• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joseph Mallozzi confirmed on Twitter "Amazon definitely planning a new Stargate series"

Oberstein

It's often been proclaimed, but for once, it finally feels real. Even if we don't know if it will be a reboot, spin-off, etc...

Lately, Joseph Mallozzi, producer and writer for SG1 has been very active on the Stargate reddit, frequently posting messages related to a new Stargate series.

In fact, Amazon has the rights to the license officially since March 2022. So at least it's not Netflix.

It's been 16 years since Stargate SG1 was stopped, in 2007. Time flies... well, in the meantime, there are Atlantis and SGU, but the beautiful era of the license was SG1.

Why is Stargate SG1 good?

- Since Star Trek, it's the Sci-fi series in episodic format that really worked.
- If you look at the series again now, there are many episodes that have aged very well. In fact, with time, it's gotten better.
- Contrary to other episodic series, it takes well into account the past events: the alien devices are reused in the episodes on earth. And at the end of season 10, we really feel the difference with the first episodes. The characters have evolved, the Earth is protected with their own ships, etc.
- The humor works well, but... I'm afraid that with a new series, it's going to fail now. Marvel's humor is crap in comparison.
- The series, the Stargate principle, still works really well.

image_widget_dkwhg38x54e91.jpg

Hopefully they won't screw it up now...

jason10mm

Gold Member
I hate to be that cynical guy....so I'm just gonna say "I'm sure the new series will be great!"

I've lost track of the SG universe (heh heh) at this point, but aren't humans basically taking over the galaxy? So this will probably be a total reset, including rebooting the OG film, or is there real value in continuing the story? I feel like Atlantis and Universe specifically tried to divorce themselves from Earth stuff just to stop having to deal with an increasingly unrecognizable situation (though this was in the days before endless crossovers).

A core group of LIKEABLE, SCIENCE MINDED, EXPLORATION DRIVEN characters going on episodic adventures with steady growth across seasons.....can it be done today? Or will we get yet more constant character conflict, no attempt to cleverly deal with modern topics in a sci-fi skin but rather naked "in your face" preaching, and instead of universal family appeal (that SPECTACULAR one scene in S1E1 aside :p ) of adulting mixed with light hearted fun we get that damned annoying precocious kid characters and pathetic teenage love triangles and/or endless grimdark moping?

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
We can only hope. At worse we will have new versions of the gate, new weapons and ships.
At best we will have a true sequel to one of the best sci fi series to ever exist.

Trilobit

SG Atlantis was amazing. I binged it during a stressful time in my life and afterwards listened to Johnny Cash for quite a while.

Looking forward to the next iteration to see if it has a good enough new angle and cast.

Last edited:

Kadve

I liked the movie and like the first five-ish seasons of the show. The rest was kind of bad.
That's because those where the original seasons as planned by the writers (The Apophis arc, Season 1-4). Everything else (Anubis 5-7, Replicators 8 and "Fargate" 9-10) were just appendixes.

Anyway as long as as they don't take the Star Trek route and the "update" just means they retcon everything to become darker and more serious i'm all in for it.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

It's happening.

I believe a reboot would be best. The new lead can (but does not have to) be a woman. Let her be her own character and not a wannabe female O'Neil. To contradict myself I mean different than RDA's O'Neil.

Mainly, let the explorers do their explorer things while eventually stirring up the hornets nest like they always do.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
One my all time favourite shows, currently on S3 of a rewatch, it's like hanging out with old friends and having a laugh at some of the really really bad episodes of which there are a few but mainly they're all great but O'Neil just carries the show complimented by his excellent co-stars.

Definitely up for a new series or reboot or whatever, just make it fucking good and don't hire any cunt with purple hair or pronouns in their bio for the love of god. Your inbuilt fan base for this show is all old guys & gals who don't give a hootin shit about woke shite, alienate them and the show dies

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Definitely up for a new series or reboot or whatever, just make it fucking good and don't hire any cunt with purple hair or pronouns in their bio for the love of god. Your inbuilt fan base for this show is all old guys & gals who don't give a hootin shit about woke shite, alienate them and the show dies
At the very least, if any such issue is addressed in the show then present it in a way where both sides agree to disagree. It's an issue which can be present but not the main focus.

Ballthyrm

What they need is a good team of writers. We have had a lot of shows recently falling despite pouring tons of ressource into them because they had crappy writing.
As it is a existing franchise there is the risk also of the writer just no getting what made the first one successful, we've seen that with start trek and it's painful.

So until I can evaluate their creative team resume, I will consider that this will be a giant pile of shit.
You just had to look at the LOTR team to see that it wasn't going to end well.

Facism

Would be nice if i could actually watch SG1 on Prime instead of needing a seperate MGM sub, seeing as Amazon own the fucking property now ;_;

Banned
I want Universe season 3!
bring back the whole crew of the original show... just say the cryo sleep didn't work correctly which is why they aged or something...

Fools idol

Banned
season 1 is timeless sci fi classic territory... have to admit I didnt watch must past season 3 as it started getting a bit silly.

I was fascinated by the lore of the first season. Finding the gates, discovering what they do, who created them etc... just really interesting plot lines.

Banned
season 1 is timeless sci fi classic territory... have to admit I didnt watch must past season 3 as it started getting a bit silly.

I was fascinated by the lore of the first season. Finding the gates, discovering what they do, who created them etc... just really interesting plot lines.

have you seen SG Universe?
if it went to silly for you, maybe Universe will be more to your liking as it's a more serious show.

Oberstein

I can't get excited. SG1 was GOAT, but current year output of shit...
Incoming wokegate
It's happening.

Yeah, that might be a problem. SG1 lacks diversity and no gay couples.

Plus O'neill is a macho man, so he will be replaced by a strong woman of color who will refuse the orders of the white male Hammond of Texas... just kidding, but that could be the case.

What they need is a good team of writers. We have had a lot of shows recently falling despite pouring tons of ressource into them because they had crappy writing.
As it is a existing franchise there is the risk also of the writer just no getting what made the first one successful, we've seen that with start trek and it's painful.

So until I can evaluate their creative team resume, I will consider that this will be a giant pile of shit.
You just had to look at the LOTR team to see that it wasn't going to end well.

Apparently there would be no member of the old SG1 staff for this reboot/remake/?, it's Joseph Mallozzi who confirmed it on Twitter... we'll see.

Lets be honest, this was the best part, BY FAR, of SG:U

w2sYj7C.jpg

giphy.gif

Top Bottom