• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Jordan Peterson checks into rehab, addiction to medicine he used to cope with his wife's cancer

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013

He's a good guy who is really misunderstood and this is a shame. Last I heard he was feeling great with the carnivore diet and was really healthy. Sucks to hear :messenger_crying:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Klonopin. Yeah, that'll do you in if you're taking it regularly. It's no wonder he's been emotionally swingy at some of his public appearances, and understandable given what he's going through with his wife, plus all the pressure of the public debates and all the attempts to cancel him.

Benzos are very tough to get off of, and can kill you during withdrawals in some instances. It's good that he checked into rehab. Best wishes.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
That's why I try to avoid taking medicine whenever I can, unless I'm totally backed into a corner. Especially ones that fuck with your brain, in fact, I've never taken any kinda medication that fucks with your brain, I'm terrified of it. I don't want anything altering my brain chemistry. I know some people need it, but I hear so many horror stories from those meds too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004
Yeah, it's a sound strategy DragoonKain DragoonKain .

Note that Chris Cornell hung himself after taking more than his normal prescribed dose of Klonopin.

Benzos will take away your anxiety, but can put you in a disassociative, bleak, sometimes extremely negative headspace too. And they'll eradicate your ability to handle anxiety without the pills. And they hit the same centers of the brain as alcohol, so they can easily lead to alcoholism and dangerous blackouts. Highly addictive, and they're only supposed to be prescribed for a max of three months.

Steer clear of the stuff IMO.

CurryPanda

Formerly 'CyberPanda' formerly ‘CurryPanda’
Mar 4, 2019
Benzo's can be dangerous if used for a long time, but barbiturates are even more dangerous. They used to use those in sleeping pills long ago and then switched to Benzos.

Aces&Eights

Nov 13, 2013
Spokane, WA
Benzos are bad news. Wife's crackpot Dr. put her on 3Mg a day and after 2 years she finally realized they were poison and it took her just as long to get back to normal. There were days when I thought I was going to have to admit her to the psych ward. It was a very long, very hard struggle to get her back to normal. Wish him the best.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
benzos and barbs are tough roads

i was taking enough barbs at one point to tranq a large elephant and still working out like a savage

couldn't relax, it was the craziest few months of my life

godspeed mister peterson, get some help

Last edited:

Weilthain

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2013
Man that sucks but at least he is doing the right thing.

When I had a slipped disc in my back, I had to take lots of codiene pills.

Had to take so many so often that I definitely got “addicted” in the sense that I was physically addicted. I was really open about it to my family and kept talking about how I would have to taper off and I’ll have withdrawals and stuff. Wasnt that hard in the end as codeine isn’t as bad as other drugs but still can get you if you aren’t open to yourself and others what you are doing.

I can definitely see how people get addicted. What is really sad is people in the UK often get addicted to codeine pills that are sold at chemists without a prescription. These codeine pills have at most 15mg in them as well as either ibuprofen or paracetamol in the same pill, so you end up fucking up your body by abusing the other drugs. For comparison, the pills I was prescribed were 30mg codiene each pill and I was popping them like candy.

People are driving around different towns going to all the different pharmacies so they don’t get clocked as an addict by the staff it’s really heartbreaking.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
I know the impending death of a loved one sucks, but millions of people manage to do it without becoming drug addicts.

This guy ain't shit. Just another snake oil sales prick. Can't even abide by his own philosophy.

DKehoe

Jun 19, 2007
I know the impending death of a loved one sucks, but millions of people manage to do it without becoming drug addicts.

This guy ain't shit. Just another snake oil sales prick. Can't even abide by his own philosophy.
Come on. I’m not a fan of his either but this is a pretty low blow. He’s obviously struggling through a hard time and there’s no need to kick him when he’s down. I hope he gets better soon.

Reactions: Saiyu

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018

Guy's wife has cancer so he took drugs. Not the responsible shit to do obviously. Specially since he has to support his wife and all. But no need to kick the dog.

you are such a nitwit
Yeah but he is OUR nitwit.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

ROMhack

Jul 14, 2018
Hope it works out for him.

Peterson does seem like a bit of a snake oil man but largely because of circumstance. I think he's espousing a philosophy designed to appeal to the common person, and reflects it with regard to arenas of culture that are relevant to modern life. He's a pretty learned fella and I assume many would switch off if he started discussing, say, Nietzsche in depth.

There's value to a book like 12 Rules but as a secondary, more digestible source of knowledge.

Last edited:

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Seems like this is blown up over nothing.

He managed his stress while his wife was being treated for cancer with a legal drug. She seems to have now recovered. So he now is trying to stop using the legal drug, but is suffering withdrawals. So, being a therapist, he recognizes that he can get help instead of just brute force beating it alone, and checks in somewhere.

Sounds fine.

I do wonder if that insanely strict diet he's on makes him more sensitive to the addictive aspects of that drug though.

Vicetrailia

Formerly 'ViceUniverse'
Mar 12, 2019
All that money and he still faultered huh.

But he checked himself in so good on him for that.

His diet is bullshit though. Cutting it greens improved his mental health? Apparently not.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
Seems like this is blown up over nothing.

He managed his stress while his wife was being treated for cancer with a legal drug. She seems to have now recovered. So he now is trying to stop using the legal drug, but is suffering withdrawals. So, being a therapist, he recognizes that he can get help instead of just brute force beating it alone, and checks in somewhere.

Sounds fine.

I do wonder if that insanely strict diet he's on makes him more sensitive to the addictive aspects of that drug though.
Yeah I think it's great that he shows he's not simply trying to "tough it out" and seeking professional help as it's needed. Growing up I was taught to look down on people who couldn't figure shit out so I'm glad he's setting a good example for others who are also struggling.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008

His diet is bullshit though. Cutting it greens improved his mental health? Apparently not.
what's this about money and faltering, like it matters?

are you retarded, do i need to shine the retard alert

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013

He has an autoimmune disease and he cut out everything besides meat. Like literally everything. It wasn’t just for mental health he was feeling very unwell until the diet, and the diet saved his daughter’s life apparently.

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007
Why is this in the politics thread
An (in my opinion) unfortunate result of the separation from Off-Topic. Not everyone is on the same page in terms of what is considered "political" and what isn't. Some people just treat it like a PoliGAF community forum, too.

• LOL
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
Wish him and his family well. This is also the first I've heard of the true severity of his wife's illness. Explains why he was suddenly gone from the public spotlight.

I've seen a lot of dark responses to this news. Some hateful and irredeemable people out there.

Drake

Oct 16, 2012
Didn't know about his wife's cancer. That definitely sucks. Glad to see he is getting the help he needs.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Yeah I think it's great that he shows he's not simply trying to "tough it out" and seeking professional help as it's needed. Growing up I was taught to look down on people who couldn't figure shit out so I'm glad he's setting a good example for others who are also struggling.
This has the lesson a bit misunderstood. Even the most stoic individual understands that part of "toughing it out" is recognizing that if you have a severe enough problem to get help. Nobody thinks you should tough it out if you break a bone. Likewise, with a serious drug addiction, you may need help to kick it. Think the Trainspotting scenes, one where Renton does it himself, the other with his parent's help.

Both of those scenes show a vital component. You need to want it too, you need to work for it too. Even with help, Renton is still toughing it out. Likewise, JP putting himself into rehab isn't some condemnation of "tough it out".

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

I know there is a lot of finger pointing from leftists regarding "middle class drug addiction" as part of social justice, but there is a very different underlying cause. People who become addicted to painkillers, mood-modifiers, etc. went to their doctor and were prescribed these physically addictive medications under the care of a professional they place trust into. The fault of the opioid epidemic lies with the all-too-cozy relationship doctors have with pharmaceutical companies. The pharma rep comes in, takes the doctor to lunch or dinner, maybe invites him to go deep sea fishing, wink wink, suddenly prescriptions for painkillers start just flying out of that office and the office is plastered with little pamphlets.

Of course, the same thing happens in any industry and I see what amounts to bribery all the time from salesweasels, but medical treatment is closer to the metal of our lives than any other industry. Doctors at least should be held to a higher standard, and while regulations have helped this still goes on. It is a failure of authority.

Last edited:

SKM1

Formerly 'GaugeInvariant'
Mar 7, 2018
More than 2 years ago I watched his lectures titled 'maps of meaning', which sparked a complete change of how I view the world. I've not paid much attention to his recent activities but I hope everything comes out alright. Definitely one of my main intellectual influences. Fuck the haters.

Taxexemption

Oct 11, 2011

I can't help but wonder if this was political. If it had been Justin Trudeau or Obama, or any politician the left likes, would you feel the same way, or would you somehow find empathy? My general reaction to finding out someone is addicted to something isn't to scorn them. We are all human in a kinda crazy world where for social reasons we have to pretend like we have ourselves together when most of us are still figuring things out in an ever changing world. If I had a partner, I don't know what my precise reaction would be but I would really struggle to deal with them passing away.

Also his addiction doesn't prove that he's selling snake oil. Most of his advice comes down to take responsibility for your own life, and realize that if you can't make your life work you probably can't fix the world. There are plenty of other people that essentially say the same thing, your not going to change the whole political system, you may be able to improve your own life by taking responsibility for things that are wrong with it and taking incremental steps to move forward. If anything we should respect that he understood that he had a problem and took appropriate action, rather than do what a lot of people, particularly successful people do when they become addicts, they pretend like nothings wrong until they do something so stupid that they are ruining their life.

Also, most people don't wake up one day and say "I think I'm going to be an addict." It's something that happens slowly over a period of time. Really though, you can't empathize? He married her, he probably has thousands of precious life moments that are very meaningful with her, and he's going to have to live without her. Tons of people become addicts for reasons that are more or less "I'm bored," or "I can't cope with the way the world is," by comparison "My wife is dying of cancer" is a pretty good reason to be having personal problems.

Last edited:

MrTickles

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
I'm just saying given his position as a deep thinker and motivational speaker, opioids; particularly self medication don't bode well for his status as a pillar of stability for young men. His entire self-help philosophy is based around his supposed internal psychology. At worst, I find him hypocritical. My first comment was unduly harsh. Yes I've watched many of his lectures, they can be insightful. But ultimately there is nothing new there if you've been doing the rounds already.

I know addiction, I'm addicted to caffeine. I could stop any time™ but I don't wanna.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
I'm just saying given his position as a deep thinker and motivational speaker, opioids; particularly self medication don't bode well for his status as a pillar of stability for young men. His entire self-help philosophy is based around his supposed internal psychology. At worst, I find him hypocritical.

I know addiction, I'm addicted to caffeine. I could stop any time™ but I don't wanna.
That isn’t addicted. if you can just stop it is a habit. Addiction is an unhealthy obsession.

The fact he is asking for help does not make him hypocritical. Addicts can’t heal themselves.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
I'm just saying given his position as a deep thinker and motivational speaker, opioids; particularly self medication don't bode well for his status as a pillar of stability for young men. His entire self-help philosophy is based around his supposed internal psychology. At worst, I find him hypocritical. My first comment was unduly harsh. Yes I've watched many of his lectures, they can be insightful. But ultimately there is nothing new there if you've been doing the rounds already.

Reactions: #Phonepunk#

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
May 30, 2004

Opioids?
Self medication?
Hypocritical?

What are you talking about?

Tajaz2426

Jan 20, 2017
Beaufort, SC
This has the lesson a bit misunderstood. Even the most stoic individual understands that part of "toughing it out" is recognizing that if you have a severe enough problem to get help. Nobody thinks you should tough it out if you break a bone. Likewise, with a serious drug addiction, you may need help to kick it. Think the Trainspotting scenes, one where Renton does it himself, the other with his parent's help.

Both of those scenes show a vital component. You need to want it too, you need to work for it too. Even with help, Renton is still toughing it out. Likewise, JP putting himself into rehab isn't some condemnation of "tough it out".
You’d be surprised what people will live with and tell no one. After my first pump to Iraq in 05, I hid my mental problems from my family all the way through my last deployment there in 2010, then not getting help till 2014ish.

Depending on what job you may have there may be a culture that asking for help is considered weak. Until around 2012 if you even said you may need help, that would go into your C.O.’s admin paperwork and when you came up for reenlistment it would be frowned upon. Not to mention the shit you would have to put up with from other Marines.

It all depends on how the man or woman was raised, what their morals are, who they associate with, etc.

SKM1

Formerly 'GaugeInvariant'
Mar 7, 2018

You're not making any sense whatsoever.

One of the main talking points of JP is that life is full of tragedy and suffering and we have to be prepared to face what comes. It's never about being someone to whom nothing bad will happen, but actually being ready to face these things. In this context, what he is doing is perfectly in line with what he preaches.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

He's a good guy who is really misunderstood and this is a shame. Last I heard he was feeling great with the carnivore diet and was really healthy. Sucks to hear :messenger_crying:
He is going through a really rough and personal time right now. Let him have space to work out his direction and his misdirections.

Anyone that goes hard on him should reflect he is in a hard time right now. Once he is healed we can argue the merits of his
ideas but right now we will back off attacking him as a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: hariseldon