• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Otero is leaving IGN and starting a job at Nintendo

BruceCLea

Banned
I love Jose O. He was always on point and made me look at certain things differently when I was mad at Nintendo. He's a class act and a great journalist.

Most importantly he kept things on the RAILS!!!

Porcile

I always knew Jose was going to leave eventually. He was a little too good for games journalism but he had a lot of respect for it and really steered IGN Nintendo right for many years.

Anyway, glad to hear some Peer love on the podcast. Can we just remember how after Matt C and Bozon left, IGN Nintendo was a total mess but Peer remained one of the few old school Nintendo fans still keeping it going. I feel like Peer, Jose and Brian saved IGN Nintendo and made the best Nintendo podcast out there.

TheMoon

Anyway, glad to hear some Peer love on the podcast. Can we just remember how after Matt C and Bozon left, IGN Nintendo was a total mess but Peer remained one of the few old school Nintendo fans still keeping it going. I feel like Peer, Jose and Brian saved IGN Nintendo and made the best Nintendo podcast out there.

True. Picking up the remnants of 1UP and integrating that into IGN made IGN a lot better. Never forget, that's where we got little Jose from. And a brief stint from Jeremy Parish. Still weird to think about that. :)

ToonLink

Aww, I didn't expect it to get so emotional at the end. I'm really going to miss having Jose as the host. I'm happy to hear that Peer will be running it for the mean time. Hopefully they can find someone great for the permanent host position.

Congrats to Jose. Such a great guy and the reason I started listening to IGN podcasts. I thought I was done with that site, but he brought me back.

Bring in Chris Kohler or Jeremy Parish via the Internet!

I don't see this happening, but it would be so great. At least we have Peer hosting for now, a guy I really respect.

I hope they pick Miranda, I miss Anime Club.

Yeah, she'd be a great person to have on the show regularly.

WesFX

Neo Member
Never cared for the guy, though he's not disgusting like other IGN employees. Nintendo and IGN will be a similar place, with/without him.

ReitStuff

Man, the end of that episode was so sad. I've been listening to NVC for so long, it's going to be difficult to adjust to a Jose-less show. Peer should be great as the interim host, and it sounds like they'd like to hire someone from the outside to become the full time host. Maybe they could steal back Tim from Kinda Funny 😂

Gnilres

Good for him! I was sad when Audrey Drake left too but it's been cool seeing her in the Treehouse streams hopefully Jose gets similar screen time.

ameleco

Jose is so great! I am going to miss him :( Any idea what he's doing at Nintendo? Apologies if that has been answered already.

leroidys

Have really enjoyed Jose on NVC (along with Peer and Brian) and his work for IGN. It's hard to find grounded, realistic Nintendo coverage, and NVC was one of the few places that I could get it.

Best of luck at your new gig, Jose. If you're moving north for it, you should definitely hit up Seattle GAF.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
In the end i only listened to NVC for Peer and the occasional Fran-appearance. Brian was always annoying, and Jose never brought much either imo. But im sure he is a great guy, and of course i wish him luck at Nintendo. Really miss the IGN team back in the Casa/Bozon/Harris days though, that was the glory days of IGN Nintendo.

Edit: Yeah Chris Kohler would be the perfect leader of the Nintendo team. He has way more knowledge and imo better perspective on Nintendo than IGN has had in a decade.

Porcile

It would be nice to have someone with a bit of knowledge of Japan and Japanese considering how heavily skewed Nintendo's products are towards Japan. Sometimes the American perspective is a little redundant when it comes to Nintendo. Peer is obviously one such guy, but someone else would be good. Not many of those guys around in the games journalism field.

Congrats Jose! Wish you the best, and I really hope NVC can pick up the slack when you're gone.

But say good bye to your GAF brethern :(. You're not allowed to post on here when employed with them. I had a few interviews late last year for a rep job and they specifically asked if there were any online forums I frequent. Was told posting here is not allowed.

scitek

That's so cool how journalists often leave and go work for the companies they were previously reporting on. Doesn't call their ability to be objective into question at all.

mlclmtckr

Banned
That's so cool how journalists often leave and go work for the companies they were previously reporting on. Doesn't call their ability to be objective into question at all.

I don't know why you'd hold enthusiast internet press to a higher standard than, like, the government.

Suzzopher

This 38 year old almost shed a tear at the end :(

I hope the next host will keep the no swearing rule as NVC is the only podcast I can listen to when I am with my kids.

Jose is awesome! :D
(He is fantastic people and it was great meeting him last year)
Good luck on the new job we (the audience) will miss you at the old one

C8dvAfF.jpg

stoff

Oh wow I didn't expect that.
And wow, he really shaped NVC to make it their best show and ultimately is the reason IGN got me back.
All the best at Nintendo!

I enjoy Peer just as much though, so I am confident NVC will remain as high quality as it is today.

TheOasis

I'll definitely miss Jose as the host of NVC. He always kept the show focused by making sure everyone stayed on topic which appeals to my personal preferences. This, alongside the chemistry between him, Brian and Pier is why I ended up watching the show weekly.

With that said though, congrats to Jose for getting a job at Nintendo! I wish him good luck in his future endeavors.

I'm not a Nintendo guy but I always loved listening to NVC with Jose. I could always see Jose's passion and hard-work! Thanks for all you did, I only hope for good things in your future.

Top Bottom