• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Peterson update from his daughter Mikhaila: He was very sick(almost died), but he's finally doing better

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Anyway. I do wish him the best and his family. I think his work and the words he has spoken have brought a great deal to many people. I hope he can continue on for a long time.
Dial it back on the personal insults.

Thank you.
Noted. And I do apologize. I'm at work. It's not helping my mood lol.

Loki

Count of Concision
He was on Benzos, Klonopin specifically if I remmeber that correctly....
Well, they are BAD:

(those symptoms for that man, probably going to be permanent)

I've been on them and thanks to them, I became heavy drinker, since it's the only way how to deal with Benzo w/d which is pure hell, nothing comes even close to that, even according to the internet.

Damn, I started taking Klonopin (liquid, oral) about a month ago for sleeping issues. It's the only thing that has helped me get a decent night's sleep in over a year. About 1 mg before bed each night (I'm a big guy, 6'1'"/250). Should I not be taking it? Are these symptoms/this level of withdrawal common, or only common for those who are on a very high dose for a very long time? I've read that 1 mg/day is the maintenance dose, with a max dose of 20mg/day.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Damn, I started taking Klonopin (liquid, oral) about a month ago for sleeping issues. About 1 mg before bed each night. Should I not be taking it? Are these symptoms/this level of withdrawal common, or only common for those who are on a very high dose for a very long time? I've read that 1 mg/day is the maintenance dose, with a max dose of 20mg/day.
That shit should never be taken for the sleep... Get a Zolpidem, not the mention it works way better. Especially Klonopin, why? Even here something like Xanax would be far more appropriate and even than, it would be pretty fucking bad call on the doctor side. If you self-medicating yourself, well then don't do that... Even though, not sure how big of market there is for Liquid Klonopin.

I could tell you that guy take it for long years, but still, just get off the Benzo train, you never know, how much tolerance you personably have to that. And besides, it changes mood slowly, but pretty drastically.

Loki

Count of Concision
That shit should never be taken for the sleep... Get a Zolpidem, not the mention it works way better. Especially Klonopin, why? Even here something like Xanax would be far more appropriate and even than, it would be pretty fucking bad call on the doctor side. If you self-medicating yourself, well then don't do that... Even though, not sure how big of market there is for Liquid Klonopin.

I could tell you that guy take it for long years, but still, just get off the Benzo train, you never know, how much tolerance you personably have to that. And besides, it changes mood slowly, but pretty drastically.

Thanks. It was prescribed after a video consultation with a medical doctor, but not one from the USA. I had long suspected that the cause of my sleeping issues was due to the "hyper-vigilance" of my nervous system in regard to stimulus intake/response (very slight variations in temperature, small vibrations/sounds/touches - basically anything will immediately wake me up). Thus I concluded that I needed to depress my nervous system response in some manner, as I had tried all over the counter stuff (even in larger doses than recommended, though of course not dangerously large doses) and my regular physician just tells me to drink tea, put lavender candles, don't use a computer before bed etc. According to my wife I was waking up every 5-10 minutes during the night (my eyes would open, but would be rolled back to expose the whites of the eyes, then I would just slowly close them again; I would also stop breathing every couple of minutes for 5-6 seconds, but that's a different issue -apnea, which only started this past year). Hence I was never reaching deep sleep. I had taken Xanax for a week or so a few years back (self-medicated) and it helped me a lot - only time I slept a full 8+ hours in many years. So it sorta confirmed my belief that my nervous system is at the root of all my sleeping problems. Strange thing is, I don't have any type of anxiety disorder at all - just a very active mind and I'm always very sensitive to stimulus (I react rapidly to stimuli and experience them more acutely than the average person; e.g. shrill/loud noises will grate on me in a way that would not bother most people), but not like painfully so or anything. I just perceive them more acutely. This goes for every sense modality.

Last edited:
A drug addicted, neurotic mess that doesn't have his shit together should get his shit together before he goes around the country giving people advice. Instead he chose to capitalize off his controversy and hoodwink people like you. What more do you want?

Would you take "clean living and fitness" advice from an obese individual who eats fast food and can't run a mile?

I'll leave it at that. Because there's no point in going any further.

You'll just resort to insults and ad hominem attack regardless of what is said regarding this topic.

Maybe you could explain which part of his message you have an issue with rather than repeatedly attacking the messenger.

Siri

Banned
Fuck you and the bubble you live in. Dark humor is how alot of people deal with sad and unfortunate situations. It doesn't mean they don't care.

So when you said you wanted to fuck Jordan Peterson’s daughter twice what you were really doing was dealing with a sad and unfortunate situation?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Again. When was the podcast in relation to his wife's cancer diagnosis?
I forgot to answer this in the "fun" of all this. I believe the podcast was prior to his wife's diagnosis. Not sure the point though? He was in the middle of his lecture tour during the last Joe Rogan interview I believe. If you're trying to argue he was becoming "crazy" then despite not being on drugs I don't see it. I listened to a lot of his lectures after that and he's quite comprehensible and reasonable.

Corrik

I forgot to answer this in the "fun" of all this. I believe the podcast was prior to his wife's diagnosis. Not sure the point though? He was in the middle of his lecture tour during the last Joe Rogan interview I believe. If you're trying to argue he was becoming "crazy" then despite not being on drugs I don't see it. I listened to a lot of his lectures after that and he's quite comprehensible and reasonable.
The point is that if it is after his wife's condition, he may have been having a sort of breakdown or it could have been a cause of the new benzo prescription he was on affecting his mind. Breakdowns can manifest in many ways.

I knew a guy at my job who seemed fine at work but was getting skinnier and skinnier. Turns out he was paranoid someone was poisoning his food and wasn't eating, even threw his refrigerator out into his yard, and was severely malnourished.

If he was mentally being affected by his wife's diagnosis and/or a new benzo prescription then surely it would be unjust to prescribe to him malicious intent to mislead or profit off of falseness based on this podcast comment.

Jon Neu

Banned
So just to be clear, you think that this is a real "digestive reaction" and people lose a month of sleep from apple cider commonly?

It has to do with the fact that the guy is crazy. I don't take advice from crazy people. I hope he gets the help he needs right now, which is a separate thing. I don't wish him evil, but I also don't think he should be dispensing advice to young and confused people.

Jordan Peterson has literally helped thousands to put their life together and has changed the life of an incredibly amount of people. It has been literally his job for decades.

But sure, some random barely informed dudes with some dumb opinionated take on Peterson's persona claim he shouldn't be giving advice to young and confused people.

oagboghi2

You need Jordan Peterson to give you banal advice like "take care of yourself and your family"? I think you can get better sources for this advice.
How is that advice banal, and why do I need a better source?

If you can’t discredit the advice he is giving, than what is your point.

You need Jordan Peterson to give you banal advice like "take care of yourself and your family"? I think you can get better sources for this advice.

Which part of his advice do you disagree with? That's the real question. I'll say it again: stop attacking the messenger and give us some substance.

badblue

No...he said he had insomnia for 25 days...and he doubled down on that claim.

I've had insomnia for longer then 25 days. Insomnia is not literally getting no sleep, it's getting little quality sleep. 2-3 hours of sleep a night is not going to kill you, but it is going to severly impact the rest of your life until corrected.

You don't have to be a psychologist to know that this was all in his head.
Does that somehow invalidate anything? There are lots of very real conditions that are nothing more then that. Dr. Peterson being a psychologist would know that better then you.

There is not one single digestive reaction that will give you 25 days of insomnia.
The inflammatory cytokines such as tumor necrosis factor, interleukin-1 (IL-1), and IL-6 have been shown to be a significant contributor of sleep disturbances. On the other hand, sleep disturbances such as sleep deprivation have been shown to up regulate these inflammatory cytokines. Alterations in these cytokine levels have been demonstrated in certain gastrointestinal diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, gastro-esophageal reflux, liver disorders and colorectal cancer. In turn, abnormal sleep brought on by these diseases is shown to contribute to the severity of these same gastrointestinal diseases. Knowledge of these relationships will allow gastroenterologists a great opportunity to enhance the care of their patients.
source

Not a single digestive reaction, huh? It's totally plausible that that cider did cause a reaction that did cause insomnia.

A drug addicted, neurotic mess that doesn't have his shit together should get his shit together before he goes around the country giving people advice. Instead he chose to capitalize off his controversy and hoodwink people like you. What more do you want?

Peterson didn't hoodwink anyone. People wanted to hear what he had to said, and he obliged them. If no one thought what he said made sense he'd be an unknown teacher still.
I'm not going to bother address the addiction and having his shit together stuff again.

You are just looking to shit on someone because you don't like them, not because any of your claims have any merit.

TrainedRage

Banned
I've had insomnia for longer then 25 days. Insomnia is not literally getting no sleep, it's getting little quality sleep. 2-3 hours of sleep a night is not going to kill you, but it is going to severly impact the rest of your life until corrected.

Does that somehow invalidate anything? There are lots of very real conditions that are nothing more then that. Dr. Peterson being a psychologist would know that better then you.

source

Not a single digestive reaction, huh? It's totally plausible that that cider did cause a reaction that did cause insomnia.

Peterson didn't hoodwink anyone. People wanted to hear what he had to said, and he obliged them. If no one thought what he said made sense he'd be an unknown teacher still.
I'm not going to bother address the addiction and having his shit together stuff again.

You are just looking to shit on someone because you don't like them, not because any of your claims have any merit.
Nice, now lets wait for the well reasoned and rational response.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The more I think about this, the sadder I get. Jordan Peterson is a good man. He tried to help people that's why he does what he does. And he's gotten a lot of shit for it for no reason. Bitter, angry, self-loathing people who look for people to attack to feel better about themselves. Now, at least he'll have far more supporters than detractors. They're a vocal minority. But still, it's sad. I mean a human being, a bright one at that with a lot of good ideas and intelligent talking points was almost lost. That to me is always sad. Not to mention a family almost lost a loved one, a daughter almost lost a father, etc.

And the people mocking it think they're the "good guys." There is nothing righteous about mocking someone almost dying.

Papa

Banned
That shit is nuts. You see a "digestive reaction." I see a "neurotic anxiety riddled weirdo who has no business giving anyone advice until he gets his shit together."

Perhaps you should stop trying to fill your god-shaped hole with human beings then. Not once has Peterson ever claimed to be infallible. In fact, he frequently talks about his own shortcomings, what he has done to overcome them, and how there is no one size fits all solution. That you expect him to be a godlike figure before giving advice says more about you than it does him. Stop looking to human beings for divine wisdom.

Moreover, the majority of his academic and clinical career happened before his wife’s diagnosis and his autoimmune disease. Your pathetic attempt at character assassination based on the terrible last few years of his life does not undermine his long and distinguished career.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Thanks. It was prescribed after a video consultation with a medical doctor, but not one from the USA. I had long suspected that the cause of my sleeping issues was due to the "hyper-vigilance" of my nervous system in regard to stimulus intake/response (very slight variations in temperature, small vibrations/sounds/touches - basically anything will immediately wake me up). Thus I concluded that I needed to depress my nervous system response in some manner, as I had tried all over the counter stuff (even in larger doses than recommended, though of course not dangerously large doses) and my regular physician just tells me to drink tea, put lavender candles, don't use a computer before bed etc. According to my wife I was waking up every 5-10 minutes during the night (my eyes would open, but would be rolled back to expose the whites of the eyes, then I would just slowly close them again; I would also stop breathing every couple of minutes for 5-6 seconds, but that's a different issue -apnea, which only started this past year). Hence I was never reaching deep sleep. I had taken Xanax for a week or so a few years back (self-medicated) and it helped me a lot - only time I slept a full 8+ hours in many years. So it sorta confirmed my belief that my nervous system is at the root of all my sleeping problems. Strange thing is, I don't have any type of anxiety disorder at all - just a very active mind and I'm always very sensitive to stimulus (I react rapidly to stimuli and experience them more acutely than the average person; e.g. shrill/loud noises will grate on me in a way that would not bother most people), but not like painfully so or anything. I just perceive them more acutely. This goes for every sense modality.
You took a sedative and it put you to sleep. No theory was confirmed.

I dunno I agree with the guy that Petersen appears weak. Weak genetics, weak mind falling apart after a diagnosis. Everyone will get addicted to benzos but, I don't think he can give me advice or do anything for me.

Vashti Whitfield, Andy Whitfields wife, now that's a mentally strong person.

But I also feel for him because I watch my cousin slow taper and it wasn't pretty.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
To the people who are saying because Jordan Peterson has kind of a breakdown, he can’t give life advice:

You guys do know that psychiatrists and therapists routinely see other therapists of their own right? That doesn’t mean they aren’t good at what they do or aren’t smart or qualified to help people. It just means they are human and need help too. We all do.

oagboghi2

I dunno I agree with the guy that Petersen appears weak. Weak genetics, weak mind falling apart after a diagnosis. Everyone will get addicted to benzos but, I don't think he can give me advice or do anything for me.

Vashti Whitfield, Andy Whitfields wife, now that's a mentally strong person
So is this the new standard now. We are going from “addiction is a disease” to “ walk it off. You’re just weak.”

Simply becuase a person you dislike got addicted to drugs.

I’m shocked you can’t see how pathetic this is

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
It’s not his addiction that makes me think the guy has gone full looney tunes, it’s the fact that he believes in crazy stuff like a meat only diet and subjecting himself to unproven (and clearly dangerous) medical therapies in developing countries.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You've listened to it? Then why did you ask for a "source" for the 25 days of insomnia from apple cider thing?

I'll relisten to it and take notes on other topics. For some reason that insomnia thing stuck out like a sore thumb.
Yeah man that was really weird.

Kenpachii

So the guy has a alergic reaction, gets pills for it, the pills don't do its work but starts to worsen it, he keeps using it because he's now addicated towards it and can't just cold turky stop ( lots of drugs have this problem ), tries to get help to get off it, makes it worse. goes to hospitals shit gets even worse to the point he can't sleep anymore and becomes suicidal, they ship him to mother russia where they get him under control through probably aggressive treatment.

And then some randoms come out and say he can't give life experience or motivational speeches anymore, because dude hitted the shitter with his pills and allergy?

So what if you are a fitness coach and u get a allergic reaction and end up in the hospital nearly dead because wrong pills or pills don't work. How can he not give lessons anymore after he recovers exactly?

U guys make no sense.

Some drugs we got here forgots its name results in the same shit as what this guy is experiencing. Even lowering it by a little bit could make the ground shake severely to the point u cannot walk anymore, imagine stopping cold turkey with that shit. And why do they got it? for allergic reactions. Sounds like the same shit to me that this guy got.

Last edited:
To the people who are saying because Jordan Peterson has kind of a breakdown, he can’t give life advice:

You guys do know that psychiatrists and therapists routinely see other therapists of their own right? That doesn’t mean they aren’t good at what they do or aren’t smart or qualified to help people. It just means they are human and need help too. We all do.

Well his issues also stem from his wife getting diagnosed. He actually has a lot of excuses for why he became addicted. I don't really feel like pain and suffering are valid excuses. Everything seems not his fault because physical reactions removed his agency, but whatever, it happens. Quiting benzos cold turkey just wasn't smart.

His world is on fire, so by his same token he can't give advice, and can't advocate for anything. He's fixing his shit, but he'll always be fixing it now. The fact that he's in coma means that he literally almost died, so hopefully he recovers.

levyjl1988

Banned
People against Jordon Peterson really needs someone in their life to have cancer so they can understand the pain this great man is going through. In the end money is nothing. They say it’s suppose to make yourself comfortable, but in most studies it does more harm than good. Depending on its utilization.

This person helped many people including myself. I don’t understand the ridicule. Those against him haven’t made any significant contribution. I can assume their lives are just as terrible disarray and cannot connect the dots.
Man the world is mad.

SpiceRacz

It’s not his addiction that makes me think the guy has gone full looney tunes, it’s the fact that he believes in crazy stuff like a meat only diet and subjecting himself to unproven (and clearly dangerous) medical therapies in developing countries.

The carnivore diet is pretty popular. Eliminating a lot of the bullshit is why he did it. He apparently had adverse reactions to a lot of different foods. When that's the case, there's not a lot else you can do.

oagboghi2

How is his diet that different from paleo, and why do you care?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Joe Rogan just endorsed the carnivore diet. What diet works for you might not work for someone else.
I mean.. not really.

He endorsed maybe doing it sometimes (with a bunch of supplements.. since.. you know.. it's objectively not enough nutrients on it's own.)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I mean.. not really.

He endorsed maybe doing it sometimes (with a bunch of supplements.. since.. you know.. it's objectively not enough nutrients on it's own.)
Sure if by sometimes you mean six days a week. And last I heard multivitamins were a sham were they not?

IntentionalPun

Sure if by sometimes you mean six days a week. And last I heard multivitamins were a sham were they not?

Tell Joe that; he said he took loads of supplements and vitamins during his month of carnivore diet.

Everything he said about it goes against the entire mantra of the diet.. otherwise, why the day off? Why the supplements? He does not believe in the carnivore diet.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Tell Joe that; he said he took loads of supplements and vitamins during his month of carnivore diet.

Everything he said about it goes against the entire mantra of the diet.. otherwise, why the day off? Why the supplements? He does not believe in the carnivore diet.
You just said sometimes though? So now he doesn't at all?

IntentionalPun

You just said sometimes though? So now he doesn't at all?

Joe Rogan said:
"I don't know that it's a way to eat all the time."

Yeah that sure sounds like he's only suggesting you do it sometimes.

And seriously you calling me out for paraphrasing him as saying "sometimes" when you claimed the man endorsed it based on what he said? What a load of crap. That is not an endorsement.. the mere fact he said he took tons of supplements even on it's own isn't an endorsement of the diet. It goes against the entire mantra of it.

Top Bottom