• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jordan Vogt-Roberts shares concept art for MIA Metal Gear Solid Movie

Director of Kong: Skull Island, who has been linked to the seemingly eternally locked down MGS movie project, shared a new codec video featuring David Hayter and some concept art over the past week.

What would a Metal Gear Solid movie look like if worked on by the visual artists at ILM? As the years pass and the reality of a Metal Gear film feels less and less likely, we have at least got a glimpse at what could have been.

Step up Jordan Vogt-Roberts, director of Kong: Skull Island and self-professed Metal Gear Solid fan, who has been linked to the missing in action Metal Gear Solid movie for more than six years.

Over the past week, Vogt-Roberts has been sharing work from visual effects studio ILM concepting ideas for his Metal Gear Solid movie plans. Oh, and he kicked the whole thing off with a new codec video featuring Mr. Snake himself, David Hayter.

So what's taking so long? Martin chatted with Vogt-Roberts back in 2017 on the current outlook for the long-awaited Metal Gear movie (relationship status: it's complicated) and the many hurdles to actually getting the thing made (something only made harder by creator Hideo Kojima's high-profile departure from Konami).

"Technically it's Konami's property," Vogt-Roberts told Eurogamer at the time. "I will always be making this movie to interpret and service the world that Kojima made. That's why all of us care about the words Metal Gear Solid. Regardless of their split - Kojima and I have become friends and colleagues, and it's important to me to shepherd something that he'd be proud of.

Atrus

Gold Member
It's always good to see people who are fans of the source material. The teaser image is a bit confusing since what looks like Grey Fox as Cyborg Ninja looks more like Raiden due to the hair. Did they like the new Raiden enough to want to borrow his image for Grey Fox?

A movie is going to be kind of weird because the games themselves are based on pop culture, anime, and 90's themes not to mention aspects of Solid Snake being intentionally silly like the bandanna, hiding in a cardboard box, or taking down literal armies solo even if he snuck past the henchman. I wonder how they'll handle the both the hamminess and seriousness of the plot.

It's a tough movie to make to be sure and its made harder due to the fact that Kojima is pretty much blacklisted by Konami.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
He's passionate, I can give him that

The ending with Snake running from the Metal Gear sounds great for the movie, but what the hell was that thing that Snake is drawning? The Gray Fox hallway scene is amazing as it is. Don't fuck this up, man

Top Bottom