• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Jordan Peterson checks into rehab, addiction to medicine he used to cope with his wife's cancer

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Saying only a man can mold a person is stupid. For every deadbeat dad there is a strong mother and vice versa. It is as stupid as oprah is fat.
i don't think a single mom can raise a son who values independence, strength, honor, responsibility

boys need a father (figure)

Last edited:
Reactions: matt404au

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
It is "normal" as in it is common. The idea that EVERYBODY has a happy marriage and perfect M+F parents is poppycock. Thinking that only straight people can raise kids properly is asinine. Sexuality doesn't determine a good parent. That shit takes work.

His ideas on the sort of lifestyle we should live are pretty conservative IMO.
It’s common, but it shouldn’t be normal.

Reactions: Tesseract

CDiggity

Jan 3, 2014
I'll be honest, when I first heard this news I put the chorus of Amy Winehouse's Rehab into that NotJordanPeterson audio generator. Didn't sound very good unfortunately.

Kenpachii

Mar 23, 2018
i don't think a single mom can raise a son who values independence, strength, honor, responsibility

They can get it from other sources, teachers, friends dads etc and still be fine.

The issue arises is when that boy is locked in a nutty environment and can't escape from it because of limitations like age etc and has no way out other then to deal with it and becomes a tool for those parents to push there shit with.

U can see this with that environmental girl, 8 years old transgender kids, and hormone therapy for non adults etc.

I had my fair encounters with cultists / lesbo's / feminists / militairy dads and there slave wives to see that a balance is needed for a stable environment.

Last edited:

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007

"Honor" is a bit nebulous, but I certainly have friends who were raised by single moms to value the other three.

• Fire

JLB

Dec 6, 2018
I know the impending death of a loved one sucks, but millions of people manage to do it without becoming drug addicts.

This guy ain't shit. Just another snake oil sales prick. Can't even abide by his own philosophy.
Yeah, go check the meaning of empathy.

• LOL
Reactions: SLoWMoTIoN

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016

kanye west,
barack obama,
jon stewart,
jay-z,
eddie murphy,
keanu reeves,
pierce brosnan,
samuel l jackson,
50 cent,
jason momoa,
al pacino,
clive owen,
gene simmons,
stephen colbert,
martin lawrence,
michael phelps,
shaquille o'neal,
adrian grenier,
jet li,
biggie, and
guy pearce,
would ALL like to have a word with you.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
kanye west,
barack obama,
jon stewart,
jay-z,
eddie murphy,
keanu reeves,
pierce brosnan,
samuel l jackson,
50 cent,
jason momoa,
al pacino,
clive owen,
gene simmons,
stephen colbert,
martin lawrence,
michael phelps,
shaquille o'neal,
adrian grenier,
jet li,
biggie, and
guy pearce,
would ALL like to have a word with you.
i'm sure they had father figures

Last edited:
Reactions: SKM1

Mohonky

Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, it's a sound strategy DragoonKain DragoonKain .

Note that Chris Cornell hung himself after taking more than his normal prescribed dose of Klonopin.

Benzos will take away your anxiety, but can put you in a disassociative, bleak, sometimes extremely negative headspace too. And they'll eradicate your ability to handle anxiety without the pills. And they hit the same centers of the brain as alcohol, so they can easily lead to alcoholism and dangerous blackouts. Highly addictive, and they're only supposed to be prescribed for a max of three months.

Steer clear of the stuff IMO.
I've been on benzos since I was 25 or so, over a decade to treat panic disorder.

Tbh they work for me where no other treatment had. A doctor wanted me off them, and I can totally underatand why, but my panic attacks progressed so badly over the next 6 months that I became entirely house bound again.

Not gonna say they arent a problem, but given the option of them vs being unable to function at all, I'll take them.

Ive always been very strict on taking them though, 1 a day, max. No more. In recent months I've been able to drop that to half but some days Ive needed 2 halfs.

The biggest problem with them is that you build tolerance to them very very quickly so people dont feel like they are doing anything and keep upping their dosage. If you get caught in that cycle, you're in trouble.

Reactions: EviLore

Humdinger

Apr 21, 2010
Btw, it's unfair to label him an "addict" until we know the details. Plenty of people get physically dependent on a physician-prescribed medication -- and then need detox to get off it -- without being a "drug addict." Think of the old folks who get "addicted" to opioids prescribed by their doctor. They aren't "drug addicts" in the typical sense. Drug addiction is different than just tolerance and withdrawal. That's the old definition. Things have progressed since then.

Being a "drug addict" is more than just tolerance and withdrawal. It has more to do with two other central features:

1) Losing control of your use. For instance, repeatedly taking more than your doctor prescribes (obtaining from multiple doctors who aren't aware of each other, getting supplements off the street, etc.).

2) Serious negative consequences to your life (e.g., relationships, health, self-esteem, job), with continued use despite those consequences.

I don't know if either of those two qualities are present in Peterson's case. It may just be a physiological dependency, which you'd expect after long-term benzo use. I don't mean that's not serious, but it's not "being a drug addict" in the way most professionals in the field would think about it.

Of course, those elements may have been present. I haven't read much about the situation. It's not really my business, and I think it's kind of sordid to have people prying into something so personal ... but that's the life in the spotlight, I guess.