• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joss Whedon Reportedly Wants To Direct Another Justice League Movie For WB

Airbus Jr

Banned
When Zack Snyder was forced to leave Justice League when the movie was in the midst of production, his replacement Joss Whedon felt like something of a strange choice. The DCEU had been battling against claims they were simply trying to replicate the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula since day one, and hiring the guy that had written and directed two Avengers movies wasn’t exactly doing that reputation any favors.

Then there were the obvious stylistic differences between Whedon and Snyder, with the latter having established the visual and narrative aesthetic for the superhero series in Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, while the former was known for his signature quip-heavy dialogue, leading many to wonder how filmmakers with such different styles could manage to extract a great Justice League movie out of such a situation, especially when they weren’t even working together. The short answer is, they couldn’t.

The extensive re-writes and reshoots drastically altered the tone of Justice League, and the theatrical cut is clearly the result of two different and clashing visions being bolted together in post-production, with Whedon taking some serious flak from the same DCEU fans who have almost deified Snyder as the genius behind the original cut of the movie that might not even see the light of day.

images

Having received critical acclaim and almost $3 billion at the box office for his Avengers movies, Whedon can’t have been too happy that Justice League got a much more tepid reaction, and ended up losing Warner Bros. money despite earning over $650 million globally. But now we’ve heard that he wants another bite at the cherry in an effort to redeem himself.

According to our sources – the same ones who told us that both Justice League Dark and Green Lantern shows were coming to HBO Max – Whedon has thrown his hat into the ring to direct another Justice League movie for the studio. While Warner Bros. are reportedly planning on giving the planned reboot to either J.J. Abrams or James Gunn, they’re still considering his request and may instead allow him to do an Elseworlds-style JL pic, something set outside the DCEU continuity with a different team line-up and different actors in the roles.

Apparently, Whedon doesn’t want his reputation tarnished by Justice League and is keen to make amends, and allowing him to take another stab at the property, but outside of the DCEU and free from its continuity, may be an interesting idea. After all, he’s proven himself adept at handling big budget comic book movies thanks to his work in the MCU and we’re sure that with a production that’s not as troubled behind the scenes as the original Justice League was, he’d be able to do a much better job.
images

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I was gonna say he's desperate for work but I know he's working on a HBO show right now so he's in with Warner for the time being. Just let the Snyder cut get finished and then go from there.

HeadsUp7Up

Nah I’ll pass. I don’t have a problem with his movies but leave the quip heavy movies to Marvel. I’d like a different feel from DC.

Mr Hyde

Yeah, he's been a total mess since turning into the SJW poster child.

I don't care about his political antics, haven't been following him at all since I avoid his works. Reading up about it though makes him even more insufferable than he was before, which is quite the feat.

No, I dislike him because imo he hasn't directed or written anything worthwhile during his entire career, including Cabin in the Woods, which seems to get a lot of praise. His work in sci-fi is laughable compared to the real auteurs in the genre. Buffy? Serenity? Avengers? I don't even. It's mainstream shite created for the lowest common denominator.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I don't care about his political antics, haven't been following him at all since I avoid his works. Reading up about it though makes him even more insufferable than he was before, which is quite the feat.

No, I dislike him because imo he hasn't directed or written anything worthwhile during his entire career, including Cabin in the Woods, which seems to get a lot of praise. His work in sci-fi is laughable compared to the real auteurs in the genre. Buffy? Serenity? Avengers? I don't even. It's mainstream shite created for the lowest common denominator.

He's overrated for sure, just by measure of doing creative stuff when TV was more paint-by-numbers, but...

I dunno. Buffy, Angel, and Cabin were a lot of fun, and Firefly was cool, even if way overhyped.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Random reminder that Joss Whedon lectured everyone on feminism (amongst other things) for years, while allegedly cheating on his wife the entire time, with multiple starlets from his show. Peak Male Feminist.

Proceed.
Quoted for truth. Didn't he also blame his affairs on "the patriarchy" or some bullshit like that? Dude is a clown. His Avengers movies have aged like shit.

teezzy

Banned
Dont forget about Dollhouse, y'all

promo-thetarget-011.jpg

Everyone always forgets about Dollhouse.

Whedon can get preachy, but he writes some fantastic television. I prefer his original creations by far to him playing around with someone else's IP.

Though I've heard great things about his comic run on Astonishing X-Men. I'll read it one of these days.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Yeah, Scorsese's remarks on these flicks being theme park rides couldn't be more appropriate.

You can't really blame executives either though. With all the money riding on these flicks, their marketing campaigns, and merchandising; I wouldn't be willing to take much risk either.

Doom85

Why make it a reboot? Wonder Woman and Aquaman obviously aren't going anywhere due to how successful their films were. Cavill might be willing to return as Supes given recently what's come to light. There was that incident with Ezra Miller (Flash) but it seemed confusing what actually went down and nobody talked about it since so I assume he could still return. The guy who played Cyborg doesn't have a busy schedule according to IMDb so I can't imagine he'd turn it down.

Ultimately just Batman would have to be recast (can't be Pattinson as his movie is supposed to be set around 20 years before MoS/BvS) and sure it sucks to lose Affleck as he gave a great performance in the movies he was in (I wish people had made it more clear to him the criticism of the movie was mostly at the script and such, NOT his performance. That sad Affleck meme honestly never made me laugh, it just made me sad) but if we're only recasting one major character (hopefully) that doesn't require a reboot. Nobody was like, "fuck, we lost Terrence Howard, guess we got to reboot Iron Man!" or "fuck, we lost Edward Norton, guess we got to reboot all of Phase 1!"

Rian Johnson for the middle film, so we can have another amazing time on the internet again.

giphy.gif

There was that incident with Ezra Miller (Flash) but it seemed confusing what actually went down and nobody talked about it since so I assume he could still return. The guy who played Cyborg doesn't have a busy schedule according to IMDb so I can't imagine he'd turn it down.

They could continue on without Ezra anyway IMO. He was flash for like 10 minutes (I mean, I am exaggerating, but still), that character can be recast easily without rebooting (again IMO). I thought he was pretty weak anyway.

But I agree, no need to reboot. Shazam, Aquaman, and WW are successes. Whoever ends up as Batman moving forward with JL crew should do fine.

Nymphae

Banned
Yeah, Scorsese's remarks on these flicks being theme park rides couldn't be more appropriate.

It's funny, did acclaimed authors ever feel the need to take a dump on the medium of comics? I feel like it used to be well understood that literature was for adults and adolescents that wanted to think a little deeper, and comics were for children. Today's bugmen however recoil at the notion that the latest MCU turd isn't War & Peace. Maybe Scorsese wouldn't have felt the need to state what he did if the entirety of our culture didn't prefer Avengers flicks to books.

teezzy

Banned
It's funny, did acclaimed authors ever feel the need to take a dump on the medium of comics? I feel like it used to be well understood that literature was for adults and adolescents that wanted to think a little deeper, and comics were for children. Today's bugmen however recoil at the notion that the latest MCU turd isn't War & Peace. Maybe Scorsese wouldn't have felt the need to state what he did if the entirety of our culture didn't prefer Avengers flicks to books.

I'm not versed enough to weigh in on that, but similarly: Roy Lichtenstein flipped the high art world on its head in the 1960s when he started making those gallery sized paintings based on comic book panels.

250px-Masteripiece.jpg

Secret+Hearts+%2383,+Nov.+1962+rowning+girl_comp.jpg

Dude would straight up project other artists' comic art onto a canvas and just trace it with paint at a much larger scale; Benday dots and all. Caused art critics to reassess their preconceived notions, maaaaaaaan.

file-20170925-17390-1piuw1a.png

In an odd way, he legitimized comic art. In way which dudes like Kirby and Ditko were unable to for whatever reason. Fuck high society types lol.

Last edited:
Can anyone really blame him for cheating on his wife even if he was a feminist? He has a dick after all.

If you're rich and partially powerful (lol) you're going to choose busting a nut over not busting a nut.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can't ever unsee Joss Whedon blaming the patriarchy when explaining to his wife why he cheated on her with numerous starlets. What a clown.

"
“Fifteen years later, when he was done with our marriage and finally ready to tell the truth, he wrote me, ‘When I was running ‘Buffy,’ I was surrounded by beautiful, needy, aggressive young women. It felt like I had a disease, like something from a Greek myth. Suddenly I am a powerful producer and the world is laid out at my feet and I can’t touch it,’” Cole recounted. “But he did touch it.”
Cole wrote that Whedon “accepted the duality” of having constant affairs and remaining married to a wife he concealed those affairs from as part of his life.

“Later, after he confessed everything, he told me, ‘I let myself love you. I stopped worrying about the contradiction. As a guilty man I knew the only way to hide was to act as though I were righteous. And as a husband, I wanted to be with you like we had been. I lived two lives,’” she wrote.

Cole wrote that when Whedon left her, he chalked up his behavior to the over-sexualized, patriarchal culture that men are apparently inevitably bound to get caught up in.

“When he walked out of our marriage, and was trying to make ‘things seem less bewildering’ to help me understand how he could have lied to me for so long,” Cole wrote. “He said, ‘In many ways I was the HEIGHT of normal, in this culture. We’re taught to be providers and companions and at the same time, to conquer and acquire ― specifically sexually ― and I was pulling off both!’”
"

-Arcadia-

Banned
I heard the CW is hiring Joss

This would be a pretty good move. Shows last forever on The CW, are bent towards fantasy, and basically a perfect fit for Joss to do whatever, and actually tell the whole story.

Too bad that both are so obsessed with leftist stuff that there's zero chance of anything decent, or at least not obnoxious. :messenger_confused:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
When Zack Snyder was forced to leave Justice League when the movie was in the midst of production, his replacement Joss Whedon felt like something of a strange choice. The DCEU had been battling against claims they were simply trying to replicate the Marvel Cinematic Universe formula since day one, and hiring the guy that had written and directed two Avengers movies wasn’t exactly doing that reputation any favors.

Then there were the obvious stylistic differences between Whedon and Snyder, with the latter having established the visual and narrative aesthetic for the superhero series in Man of Steel and Batman V Superman, while the former was known for his signature quip-heavy dialogue, leading many to wonder how filmmakers with such different styles could manage to extract a great Justice League movie out of such a situation, especially when they weren’t even working together. The short answer is, they couldn’t.

The extensive re-writes and reshoots drastically altered the tone of Justice League, and the theatrical cut is clearly the result of two different and clashing visions being bolted together in post-production, with Whedon taking some serious flak from the same DCEU fans who have almost deified Snyder as the genius behind the original cut of the movie that might not even see the light of day.

images

Having received critical acclaim and almost $3 billion at the box office for his Avengers movies, Whedon can’t have been too happy that Justice League got a much more tepid reaction, and ended up losing Warner Bros. money despite earning over $650 million globally. But now we’ve heard that he wants another bite at the cherry in an effort to redeem himself.

According to our sources – the same ones who told us that both Justice League Dark and Green Lantern shows were coming to HBO Max – Whedon has thrown his hat into the ring to direct another Justice League movie for the studio. While Warner Bros. are reportedly planning on giving the planned reboot to either J.J. Abrams or James Gunn, they’re still considering his request and may instead allow him to do an Elseworlds-style JL pic, something set outside the DCEU continuity with a different team line-up and different actors in the roles.

Apparently, Whedon doesn’t want his reputation tarnished by Justice League and is keen to make amends, and allowing him to take another stab at the property, but outside of the DCEU and free from its continuity, may be an interesting idea. After all, he’s proven himself adept at handling big budget comic book movies thanks to his work in the MCU and we’re sure that with a production that’s not as troubled behind the scenes as the original Justice League was, he’d be able to do a much better job.
images

... I enjoyed his work on Angel, Avengers, etc..., but no single movie can replicate what went right with the MCU... which is a massive multi year multi billions slow-ish build up. When he directed Avenger, he had already benefited from the many years of work behind Iron-man 1 &2, Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, and the Hulk. That was a lot built before to make it successful... same thing for the Infinity War/Endgame combo...

GeorgPrime

Banned
Can anyone really blame him for cheating on his wife even if he was a feminist? He has a dick after all.

If you're rich and partially powerful (lol) you're going to choose busting a nut over not busting a nut.

If you cant proof your words, you can just shut the fuck up because nobody wants to listen to your bullshit.

Its like saying you support those protests until they burn down the starbucks in your neighbourhood and after it you dont like those protests.

Last edited:

WW's Patty Jenkins turned down a JL movie opportunity

Wonder Woman 1984 director Patty Jenkins has revealed that she was once offered the chance to direct a Justice League movie, but she ultimately decided to turn the project down.
"I love comics, but I've come to superheroes through films," she said. "There is in me this desire to emulate compared to the movies I saw as a child. A certain spirit that reigned in those times. Is that relevant when I shoot? I don't know.

"The point is, unlike other directors, I don't really care about shared universes, continuity, and that kind of detail. I've been contacted to make a Justice League movie in the past, and it doesn't connect to me. Too many characters."

It is unclear whether Jenkins was contacted over Zack Snyder's Justice League reshoot, eventually completed by Joss Whedon, or whether she was offered a sequel movie, or an entirely different Justice League project altogether.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does it really matter if Whedon cheated on his wife? The guy launched the careers of dozens of women. He hurt one woman but helped many.

I thought that was the point of "equality of outcome"?

Top Bottom