a handheld version in any shape or form :D

jcgkkc8n5ilm1i78rrxn.jpg

He shouldn't have to.

That's what I'm thinking.

Sonic Mania should be in development for all consoles and handhelds. Bringing it only to PS4, Xbox One and PC feels like a very strange choice considering it's a 2D title. It shouldn't be hard to port it to all the other systems.

I mean, I'll still be able to play this, but...I don't know. I see the Sonic franchise as one tied to Nintendo systems first and foremost and everything else second. But maybe that's just me.

Ferr986

Sonic Mania should be in development for all consoles and handhelds. Bringing it only to PS4, Xbox One and PC feels like a very strange choice considering it's a 2D title. It shouldn't be hard to port it to all the other systems.

I mean, I'll still be able to play this, but...I don't know. I see the Sonic franchise as one tied to Nintendo systems first and foremost and everything else second. But maybe that's just me.

It's not for NX because Nintendo surely didn't give an NX devkit to Taxman. Remind that this is not a Sega developed game.

Also, Taxman maybe can't handle all the versions. If I'm not mistaken, with Sonic CD, he only did the 360 and smartphones versions, while the PC and PS3 versions were ported by Blit.

bede-x

I'd honestly rather have him do a proper Mutant Mudds sequel or something new. Too much talent to waste on ports.

Honestly, Jools' efforts would be better-placed towards an NX port or his own game.

True, but even he likely doesn't have one dev kit yet. Hell he'd likely be more equipped to do an NX-port if he did a 3DS version first.

Like how Two Tribes did Swords & Soldiers on Wii U, because they already did the iOS port.

Calm Mind

The last time something happened like this we got Tembo the Elephant and we all know how that ended up.

"Let's put a platformer on platforms where they don't really sell well and ignore the ones that do"

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'll buy it. Hope it won't come out for the Vita at all.

What? As a Nintendo fan I can only be puzzled by this comment. I'd love a Vita or 3DS version of this, especially since this would make a retail release more likely. Moreover, playing Sonic on the go is awesome. Considering 3DS will get its fourth exclusive Sonic platformer this year, as well as the two 3D Sonics ports, Sonic Kart 2 and Mario & Sonic games, there certainly should be a sizable audience there.

Yasumi

Banned
What? As a Nintendo fan I can only be puzzled by this comment. I'd love a Vita or 3DS version of this, especially since this would make a retail release more likely. Moreover, playing Sonic on the go is awesome. Considering 3DS will get its fourth exclusive Sonic platformer this year, as well as the two 3D Sonics ports, Sonic Kart 2 and Mario & Sonic games, there certainly should be a sizable audience there.
You should check his post history. Best to just ignore him.

I'd rather see an android port. Taxman has made great ports of the first three sonic games on Android and they're better than their 3ds counterparts. Not to mention it could retain its resolution.

Taxman and co are perfectly capable of doing one. The issue would be funding to develop another SKU. It'd be great if we could get a 3DS and Vita port for this just so people could have more options.

What we really need are ports of Taxman's Sonic 1 and 2 mobile remasters. They're amazing ports and it would be great if more people could play those.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
There is no reason to not have the game on 3DS unless im missing something obvious which requires PS4/XBO power.

Vena

Taxman and co are perfectly capable of doing one. The issue would be funding to develop another SKU. It'd be great if we could get a 3DS and Vita port for this just so people could have more options.

What we really need are ports of Taxman's Sonic 1 and 2 mobile remasters. They're amazing ports and it would be great if more people could play those.

It confuses me that a port that would likely outsell some of the current console options... would be the one requiring funding.

Why it even needs to be a port baffles me, on top of where the current library of Sonic games is largely located. You'd think after Tembo people would have learned something...

It confuses me that a port that would likely outsell some of the current console options... would be the one requiring funding.

I mean I really doubt a 3DS port would outsell the others by a drastic margin. The difference between this and Tembo is this is Sonic. I don't think a 3DS/Vita port would've saved Tembo and would of most likely just been a drain on resources. PS4/XBO/PC versions make more sense considering Sonic 2017 is coming. There aren't any Sonic PS4/XBO games yet. What better way than to drum up interest in Sonic again is to create a nostalgia driven game created by people who know what they're doing. Still a 3DS port makes sense but I can understand why it isn't a main concern (it isn't like the team making Mania is very big).

The only sales comparison we could use is Generations as that got a 3DS version, but I don't have any idea on how that did in comparison to the PS3/360/PC versions.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I mean I really doubt a 3DS port would outsell the others by a drastic margin. The difference between this and Tembo is this is Sonic. I don't think a 3DS/Vita port would've saved Tembo and would of most likely just been a drain on resources. PS4/XBO/PC versions make more sense considering Sonic 2017 is coming. There aren't any Sonic PS4/XBO games yet. What better way than to drum up interest in Sonic again is to create a nostalgia driven game created by people who know what they're doing. Still a 3DS port makes sense but I can understand why it isn't a main concern (it isn't like the team making Mania is very big).

The only sales comparison we could use is Generations as that got a 3DS version, but I don't have any idea on how that did in comparison to the PS3/360/PC versions.

It outsold them.

I'd be very surprised if Sega didn't port this thing to every other platform going, be it handheld or smartphone or whatever once they've finished up with the versions they can get away with charging the most for.

I'll buy it. Hope it won't come out for the Vita at all.

Certainly seems a healthy attitude to have.

Dunkley

Its a thread about the possibility of a 3DS port and we fine with people begging for a Vita port instead to derail the topic uh.

If a possible 3DS version is on the table to be discussed, why should a possible Vita version not be considered as well?

Its a thread about the possibility of a 3DS port and we fine with people begging for a Vita port instead to derail the topic uh.

You tell me. What's more likely to derail a thread?

One person saying "Boy I'd love that on 3DS! It'd be great on Vita too"

or One person passive-aggressively pre-empting 'port-begging' by childishly insinuating that the game shouldn't come to Vita for literally no reason at all

Top Bottom