• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jose Otero is leaving IGN and starting a job at Nintendo

https://twitter.com/jose_otero/status/877557124955488261

"After four amazing years, Thursday is my last day at @IGN and my last Nintendo Voice Chat. Eternally thankful to @PeerIGN, @Stevebutts & all the talented people here who believed in me. And I'd especially like to thank YOU for all the support you've given me during my time at @IGN. As for my future: I got a job with Nintendo, and I'm excited to explore a new career path."

He'll be missed as (IMO) the voice of us hardcore Nintendo fans at IGN. I always looked forward to his insight and opinions on the world of Nintendo.

Good luck, Jose! I think I speak for thousands of us GAFers when I say NVC won't be the same without you.

Chauzu

Well that's a surprise. He was my fav Nintendo writer at IGN so I hope someone can carry that on. Hope he does a good job at Nintendo!

Dystify

Congrats Jose. Your contribution and content at IGN was amazing. I'm excited to see what your future at Nintendo will bring!

Edit: I kinda wrote this directed at him, assuming he'll read this lol.

Jonboy

Well that sucks for NVC listeners, but is incredibly awesome for Jose. He did a fantastic job rejuvenating that podcast and turning into one of IGN's best again. Best of luck Jose! I'll miss you on NVC immensely, but congrats on the new job!

Gotta be the dream for most of these guys/gals, right? Work for IGN/GameSpot/Kotaku/YouTube channel then get a job with a major dev/publisher. Good for Jose. Hope he has a great time!

jacobeid

Banned
Damn, I really loved listening to him every week on NVC. Best of luck, Jose!

Well that sucks for NVC listeners, but is incredibly awesome for Jose. He did a fantastic job rejuvenating that podcast and turning into one of IGN's best again. Best of luck Jose! I'll miss you on NVC immensely, but congrats on the new job!

Agreed completely. NVC got to be an amazing show once he took over.

Deku89

Nintendo keeps on stealing those IGN employees. I guess the best way to get a job at Nintendo is to work at IGN first.

Congrats to Jose, I enjoyed NVC. Wonder who is going to replace him.

Well good for him, bad for everybody else that listen lol. Other than peer im not sure who is well versed and up to date with Nintendo.

Brian Altano is great but other than Peer, nobody else at IGN really shows the kind of passion and joy for Nintendo that Jose does. He speaks for all of us that grew up with Nintendo and can't remember a time Mario and Link weren't in our lives.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Gotta be the dream for most of these guys/gals, right? Work for IGN/GameSpot/Kotaku/YouTube channel then get a job with a major dev/publisher. Good for Jose. Hope he has a great time!

Similar to Billy Berghammer going from PlanetGameCube (and all its other iterations) to now working for the Treehouse

Yonafunu

Damn, why does Nintendo keep stealing these guys away?

Congrats and good luck to Jose, of course. Living the dream.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I noticed they were trying to get more people on NVC as of late both as host and other voices.

Can't say it didn't put my feelers up that they might be prepping for a Jose departure.

Good luck to him at Nintendo.

Btw what's Rich George up to these days? I know he went to that communication firm connected to Nintendo, but not sure what he's doing now.

FelipeMGM

He is a great dude, hope he achieves big things while at Nintendo

Congrats Jose. Your contribution and content at IGN was amazing. I'm excited to see what your future at Nintendo will bring!

Edit: I kinda wrote this directed at him, assuming he'll read this lol.

he has a Gaf account so, who knows

Passose

Banned
No way!

jose
NoWay-Jose.jpg

kbohs

Always a bit weird to see someone take this career path but congrats to him, he is obviously a hardcore Nintendo fan so this must be a dream come true. Haven't listened to the show in a while since I got burnt out on the NX speculation but it was always well produced and actually informed/informative.

TheJoRu

Jose, Peer and Brian has basically been a dream team for NVC, they complement each other extremely well. Jose will definitely leave some big shoes to fill, not really sure who could do it of the current IGN staff.

Tripon

I noticed they were trying to get more people on NVC as of late both as host and other voices.

Can't say it didn't put my feelers up that they might be prepping for a Jose departure.

Good luck to him at Nintendo.

Btw what's Rich George up to these days? I know he went to that communication firm connected to Nintendo, but not sure what he's doing now.
He still works there.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
IGN is like a Treehouse academy. Rich and Audrey and I think it was also somebody else followed the same path.

Charamiwa

Banned
I liked him, wonder who will fill the Nintendo spot at IGN.

Also it's gonna be weird when he goes back to NVC in full PR mode.

Damn...he's the 3rd IGN Nintendo person to do this in a row...

Explains why we saw no content from him over E3. I kept wondering where he was and why he wasn't on ANY e3 stuff, especially with such a huge showing.

This sucks for NVC and IGN fans, but I'm happy for Jose. Dude is awesome and now working for the company he loves.

Oh man Jose was one of my favorite editors at IGN and loved listening to him every week on NVC so this sucks, but at the same time it's awesome to see him go over to Nintendo. Wish him all the best at the big N.

jacobeid

Banned
Brian Altano is great but other than Peer, nobody else at IGN really shows the kind of passion and joy for Nintendo that Jose does. He speaks for all of us that grew up with Nintendo and can't remember a time Mario and Link weren't in our lives.

What about Sam? I could see him appearing on NVC more often, though I'm not sure if him or Brian would host.

What's up with Nintendo getting all of IGN's Nintendo people

We need them too!

Retaliation for IGN stealing Mike Drucker away from the Treehouse. /s

Guess I should put in an application to write for IGN, huh?

Congrats to Jose! It'll be interesting to see what he does in the future. Do we know what he's going to be doing at Nintendo? IMO it would be cool if he landed in the Treehouse like Audrey did.

Razlo

He's great at what he does.

I hope this means we get similar content, but on Nintendo's YouTube or Directs from him.

TheMoon

Look at the bottom of Nintendo's press releases or their E3 fact sheets and who wrote them. :)

(He's still at Golin Harris)

Guess I should put in an application to write for IGN, huh?

Congrats to Jose! It'll be interesting to see what he does in the future. Do we know what he's going to be doing at Nintendo? IMO it would be cool if he landed in the Treehouse like Audrey did.

Wouldn't it be awesome if he was something like GAF liaison to Nintendo? lol

He could tell them all of our awful ideas and maybe get a few of them into games!

What about Sam? I could see him appearing on NVC more often, though I'm not sure if him or Brian would host.

Retaliation for IGN stealing Mike Drucker away from the Treehouse. /s

Sam is in charge of IGN Guides/Wikis. It will be whoever takes over as Nintendo lead writer at IGN. Maybe Brenden takes over?

Well that's a surprise. He was my fav Nintendo writer at IGN so I hope someone can carry that on. Hope he does a good job at Nintendo!
Are you really surprised? I enjoy NVC, but I've always felt like Jose would rather just be working for Nintendo lol.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Hah congrats - i knew this was going to happen when Audrey left...always felt like he wanted a Job at Nintendo thats why he was extra passionate with everything Nintendo related - cant blame him, great for him.

rhandino

Banned
Congrats!!!

I don't follow IGN that much but I remember him from the days when everyone was trying to wrap a review of Xenoblade X and he was hella late with it and people were mad for some reason but in the end the review was excellent =3

Top Bottom